Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Forge of a Wurdyburd - Kabu Oni on Steam

Wurdyburd

Revised order, in order of newest to oldest.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kabu Oni Helmet complete!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=754703124

99478EF70CF5DE99E29567F3EB99B28E931D3319

I lost something along the way in development, and if it ends up being passed over by DE, i'll spend some time at a later date revising some of it, especially the back.
In the meantime, I personally like it, and I learned a bunch about doing this, so future content should be done faster.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Undercloak progress:

L7uRzoJ.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After much time humming and haahing at steam workshop stuff, i commit to making at least one helmet, posting here, and moving my butt into gear.
The draws I post here are more proof of concept, rather than including all the bits that would come with sculpting. Sculpting will come after I decide which to approach first, and/or after solidifying some design issues.

Here are designs I have so far:

pEOfej2.png

ASH:
  -Undercloak: I wanted to make a hooded Ash helmet because of how leather-oriented his armors seem to be. I know what it looks like, unintentional.
  -Kabu Oni: on suggestion, a demon kabuki mask. Within the mouth is a rebreather-type thing, and the back of the helmet is exploded out to reveal robotics, further selling the 'worn face' design.
MIRAGE:
  -Thalia: I wanted a mask that personified the happy/sad theatre masks, where two of the same blend together to form the other. I couldn't decide if I wanted sads blending into happy, or happy blending into sad, so I did both. 
VAUBAN:
  -Lavet: I lost steam a bit here [no pun intended] and this is due for a redesign, but the fundamentals are here. Asymmetrical clocksmith's eyepiece, and a faceguard implying mustache form.

Coming up next:
  -tribal berserker Valkyr, full skin
  -sylph Zephyr helmet, perhaps full skin
  -tornado Zephyr helmet
  -unicorn Oberon helmet
  -Hephaestus/Vulcan helmet

Let me know what you like and what you don't! 

Edited by Wurdyburd
Reordering/updating

Like the third Mirage one. Don't like the Vauban one or the Ash ones. I like the core of the second ash one, but I don't like the hood because I don't think it'd fit with Ash's body. Vauban one doesn't look like it fits Warframe.

Vauban's looks nice. I think with further development it would look even better.

I wouldn't say it doesn't fit Warframe either because it does <_< which is an amusing thing to say considering some of the content we already have which has been deemed acceptable.

1 minute ago, Naith said:

Vauban's looks nice. I think with further development it would look even better.

I wouldn't say it doesn't fit Warframe either because it does <_< which is an amusing thing to say considering some of the content we already have which has been deemed acceptable.

What does it fit with? It certainly doesn't fit with Vauban. The closest thing it resembles is the Grineer, and even they don't look quite like that.

1 hour ago, AntoineFlemming said:

What does it fit with? It certainly doesn't fit with Vauban.

Well that's your opinion and your view. It's clearly going to be redeveloped, but I still say it's not drastically 'out there' whereby it has no place in Warframe and doesn't 'fit'. Once more, already got stuff which - albeit very nice - could be considered pushing the boundaries, so saying such a thing really can be considered slightly odd.

Edited by Naith

7 hours ago, Jamescell said:

The Kabu Oni design is beautiful. I would finish that before starting the hooded one. 
Would you be interested in making a variant with tint-able gold? :D Personally not a big fan of Ash prime's helmet.

My goal as a cosmetic designer is to make helmets that fit both the normal and prime variant of each frame, since when using a prime, you can still use non-prime cosmetics.
Designing a helmet that specifically fits either the standard version or prime version of a frame decreases the chances for the helmet to be used by anyone, regardless of their inventory.

That said, both the Undercloak and Kabu Oni will have metal mechanical bits on them, which you could tint gold if you'd like; it just won't be the filigree that primes are known for.

2 hours ago, Wurdyburd said:

Proof of concept of the Undercloak helmet; the hood texture needs to be improved and the stitches made less obvious, but all the basic shapes are there.

L7uRzoJ.png

On 8/18/2016 at 7:50 AM, Wurdyburd said:

Work done on Kabu Oni, as further proof of concept.
Undercloak proof will come soon.

Epfce1t.png?1

v7qx4mD.gif

Also do you use Blender or ZBrush?

Edited by Shad0wWatcher

After retopologizing, texturing, and trying to figure out how the heck Warframe's maps work, I bring you beta-version Kabu Oni~

SbowUT8.png

With recolours!

Using Ash Prime colour palette:
HtJz8Ax.png

And for you Stalker fans:
UZqXNTc.png

There's still some work that I can do on this. I'm considering removing the mechanical plating on the back from the ability to recolour, and at the very least adding a considerable amount of additional detail to those portions and to the front mask. I'm also not wholly satisfied with his neck protrusions, and will be probably doing them over for the full release/future remake.
Though regrettable, Ash Prime swapped around a bunch of colour slots in terms of their surface-area dominance on the model, so I had to compensate the best I could to allow the helmet to work both on the standard Ash, and it's Prime variant. [ex. the third slot is used for gold now, when on standard it's the green stitching, and the second slot is the Prime's gray body, when it's the brown plating on standard]

>Would removing the ability to colour the plastic plates toward the back of the skull [red in the Prime variant] bother people?

>Would you prefer that it is colourable, but give it some kind of decals instead?

>Would decals on the front mask be desirable, or do people prefer that it remain blank?

Thanks for your input in helping along to make this as nice as I can!

On 8/11/2016 at 1:51 AM, Wurdyburd said:

Revised order, in order of newest to oldest.

After retopologizing, texturing, and trying to figure out how the heck Warframe's maps work, I bring you beta-version Kabu Oni~
Please offer your opinions and poll answers at the main post at the bottom!

With recolours!
Using Ash Prime colour palette:

And for you Stalker fans:

Undercloak progress:

L7uRzoJ.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After much time humming and haahing at steam workshop stuff, i commit to making at least one helmet, posting here, and moving my butt into gear.
The draws I post here are more proof of concept, rather than including all the bits that would come with sculpting. Sculpting will come after I decide which to approach first, and/or after solidifying some design issues.

Here are designs I have so far:

pEOfej2.png

ASH:
  -Undercloak: I wanted to make a hooded Ash helmet because of how leather-oriented his armors seem to be. I know what it looks like, unintentional.
  -Kabu Oni: on suggestion, a demon kabuki mask. Within the mouth is a rebreather-type thing, and the back of the helmet is exploded out to reveal robotics, further selling the 'worn face' design.
MIRAGE:
  -Thalia: I wanted a mask that personified the happy/sad theatre masks, where two of the same blend together to form the other. I couldn't decide if I wanted sads blending into happy, or happy blending into sad, so I did both. 
VAUBAN:
  -Lavet: I lost steam a bit here [no pun intended] and this is due for a redesign, but the fundamentals are here. Asymmetrical clocksmith's eyepiece, and a faceguard implying mustache form.

Coming up next:
  -tribal berserker Valkyr, full skin
  -sylph Zephyr helmet, perhaps full skin
  -tornado Zephyr helmet
  -unicorn Oberon helmet
  -Hephaestus/Vulcan helmet

Let me know what you like and what you don't! 

ASh and hood is the best helm and i hope for more 2 see...and don't forget to look more like sci-fi and not like warcraft...and i wish you the best...you are my hope for cool staff :cool: 

Edited by Vlada91

Did you bake your normal map with inverted Y axis (Y-) or inverted green channel? Because at the moment your normal map didn't look right.

Also, i suggest paying equal care to the back side of your helmet. After all, that's the part you'll look at most of the times.