The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion: Internal Player Market

WindsOfBoreas

First I'd love to say how much I love the effort and design the people at Warframe.market have done. It's a great site. However, I can't help feeling like they shouldn't have had to create the site in the first place. With any game that allows trading between players, a player-driven "market" is an inevitability. It's simply natural to do so. Fortunately, some developers anticipate this when creating their game and put into a place an efficient system to facilitate routine player-to-player market trades. Sadly, this game lacks any such system.

To look at decent examples of such systems I would like to showcase the Black Lion Trading Company from Guild Wars and the Bazaar from Star Wars Galaxies. Both are places where a player can post the item to be auctioned or be bought for a flat price and, especially to new players, were absolute boons to gearing up. In SWG, a player would go interact with a Bazaar terminal and could list an item to be sold with a max of 20 active items at any given time. Once listed, the item was taken from the player's inventory and put into the Bazaar inventory. The player could choose a nice flat price from 0 to 20,000 credits or choose to auction the item over a period of many days (the number of which eludes me at the moment but could be quite high). Any potential buyer could simply interact with any other terminal and buy or bid on the item. The players never had to contact each other, never had to meet up somewhere, never had to wait until one was done with whatever they were doing. No instances, no haggling, no hassle. Direct player-to-player trades were still possible.

Guild War's Black Lion Trading Company takes this a step further by allowing users to create buy orders. A player could put in an order to buy a particular item at a particular price and the seller could choose which order to fulfill. Again, no other interaction necessary. Didn't have to wait for someone else to be online or ask if they still had the item in question.

This game can greatly benefit from such a system. Personally, I would make it accessible from the ship's computer but it could also be moved to the relays or Maroo's Bazaar. Allow a player to go to the market, list an item for platinum or credits or a combination, transfer the item to the bazaar inventory, and let them be on their way. Later they may get a notification that their item sold and they should go pick up their currency. Let buyers search for specific sellers or sort by price.

Its better to leave things like an auction house/market to the external site, lots of bad things can come out of them, such as bad economy, botters, general abuse.

Also put on the flame retardant suit, you'll need it (People here hate auction house/market threads)

12 minutes ago, Nopy117 said:

Its better to leave things like an auction house/market to the external site, lots of bad things can come out of them, such as bad economy, botters, general abuse.

Also put on the flame retardant suit, you'll need it (People here hate auction house/market threads)

The limitation on the amount of items you can list would help with possible abuse. As for being flame retardant, I expect no less from this community. I also frequent The Division reddit, so I'm a bit accustomed to being surrounded by flaming piles of salt.