Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we please have a warning sign for sniper only sorties?

gluih

1 hour ago, gluih said:

Having explosive weapons like the tonkor in the sniper category would be really nice. They use sniper ammo anyway and they don't fit better into assault rifles.

Another option would be to have snipers in the same category as bows, because they really do the same thing anyway.

Seriously? do you know what is the definition of a sniper rifle? if not, this may help you.

A sniper rifle is a man-portable, high precision, shoulder-fired rifle, for military or law enforcement use, designed to ensure more accurate shooting at longer ranges than other small arms. A typical sniper rifle is built for high levels of accuracy, fitted with a telescopic sight and chambered for a military centerfire cartridge.

Where does the tonkor fit in all this?

2 minutes ago, at35z said:

No player is his/her weapon. That would be weird. :crylaugh: 

Well I guess some people don't have/use shotguns either, yet there is a shotgun only mode. And having one laying around just for the sorties is really not that expensive, IMO.

Shotguns are a lot better than snipers most of the time. You don't have to aim as carefully with them. You will see enemies in a good range for a shotgun more often than you will see enemies far enough away where a sniper is actually better than other weapons.

There is also a bigger variety of shotguns. You can get to 100% status chance with some of them, which makes them very strong, even if their damage isn't as high. You have the boar and the kohm, which are automatic. There is the acid shells mod for the sobek- it would be great to have a mod like this for a sniper rifle.

When I run shotgun only sorties, I usually see mostly the sancti tigris and the vaykor hek. They are usually maxed out. It's not really about me or you having the resources to have a sniper lying around. I think the vectis prime is a lot of fun to use, so I have it lying around.
The problem is that snipers just aren't as good in the current situation. So a lot of players don't have a sniper and don't really feel like getting one. So then they don't have it for the sorties.

1 hour ago, Airwolfen said:

Or everyone who has even the slightest interest in sorties make it so they have a damn sniper rifle around.

And it this case, sniper ammo does NOT mean something is a sniper and should be considered as one. Especially not the launchers.

When i started playing Sorties my friend told me to get a bow, shotgun, and sniper if i was going to be playing them daily.... I thought he was crazy. First sniper only sortie---i was out a rifle, we had to wait 12 hours for my Sniper to build... Draco the damn thing so it was worth something... and then in the last hours of Sorties...we ran it. Needless to say i took his advice and invested in a good bow and Shotgun after that! 

16 minutes ago, (XB1)Oussii said:

Seriously? do you know what is the definition of a sniper rifle? if not, this may help you.

A sniper rifle is a man-portable, high precision, shoulder-fired rifle, for military or law enforcement use, designed to ensure more accurate shooting at longer ranges than other small arms. A typical sniper rifle is built for high levels of accuracy, fitted with a telescopic sight and chambered for a military centerfire cartridge.

Where does the tonkor fit in all this?

Well clearly this doesn't really apply to the situation, because pistol only doesn't actually require you to use a pistol and assault rifle doesn't require that either. I mean does the tonkor fit better into assault rifles than into snipers?

30 minutes ago, TheGoodDarius said:

Get a lanka and mod it with gas damage and status chance increased. It will be like using a Tonkor, but it's a sniper, the most powerful in fact 

This is relevant to exactly 1 weapon. It doesn't change anything about that fact that sniping doesn't do all that much in the game overall.
And most importantly it doesn't make enough players pick it up, because there are still enough who have to go into the sortie with an unranked vulkar.

3 minutes ago, gluih said:

Well clearly this doesn't really apply to the situation, because pistol only doesn't actually require you to use a pistol and assault rifle doesn't require that either. I mean does the tonkor fit better into assault rifles than into snipers?

I can tolerate that a Tonkor be fitted in the assult rifle, but it is a crime to even think to fit it in the sniper category

1 minute ago, Acos said:

I can understand lumping Sniper and Bows together for the purposes of broadening the category, but there is no way that a Tonkor is even kind of thematically close to a sniper rifle. 

Well the idea would be more to make it a different category. Basically "not shotgun and not assault rifle", so you have to change your playstyle a bit.

1 minute ago, gluih said:

Well the idea would be more to make it a different category. Basically "not shotgun and not assault rifle", so you have to change your playstyle a bit.

Heh, could be fun. At the same time, any sortie that doesn't say "stop using your damn tonkor on everything" is pretty much a Tonkor sortie by default. 

1 minute ago, (XB1)Oussii said:

I can tolerate that a Tonkor be fitted in the assult rifle, but it is a crime to even think to fit it in the sniper category

Sounds arbitrary to me. At least the tonkor shoots a single projectile, similar to a sniper rifle.

