Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Assimilate" augment is actually "Turtle mode"

letir

New augment for the Absorb is practical, but boring.

It greatly reduce your speed and disable any maneuvers, and also greatly reduce Absorb range. You cannot play as tank, because your speed is stricted. You cannot use Absorb as "active bomb", because butchered range means very small zone of damage blast.

All that you can do is slowly crawl around, draw aggro and shoot/cast at enemies, while being invincible.

How exactly it's combining with "dynamic gameplay"? How exactly i'm supposed to play as ninja with speed of a snail? Hell, Iron Skin doing exactly the same thing, but it dosen't restrict you at all, and not channeled.

All movements restriction should be removed from this augment. They can be replaced with reduced efficiency, or reduced damage from abosrbing, or with something else.

This augment its one of biggest jokes I‘ve ever saw in this game, it makes Absorb ability even more useless than it is without it.

Speed only 50% without any options to do slides or other moves, you can just walk, WHY?
Range reduced by half??? Absorb has one of the smallest ranges of all 4th abilities, even with Stretch and Overextended it isnt much good, but with this augment it is just joke.

Nyx abilities needs rework. All fourth. This augment just made me angry, because it looks like someone is making fun of players who use her.

I laughed when i saw the description of the augment.

I hold Absorb to be generally useless anyway (due to energy drain on taking damage) but this augment does absolutely F*** all to alleviate that and makes one thing thats already sorta bad, even worse.

• 2 months later...

Have you guys never used this augment with the ack and brunt? Obviously not, you can get around just fine with it. The main purpose of this ability is to turn you into a tank, the reduced range is a gift as you can absorb less damage effectively reducing the drain on absorb. With that in mind, i did a 40 minute ODS with my friend, I only took 1% of the damage, and the only reason we left is because he could no longer handle the enemies.

3 minutes ago, Momo2gud4u said:

Have you guys never used this augment with the ack and brunt? Obviously not, you can get around just fine with it. The main purpose of this ability is to turn you into a tank, the reduced range is a gift as you can absorb less damage effectively reducing the drain on absorb. With that in mind, i did a 40 minute ODS with my friend, I only took 1% of the damage, and the only reason we left is because he could no longer handle the enemies.

Exactly, it's a amazing mod.

On 20.08.2016 at 3:31 AM, PodriS said:

This augment its one of biggest jokes I‘ve ever saw in this game, it makes Absorb ability even more useless than it is without it.

Absorb is pretty useful. Toggling it on and off gets you a radial knockdown for 25en, heh.

Jat Kittag with the Crushing Ruin stance, Silva&Aegis or Ack&Brunt with the stance I forgot what.

It does pretty good as I can move around like a bit slow-then-quick hamster ball but wrecking everything! You need weapons with good mobility but don't use the one where you need to slide or jump to do a stance because while in Assimilate Absorb, Nyx can't slide and jump.

Also helps you revive a downed person while absorbing damage.

BUT YOU CAN'T SELF-DAMAGE YOURSELF WITH ASSIMILATE :(

Edited by Vexagohn

Iron skin works as-is because it's stripped away rather quickly at higher levels, turning it into basically paper skin leaving one having to recast it over and over again as it's reduced to nothing, in addition to not attracting enemy aggro.

Absorb, on the other hand, renders you totally invincible and even lets you reflect back enemy fire, while acting as an aggro-attractor/tank, which iron skin doesn't do.

Just think of it like this; if Nyx could move freely while using Absorb, the game could be broken in as simple a way as turning on Absorb and flying around a bit, because it attracts enemy fire, letting you play the part of an invincible, mobile Decoy that can fly and can deal massive amounts of damage, while still having access to your abilities.

Point is, the choice was made for it it act as it does for balancing purposes. Personally, this augment was enough to make me start using Nyx again after having not touched her in 6 months, because it turns her into something I feel Warframe was lacking; a true, aggro-attracting tank.

Edited by Jackviator

it's one of the few augments that's actually useful, i don't know what you're complaining about, you want to be fast, be able to shoot/melee/whatever AND be invulnerable? it'd be obiviously broken, there's got to be a downside to being invulnerable, the augment is great in my opinion

Do you guys know that you can actually use your weapons and skills while under Assimilate right ? If anything, that augment turns Assimilate into one heck of a god mode button. You can also use the ability while aimgliding in order to retain some kind of mobility for a moment, allowing some special and smart ways to use the augment. This actually makes Assimilate borderline overpowered in my opinion.

That augment is definitely useful and extremely powerful. I don't know the few people who says the augment is worthless actually tried it.

Absorb is of strictly limited use.
As if 8 energy per 1k damage, a 10 meter base radius (read: tied for the smallest radius in the game) and Magnetic damage (and the reduction of magnetic damage taken, explicitly so you can't back-and-forth between 2 Nyxs anymore like you can with 2 Maimquinox) weren't enough, you're also completely disabled: stationary, no weapons, no abilities and no interaction.

