Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

MaaYuu's Foundry - Mag Scabrus Skin

_malaya_

On 9/21/2016 at 11:11 AM, MaaYuu said:

I'm thinking about making the membranes of the wings transparent like Sari V1... Might look terrible cause it has thickness though

It is looking a bit wide, but it'll be in multiple parts so I have room to move stuff around if need be. Here's how it looks like on Mag:

Hide contents

TjeNajV.png

Ahh ok, I was imagining it as much larger. That size does look good!

7 hours ago, MaaYuu said:

This thing is in dire need of triangles :( Did a quick texture test and it looks like i'm gonna have to make some big changes to stay under the triangle limit cause the geometry isn't looking good.

No surprise there. The entire design is full of holes, those are sucking up triangles.

Isn't there a way to do empty spaces using the texture rather than the model?

So... I decided to do a Tennogen set for a school project. I'll keep working on the Sari though and I intend to get it done in time for next round; but my main priority right now is getting these concepts fleshed out:

Spoiler

yWCdf3G.jpgsX5CZ4t.jpg

I started with the idea of highlighting her psychic abilities with something like a neural interface strapped to her head. Other ideas included antennae and satellite dishes.

For the body I played around with how to make her look completely different from Excalibur while still working with her default and alt helmets. With #3 I went for  straitjacket style with straps that ended at nodes like on the helmet. Still wanting to explore that idea but I'm a bit stumped. #4 is looking pretty good right now and seems like it'll go well with the helmet. .

You can probably tell why I went with the name Saikou lol. In Japanese it means:  the highest; supreme; maximum.

23 hours ago, Brachion said:

I would personally suggest basing the tint and materials off of the Oberon Feyarch skin, since it clearly takes inspiration from it anyway. Might as well make it match!

Gotcha!

20 hours ago, Syncrasis said:

Ahh ok, I was imagining it as much larger. That size does look good!

I gotta admit, it would be even better if it extended down to the calves. I'll keep that in mind as I'm modifying it

16 hours ago, Kyotra said:

No surprise there. The entire design is full of holes, those are sucking up triangles.

Isn't there a way to do empty spaces using the texture rather than the model?

I'm thinking i'd just make the wings without thickness and use an opacity map to make the holes, But just from how the inner wings look, I really don't wanna do that :/ What I'll do is make the side roots smaller, remove some holes and just make the wings float. Hopefully it'll require less geometry and i'll look a bit more like the original Sari.

12 hours ago, (PS4)Poloboyzz93 said:

All very nice. The besouro is dope. The 2nd selection 2nd pic for Sari is definitely the better of them, Are you trying to go for a moth syandana style with the Sari Syandana ?

My intent was to make a Syandana that went well with Oberon and Titania, and so I used Monarch Butterflies as reference

Edited by MaaYuu
capitalization

For the sari, you don't need that much geom for the cloth parts. You can easily remove some if you need to focus on detail elsewhere. You should also really cut down on the faces that face inward towards the frame, as those will almost never be seen.

I personally think you should do away with the wood textures, as the 'wood' on the Feyarch skin is for the most part not that noisy.

Lastly, invert your normal green channel on Sketchfab.

Welp, it took a while, but I did it.and with plenty of triangles to spare. I'll use most of it to add some glowy bits, but I'l put some towards making the rest of the model not as wobbly.

Od2KoVy.png

19 hours ago, alexmach1 said:

personally think you should do away with the wood textures, as the 'wood' on the Feyarch skin is for the most part not that noisy.

Good point. Plus the wood material kinda destroys the sculpting detail. I'll make it the same material as Oberon's "wood parts"

Went ahead and started sketching on the body model for my Nyx Skin. Haven't sorted out the design for the legs and the back, but since i have the chest sorted out I have a good idea of where to go. Would probably be a wiser decision to finish this concept though.

N9qLl48.png

baPnLBa.png

On 10/3/2016 at 3:45 AM, Lucha said:

I wonder how DE will rig it. Anyways it's a huge progress, I can't imagine what efforts did it take to make such a masterpiece.

Hopefully they'll be able to do it this time...

Helmet proportions definitely needs work, I'll keep adjusting it till I get it right. I was pretty set on the clover eyes cause it looked pretty good in the concept art, but I guess it doesn't really fit with the body so I'll try and think of a solution

JZTOCLY.png

Edited by MaaYuu

the clover eyes could work I think, the thing that throws me off is the little pointy bits inside of it. The concept eyes work because its 3 intersecting circles. When you sculpt it like a clover it becomes a bit...well.. harsh?

Maybe skip sculpting the clover and just have the shape as a tint?

Thanks guys. Changed the shape to be a lot less spiky and reduced the size and depth. Below is a test of the new alpha I made for the eyes.  I really wanna retain the circles cause I want it to have a hypnotic feel (like the concentric circles and spirals normally associated with hypnosis) and the honeycomb would be too much like the Vespa helmet. I do like alexmach1's idea of the lines and I'll find a way to incorporate that

Spoiler

rdCkg1P.png

mfcJ2PD.png