Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shared affinity not a fair system

Guvna-D

1 hour ago, bluepheonix13 said:

Well, ofc, if you kill everything with your maxed warframe without a focus lens, all affinity is "lost" (although still visible in profile). I think everyone that has commented so far knows how affinity works, some just think you don't and that's where misunderstandings happen.

This is the only other guy in the thread who understands how shared affinity works and how it can be exploited.If you guys really cant see how you can exploit shared affinity, to rank up everything your carrying while doing nothing, then im stunned.I do it with my friends all the time, as we agree to it, but its just not fun, and kind of dirty.Most of you dont understand how to do it so i guess i'll just do it myself like i said if you cant beat 'em join them.

7 minutes ago, Guvna-D said:

This is the only other guy in the thread who understands how shared affinity works and how it can be exploited.If you guys really cant see how you can exploit shared affinity, to rank up everything your carrying while doing nothing, then im stunned.I do it with my friends all the time, as we agree to it, but its just not fun, and kind of dirty.Most of you dont understand how to do it so i guess i'll just do it myself like i said if you cant beat 'em join them.

I think most of us understand how shared affinity works (I mean we use it all the time to level our gear up) but very rarely do I encounter pure leeches. The only time that happens is when a group of friends squad up, and 1 or 2 people end up not really doing anything because they don't need to, What's the problem?

2 minutes ago, Terror-Of-Death said:

What's the problem?

What kind of enjoyable gameplay is that? The grind is bad enough, without grinding while doing nothing, or taking it in turns to do everything.And this happens in pub games all the time.80% of the time theres 1 person doing all the killing, 2 people leeching and 1 dying all the time.I just wanted to bring it to peoples attention that the system actually rewards leechers a lot.

You get as much xp as everyone else. It just goes to your frame/weapon you killing enemies with. If they are maxed this affinity goes to waste, except you adding focus lens to them of course, then it goes to your docus points.. 

Just now, Guvna-D said:

What kind of enjoyable gameplay is that? The grind is bad enough, without grinding while doing nothing, or taking it in turns to do everything.And this happens in pub games all the time.80% of the time theres 1 person doing all the killing, 2 people leeching and 1 dying all the time.I just wanted to bring it to peoples attention that the system actually rewards leechers a lot.

That happens only about 1/5 of the games at Berehynia for me. When I go to Akkad I don't have that problem. Bere really isn't a good map to level your gear, now that there's Stofler, Akkad, Hieracon, Sechura and other places. I'd argue that pure leechers aren't rewarded well because many of the games we lose because the leechers weren't doing jack and everybody loses the bonus affinity.

30 minutes ago, Guvna-D said:
1 hour ago, bluepheonix13 said:

-snip-

I think everyone that has commented so far knows how affinity works, some just think you don't and that's where misunderstandings happen.

This is the only other guy in the thread who understands how shared affinity works

I love how the guy you said is the only one who gets it actually said that everybody gets it.

31 minutes ago, Guvna-D said:

Most of you dont understand how to do it so i guess i'll just do it myself like i said if you cant beat 'em join them.

Everybody here understands how the system works. We just don't think it's an "exploit" or "dirty," and we don't think it encourages people to do nothing. We also don't see many leeches and when we do we usually ignore them or just don't res them, whereas apparently you're entire game experience is being ruined by the fact that other people get shared xp. Some of us like being able to play support, you know?

Heres a screen shot of a mission i just did, purposefully leeched.I tried to do as little as possible, my carrier appears to have got 60 kills, i'll turn it off next time.Look at the affinity my weapons got for just being there, a detriment to the team.

81E423C84B3BC4831DCB42F96D1D6B9995918C02

Just now, Guvna-D said:

Heres a screen shot of a mission i just did, purposefully leeched.I tried to do as little as possible, my carrier appears to have got 60 kills, i'll turn it off next time.Look at the affinity my weapons got for just being there, a detriment to the team.

81E423C84B3BC4831DCB42F96D1D6B9995918C02

Oh, wow! I've never seen this before! How did... Oh, wait, nevermind, this is literally the way things have been working since I started playing the game. Do you really still think that we don't know how this game works? So you proved that you can leech. Congrats.

5 minutes ago, Lord_Azrael said:

Oh, wow! I've never seen this before! How did... Oh, wait, nevermind, this is literally the way things have been working since I started playing the game. Do you really still think that we don't know how this game works? So you proved that you can leech. Congrats.

