Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Concept Art Thread] Smuggler's Refuge | The Road to Completion

MissMarifire

Bumping to announce that the concept, The Virtuous Star, has been showcased on Prime Time. I have already made a forum post about my thoughts on it, so I won't repeat myself. With this, I will be drawing something in celebration.

For now, however, here is another work-in-progress of Jyoti. Not much has been made, but it's still progress nonetheless. 

Spoiler

iT9erGC.png

The newest Faus is very good, and the new info blurb is good. No complaints, and it'll be interesting to see where more tweaks take it.

Jyoti's profile looks like it's coming along well, as are the Grineer band's profiles.

No advice for the sketching block, other than to try your hand at something else (art or otherwise) and take a break from it. It'll come back to you.

I've just recently received a very beautiful piece from @evergreenmind as part of an art trade between the two of us. She did a piece for Jyoti, while I did a piece for Asimina Bek, which I'll be posting in the art thread for that concept as soon as it's done. This piece is absolutely gorgeous and I don't know if I could be able to thank her enough for doing such a wonderful job on it.

Spoiler

tumblr_oczylm5DZa1umflspo1_1280.png

This aside, not much has been done concept-wise. As soon as my part of our art trade has been completed, Jyoti's paint will be my next big focus to finish, as well as getting Harktor's designs cleaned up, and hopefully painted.

I've decided that because of the similarities between the band's designs and Thadya's, Thadya will only be receiving minor edits to her design as opposed to a full redesign.

2 minutes ago, MissMarifire said:

I've just recently received a very beautiful piece from @evergreenmind as part of an art trade between the two of us. She did a piece for Jyoti, while I did a piece for Asimina Bek, which I'll be posting in the art thread for that concept as soon as it's done. This piece is absolutely gorgeous and I don't know if I could be able to thank her enough for doing such a wonderful job on it.

Hide contents

tumblr_oczylm5DZa1umflspo1_1280.png

This aside, not much has been done concept-wise. As soon as my part of our art trade has been completed, Jyoti's paint will be my next big focus to finish, as well as getting Harktor's designs cleaned up, and hopefully painted.

I've decided that because of the similarities between the band's designs and Thadya's, Thadya will only be receiving minor edits to her design as opposed to a full redesign.

*gasp*

it's so pwetty

I've finished giving Jyoti his cell-coloured reference. Like before, right is his band outfit, left is an alternate.

The colouring of his band outfit is based on the drawing EGM made for me during our art trade.

Spoiler

tumblr_od9qhnJQ8J1ujyzt4o1_1280.png

Also, here are some palette tweaks for his band outfit.

Spoiler

WdzpxnS.png

Edited by MissMarifire

@evergreenmind has been doing pixel art for her Asimina Bek art thread, and she lended me the guide she uses to make them.

So I made a pixel Jyoti. Full-size to the left, 400% canvas on the right.

Spoiler

OgtubeX.png

Bonus: a little height comparison between him and the Faus sprite EGM made, which I based his height off of. Interesting to see the two extremes.

OGc4Hof.png

For someone who hasn't done pixel art in forever, it feels refreshing going back to it. Sure, eventually I'll have to go through and fix up all the kinks, but that aside it looks nice.

Edited by MissMarifire

2 minutes ago, MissMarifire said:

@evergreenmind has been doing pixel art for her Asimina Bek art thread, and she lended me the guide she uses to make them.

So I made a pixel Jyoti. Full-size to the left, 400% canvas on the right.

Hide contents

OgtubeX.png

For someone who hasn't done pixel art in forever, it feels refreshing going back to it. Sure, eventually I'll have to go through and fix up all the kinks, but that aside it looks nice.

guide pls 

cannot art

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2016 at 7:42 PM, Trash_Frame said:

blep, birthday gift for the small marifire <3 of her character Varmia X.

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_odxix5M4sk1v7ifr1o1_1280.png

Ghh, Steel pls <3

Couple things, first is a real rough sketch of some pre-Nevdrus Thadya and Tullic:

Spoiler

8pcqQXa.png

And a mockup design for Tullic's design. Not fond of it just yet, but it'll be good for when I go through and refine his design.

