Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Arcanes 3.0

Magnus

In Devstream 78 at 49:35, Steve had said this, "Unless I see a better suggestion from our community that isn't just make it a mod, which is, we d- we don't, we definitely don't wanna do that. We want to have a different feel for it."

This topic will be filled with as many ideas as possible that work well, within three important guidelines: Arcanes should not be tied to cosmetics, not Arcane Enhacenements or Arcane Helmets; you should not need more than one set to equip the same Arcane to multiple Warframes; and it must be equipped in a different way, something more than simple.

You can find my other work here.

----------

In a game so heavily focused on customization, it's not okay to restrict it with stats tied to them. Many people love Loki Prime's helmet... but with Swindle and Essence, the options are either wear one of them to do your best, or hurt your efficiency for the sake of appearance. Then there's Warframes that don't really look good with syandanas at all, namely Chroma, so you have to force yourself to wear one if you want two Arcane Enhancements on.. or deal with clipping galore.

However, it's not just visual customization that is an issue.

The secondary issue of Arcanes is the limitation of equipping across multiple Warframes. Arcane Energize is notably popular, and because of that, so is its cost in Trade. It's very useful in that not only do you get a lot more energy for yourself, and your team, but it also gives you the freedom to take lower efficiency builds on a Warframe.

But you worked hard (or paid a lot) for that one set, and you can only use it on one Warframe. To move it from one Warframe to another, you've got to go to the Foundry, unequip it from one helmet or syandana, find another syandana that looks better with the other frame or just its helmet and equip it there, and then move over to the upgrade window and max it out once again. It's a hassle.

This is opposed to letting you equip it to every Warframe you want it on. Instead of only needing one set of Arcane Energize like you'd only need one mod, you need multiple sets if you want to simply switch Warframes without having to constantly change where Arcanes are equipped, or getting the freedom to simply change syandanas and helmets to what you feel like wearing.

In other words, this is the exact opposite of how most of the game is set up. You don't need a second Tigris for another Loadout that you want Tigris on. You don't have to unequip Point Blank from Hek just to equip it to Tigris (anymore, that was horrible). The innate issue with this is it limits your freedom to simply switch like the rest of the Arsenal provides.

I have three umbrella ideas, and each one addresses these core issues first and foremost. These are of course designed to still be unlike mods, and make them seem far more important and unique compared to mods. Also included, lore bits so they're not just something that exists.

But regardless of what is chosen, these things must happen: Arcane Helmets must be converted to Arcane Enhancements. If they're only usable with specific Warframes, that's fine, but they must not be helmets. Or just remove them if you really must. Arcanes CANNOT be cosmetic based. And you should NOT need more than one set of Arcanes just to equip them across multiple frames. Two sets of Energize to have Energize on your Warframe twice? Fine. Two sets just to have one Energize on only two Warframes? Unacceptable.

Arcane Transference ----------
"Arcane Enhancements were designed long ago to be fitted directly into Transference equipment. They augment the signal and create unique fluctuations between the Warframe and Operator. However, having more than two active has been shown to fry the Warframe. Despite this, a large capacity has been fitted into Transference Chairs primarily for storage and ease of swapping. Between missions, the Operator is then able to simply turn on, and off, which Enhancement he or she will use. To do it during a mission will simply be the end of their connection to the Warframe because of the massive change in the signal."

A new menu at the Operator for Arcanes (possibly even moves the camera to the side of the chair with a large row of possibly filled slots) allows you to see what Arcanes you do AND don't have (much like the Codex). After attaining an Arcane Enhancement, the Warframe slots it into the Transference Chair visually to make it seem more important (and possibly make it an option to slot it or not, and then make it impossible to remove?).

Then, after installing your first Arcane, the actual equipping could be;

• a new menu under Upgrade for your Warframe named Arcanes. Clicking it will show two slots, and a list of your usable arcanes. Only the symbol of the Arcanes will be in the menu, rather than the whole chip, since you're just applying the effect to the Warframe. The chosen effects will save for that specific Warframe, and can be changed whenever. Other Warframes can equip the exact same Arcanes without needing to acquire more Arcane Enhancements, since they're fitted to the chair, not the Warframe.
  • like the old aura relic system, two slots are now shown in Navigation. Clicking them will allow you to set what Arcanes you have active, allowing you to change them freely for missions. What arcanes you have selected are saved depending on your Warframe. As an example, you've selected Energize and Fury for Excalibur two days ago. You're currently playing Chroma, who instead has Guardian and Avenger. Simply switching to Excalibur now will show, in Navigation, that you have Energize and Fury active again.

Arcane Adapter ----------
As a note, this is similar to Arcane Transference but removes the use of the Operator.

