Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

FPS Drops After Silver Grove Update

Ruoppox

9 minutes ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Thank you for these videos. This is extremely helpful. Just to confirm, you're saying that you can experience these performance issues even when you're not streaming on Twitch? We would like to rule out streaming as a potential culprit. 

Yep, the performance issues occur when I am not streaming. I just installed the streaming software for the purposes of this thread.

4 minutes ago, Pyus said:

Yep, the performance issues occur when I am not streaming. I just installed the streaming software for the purposes of this thread.

I can recommend to record using OBS and use the Nvenc method, also please record and make it smaller with a decent bitrate of 50000

streaming with high CPU usage is not recommended with this kind of performance numbers.

To say your pc is not the fastest ever but its decent. but I would not recommend to stream with, I stream with a setup that makes it possible to prevent CPU bottlenecks.
so if you can please record instead of streaming it, but well it can help.

Chao, The Roaring Lion

1 hour ago, TheRoaringLion said:

To say your pc is not the fastest ever but its decent. but I would not recommend to stream with, I stream with a setup that makes it possible to prevent CPU bottlenecks.
so if you can please record instead of streaming it, but well it can help.

I really wouldn't worry about it. We got what we needed from the videos, and as Pyus has already said performance is the same even when not streaming. 

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

11 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

I really wouldn't worry about it. We got what we needed from the videos, and as Pyus has already said performance is the same even when not streaming. 

Ah well just to rule out if it really is the case, I have seen CPU's being chugged when streaming resulting in negative performance.

As he said no difference is a bit odd tho, but well Just wanted to be sure and rule some stuff out before we make bigger conclusions.

Although I get somewhat better numbers I still do not prefer the usage of Warframe overall.

Tomorrow there will be another stream and I will record it.

Edit: Please also say what software you are using I use OBS, but Nvidia shadow play and others are also present like XSplit.

Chao, The Roaring Lion

Edited by TheRoaringLion
typho and the EDIT

@[DE]Dmitri I have several event ID issues on my system, I don't know why this should be a big problem because running on latest bios version.

I manually set my clock speeds to 4.6 to 4.8 GHz respectively when summer time and no summer time.
I also Disabled speed-step and turbo boost because of choppy sound and other peculiar bugs while recording and listening to music.

I can ask MSI for a bios update or just revert to default settings that I personally won't prefer.(If it is the OC issue)
Windows%20Issues.PNG

Chao, The Roaring Lion

Edited by TheRoaringLion

6 hours ago, TheRoaringLion said:

I can ask MSI for a bios update or just revert to default settings that I personally won't prefer.(If it is the OC issue)

It looks like these errors may actually be a result of having Speedstep disabled. I would try enabling that and see if that solves the issue.
Although the fact that you're hearing choppy sounds / other problems with Speedstep + turbo boost enabled is concerning. 

With that said, for the sake of Warframe performance it would be interesting to see if there is any improvement if you revert to default settings.

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

14 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

It looks like these errors may actually be a result of having Speedstep disabled. I would try enabling that and see if that solves the issue.
Although the fact that you're hearing choppy sounds / other problems with Speedstep + turbo boost enabled is concerning. 

With that said, for the sake of Warframe performance it would be interesting to see if there is any improvement if you revert to default settings.

I tried and well Nope choppy sound is because of windows throttling and the turbo boost kicking in.

I recently looked into this and it has nothing to do with bad PC performance my manual OC also depends on the stability of running at the same speed all the time.

I use apps like Virtual Audio Cable and these are not the problem tho, having same issues with stock settings and stock speed-step and turbo boost makes it worse.

I have used apps to test latency issues and they arise with speed-step and turbo boost (Including the sound issues) I hoped it was a driver issue but it has more to do with it.

It has to do with it that the constantly switching frequencies on high load can cause this so that's why I did this.

Chao, The Roaring Lion

• 2 weeks later...

The fps is still awful, despite it having improved in some places, most of the problems are still there, by example in the latest gift of the lotus, interception on earth running at 20 fps without a single enemy on screen, and now they will add grass?, good luck we will need it

I didn't have FPS problems until about a week ago.  In single player games I have no performance issues whatsoever.  As soon as I join a multiplayer game my FPS drops to between 15 and 20.  I've asked other people in the mission if they're having problems, and the answer is usually no.  It's not connection speed, since I have over 100mbps down and over 10 up.