Spoiler

tumblr_oei4jahiLy1r8w24zo1_1280.png

And finally, a rather comical sketch I did for fun since it's October now and dressing up as things you're not is a thing.

And the more excuses to draw dumb things, the better. Especially if it includes... uh... outfits.

Spoiler

0vzuahS.png

Edited by MissMarifire

12 hours ago, MissMarifire said:

And a mockup design for Tullic's design. Not fond of it just yet, but it'll be good for when I go through and refine his design.

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_oei4jahiLy1r8w24zo1_1280.png

And finally, a rather comical sketch I did for fun since it's October now and dressing up as things you're not is a thing.

And the more excuses to draw dumb things, the better. Especially if it includes... uh... outfits.

Reveal hidden contents

0vzuahS.png

I recommend with Tullic trying out stuff like teal or turquoise, like shades of blue but not pure blue. Pair it with either dark gray washed blue or almost white shades. My chub band hub must look handsome U_U

Not enough chestwindow on Darvo. (is that pic with them on-scale? To me Faus looks like a oompa-loompa, might wanna check that...)

8 minutes ago, evergreenmind said:

I recommend with Tullic trying out stuff like teal or turquoise, like shades of blue but not pure blue. Pair it with either dark gray washed blue or almost white shades. My chub band hub must look handsome U_U

Not enough chestwindow on Darvo. (is that pic with them on-scale? To me Faus looks like a oompa-loompa, might wanna check that...)

Could try it whenever I get home. I'll see about trying out some other outfits for him, too. Gotta make the chub band hub perfect <3

No, didn't intend on it being accurate, it was something fun on a whim. After all, chest windows on Darvo.

On a more serious note, comparing their base heights (Faus is 5'1 with heels, Darvo is 6'4 according to a chart that's somewhere here) comparing the heights with the additive three inches of heel onto Darvo (Making Darvo here 6'8 with heels, while Faus is... 4'10 without heels.), it'd be about right, if anything I'd need to make Faus a little taller since I drew her on her toes.

So yes, Faus is meant to be absurdly short compared to virtually everything. I imagine she has Jyoti help her get stuff off of the higher shelves.

Ah, yes, he "helps" ...

Spoiler

F5sV6fw.png

1 hour ago, MissMarifire said:

No, didn't intend on it being accurate, it was something fun on a whim. After all, chest windows on Darvo.

... Are you saying chest windows are not accurate on him? Then again, i don't think papa Bek would appreciate too much.

Spoiler

pmw4aQn.png

(I'm working on this atm and it fits very well)

8 hours ago, evergreenmind said:

Ah, yes, he "helps" ...

Hide contents

F5sV6fw.png

More like helps him destroy his spine by being almost twice his weight while sitting on his shoulders amirite

... Are you saying chest windows are not accurate on him? Then again, i don't think papa Bek would appreciate too much.

Reveal hidden contents

pmw4aQn.png

(I'm working on this atm and it fits very well)

Chest windows are accurate on him, though. I'm talking about that expression he's making; I bet he'd rock that outfit, he just wouldn't do it in front of us, sadly

also is frohd jealous cause his son can flaunt it better than him

---

Made up an alternative palette for the chubby band hubby Tullic based on what you suggested, with some varied saturation levels and with some really lazy shading for your viewing pleasure.

Spoiler

zgObMkMg.png

Hopefully, once I'm done designing the band and likely have designed Harktor and Lares, I wanna go through and maybe give 'em dumb hats, cause it'd be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering it's been over a week, I've figured it's about time to update.

Working on some art for Zeribus Ved:

Spoiler

So5PQCC.png

One on the left is a throwback to his old design minus...

Spoiler

Tk4kc4A.png

YAOI HANDS.

Honest, for whatever reason this isn't on my saves for MediBang on my phone, so I had to dig this out from my art blog.

Bonus: Smuggle Buddies, because StallordD requested that I refine a really dumb sketch of mine that I made after I drew up his designs. It looks... bad, but adorable, really.

Spoiler

ocF0DGL.png

Edited by MissMarifire