The+Second+Stream+Podcast:+Episode+1

[DE]Drew

The Second Stream Topics  

1,425 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Titania's Shrink ability should use the new Archwing controls (6-degrees of freedom) or should it use the Sharkwing (classic) controls?

• It should use the new controls with 6 degrees of freedom!
    • It should use Sharkwing (classic) controls!
    • I don't feel strongly either way.
    • No opinion on this topic.
  2. 2. How complex should the buffs be from Titania's Soul Swipe ability?

• Very complex - give me all the buffs!
    • Moderately complex - diverse, but not too complicated to remember.
    • Not complex - the buffs should be straightforward and practical.
    • I'm not sure - need more information.
  3. 3. With the upcoming Shadows of the Dead changes, do you think quality of Shadows is better than quantity?

• Yes, give me fewer but better Shadows.
    • No, I want an army of Shadows.
    • Other (post an explanation below)
  4. 4. Do you agree with the choice to add some less common melee weapons as Syndicate Weapons?

• Yes, give some love to less common weapons.
    • No, the popular melee weapons would have been a better choice.
    • Other (post an explanation below).
  5. 5. What is your opinion on breaking up big updates into several smaller updates?

• Break them up completely for more consistent updates over a long period.
    • Break them up a bit so we get chunks of new content intermittently.
    • Don't break them up so we get big update patches with breaks inbetween.
    • Other (post an explanation below).
  6. 6. Fun topic: choose all the video game labels that DON'T apply to Warframe!

• Dating Simulator
    • Survival Horror
    • Visual Novel
    • Roguelike
    • RTS
    • Casual

This poll is closed to new votes

9MdBF2s.jpg

Tenno, 

After reviewing feedback from the pilot episode that we released the other week, we're back with the first official episode of The Second Stream! We have a fancy new image, improved audio (a lot less "beeps" and background noises), and now you can subscribe to The Second Stream on Google Music (iTunes coming soon)! This is still a new endeavor, so we'll continue to polish the format as we release new episodes. The poll questions are all topics from our discussion. Hope you enjoy!

Google Music:
https://play.google.com/music/m/Dbzo22wa326unfmwnfpej5jm3sm?t=The_Second_Stream_Episode_1-The_Second_Stream

Special thanks to all of our guests on this episode!

About the "less popular melee weapons" thing, I was really hoping to see some actually less popular melee weapons, like sparring weapons, or sword and shield. (Maybe they arent "less popular" but theres certainly fewer of them.) We have had 2 sparring weapons for a really long time now, and sword and shields could really use some loving, among other weapon types.

I can say that the Lekta is probably by far the least popular melee weapon you guys chose, as far as weapon categories go. (based purely on my own experience, im sure you guys have actual numbers) But 2 hammers, and a polearm? I think I can confidently say that those are both among the most popular weapon types in game by far, especially hammers considering we just got Fragor Prime. I just think better choices couldve been made. 

Edited by armedpoop

oh boy please allow me,

since I chose other for the melee syn weapons let me explain why.

I do feel that a lot of less used older melee weapons need some love but I feel strongly that the wrong way of doing it. The problem with a lot of these weapons is they come from under used out dated weapon families that have not received much of any love (the exception is the hammers) Sydon is a pole arm and both pole arm stances that have been released since U13 are incomplete compared to other stances that have multiple combos simply making a stronger version of sydon wont make more people appreciate it as there are more complex mechanics in melee combat than just numbers and stats, if the melee weapon is not fun to use and diverse in its attacks no one wants to use it. The red veil dark dagger overlaps wit hthe existing dark dagger and the red veil augment? Why, seriously why, there were other weapons out there that could of used the attention. Lecta same case as Sydon, whips have not received any form of stance love or touches since u13. Aside form the fact that stat improved versions of these weapons wont make them better or make people enjoy them, it was rather disapointing when there were so many better choices, weaposn that had some parts of what makes other melee weapons great but not the stats to back it up, something like silva aegis would of been great for red veil, or the plamsa sword for perrin.