The thing that's most bizarre is that display settings mostly don't matter.  I shut off every graphical option, and the only thing that seemed to help was vsync, and that helped in that instead of 10-15 fps I get 15-20.  I've turned everything else back on so that it's at least pretty while jerking around like a flipbook.

I've tried the "Verify integrity of game cache..." option in steam, as well as using the "Verify" and "Optimize" options from the Warframe launcher.  I've also tried different combinations of DirectX 10, DirectX 11, and 64-bit mode from the launcher.  Nothing there has helped.

My graphics drivers are up to date, and so is my windows.

Everything was fine last Sunday afternoon when I logged in to run the sorties.  When I logged in Sunday evening for my daily reward and syndicate experience, it had gotten terrible.  There wasn't an update between those log-ins.

40 minutes ago, rockscl said:

The fps is still awful, despite it having improved in some places, most of the problems are still there, by example in the latest gift of the lotus, interception on earth running at 20 fps without a single enemy on screen, and now they will add grass?, good luck we will need it

they are trying to optimize but it is hard so be patient

2 minutes ago, ScoutInTheNight said:

I didn't have FPS problems until about a week ago.  In single player games I have no performance issues whatsoever.  As soon as I join a multiplayer game my FPS drops to between 15 and 20.  I've asked other people in the mission if they're having problems, and the answer is usually no.  It's not connection speed, since I have over 100mbps down and over 10 up.

The thing that's most bizarre is that display settings mostly don't matter.  I shut off every graphical option, and the only thing that seemed to help was vsync, and that helped in that instead of 10-15 fps I get 15-20.  I've turned everything else back on so that it's at least pretty while jerking around like a flipbook.

I've tried the "Verify integrity of game cache..." option in steam, as well as using the "Verify" and "Optimize" options from the Warframe launcher.  I've also tried different combinations of DirectX 10, DirectX 11, and 64-bit mode from the launcher.  Nothing there has helped.

My graphics drivers are up to date, and so is my windows.

Everything was fine last Sunday afternoon when I logged in to run the sorties.  When I logged in Sunday evening for my daily reward and syndicate experience, it had gotten terrible.  There wasn't an update between those log-ins.

Thing is what are your specs? we can not know what your general performance is.
Thing is tho yes WF uses a general bit of your CPU.

Chao, The Roaring Lion

On 10/8/2016 at 1:34 PM, ScoutInTheNight said:

The fact that you were fine up until last week is definitely unusual. Did you happen to update your video card drivers? (If using Windows 10, is there any chance that Windows may have updated them for you?)

Could get you to submit a support ticket with a copy of your EE.log? That way we can see if there is anything going on with the engine that we can improve.

Thanks.

On 10/8/2016 at 0:56 PM, rockscl said:

Sorry to hear this, rockscl. We are working to make improvements to missions like Interception. As far as grass is concerned, whether or not it appears in-game will be entirely up to you. If you find that it causes your game to run poorly then you will be able to disable it through the Warframe settings.

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

1 hour ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Sorry to hear this, rockscl. We are working to make improvements to missions like Interception. As far as grass is concerned, whether or not it appears in-game will be entirely up to you. If you find that it causes your game to run poorly then you will be able to disable it through the Warframe settings.

Missions on Earth always tend to have lower frame rates than in other places, however, some tiles are much worse than they should be, for example tiles with toxin injectors, ever since around the time when we got lightning changes, those injectors started killing frames really hard, it must be the effects on them. Grineer Galleons have this issue too wherever there's lightning effects (which in some tiles in the infested version the effects aren't present and there aren't any issues), even when the tile is really small which one of them is, the lightning effects can make you lose a LOT of frames. Underwater labs also have this issue in rooms with glass bubbles that have experiments inside, it didn't happen before when we got the map, later on the effects on the bubbles started murdering frames. The problem is how we can't turn off some effects like the lightning ones causing issues, so even if you run on a system that can keep over 50 most of the time (on a full party, because full party always means FPS drops even when you are looking at a wall and nothing is happening near you which is... silly), those tiles will make you go to 30 and below.

