Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe freezes, causes a forced shut down with no crash report

StickMaster1cV

This has occurred since June for myself. Once I load up Warframe and start playing all is fine. I'm running a constant 60 fps and everything is normal. However after a set amount of time (about a minute or so) the game begins to studder a bit until it leads to warframe freezing completely. Alt tabbing does not work, control alt delete doesn't work and I'm then forced to shutdown my computer. No crash report, nothing. I thought it was a steam version problem so I downloaded the game again from the website. For about 2 days the problem didn't occur and it was running fine, until yesterday when the same thing happened again. I love this game but this problem has me at my wits end. If anyone has any idea on how to solve this problem please anything will help. The solutions I've tried: updating graphics card, uninstalled and reinstalled the game, run in compatibility mode, run as administrator, turning off both directx 11&10, putting the game on its lowest graphical settings

computer: Asus ROG

graphics card: nvidia GEFORCE GTX970m

intel core i7

1tb hard drive 

10 minutes ago, StickMaster1cV said:

computer: Asus ROG

graphics card: nvidia GEFORCE GTX970m

intel core i7

1tb hard drive 

Can you please try verifying / optimizing your download cache? This can be found in the Warframe Launcher's settings menu.

0DqGyS6.png

Thanks.

4 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Can you please try verifying / optimizing your download cache? This can be found in the Warframe Launcher's settings menu.

So I've just tried this and something strange happened. