Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Razorwing flight model should be new but not 6dof

Kinetos

Every time I've heard the question asked whether Razorwing and Sharkwing should use the new Archwing flight model, the entire conversation has revolved around the 6 degrees of freedom issue. I want to bring up other differences between the flight models. 

While I can agree that the new FM may have too much drift in some players' eyes, which is easy to adjust if DE wanted to I'm sure, the consistency of when drift is applied is a huge improvement over the old version currently used by Razorwing. The old FM is inconsistent. If all you do is hold w and use the mouse to steer, there's no drift, but if you use a or d, you start drifting. The new FM applies drifting all the time. The old FM feels fake and jarring after getting used to the more consistent new FM in Archwing. 

For this reason, ignoring 6DOF for the moment, I want the new FM to apply to Razorwing and Sharkwing as well as Archwing. 

Now about 6DOF...  I really like it. On Grineer maps.

Corpus maps, ground maps, water maps all have real or practical up and down, so I wouldn't like it there. But why not make 6DOF control independent of the new flight model, make it a toggled option with a keybinding? 

I actually feel the opposite.  I personally dislike the new archwing model, not just for the 6DOF, but also for how drifty it is to control.  The old archwing model was very tight and was easy to move at high speed without sacrificing control.  The new model is more realistic, but Warframe isn't a game about realism, it's a game about being fast and awesome and powerful, and I don't get that feeling when I try to turn a corner and my momentum pulls me straight into a wall.

Just now, Echowing said:

I actually feel the opposite.  I personally dislike the new archwing model, not just for the 6DOF, but also for how drifty it is to control.  The old archwing model was very tight and was easy to move at high speed without sacrificing control.  The new model is more realistic, but Warframe isn't a game about realism, it's a game about being fast and awesome and powerful, and I don't get that feeling when I try to turn a corner and my momentum pulls me straight into a wall.

As I mentioned some people may feel the drift is too much. 

I'd compare it like... 

Old system: sometimes 0 drift, sometimes 10 drift. 

New system: always 11 drift. 

My Preferred system: always 3 drift. 

1 minute ago, POSIX said:

Please don't call it "6DOF", otherwise we'll end up forgetting roll control is missing. It's 5DOF, at best.

Roll is there, it's just hidden and awkward. Separate issue. Off topic. 

Edited by KinetosImpetus