So you think it was fair that i was rewarded for leeching, gaining more from the mission than the guy who did all the work? And that the system pretty much encourages me to do this?....fine

Just now, Guvna-D said:

So you think it was fair that i was rewarded for leeching, gaining more from the mission than the guy who did all the work? And that the system pretty much encourages me to do this?....fine

Is it fair for you to leech? No. If you were leeching in my mission I would ignore you and if you died I wouldn't res you. But that doesn't mean that the system is broken. Leeching isn't a major problem in the game, I rarely see leechers at all. And you aren't encouraged to leech, you just aren't discouraged very much. You don't get anything extra for leeching, but you do miss out on other stuff. And of course if you go afk you'll miss out on a lot more.

4 minutes ago, Guvna-D said:

There are situations where people aren't necessarily leeching, but some other player is "stealing" all the kills so they get less kills, should they get punished for it?
I'd like to ask you to do one thing if you have the time. Take 3 unranked weapons into an Exterminate mission solo, and kill only using your warframe abilities. See what you get. Your weapons will get some exp from the "side quest" thingy at the start of every mission, and some mission exp, but no exp from the kills in the mission.

Edited by Rostiel
i know how to spell

5 minutes ago, Guvna-D said:

I think that if someone wants to be a jagoff and leech, it's not going to stop me from completing the mission. If I don't like it, I'll just put them on ignore so I don't have to deal with them again.

Meanwhile, the shared affinity system prevents Ash from slurping up all the affinity for himself and leaving none for anyone else. You want to talk dirty and unfair, that would be dirty and unfair. If we get rid of shared affinity, how is Trinity supposed to get any affinity if there's an Ash in the party?

Leeching is far, far less of an issue than hallway heroes and support frames. Shared affinity is the most fair solution available.

Support frames could easily be fixed by gaining XP for heals and buffs, like an XP percentage of heals/damage mitigated, and XP percentage of damage done using buffs.I agree support frames also get the short end of the stick.And i already said that making it into a kill race would be worse.But the system does encourage leeching, if you kill an enemy only the weapon or warframe used gains xp, rather than someone else kills them and it is split to all your weapons and warframe.It means its more efficient to not kill things yourself, and rank up more items at once.

10 minutes ago, Guvna-D said:

But the system does encourage leeching, if you kill an enemy only the weapon or warframe used gains xp, rather than someone else kills them and it is split to all your weapons and warframe.It means its more efficient to not kill things yourself, and rank up more items at once.

Unless you're smart enough to put mods on your unranked weapons and you know that getting kills with it will mean more xp goes to it rather than your warframe... Like we've been telling you all along...

4 minutes ago, Lord_Azrael said:

Unless you're smart enough to put mods on your unranked weapons and you know that getting kills with it will mean more xp goes to it rather than your warframe... Like we've been telling you all along...

But im smart enough to know that equipping 3 unranked weapons and standing next to an Ash bladestorming, will rank all 3 faster.

The unfair part isn't the shared exp. Its the self exp. You can kill as much as you want all day with your warframe skills but none of that exp will go to your weapons. But it will for your party members. Dafaq. People might actually enjoy killing and carrying people if it ment that they could get exp on their weapons too. not just their frame

28 minutes ago, LuckyCharm said:

The unfair part isn't the shared exp. Its the self exp. You can kill as much as you want all day with your warframe skills but none of that exp will go to your weapons. But it will for your party members. Dafaq. People might actually enjoy killing and carrying people if it ment that they could get exp on their weapons too. not just their frame

Exactly, i love killing stuff and doing well, carrying new players through missions they may not of been able to do.But when im ranking stuff up, the fastest way is to leech off of some high dps guy/guys, and soak up his XP.Even with the max 22 points to spend on modding an unranked weapon to kill with, it doesnt even compete with standing next to a fully modded Ash or Mesa, or Saryn.Using one unranked barely modded weapon can never generate XP as fast as a fully modded dps frame or weapon.And shared XP from standing near them is distributed across everything equipped, so you can carry more unranked items that ranks up much faster.

If even a tiny portion of the wasted XP, given to maxed items, went towards weapons your carrying that aren't maxed, it would be better.

3 hours ago, Guvna-D said:

Support frames could easily be fixed by gaining XP for heals and buffs, like an XP percentage of heals/damage mitigated, and XP percentage of damage done using buffs.I agree support frames also get the short end of the stick.And i already said that making it into a kill race would be worse.But the system does encourage leeching, if you kill an enemy only the weapon or warframe used gains xp, rather than someone else kills them and it is split to all your weapons and warframe.It means its more efficient to not kill things yourself, and rank up more items at once.

