The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Disappointing final boss

TinoG100

I  did something similiar with bosses way back when, but i wanna do something like that again. In your opinion, what is the most disappointing final boss you've faced and why? (DISCLAIMER: You have to actually fight the boss, can't be a single button or a QTE-sequence, so no Lucien from Fable 2 or Rais or Sauron from Dying Light and Shadow of Mordor, respectively) 

To me, the most disappointing one was... I would have to say Alduin from Skyrim. He has been told about the entire game as this World Eater, and when you finally go into Sovngarde to face him... he's kinda easy and disappointing. That, or the Destroyer from Borderlands. To put it simply, it just kinda sits there and just eats your bullets. Not very good boss design. Anyway, put your bosses in le comments ^^

The Dragon thingy from Dark Void, because I had no idea what that thing was, I just had to fly around shooting at it with no idea what I was doing.

Btw, there are some lore threads that propose that Alduin was a disappointing battle because he "nerfed" himself by hijacking his place in the cosmos. He is supposed to be the personification of the end of time, the one who ends the Kalpa for another to come up (a Kalpa is a real world expression which roughly means a cycle of existence). He wasn't supposed to gather an army of dragons and become ruler of all, and that supposedly damaged him.

But, of course, this is a meaningless excuse, as the real problem with Alduin is a fault of design. If you build up your main antagonist to be the ultimate bringer of the apocalypse, any fight is going to be underwhelming. No boss design can live up to that expectation. They should have chosen a different antagonist. The lore of Skyrim (the province, not the game. That is to say, the lore about it that existed even before the release of TES: V) is plentiful enough that multiple different bosses could have been chosen.

Can't imagine any, really.

The final boss as if the final of finals? Probably any of Call of Duty endings from 6th. Basically "press F to kill the bad guy".

I mean... Dying Light did it too, but QtE there was actually hard to execute (i died like 3-4 times) and it felt apropriate after i fought my way through a goddamn buildings filled with all kinds of zombies.

I don't know... Does it count as a bad boss fight if the boss is not the bad guy itself but getting to him instead?

3 hours ago, Artek94 said:

Can't imagine any, really.

The final boss as if the final of finals? Probably any of Call of Duty endings from 6th. Basically "press F to kill the bad guy".

I think i said that those kinds of "bosses" don't count

The crowning achievement of FAILURE as a "final boss" is Colonel Augustus Autumn from Fallout 3. 
Fallout 1 had the Master. A mesh of flesh and robotics who is difficult to fight, but you can point out the flaws in his plan. He is memorable as all hell for his character and personality.

Fallout 2 had Frank Horrigan.

Yeah, enough said on him.

Fallout 3?
Some dinky guy who shows up towards the end of the game, and doesn't do much. Then he shows up again at the end of the game and you can either shoot him down with your extremely powerful weaponry or talk him out of it. If you pick the former, congratulations you just eviscerated an unarmored guy. In fact, he has two highly dangerous body guards that pose more of a threat than the main antagonist of the game.

If you talk him out of fighting you, he just leaves. 
Yeah that's it. The Master will end his own life because everything he's done has proved to be meaningless. Frank Horrigan can't be negotiated with (but tbf he is pretty much a hulking mass of destruction so there really isn't much talking to be done) but Augustus just leaves the room.

GG Bethesda.

2 hours ago, TinoG100 said:

I think i said that those kinds of "bosses" don't count

Ah, alight then.
Then i can happily say that i didn't had any. All final bosses in my life always been challenging and badass.
Actually on second thought... (HEAVY DEAD SPACE 3 SPOILERS AHEAD)

Spoiler

...i would actually vote for Dead Space 3. The final boss was epic in it's own way but the confrontation was such a cope-out. They could've done it much better. I mean come on: 2 dudes (or 1 for that matter when solo) can't kill a giant &#! planet-like monster by throwing some pointy rocks at it. Were his eyes bubbles or something? I loved the series and loved the game for what it was but i can't deny that cliche' as sh*t plot combined with few half-baked ideas made Dead Space 3 probably the worst in the series, while 2nd one was the best.
It honestly felt like Dead Space 3 was a v0.85 of a game. It was this close to being decent, but they just couldn't be bothered...

Those three guardian things in Destiny at the end of the main story the feeling you get at the end isn't even satisfying and they're easy to kill, they're just bigger Minotaurs. Then again the bosses besides Raid Bosses are not that great anyway.

The SKULL units aren't great as well in MGS V, they are scary at first but they're not really MGS boss battle great.

Edited by (PS4)TheCrimsonTuckr
Said "anyway" too much.

Dark Queen from Sonic and the black knight

yes i know it's a bad sonic game but to be honest King Arthur was much harder for me than the final boss and king Arthur is the boss that marks the halfway point of the game HA HA XD but it's so easy you can speedrun it in 30 seconds or less theoretically speaking since this game was on the original wii you can do this without pressing buttons or press at the most 2 buttons and you can still get this done in about 35-60 seconds either way it's one of the shortest final bosses i faced Except nef anyo....

Edited by (XB1)falconpwnch0234

20 hours ago, (PS4)watt4hem said:

Dishonered. He just, died. If you go stealthy he has no defense what so ever, if you confront him face to face he still can't do S#&$

I don't think he was ever supposed to be a "boss". At least not in the traditional sense of a final boss. The final mission wasn't supposed to present an epic and challenging battle, it was just supposed to summarize and reflect the consequences of your actions throughout the rest of the game. I think it's more fitting to see Daud and Granny Rags as final bosses and the last two missions as epilogues.

Crysis 2. Four stronger than average different colored Ceph.

On 8/27/2016 at 11:16 AM, RetiredEdgeLord said:

MGSV: Skull Face

The boss fight was just a few mouse clicks [pc].

I wouldn't really even consider that fight, that was more just a bonus after the actual final boss.

4 hours ago, fishworshipper said:

Last I remembered, Halo doesn't HAVE any boss fights.

Tartarus, Guilty Spark, Didact.

1 minute ago, (XB1)A Frikn Grizzly said:

Crysis 2. Four stronger than average different colored Ceph.

I wouldn't really even consider that fight, that was more just a bonus after the actual final boss.

Tartarus, Guilty Spark, Didact.

Hum. I never really thought of those as boss fights. 

1 minute ago, fishworshipper said:

Hum. I never really thought of those as boss fights. 

I wouldn't really call Spark or Didact fights though. You blast Spark with a laser a few times during a fight that lasts 12 and half seconds and is near impossible to lose even on Legendary. Didact you just push a few buttons and he's down. Tartarus on the other hand, actually is a boss fight. High health, bouts of invincibility, goons backing him up.

3 hours ago, Gorila_Azul said:

I don't think he was ever supposed to be a "boss". At least not in the traditional sense of a final boss. The final mission wasn't supposed to present an epic and challenging battle, it was just supposed to summarize and reflect the consequences of your actions throughout the rest of the game. I think it's more fitting to see Daud and Granny Rags as final bosses and the last two missions as epilogues.

True, i guess underwhelming is a more suited way to put it.