Assimilate, on the other hand, trades 50% of your radius (which you're probably not using for large area control anyway) - and a mod slot... on a strength-independent frame - to fix almost every single one of those penalties.
It is so freaking amazing I'm tempted to call it broken even despite the damage->energy-drain change of way back when.

That said, it is not a very kinetic experience.

Edited by Chroia

Just to note, this thread was started back in august. This is low level necro.

With that out of the way...

I love that Nyx was given this augment. Being able to move and still use weapons to fight while nearly invincible is awesome. With max range, I can camp excavators and make them indestructible. When a teammate goes down, I activate absorb and res them. The best of all about this augment? It doesn't accept damage from other players, which means you can't be griefed and have all of your energy drained in an instant!

This was a much needed augment.

On August 19, 2016 at 4:28 PM, letir said:

New augment for the Absorb is practical, but boring.

It greatly reduce your speed and disable any maneuvers, and also greatly reduce Absorb range. You cannot play as tank, because your speed is stricted. You cannot use Absorb as "active bomb", because butchered range means very small zone of damage blast.

All that you can do is slowly crawl around, draw aggro and shoot/cast at enemies, while being invincible.

How exactly it's combining with "dynamic gameplay"? How exactly i'm supposed to play as ninja with speed of a snail? Hell, Iron Skin doing exactly the same thing, but it dosen't restrict you at all, and not channeled.

All movements restriction should be removed from this augment. They can be replaced with reduced efficiency, or reduced damage from abosrbing, or with something else.

Here's the simple answer, and I hope DE is listening:

Walking should keep the Mod as is, but give the option to run at a greater rate of power drain - see Volt Riot Shield.

On 11/7/2016 at 8:49 PM, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

Contrary to popular belief Tanks are actually rather quick.

aaaand contrary to that...  Tanks in videogames are meant to hold aggro and be survivable, and sometimes are really really slow or are more then likely to be the slowest speed wise compared to the rest of the party composition [/nerd]

Assimilate is effective, but i would agree it is kind've dull.
it's quite Overpowered even in the current state, taking enough Damage to consider turning it off seems to be much, much harder to do than it would be normally - which means while you move slower you can use this nigh indefinitely.
(actually, does Damage cost Energy at all? it seems like it might not since even if someone shoots Assimilate with a Shotgun the Nyx doesn't care at all - if so would literally be unmetered Godmode)

On 11/7/2016 at 9:49 PM, (PS4)DesecratedFlame said:

Contrary to popular belief Tanks are actually rather quick.

to be fair all even remotely modern Tanks are based off of Medium Tanks, and therefore they are not the 'tank of tanks'. the 'Tank' trope is absolutely based off of Heavy or Super Heavy Tanks.

I have always loved Nyx, and since acquiring the augment I have played her more than ever before, especially in high level content. With my build and play style with her it finally feels like she's the frame I wanted her to be. I don't keep it on 24/7 but when I jump headfirst into a situation that I would normally regret (on most frames) I now have a way out. I also use it for getting allies up, hacking consoles, defending mobile defense stations and excavators. I'm not concerned with the absorption damage, because I now have access to my other powers and weapons which can out-damage and out-range the blast radius anyway. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I want to make a few points here for and against Absorb and Assimilate

1. Absorb visual effect this hurts both augmented and none. For the non augmented it is difficult to tell what is in range as you can't see your bubble it is best guess. For the Assimilated it is difficult to see and aim at targets due to the blurring effect of Absorb so I believe a change should be made to Absorb's visual effects.

2. Absorbs base range hurts the non augmented Absorb the most w/ max range, and possibly negative strength, the range is maxed at 25m Radius most other moves while less potential damage have greater range. The fact you will often need/want to "charge up" the ability hinders it further allowing enemies to move out of range or never entering the range before detonating. I mostly use Absorb, w/o the augment, for a CC effect or to stop damage to something or someone, which is what Assimilate is good for, so it is barely a damage ability as is. This in my opinion doesn't really hurt Assimilate as I don't expect it to ever be good on much more than melee attackers when detonating so little to no increase if needed for it. If they increased Absorb to base of 15 and increased the penalty of Assimilate to 1/3 it would improve unaugmented and keep the augment the same.

3. Assimilated speed reduction while understandable and at its base acceptable a few edits I believe would be reasonable and much improve QoL for those using Assimilate. First I don't see a need for roll (unless trolled by a limbo), bullet jump, back flips, or slides. I would like to be able to jump but it is more just how I play and move would have minimal impact on my mobility. The main addition/improvement to this I would like to see is returning sprint as an available mobility option as if I am not mistaken if you begin shooting or aiming while sprinting it ends the sprint so it would not be a huge buff to anyone using Assimilate and would help when moving to an objective or a pickup. This would also open up more modding options allowing players to add sprint speed mods in place of many other mods they might be using. I do understand how some other mobility options may be tied to sprint but this change could help some minor annoyances I have experienced using Assimilate.

I will end with that while I have these issues overall I enjoy running Assimilate on my Nyx provides an additional play style to her repertoire making her more versatile than before. I am compelled to add that I find the unaugmented Absorb mostly a situationally used tool than an ability for damage.