4. Do you agree with the choice to add some less common melee weapons as Syndicate Weapons?
Other:

I don't mind seeing underwhelming melee weapons getting a better more powerful relative but there are somethings to consider.

Dark dagger should be changed to something else. Having that would make the augment mod useless right? you can't even equip it, same with Vaykor Hek and Scattered Justice.

I would like to bring up synoid and simaris weaponry and how suda would get better a version of the original not even in a month gap of time but the damage has already been done.

Edited by Wevi

3. Haven't seen enough about the SotD change to know how i feel about it. 

4. I think the less used melees are alright. But maybe the community could've voted on one from a few less used melees for each syndicate.

(responding to the poll questions, can't listen to the podcast - is there a transcript?):

I don't care about Titania; I don't care about Nekros; I like syndicate weapons, but I'm not fussed about which specific weapons are chosen; but what I do care very strongly about here is update frequency - I want frequent and meaningful updates.

Waiting months for new content and fixes for gameplay modes (ie, void sab lost key fix) just because "oh, it's part of a big update" is awful. Obviously, some things need to come as a package deal - no question. But if something can be broken down and released sooner, it absolutely should be. Don't make the whole wagon train wait for one wagon.

One of my biggest gripes with Warframe is how many weeks (if not months) we go with 'dead weekends', and then have lots of stuff piled up at once. There should be something happening every single week in this game - either new toys, or a reworked game mode, or Baro, or a Tac Alert, or an Operation, or a Fomorian, or Acolytes - I'm totally cool with reruns, but I'm NOT cool with "oh, nothing's going on". And this year, there's been a whole lot of "nothing's going on". This problem is compounded by the constipated release schedule that's developed over the past year.

Sure, we get new bits and pieces and QoL changes in the weekly hotfixes - this is a fairly unique thing that DE does, and I'm grateful for it. It just seems to suffer when someone decides there should be a Big Blockbuster Update. Do I want the creative people behind this game taking the time to make the neat stuff they envision? Yes! What I don't like is holding the functional pieces back because the New Shiny Thing has soaked up all the available attention.

I'd like my addictive content on a steady drip, please.

Edited by pauli133
QoL chances? That's a whole new level of RNG.

Question n°5: warframe can't be labelled in any of the known "categories" that we know, warframe contains a bit of everything, the great mixture of the best quality ingredients from all the category mixed perfectly in one. 

Thats better than a long island ice tea!

In regards to update splits, I'm okay with splitting, but PLEASE bring back the update numbers. U19: The War Within sounds fine, and makes it easier to gauge how old various aspects of the game are.

Voted 'other' for Syndicate Melees: I think a somewhat more middle-ground should have been chosen: Not top-tier popular, but not 'everyone hates it' unpopular either.

Also, I voted for every label, because fun.

Edit: Idea for the 6DoF question: Why not both? Add an item in the options menu to specify sharkwing/titania flight model.

Edited by DeltaPhantom

Some specific feedback per-question, in case any of it is useful:

1. I think the "classic" movement model is a better choice, mostly for two reasons. 1It's similar enough to "on foot" movement that players won't get too disoriented when switching repeatedly between the two. 2It easily maintains a familiar orientation, which is (I think) essential for players who aren't yet intimately familiar with tileset layouts and the geometry of individual tiles.

2. I'm a fan of "moderately complex," but with one caveat: a larger number of possible buffs might be a nightmare to balance and bugtest. I love the idea of variety and interesting interactions, but it may be easier to start with a few and add complexity later in a stepwise plan.

3. I'm entirely happy with a "quality over quantity" approach, provided that this doesn't do too much damage to some augments and playstyles. Performance improvements and QOL improvements (particularly for players who aren't fond of playing with a Nekros and having the map flooded with Shadows)? Yes please. Some players have voiced concerns about how changes might impact the effectiveness of their preferences. I'm pretty sure that this won't be an issue, but I think it's worth keeping on the radar.

