The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Warframes (Discussion Thread)

2 hours ago, Phatose said:

There

"Excalibur Umbra is the first of a very limited series of 'Umbra' gear that will be coming to the Global Build."

That implies not everything will get a Umbra variant. 

As far as I know, DE have only said every frame should eventually get a Prime, nothing about which frames will be getting "Umbra'd".

Just now, NovusNova said:

"Excalibur Umbra is the first of a very limited series of 'Umbra' gear that will be coming to the Global Build."

As far as I know, DE have only said every frame should eventually get a Prime, nothing about which frames will be getting "Umbra'd".

Well if they follow the Primes my boy Frost is next on the list. ^_^

1 hour ago, yual said:

Um, okay? It doesn't have to be everyone. Frost was the second Warframe to receive a Prime variation after Excalibur. Thus me saying Frost is next if they choose to follow the Prime order. Understand?

Edited by Tymerc

So, wild theory about the Umbra Excalibur. 

We all know that Hunhow has the worlds biggest grudge against the Tenno, and he has thrown the word "Shadow" around quite a bit. What if Excalibur Umbra is a Warframe that Hunhow made to attack the Tenno? That way, we can't kill him, AND it allows him to follow us into the void. 

Design wise, Excalibur would be used since it's the frame a lot of people chose when starting, and it would be kind of symbolic as you would have Excalibur fighting a stronger version of himself, (almostlikeawarwithin)

Just a wild stab in the dark. (Pun intended)

Edited by HellsSapper
I was dumb and left out a paragraph

18 hours ago, arch111 said:

"Hold up guys. We need some good lore for this first, we can't just release Umbra without a good back story".

There are people at DE who say this? Doubt it. If there were, the current lore wouldn't be a mess. Lore isn't a priority when you don't have a narrative director/designer. It's not a priority when you have programmers handling the lore.

55 minutes ago, AntoineFlemming said:

There are people at DE who say this? Doubt it. If there were, the current lore wouldn't be a mess. Lore isn't a priority when you don't have a narrative director/designer. It's not a priority when you have programmers handling the lore.

Here's me hoping anyway.

16 hours ago, yual said:

weve known this for .. quite some time though .... 

17 hours ago, NovusNova said:

^how ive always understood it 

And for my next trick, I am going to make a reasoned and logical statement which will righteously annoy everyone.

What if Excalibur Umbra is not a thing which you can ever actually 'have'? What if you cannot own Excalibur Umbra, or have it on a permanent basis?

Y'all seem to really love the idea that Excalibur Umbra is an independent 'frame with no Operator. You also really, really want to have Excalibur Umbra. Problem is, I don't see any easy way to combine these two things. Then, in my mind, I stopped trying to reconcile those two concepts, and instead asked myself: '"What if Excalibur Umbra is not a Warframe which it is possible to 'have' and casually select for use? What if it works completely differently?"

What if Excalibur Umbra is a truly independent 'frame, who shows up as an unexpected ally in some quest, right? Excalibur Umbra is a powerful Warframe, but has no true Tenno power, because there's no Operator involved. So, to defeat something of immense power, an alliance forms. The Tenno and Umbra work together in temporary Transference, using Umbra's inherent powerful stats, and some OP Focus powers and tactical training from the Tenno.

Forever afterward, you cannot ever own Umbra....but you can call in favours. I can see them implementing a system somewhere between Nitain Alerts and Fissure missions, where several times a day, you get Umbra Objectives. Join with Umbra and lend it your power to carry out a random mission which is Sortie-level hard, and in return gain a token, a favour Umbra owes you. Call in the token to be able to Transfer into and use Umbra for one mission of your own.

26 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

And for my next trick, I am going to make a reasoned and logical statement which will righteously annoy everyone.

What if Excalibur Umbra is not a thing which you can ever actually 'have'? What if you cannot own Excalibur Umbra, or have it on a permanent basis?

Y'all seem to really love the idea that Excalibur Umbra is an independent 'frame with no Operator. You also really, really want to have Excalibur Umbra. Problem is, I don't see any easy way to combine these two things. Then, in my mind, I stopped trying to reconcile those two concepts, and instead asked myself: '"What if Excalibur Umbra is not a Warframe which it is possible to 'have' and casually select for use? What if it works completely differently?"

