The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Warframes (Discussion Thread)

I swear to god this team flunks at marketing so bad. If they really wanted to hype people up for things they'd be talking about Umbra and throwing us little bits and pieces without revealing too much. Keeping completely mum on the subject is just annoying everyone entirely and leading to conspiracy and speculation and that is not a good thing. You don't want your crowd suspicious of you. But no, they wanna do this whole stupid "it's a secret" thing. I hope they never do this kind of thing again. It is embarrassingly bad marketing.

Edited by (XB1)ToothlessApollo

4 minutes ago, (XB1)ToothlessApollo said:

I swear to god this team flunks at marketing so bad. If they really wanted to hype people up for things they'd be talking about Umbra and throwing us little bits and pieces without revealing too much. Keeping completely mum on the subject is just annoying everyone entirely and leading to conspiracy and speculation and that is not a good thing. You don't want your crowd suspicious of you. But no, they wanna do this whole stupid "it's a secret" thing. I hope they never do this kind of thing again. It is embarrassingly bad marketing.

The bolded part? That's the part that is an unhelpful assumption. Starting with the idea that DE want everyone super hyped for Umbra and are just really bad at managing hype is not necessarily accurate to what's really going on.

For most of that time, they were not actually trying to hype Umbra. At all. It's not that they were playing coy, or sitting around saying to themselves "If we just say and do nothing, Umbra will go viral!" They just weren't pushing Umbra, at all, because they were not planning on releasing him real soon.

17 minutes ago, (XB1)ToothlessApollo said:

They didn't hype Umbra at all, the playerbase did with their community pressure on the leaked info.

Edited by KJRenz

1 minute ago, BornWithTeeth said:

The bolded part? That's the part that is an unhelpful assumption. Starting with the idea that DE want everyone super hyped for Umbra and are just really bad at managing hype is not necessarily accurate to what's really going on.

For most of that time, they were not actually trying to hype Umbra. At all. It's not that they were playing coy, or sitting around saying to themselves "If we just say and do nothing, Umbra will go viral!" They just weren't pushing Umbra, at all, because they were not planning on releasing him real soon.

Or maybe they were hoping everyone would forget, and they wouldn't have keep answering questions on the frame that got """leaked""" because of the China build. This is still shameful and shady. I don't like that everyone knows something's there, and they're not saying anything about it. They gotta have something amazing with this """"secret"""" or it will all be completely in vain in my opinion. I wish they woulda just released him. This is completely and absolutely ludicrous as well as unorthadox. I've been sitting here bored out of my mind with this game for going on a month and a half now just waiting for SOMETHING new to show up. I play other games to pass the time, but really, I'm not the only guy feeling this. XBOX at least has been kind of a wasteland for well over a month. I'm not alone in feeling like this game is going through a rapid decline. I've been feeling this ever since they decided to start doing this cinematic quest nonsense. It might work for PC because you're shoving content out on a regular basis, but being unable to update regularly on console and having to go through a certification process has made their development strategy an absolute snoozefest on console. It's like DE's constipated because they keep holding all this content back so they can take this massive content dump on us when they really should be just releasing it regularly. I honestly don't care for these stupid cinematic quests because it means we all gotta wait extra time for a mission that still takes just as long to complete and doesn't really add anything super significant to the gameplay. (I honestly felt this with the second dream) Yeah I got my own tenno, whoop dee doo.I didn't feel like it was worth the wait. The quest was a little more interesting I guess as not all the missions were standard mission types with story tacked on. I never felt like it was necessary. I don't feel like the game is evolving in massive ways. If the War Within doesn't completely turn the game on it's head at this point, it will all be in vain. I'm starting to feel like it's really the last chance DE has of saving this from Oblivion.

8 minutes ago, KJRenz said:

They didn't hype Umbra at all, the playerbase did with their community pressure on the leaked info.

I agree, they didn't hype the community for Umbra, they most likely didn't even want us (the community) to know about Umbra and its existence. The hype started when the faq about chinese exclusivity explained what's Umbra and said that we were getting it asap, but "asap" has currently taken a whole year. 

Imo, all of the hype, speculation and whatever could have been avoided if DE had said from the start something like "china has a weird marketing system, so in order to keep them playing warframe they must have some exclusivity, thus Umbra won't be released on global build" and then proceed in the same way as they do with every single topic asking for founders pack to come back. But well, after a whole year of hearing "it's coming soon" it seems too late to turn back.

4 minutes ago, -----LegioN----- said:

I agree, they didn't hype the community for Umbra, they most likely didn't even want us (the community) to know about Umbra and its existence. The hype started when the faq about chinese exclusivity explained what's Umbra and said that we were getting it asap, but "asap" has currently taken a whole year. 

Imo, all of the hype, speculation and whatever could have been avoided if DE had said from the start something like "china has a weird marketing system, so in order to keep them playing warframe they must have some exclusivity, thus Umbra won't be released on global build" and then proceed in the same way as they do with every single topic asking for founders pack to come back. But well, after a whole year of hearing "it's coming soon" it seems too late to turn back.