4. I would say that I'm mostly happy with the latest round of Syndicate weapon picks. I think some folks might be justified in being a little miffed that Heliocor received a Synoid variant so quickly, and there are the usual concerns with some Syndicates possibly receiving "better quality" offerings, but overall I can't say that I have any complaints for my own sake.

5. The more I think about it, the more I feel like I would prefer smaller updates to larger ones. In the end, only DE can know what proves to be better for the overall health of the game. For those of us who are playing regularly, without any long breaks from the game, I think that smaller and more constant updates "feels" better. It might also help to relieve the pressure of trying to bundle big pieces of dense Quest content with too many other changes/improvements. I suppose that I'm falling a little into "recency" bias here, but it does appear that "chunkier" updates have really caused some struggle.

Edited by notlamprey
words!

Answers to others and additional comments:

1. Due to no vacuum of space, and a center of gravity, it would both make sense and be easier to control using sharkwing controls for titania than the new 6 axis.

4. There should be no syndicate weapon that conflicts with a syndicate mod, unless both syndicate weapon AND mod can be used together. Also, it would make sense that red veil has a karyst instead of the dark dagger

5. Bringing back past events, and some of their rewards, would help alleviate the need for constant updates. Like the glowing orb badge from a long past event, as well as mods like primed chamber, aviator and much more. Rehashing past events that was hosted to only 1-3 million players to the now growing 10 million strong players, I think this would be most helpful to the devs and player base.

Updates I voted other because being on console it is a nightmare waiting for content. I get the fact it needs to be fixed and corrected on PC before it goes to  console build but consoles don't have the luxury of getting fast hotfixes to correct stuff. So I would rather have more console updates regardless of how you break up PC updates. To be honest this last major update consoles should of had at least 2-4 minor updates versus the 1 big one. This way when you decide to release a new weapon or cosmetic right after you send a build to cert we are not waiting months to get it. Trust me this happens all the time to consoles. It is what it is but still the builds for us players should be faster than what it is now.

i couldnt care less about a voting which is basicly guided by DE

there is no free voting possible, means, the free voting cant win ... freedom of choice is different

i call it a collective drama, glad im not able to participate in things like that ...

1. I want my sancti tipedo, it's fine that lesser used weapons get this to kick them up a notch, but I think should apply to primes as well, for example galatine tigris, there already good, bring up other weapons to speed! 

2. Moderatly Complex soul swipe would be neat

3. I want a 10 man army of shadows! As long as there is a few more shadows than what was presented to us last week, i'm good

Edited by Wolfnrun

Do you agree with the choice to add some less common melee weapons as Syndicate Weapons?

Other (post an explanation below)

When it comes to the Syndicate melees it is a real mixed bag of opinions, at least for me.

:meridian: Vaykor Sydon is an odd choice, while I do enjoy the Sydon I don't see how Polearms are considered unpopular, since I see more Polearms than many other unpopular melees. If anything a Fist/Sparring would have been a considered choice since those are far more unpopular than a lot of other melees, so Furax could have fit the bill more. I would say Machete too but we really do need them to be reworked or tweaked before we do anything about them.

:hexis: Telos Boltace I completely disagree with because it doesn't fit too well with the Arbiter's "Sword" theme they have all on their sigils and syandana. And if Tonfas are less popular, then the Kronen would have been a better choice since it's more like a blade (like a sword). Plus it would have break the chain of AoH's predictable weapon choices.

:suda: Synoid Heliocor was obvious when the normal variant came, I still wished Heliocor was a Glaive-like melee instead of hammer, considering hammers are far from being "unpopular". 

:perrin: Secura Lecta is an eh, whips are very unpopular and I can very much agree with that statement. But if I remember correctly there was a plan of having a augment mod for the Lecta and this makes me unsure whether that mentioned mod would end up being a Syndicate mod (which would be another conflict situation.)

:redveil: Rakta Dark Dagger is conflicting  mainly because there is already a Syndicate Mod for the Dark Dagger in Red Veil, so why would you repeat the same conflict that Vaykor Hek had? Is it another case of those who don't learn from history repeat it? Karyst would have been a more unique choice since it is rarely mentioned and even has the description of being an assassin's dagger. Or even Heat Dagger with the fire theme Red Veil goes with.