"This Arcane technology is quite alien and new. It's clearly not of Orokin design, nor Corpus, Grineer... Sentient. We're not sure where they're from, but we do know that they are protected by the deadliest forces in the galaxy because they seem to be able to alter reality ever so slightly, like the Void itself. And more importantly, our research shows we can adapt this technology to our Warframes. However, we will need some new equipment..."

Researched from the Dojo and after construction, a new station is placed into your Orbiter. Arcane Enhancements are fitted into the Arcane Adapter (like the previous idea, and again, possibly make them unable to be removed) so the effect can be applied freely between Warframes, instead of needing multiple sets.

Arcane Effects must be equipped at the Arcane Adapter. Changing Arcanes will play a small cutscene of...

• the Warframe placing their hands or helmet onto a small platform on top of the Adapter, then the station does something with needles or lasers to show some kind of vague work being done. Possibly even gruesome like big needles like with Dead Space 2.
  • a large humanoid shaped slot for the Warframe to step into opening similar to their landing craft's, and after stepping in, it closes and simply has some lights seeping through cracks, again similar to Dead Space. Or, leave it open, and have the warframe convulsing, as if Arcanes are a drastic change.

The Arcane Adapter could also be put in the relay, instead of researched, to make it seem like you need larger scale equipment... And then, visually show larger scale equipment working on a Warframe to fit it with Arcane effects.

Custom Job ----------
The most basic idea possible:

"We were able to recover some old Orokin tech, Arcanes can be fitted to your Warframe! They do fancy S#&$. Apply the effects to your Warframe without expending the chip itself. That's about it."

After getting your first Arcane, in the Arsenal under Upgrade for your Warframe, an additional menu, Arcanes, appears. Opening it will reveal two slots in which you can equip Arcanes. This is still per Warframe, so you still only need one set of ten Arcanes for every Warframe, and will equip the effects rather than the chip itself.

While in the menu, the Warframe goes limp and...

• Operator comes around and starts working on the back of the Warframe as if he's doing the equipping of them manually.
  • the warframe itself starts checking its own body like its doing personal body work. Possibly grabs a tool from behind the Arsenal.

----------

If you have other good ideas that work within the three primary guidelines, feel free to suggest them here. Just remember, they need to stand out from mods in how they're equipped. It needs to appear more important.

Edited by Magnus

This is great!!! I was about to post something similar, but you've contructed a perfect post about it =P

Your Arcane Transference and Adaptor ideas are both just insanely cool! I like the Transference version a little better than the Adaptor one thou.

But yeah, separate menu for Arcanes that are tied to warframe A/B/C slots, not to specific cosmetics. If DE really wants to tie them to cosmetics, then it should be something extra: Let's say that an equipped Arcane would cause your warframe to have something attached to you visually. A small energy orb or something, similar to sigils or Health/Energy Conversions orbitals.

3 minutes ago, -Zr-Scroll said:

This is great!!! I was about to post something similar, but you've contructed a perfect post about it =P

Your Arcane Transference and Adaptor ideas are both just insanely cool! I like the Transference version a little better than the Adaptor one thou.

But yeah, separate menu for Arcanes that are tied to warframe A/B/C slots, not to specific cosmetics. If DE really wants to tie them to cosmetics, then it should be something extra: Let's say that an equipped Arcane would cause your warframe to have something attached to you visually. A small energy orb or something, similar to sigils or Health/Energy Conversions orbitals.

Steve finally giving me some kind of guideline of what type of suggestions to write just kicked me to really write this out. It's been a long standing issue but now we know what he wants. And we know what we want.

I really like the Transference idea too, so hopefully he'll like the idea of building it on the operator.

Big fan of this idea! Always hated the fact that you were forced in so many ways regarding arcanes. Steve also stated in last stream that arcane distillers will no longer be needed, so really, there is absolutely no reason not to have a 2-arcane-sets kind of system that is not tied to cosmetics. Also, I wonder if DE ever considered this but the introduction of new arcanes probably cost them money. Think about it - why buy that syandana that looks really good on Nova but S#&$ on everyone else, when you obviously only have one set of Arcane Energize or whatever? No. Your Arcane Energize stays on your old syandana and as a result you dont buy that new bling bling for Nova because you would be giving up Arcane Energize for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I have simple idea, in regards arcanes still staying tied to cosmetics (as DE stated) , in old arcane helmets ruining fashion frame (forums posts) & in general what people want (less grinding) !

ARCANE SYANDANAS FOR OPERATOR:

Operators getting new costumes, open / closed huds , it would seem we are not far from actually beeing allowed to equip syandanas on operators. Nothing really fancy, i imagine just extra button in allready large operator customization screen to equip either normal or syandanas with arcane. Now to the tricky part, that would leave us with 2 arcane syandanas equiped all the time (all already would be happy), but what about helmets?