I Did some tests today ! Here is the resoult  

Test system 

Windows 10 Pro

I7 2600k Overclocked 4,5Ghz
GTX 970 
Asus Rog Swift 1440p 144hz Gsync

Video is probably still rendering so 1080p 60fps ready 1440p 60fps will come when processed.
However on this video u see the CPU use is very high and allways higher then GPU 
even tho i do use 80% CPU and 40% GPU there is room to push the FPS to my Gsync settings of 143-144fps it wont do it. 

And allso as u can see in the video changing resolution from 1080p to 1440p does not give me more FPS or less couse game is totaly CPU bound 
is there a way to make GPU take of some of that LOAD 4,5Ghz i7 should be able to push that on stable 144FPS in 1080p.

Edited by Lolish

11 hours ago, Lolish said:

I Did some tests today ! Here is the resoult  

Test system 

Windows 10 Pro

I7 2600k Overclocked 4,5Ghz
GTX 970 
Asus Rog Swift 1440p 144hz Gsync

Video is probably still rendering so 1080p 60fps ready 1440p 60fps will come when processed.
However on this video u see the CPU use is very high and allways higher then GPU 
even tho i do use 80% CPU and 40% GPU there is room to push the FPS to my Gsync settings of 143-144fps it wont do it.

And allso as u can see in the video changing resolution from 1080p to 1440p does not give me more FPS or less couse game is totaly CPU bound 
is there a way to make GPU take of some of that LOAD 4,5Ghz i7 should be able to push that on stable 144FPS in 1080p.

As much you have overclocked that old CPU I can say you one thing, em wut you are not running at 4.5 Ghz more or like according to core-temp @ 1.6 Ghz, not 4.5Ghz.

Fake%20OC.PNG

and I compared this on my pc also and well to no surprise, your core temp version is too old.
True%20OC.PNG

I gotta say if your OC is seriously on that speed, your processor is doing what it can and actually it is doing what it suppost to do.
Although I also wished Warframe draws less CPU instead of GPU this is how the game is working and they are working on performance improvements.

So please be patient and hang in there, also check your clocks because it is a little sketchy.
Also the clock speed you get on the task manager like I have 5.67 Ghz is BS and totally irrelevant.

Chao, The Roaring Lion

Edited by TheRoaringLion

5 hours ago, Lolish said:

The Overclock is fine everywhere i look its 4,5Ghz

Alright just to be sure, also perhaps to say WF Draws more CPU then GPU this is because how the game is written and handled, its perfectly fine although I would prefer otherwise this is not possible like in a snap of my fingers.

TBH your framerate is not to complain of in the vid, its decent and way above the 60 fps low mark that everyone seems to adopt nowdays.

I gotta say if you want to have more performance get a faster CPU and a new mobo, thats the only fix so far I can come up with and even then don't expect better performance.
Even some people with a 8 core 16 thread monster running at 4.5Ghz can not get higher then 45 frames sometimes because of how Warframe is coded.

They are certainly looking into this but it is really hard to optimize and it will take time, so please hang in there and try to help out the game by reporting bugs and or hitches that hurt the game, send those to the support and provide the EE.log to them and or screenshots.

Chao, The Roaring Lion

Edited by TheRoaringLion

1 hour ago, TheRoaringLion said:

Alright just to be sure, also perhaps to say WF Draws more CPU then GPU this is because how the game is written and handled, its perfectly fine although I would prefer otherwise this is not possible like in a snap of my fingers.

TBH your framerate is not to complain of in the vid, its decent and way above the 60 fps low mark that everyone seems to adopt nowdays.

Should have tested in multi-player games.

It has huge difference not because of the amount of the enemies.

I used to have 300+ fps when solo play, then I cap it at 60. But sometimes my fps can drop to 40~50 in multi-player games still.

13 hours ago, aerosoul1337 said:

Should have tested in multi-player games.

It has huge difference not because of the amount of the enemies.

I used to have 300+ fps when solo play, then I cap it at 60. But sometimes my fps can drop to 40~50 in multi-player games still.

it is multiplayer 4ppl 

Hello Guys

Ive been reading the post and found interesting that so much people had the same problems as i had with way more powerful PC rigs. So i decided to make a test.