:loka: Sancti Magistar has us go back to my thoughts on hammers, they aren't really considered "unpopular". A Scythe would have been a better choice since those are more undervalued, even Ether Reaper or Anku could pull off the Sancti look. Or even with the idea that Polearms are "unpopular", Tonbo would have been a choice. Or back to the Machete family, Nami Solo.

The idea of having unpopular and undervalued melee weapons for Syndicate melees sounded awesome in concept, but sadly it's execution wasn't pulled off well in the end since it just became one Syndicate being completely predictable and bland, TWO hammers, and another Syndicate mod compatibility conflict.

And sadly there's no way of reversing these choices unless the idea of "Syndicate Weapons Wave 2" becomes a thing.

I personally loved the army of shadows, but that's me, and that I have a pretty high-powered gaming platform to run Warframe on. Here's hoping for Syndicate Weapons next, gotta get that MR23 (though 22 is though as it is..)!

I guess the fact that the 'Casual' tag was the least chosen isn't that big of a surprise..

i chose "other" for the same reason that I'm seeing a lot of. 

Why are we creating syndicate versions of weapons that already have syndicate mods? Those mods either need to apply and work with every variation of that weapon or different weapons that do not have syndicate mods need to be chosen. This has me completely baffled because doing this essentially makes one or the other completely useless.

4. Do you agree with the choice to add some less common melee weapons as Syndicate Weapons?

The Good:

• Secura Lecta - The best choice by far since:
    • Whips are pretty underused at the moment.
    • We haven't had any awesome whips for a while aside from Atterax which in itself is kinda uncommon.
    • The weapon just screams Corpus.
  • Synoid Heliocor - Although it's not like hammers needed some boost, it introduced us to Heliocor which is new, unique & stylish. Plain and simple.

The Okay:

• Sancti Magistar - It fits New Loka and it looks absolutely stunning. Apparently, so does the Scythe... one of the coolest weapons that deserve some love - *and a longer handle*

The Bad:

• Rakta Dark Dagger - Is wrong on so many levels unless a way to disable it's auto syndicate proc is implemented which I don't think will happen anytime soon(pls prove me wrong).  It also is pretty much useless on stealth missions in general and will probably wake up enemies when using Ivara & Equinox too.
  • Synoid Sydon - Think about Steel Meridian's concept/background as a whole for a few mins...Now tell me that a FORK fits them really well.
  • Telos Boltace - By far the worst weapon line up of all syndicates. I like Red Veil so I hate them but this is too much. I can't help but feel pity for these guys.
Edited by Oranji

3. With the upcoming Shadows of the Dead changes, do you think quality of Shadows is better than quantity

Yes and no.  While having stronger shadows that don't need to be recast until defeated, it'll free up Nekros to either use some of his other abilites, or simply play the game more.  But on the other hand, limiting the amount of shadows Nekros can summon nerfs his Shield of Shadows augment.  Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the last DevStream, it was mentioned that the amount of shadows would get capped at around seven or so?  Looking on the wiki, Nekros can get up to 90% damage reduction with fifteen shadows, halving the maximum effectiveness of the augment.  So with the SotD changes, I feel a buff to Shield of Shadows is in order so Nekros can retain his current survivability.

52 minutes ago, armedpoop said:

About the "less popular melee weapons" thing, I was really hoping to see some actually less popular melee weapons, like sparring weapons, or sword and shield. (Maybe they arent "less popular" but theres certainly fewer of them.) We have had 2 sparring weapons for a really long time now, and sword and shields could really use some loving, among other weapon types.

I can say that the Lekta is probably by far the least popular melee weapons you guys chose, as far as weapon categories go. (based purely on my own experience, im sure you guys have actual numbers) But 2 hammers, and a polearm? I think I can confidently say that those are both among the most popular weapon types in game by far, especially hammers considering we just got Fragor Prime. I just think better choices couldve been made. 

Perrin Obex?