Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Warframes (Discussion Thread)

Ppl need to get over it being "emo" and think of it as the tenno finally saying enough. It not about victory anymore, it's time to kill till there's nobody left to stop the tenno. And primes are so disgustingly underwhelming, Easy and practically pointless. it's time for something better, a new meta >:D

I've seen a lot of people on these forums with a lot of different ideas and misconceptions surrounding Excalibur Umbra, so I thought I'd make a thread to clear some things up and present what we know (and some of what is rumoured) about Excalibur Umbra.

What is Excalibur Umbra?

Spoiler

Excalibur Umbra is an upcoming Excalibur variant based on "Shadow Sanctuary Sword Prime", otherwise known as Umbra Excalibur Prime, a founder's pack exclusive in Star Armor: WARFRAME, the Chinese version of Warframe. It is not a skin for Excalibur, but an entirely separate Warframe with (presumably) its own stats and polarities, similar to how Prime variants have their own stats and polarities. DE has stated that Umbras will have something to set them apart from Primes, but what that could be is anyone's guess.

Are the Chinese Founder's Excalibur Umbra Prime and International build's Excalibur Umbra the same?

Spoiler

That is currently unknown. The general consensus is that they are not, and it has been officially confirmed that they are at least slightly different from a visual standpoint.

Didn't DE say that Excalibur Prime would never return? 

Spoiler

And it is not returning. Umbra Excalibur Prime has different stats from our Excalibur Prime, and is limited to the Chinese version of Warframe which for all intents and purposes is an entirely different game.

What will Umbra Excalibur's stats be?

Spoiler

Unknown. We do however know the stats for Umbra Excalibur Prime. Comparison of stats (unranked):

Umbra Excalibur Prime: max power 150, stamina 100, health 100, shield 100, armor 250 and sprint speed 1.0 (Note: these stats are pre-U17 for the chinese build. They're outdated, I've been having trouble finding a source for the post-U17 stats).

Excalibur Prime: max power 100, health 100, shield 100, armor 250, sprint speed 1.0

Excalibur: max power 100, health 100, shield 100, armor 225, sprint speed 1.0

Woah, hold up, Umbra Excalibur Prime is better than Excalibur Prime? But muh founder shekels!

Spoiler

Again, we do not know if the global Umbra Excalibur and China's Umbra Excalibur Prime will have the same stats, so those with Excalibur Prime can breathe easy for now. It's also worth noting that the Chinese version of the game is balanced differently. Also, who knows what could happen? Excalibur Prime could get a buff! Wait and see.

Is Umbra Excalibur in the game files already?

Spoiler

I can't comment on this since datamining is a breach of Warframe's EULA. I don't recommend or condone datamining either because lawsuits are not fun to deal with and you're breaking an agreement that you willfully made with DE. Remember that the game is still in beta and you are participating in its development as a proof of concept before full release. Please be respectful and law-abiding, Tenno. However, given Umbra Excalibur's supposed aesthetic similarity to Umbra Excalibur Prime, and that Umbra Excalibur Prime is already available in the Chinese version, which runs on the same game engine, it's safe to assume that Umbra Excalibur would be very easy for DE to roll out if it's not in the global build's files already. Just be patient, it will be revealed when the time is right.

When and how will Excalibur Umbra be available?

Spoiler

Currently unknown. All but confirmed for 2016 however. The "Umbra" classification implies a connection to the Orokin Moon, which will be replacing the Void Towers in a later update. DE has said they are waiting to release Excalibur Umbra until they find the right time and method to do so. Umbra Excalibur will supposedly be available to the entire player base via regular gameplay (as is the standard for basically every Warframe). As for dropping real-world cash on it, it's currently unknown. It might be available in the Market, or as a Darvo Deal, or from Baro Ki'Teer, or in a Prime Access-esque premium distribution.

Edit: Thanks to LegioN in the comments for this:

Spoiler

5de56be721e669e9eafce668d283ed57.png

And that about wraps things up. Keep in mind that these are just the most common questions and misconceptions about Umbra Excalibur that I see on these forums. Leave any other questions you might have in the comments and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.
Edited by 134ShinyVaporeon
outdated stats

I honestly don't even think DE knows the full story of the Umbra. They've stated they want to make sure when they release him he has a purpose and since he isn't out yet I'm guessing they haven't fully defined it.

I'm hoping that Umbras have boosts to ability stats rather than warframe stats just so that they're on par with Primed frames and are not a complete upgrade... 

I have a feeling they will have some slight tweaks to their abilities with stats that would be similar to a Prime tier frame (maybe not the same though, like some higher than prime, some lower) Steve has said they are "twisted" or "darker" versions of Tenno. which leads me to believe that feeling.

can i link this into the main thread post? 

this answers lots of the BASIC umbra questions we see all the time quickly and effectively 

well done O: 

I made an FAQ thread for Umbra Excalibur after doing some research. Feel free to check it out:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/576377-a-few-things-regarding-excalibur-umbra/#entry6526381

I was thinking the other day, what if Umbra was an upgrade to a frame...  that takes a standard frame/prime frame, that receives Umbra Vestments?  To me at least, when I look at Excalibro Umbra, all I see is the Umbra scarf/vestments... otherwise its just a different version of Excalibur.  Personally I think that would be kind of a cool mechanic, like you take a top tier frame, maxed out, perhaps it has to be a prime even, and then you do a mission/quest/thing in order to get the Umbra garb.  Basically the scarf, maybe it has certain advantages, stat boosts, or enables you to fight sentient's on their turf.

A good example of a system like this was back in the day in OG Guild Wars, you would get to a certain point in the story, then have to complete a quest to receive a set of Ascended armor that would allow you to fight and survive against some dudes, something like that anyway, I don't quiet remember.  Think of Umbra, as ascending a frame to the next tier perhaps!  I dunno, just a thought =D

I'm very curious too. It'll probably be Warframes augmented with Sentient tech and other things if i had to guess.

Could be, could be. Having seen the Second Dream, I'm not doubting DE's ability to introduce good lore/plot stuff anymore.

I can't stop but to wonder if the dark side of the moon wouldn't have some connection to the umbra warframes...

Good gods I hope not.  There's enough ridiculous abuse of astronomy in this game as is.  The dark side of the moon is like the dark side of the earth - it only stays dark for a little while, then it's dawn.