Just now, gluih said:

Sounds arbitrary to me. At least the tonkor shoots a single projectile, similar to a sniper rifle.

...and then bounces on the floor like a sniper round before exploding and killing multiple enemies like a sniper round? Sniper Rifles are precision weapons. Bows fit that thematic as well. Tonkor definitely does not. Lumping them together just because it's not similar to an assault rifle doesn't suddenly make it more similar to a Sniper Rifle. It should probably just have its' own category if the devs are going to do -anything- with it. 

People who play sorties should just own and maintain a sniper rifle.  You already maintain a rifle, pistol, bow, shotgun, and melee for weapon-specific sortie missions, so why should a sniper rifle be any different? Obviously it's not every player's first choice... that's the point. The sortie condition of restricting your weapons is meant to force you into situations and styles that maybe you aren't as comfortable with, to force you to adapt, to challenge you. If you can't handle the challenge then maybe you should just skip doing the sortie for the days that have conditions you don't like. :)

Edited by Momaw

2 hours ago, gluih said:

But seriously, I think the weapon categories should be changed. It's not a big surprise, that a lot of players don't have any sniper. In general bows do the same thing, but they do it better.
The best bows get into red crits easily, so their damage is very high and it is more consistent. Without less than 100%, sometimes you get the non-crit and multishot also doesn't trigger, so the enemy doesn't die.

Perhaps it is a good time actually buff Snipers then, instead of giving them a half baked rework and then pretending they don't exist. Snipers need the 100% crit certainty to become somewhat viable. Also multishot not triggering in 10% of the cases is universal, not just for snipers.

2 hours ago, gluih said:

Bows and snipers require the game to be slowed down by quite a bit. You can't kill as many enemies as quickly as with other weapons or warframe abilities. You also have to aim more carefully, so overall those weapons fit better into stealth missions, and then bows have another big advantage, because they are silent.
Bows also have the advantage of having 2 crossbows in their category. Those have a big advantage against nullifiers, because their fire rate can actually be really high. They are also better for dealing with a lot of enemies in general.

Again, Snipers need a buff. Though I disagree that things need to be slowed down, perhaps it's just the lack of Punchthrough. I mean the Lanka has it. The Snipetron Vandal has it, as the only sniper except for the Lanka. But guess what, they nerfed the SnipetronV before Sortie release. *slowclap*

Having explosive weapons like the tonkor in the sniper category would be really nice. They use sniper ammo anyway and they don't fit better into assault rifles.
Another option would be to have snipers in the same category as bows, because they really do the same thing anyway.

No

I... didn't do the sortie because I don't have a sniper rifle maxed out on mod slots & forma. :|

But I think you're looking at this backwards, OP. People don't use sniper rifles because they don't suit the gameplay situation except for a very few tilesets, so of course they don't have them ranked up and ready to go. If DE was to implement any kind of fix, it hopefully could be to make them relevant.

2 minutes ago, starsrift said:

I... didn't do the sortie because I don't have a sniper rifle maxed out on mod slots & forma. :|

But I think you're looking at this backwards, OP. People don't use sniper rifles because they don't suit the gameplay situation except for a very few tilesets, so of course they don't have them ranked up and ready to go. If DE was to implement any kind of fix, it hopefully could be to make them relevant.

That's actually exactly my point.

1 minute ago, starsrift said:

We were in a squad of friends where non of us had a fully maxed sniper, and we killed that infested boss in a second without using any weapon

Slova, Ash, frost and Loki

We were in a squad of friends where non of us had a fully maxed sniper, and we killed that infested boss in a second without using any weapon

Slova, Ash, frost and Loki

Congrats, shows how much sense this sortie condition makes.

4 minutes ago, gluih said:

That's actually exactly my point.

Ah, yeah, that's what I got for reading and responding to the OP instead of what you're saying a page in. ;)

I think the other folks are right, Tonkor in no way fits the sniper category, though you could lump snipers and bows together.

On the other hand, it would be hella fun to have a 'specials' category, where you have thinks like the Ignis, Amprex, Tonkor, and Torid, etc - all the 'rifles' that aren't rifles, for Sorties. 

1 minute ago, gluih said:

Congrats, shows how much sense this sortie condition makes.

Who said that you have to rely only on your weapons in the sortie or others?

I will give u the same advice i give my friends: You don't need to be strong to win, you have to be smart

Who said that you have to rely only on your weapons in the sortie or others?

I will give u the same advice i give my friends: You don't need to be strong to win, you have to be smart

Thank you, that helps a lot.