I know, it's pretty embarrassing isn't it. They all flunk marketing with an F---

3 hours ago, (XB1)ToothlessApollo said:

Or maybe they were hoping everyone would forget, and they wouldn't have keep answering questions on the frame that got """leaked""" because of the China build. This is still shameful and shady. I don't like that everyone knows something's there, and they're not saying anything about it. They gotta have something amazing with this """"secret"""" or it will all be completely in vain in my opinion. I wish they woulda just released him. This is completely and absolutely ludicrous as well as unorthadox. I've been sitting here bored out of my mind with this game for going on a month and a half now just waiting for SOMETHING new to show up. I play other games to pass the time, but really, I'm not the only guy feeling this. XBOX at least has been kind of a wasteland for well over a month. I'm not alone in feeling like this game is going through a rapid decline. I've been feeling this ever since they decided to start doing this cinematic quest nonsense. It might work for PC because you're shoving content out on a regular basis, but being unable to update regularly on console and having to go through a certification process has made their development strategy an absolute snoozefest on console. It's like DE's constipated because they keep holding all this content back so they can take this massive content dump on us when they really should be just releasing it regularly. I honestly don't care for these stupid cinematic quests because it means we all gotta wait extra time for a mission that still takes just as long to complete and doesn't really add anything super significant to the gameplay. (I honestly felt this with the second dream) Yeah I got my own tenno, whoop dee doo.I didn't feel like it was worth the wait. The quest was a little more interesting I guess as not all the missions were standard mission types with story tacked on. I never felt like it was necessary. I don't feel like the game is evolving in massive ways. If the War Within doesn't completely turn the game on it's head at this point, it will all be in vain. I'm starting to feel like it's really the last chance DE has of saving this from Oblivion.

Yeah. Ok.

ToothlessApollo, the thing with your post here? Your post is not about Umbra. Your post is about a deep dissatisfaction with the game itself and how/where it's going. I look at everything you have said there and I ask myself "Would this guy actually be happy if DE had just said 'Screw it' and given him the Umbra skin he says he wants?" The answer is "Probably not." If DE had given you Umbra as a meaningless skin, it would have just been a meaningless skin, and you still would not be happy with the game and where it's going. Umbra is just the thing which you want, right now. If they gave it to you, you'd want something else.

Meanwhile! Second Dream, leading into War Within, is DE coming right out and saying that they've spent two years laying groundwork, and now they're here to tell some story. And that's awesome. Awesome....but not perfect. Your complaints about the time it takes for updates to hit consoles are really legitimate. In addition to the consoles update issue, DE need to work on their project scheduling and progress, absolutely. Otherwise, even on PC it's going to drag and bog down.

However, looking at this mess and saying that their issue is that they are incorrectly hyping Umbra.....dude. No. They didn't want Umbra to be mega hype in the first place. You are hype for Umbra, and as I've said several times in this thread, that's not actually on DE. That's just you and your response.

well u19 released date kept getting pushed ..but with all the work done on coming updates im sure they will be worth the wait , with new enemies,weapons, frames ect ... 

the hype is player generated. and as i see it,  players raging keeps putting this topic in bad light , dev bashing and what not...occur by the impatient  or  those who believe themselves entitled for some misguided reasoning. its toxic plain and simple . bragging about paying dosnt add credibility to toxic actions , if anything it puts the spoiled brat image in my head , but that may just be me. im pretty sure plenty of players have put way more then a few hundred into the game and act reasonable and responsible, but there is always a the few exceptions i guess

realistically if i was to step in the creators shoes and see this from their view...id go from liking the concept initially .... to slowly repulsed b the very mention ...as it feels more forced then creative expansion of the game.....

what will come as a result when umbras are finally here is yet TBD but i hope its a catalyst for more things to come 

4 hours ago, (PS4)ifeanoiba said:

watch the tennocon video on youtube and go to 46:00 and u will see what im talking about

I am afraid you hear what you want to hear.

They were very elusive as usual,  and said that we will see something about Umbra in "the next cycles of months". That can seriously mean anything. 

Rebecka asked "So it will be out this year?" It was unanswered.

It likely will, but there is no need to rush. If they have a Lore-expanding idea on how to use Umbra, then we will all be happy they took their time! 

"We have plans for Umbra, as in the Character. " Scott said.

This all points us into either to a  Quest or a series of Tactical Alerts introducing Umbra, but as a NPC not as a obtainable warframe.

Would be cool to actually work for the Umbra BP.

Allso let's not get too hung up on Updates here . plenty have been released between major updates that were still very enjoyable and important.  

Ties that bind and Maroo are good examples of that I think.

And as Steve reminded all of us,  we still have the surprise of what a warframe actually is to get to first,  and that in turn will determine how to treat Umbra and the Stalker.

16 minutes ago, arch111 said:

I am afraid you hear what you want to hear.

They were very elusive as usual,  and said that we will see something about Umbra in "the next cycles of months". That can seriously mean anything. 

Rebecka asked "So it will be out this year?" It was unanswered.

It likely will, but there is no need to rush. If they have a Lore-expanding idea on how to use Umbra, then we will all be happy they took their time! 

"We have plans for Umbra, as in the Character. " Scott said.

This all points us into either to a  Quest or a series of Tactical Alerts introducing Umbra, but as a NPC not as a obtainable warframe.

Would be cool to actually work for the Umbra BP.

Allso let's not get too hung up on Updates here . plenty have been released between major updates that were still very enjoyable and important.  

Ties that bind and Maroo are good examples of that I think.

And as Steve reminded all of us,  we still have the surprise of what a warframe actually is to get to first,  and that in turn will determine how to treat Umbra and the Stalker.

ok what ever but to be honest whether its this year or next year or infact 2years from now i dont care i just hope they dont mess it up

On 9 December 2015 at 4:49 AM, (PS4)Redemption_015 said:

Nikana Prime and Kunai Prime are being released for us along with Umbra. Thats been confirmed by DE and ChangYou. Making any of these items exclusive to China would spell doom for DE.

We already have nikana prime. Maybe dragon nikana prime?

2 hours ago, (PS4)Squarehead08 said:

We already have nikana prime. Maybe dragon nikana prime?

Moreover, we already got Kunai Prime... Just for some reasons it is now caled Spira Prime..

also... No, no Dragon nikan Prime, Dragon if I remember correctly is the prefix for the nikan, because it was Upgrades from the base nikana Prime copy.