First ill give you my system specs:

Cpu: Phenom II x4 960t

Ram: 2 Kingston DDR3 HyperX Red 4 gigs each  (8 ram total)

Video: Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770

Hard drive: WDC Wd 50 500 gigs (quite old, posibly my bottleneck)

In my situation my average fps is 50-70 when solo and 40-60 when multi, but a few weeks ago i started to have stuttering and my fps going to as low as 20-25 when there is too much action on the screen... AND when there is no action but is an open area.

Be advised that i did all this tests on parties of 4 people, basically void fissure missions. (Here is where i have the most fps cutoff)

I started with changing back the game to 32 bits and unselecting Multi Thread and Gpu acceleration. No change

Then as Dmitri said, i verified/optimized the Download Cache. No change.

Selected all options on the launcher settings. No Change

Entered the game, i normally used mid setting on graphics and i tried to select everything to low, disactivate the rest. Basically full low settings... no change.

Then i had the crazy idea of doing the opposite. Full graphics, all checked, video card/cpu burning settings. Results?... -5 FPS average... Still on 25-30 on huge battle/open areas AND 30-50 average. Still 50-70 fps on Solo though.  WTF!!

Lastly i tried the New index arena missions. A high risk one with 4 players. Turned off bloom, glare, ambient occlusion, depth of field, dynamic lighting, loweres anisotropic to 8x, no trilinear filtering and antialiasing set to low. Result? 60-70 fps average. Weird..

So basically i found the void tears and nullifier shields the most fps taxing sometimes in conjuction with what i mentioned before. Also anybody using a Mirage with hall of mirrors and Synoid simulor shreds your fps to 30 and below instantly (but thats another story)

Also, i took note of my cpu mem usage and it was pretty normal.. 50/70% on cpu and 49/60 ram depending on where i was.

So here is my report. Hope it helps something, should i send it with a ticket? Also found that Google Chrome EATS your PC performance when opened and playing warframe or any game in general. Dunno for the other browsers.

Cheeers :satisfied:

Edited by ZeaLocKe

1 hour ago, ZeaLocKe said:

First ill give you my system specs:

Cpu: Phenom II x4 960t

Ram: 2 Kingston DDR3 HyperX Red 4 gigs each  (8 ram total)

Video: Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770

Hard drive: WDC Wd 50 500 gigs (quite old, posibly my bottleneck)

I suspect your CPU is the bottleneck since Warframe tends to be more CPU heavy than most games.

Then i had the crazy idea of doing the opposite. Full graphics, all checked, video card/cpu burning settings. Results?... -5 FPS average... Still on 25-30 on huge battle/open areas AND 30-50 average. Still 50-70 fps on Solo though.  WTF!!

This does show that your CPU is the bottleneck.

Also found that Google Chrome EATS your PC performance when opened and playing warframe or any game in general. Dunno for the other browsers.

I'm not sure this will help but i notice this issue as well. The way i fixed it was to disable hardware acceleration in chrome. (Chrome -> settings -> show advanced settings -> System -> Use hardware acceleration when available). This might not help since it will put more load on your CPU.

7 hours ago, ZeaLocKe said:

Hello Guys

Ive been reading the post and found interesting that so much people had the same problems as i had with way more powerful PC rigs. So i decided to make a test.

-Snip-

First of all your CPU is AMD and not that fast to begin with it is a lower IPC then most intels and well we all know how that boat goes.

your Gpu is also not one of the newest and If I know right AMD lately dropped driver support for that series.

Pubs give for everyone S#&$ty performance and this is perhaps due to Too taxing Netcode and or more enemies in general.

Nullifiers take up a lot of space and are by this a early offender, they also have a range on the bubble so that also has a AOE effect that is moving and that has to be checked every second.

Void fissures are broken in my opinion now they spawn trough the whole mission but if not killed they stay and linger around resulting in more NPC's in the tilesets taxing everyones PC more and more.
Void fissure effects in general are weird and not really well optimized in general.

I hope that DE will make the Dedicated server host the in game missions to leverage more power to those servers that everyone with a decent spare machine can run and host.

Instead now they use the servers mostly for PVP that is now even more broken as F*** -_-.

Chao, The Roaring Lion