What if Excalibur Umbra is a truly independent 'frame, who shows up as an unexpected ally in some quest, right? Excalibur Umbra is a powerful Warframe, but has no true Tenno power, because there's no Operator involved. So, to defeat something of immense power, an alliance forms. The Tenno and Umbra work together in temporary Transference, using Umbra's inherent powerful stats, and some OP Focus powers and tactical training from the Tenno.

Forever afterward, you cannot ever own Umbra....but you can call in favours. I can see them implementing a system somewhere between Nitain Alerts and Fissure missions, where several times a day, you get Umbra Objectives. Join with Umbra and lend it your power to carry out a random mission which is Sortie-level hard, and in return gain a token, a favour Umbra owes you. Call in the token to be able to Transfer into and use Umbra for one mission of your own.

given how long this thread has gone on for that would probably ruffle some feathers.

40 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

this is absolutely impossible. You may ask, why. I will answer. If things you told about come true, will china umbra prime owners start to hate DE? Of course, yes. If they do this, devs will destroy themselves. China umbra owners use them, as usual frame and use focus abilities very well, changing as I said, will cause very bad things.

Edited by ---UMBRA---

19 minutes ago, LorianTheElderPrince said:

given how long this thread has gone on for that would probably ruffle some feathers.

11 minutes ago, ---UMBRA--- said:

this is absolutely impossible. You may ask, why. I will answer. If things you told about come true, will china umbra prime owners start to hate DE? Of course, yes. If they do this, devs will destroy themselves. China umbra owners use them, as usual frame and use focus abilities very well, changing as I said, will cause very bad things.

Star-Wars-7-Rumor-Emperor-Returning.jpg

In Chinese Warframe/Star Armour, Excalibur Umbra Prime is just a Warframe. We know that the global build is doing something different. Something radically different.

Besides......

You want Umbra to be a renegade badass.
You want Umbra to be an obedient suit which you can wear to make yourself look cool.

You cannot have both.

11 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Star-Wars-7-Rumor-Emperor-Returning.jpg

Hide contents

In Chinese Warframe/Star Armour, Excalibur Umbra Prime is just a Warframe. We know that the global build is doing something different. Something radically different.

Besides......

You want Umbra to be a renegade badass.
You want Umbra to be an obedient suit which you can wear to make yourself look cool.

You cannot have both.

Well, apparently there's an Umbra "character." What if, we can use an Umbra warframe, but there's another independent Umbra that's a "renegade badass"?

See, we CAN have both.

2 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Ive been wondering about thif for a while and if it happens, the jimmys will be rustled.

So you get to grind for something that gives you access to a special grind that grants you a special piece of gear that allows you to do the thing you really want to do for a limited amount of time, and then you repead the process forever?

Yep. Sounds like every system Warframe has ever had.

11 minutes ago, (XB1)MK Ultra K11 said:

Depends on what you think of as amazing. Also those tears would be way to salty.

In all seriousness, I think doing it this way would be much more interesting and challenging than just saying "Umbra is an independent Warframe, whoops, not anymore, now you have a braindead zombie Umbra to pilot around. Have fun!"

2 hours ago, AntoineFlemming said:

Well, apparently there's an Umbra "character." What if, we can use an Umbra warframe, but there's another independent Umbra that's a "renegade badass"?

See, we CAN have both.

Nope. Still strikes me as weird. Ever since, about, oh, March? Maybe even February? People have been saying "I bet Umbra is this mysterious badass ultra-renegade Warframe from a secret order of super amazingly cool Warframes who need no Operator!" and responding to that by effectively saying "...so let's kill it, skin it, lobotomise it, and use its tortured corpse as a suit!" strikes me as......a bit dissonant, really.

I mean, which of these options do you actually want?

5 minutes ago, (XB1)ToothlessApollo said:

what if you have to catch all the rogue Umbra frames like Pokemon, fight them, subdue them, wield them.

I'm not interested in enslaving something which can be proved to be sapient, though. If Umbra is a threat to my Operator, then I'll kill it. If not, it can go its own way.

Edited by BornWithTeeth

Just now, BornWithTeeth said:

I'm not actually interested in enslaving something which can be proved to be sapient, though. If Umbra is a threat to my Operator, then I'll kill it. If not, it can go its own way.

I never felt like the infested tissue was sentient. I always went under the assumption that the infested were pretty much zombies, same for anything controlled by infestation.