So... everything would be worse, but at least we'd stop that leeching problem that basically never happens outside of groups specifically and voluntarily set up to do so.

To the extent that there's a problem at all, and I don't really agree that there is, there isn't a solution available that doesn't make things worse.

Edited by motorfirebox

8 hours ago, Guvna-D said:

edit:Heres a quote from one of your previous posts  Daconius, your abusing the very issue i highlighted lol

"I see Also worth noting that having someone who does a lot of short-range AOE damage is great if you're ranking up garbage weapons like Kraken, since allowing it to earn ambient xp from other group members is less torturous than actually using it to kill things.    I'm always thrilled to see simulors or bladstorm spamming when I'm in that situation"

It's only "abuse" if the affinity system wasn't designed in exactly that way and if anyone agreed with your complaints about the system which, clearly, they do not.   When I need to rank up a garbage weapon I'll play a frame that does not, itself, kill everything in sight but rather makes it easier for other players to do so...  eg, minimum duration banshee, nyx, rhino, etc etc...    I reiterate:  this is a co-op game, and it isn't a kill competition to people who understand what that means.    Stick to PVP if you're that miserable a failure at being a team player.

PS: The contraction of "you are" is "you're" not "your" - and before you claim I'm being a grammar nazi, my 7-year-old daughter learned the difference in grade 2... I think there are bare minimum standards that adults can manage, and "things grade schoolers can master" seems a reasonable benchmark. 

18 hours ago, Daconius said:

It's only "abuse" if the affinity system wasn't designed in exactly that way and if anyone agreed with your complaints about the system which, clearly, they do not.   When I need to rank up a garbage weapon I'll play a frame that does not, itself, kill everything in sight but rather makes it easier for other players to do so...  eg, minimum duration banshee, nyx, rhino, etc etc...    I reiterate:  this is a co-op game, and it isn't a kill competition to people who understand what that means.    Stick to PVP if you're that miserable a failure at being a team player.

PS: The contraction of "you are" is "you're" not "your" - and before you claim I'm being a grammar nazi, my 7-year-old daughter learned the difference in grade 2... I think there are bare minimum standards that adults can manage, and "things grade schoolers can master" seems a reasonable benchmark. 

Wow you ever thought of a new career writing speeches for Trump? Pointing out typo's, comparing people to children, and calling them a failure, is one of the requirements.Think about it.I would apply myself, if i wasn't suffering from such a severe burn.

Yes this is a coop game.But what im pointing out is that, when ranking items up, you are rewarded more for being a leech.And you seem to have missed the point, i think this is bad.Sure you can help buff, if you really want, maximize that leech.Still getting more reward, for minimum effort.

2 hours ago, Guvna-D said:

Wow you ever thought of a new career writing speeches for Trump? Pointing out typo's, comparing people to children, and calling them a failure, is one of the requirements.Think about it.I would apply myself, if i wasn't suffering from such a severe burn.

Yes this is a coop game.But what im pointing out is that, when ranking items up, you are rewarded more for being a leech.And you seem to have missed the point, i think this is bad.Sure you can help buff, if you really want, maximize that leech.Still getting more reward, for minimum effort.

It wasn't a typo - you've used "your" as "you are" more than once in this thread alone - you clearly don't know the difference.  Yes, I'm comparing you unfavourably to children, as children as young as 7 years old are taught the difference in school.   I think adults that plan to use written language should at least have the composition skills of a grade schooler.   Maybe I expect too much...  but hey, you don't want to be a literacy leech, right?  Pull your linguistic weight!

I'm not calling you a generalized failure, either - I'm saying you're a failure at being a team player if you are bothered by the fact that your teammates are earning as much affinity as you are during team missions.   They...are...your...team.  You are not in competition with those people, and you are not diminished by their successes.    If you're bladestorming all over the place and unhappy that all that XP goes to your frame while your teammates get it divided among their equipment then a great solution would be to stop killing absolutely everything and let your teammates do some killing.... or hey, try just not worrying about it and focusing on completing the mission.

Again, this is a co-op game.   If you queue for a public group you are placed on a TEAM, and that TEAM has a shared goal.   If, upon completion of that shared goal you feel you deserve greater reward because you're awesome and they suck, then you're probably not a team player...  maybe you should stick to PVP and Solo missions where your awesomeness can shine to your satisfaction?