Well how about we limit what arcanes actually can be applied to helmets & syandanas : Helmets only - common arcanes (Awakening, Guardian, Momentum, Strike, Tempo, Trickery, Ultimatum, Velocity) + All trash arcanes that gives resist to certain proc (Deflection, Ice etc.) . Note, u could no longer stack these arcanes, no more 2x Guardian etc. but u allready would have 2 arcanes on syandanas. Syandanas only - uncommon & rare arcanes excluding resist proc arcanes. These one could still be stacked. Simple visual small text on each arcane icon could display - Helmet only, Syandana only, or just Helmets, Syandanas.

But wait, so u saying now we actually can have 3 arcanes instead of 2? Yes ! U see there are these things in the game called old arcane helmets (Loki Essence, Excalibur Pendragon etc.) which can no longer be obtained except trading with peoples who allready have them. So by actually giving third arcane available to put on helmets, would lessen displeasure with peoples who do not own those helmets. For those who have these helmets new dilemma would arise, instead of old arcane helmet, maybe should i use a common arcanes those are still obtainable?. Admittedly common arcanes list are not that great and not benefit warframes with low armour values or inability to perform finishers, possibly list would need to be revisited or new arcanes added in future if any of these steps would be taken in upcomming Arcane 3.0 / Arcanes changes in order to put a healthy competition to old arcane helmets. Giving a choice is always better than taking it away !

Now about fashion frame and old arcane helmets issues. Peoples just want to have that effect available on all helmets that specific frame can equip or possibly to swap it around. I would suggest allow extract new rarity arcane from those helmets which could be called "Passive" rarity & u would be allowed to apply Excalibur Helmet only arcane to all helmets available for excalibur.

This system/suggestion may look confusing, not newer player friendly, but everyting still would operate in foundry arcanes section as it is, just as u select appearance item fixed list of arcanes (Syandanas only, Helmets only, Specific Frame Helmets only) would appear & from here its up to u what to use.

I am aware DE stated they still leaning towards arcanes beeing tied to cosmetics & that arcane distillers will no longer be a thing, but the reason i posting this suggestion is that i do not believe that any new system would not make it clunky to swap between arcanes (even without distillers) while they still tied to appearance items. Having 2 active arcane syandanas that are easy to equip, change arcanes, 1 beeing hidden only visible during focus power, working on all frames in exchange of having some extra micro management on helmets does not sound that bad. Plus powerfull / game changing arcanes would actually be available for all warframes, and no longer 3, 4 sets would be needed to achieve optimal results, on side note, u maybe need more common / less game changing arcane sets incase u do not want add/remove them every now and then to different helmets. But thats why those called common afterall.

I like the transferance idea and have suggested something similar in the past. Furthermore For each warframe, make it so there is a "arcane point system", 20 points to distribute. And allow people to equip either 2 max level arcanes, or more different arcanes but at lower quality. Each rank of arcane will take up 1 point. This will add a huge level of limited customization with arcanes imo. It may be unnecessary but we all like to fool around with numbers. Most can just dump 10 points into one arcane and 10 into another (where 10 is max to get the max arcane level effect). But some might mix and match a variety of abilities.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

ah arcanes... since i got my energize, i can't live without it, which means, "you wanna wear this specific syandana only on these specific frames? OH TOO BAD, you gotta wear THIS one on ALL of them."

the old arcanes system is ashamingly outdated.

operators are more important and prevalent now, yet focus is still not a good enough selling point.

arcanes tied to operators, DE please !!!

the simple focus system tied to them is fine, but there is room to expand, more systems accessed via operators. it would make complete sense, too, as arcanes are endgame, having the possibility of them after tww only is very reasonable. also, lore-friendly, as it seems we can now access our innate powers more and more- arcanes could fit in so nicely.

it frustrates me so much, not only because of the issue itself [forced to wear one specific syandana on everything], but also how easily and readily accessible a fix is, now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The problem with including the Operator is that I'm pretty sure you can get Arcanes without having completed The Second Dream - all you need is to run Raids, which could technically be immediately done as a new player as long as your team know what they're doing. Unless they lock off raids until you've done the quest (which wouldn't counter people already having Arcanes owned), or allow them to collect Arcanes but not equip them until after TSD, I'm not sure how the Operator that some players will not even have yet can be included.

I do like the idea of using the Operators, it's just something that would need to be worked around.

I may just have misunderstood what you meant, but I think that even if the Operator is used it should still be changed from the Arsenal menu. This way different loadout slots featuring different builds will also include differing Arcanes. Perhaps it still exists within the visuals tab of a Warframe, even though not connected to syandanas/helmets, allowing the 3 tabs to be used for different builds?

Edited by UnidentifiedBody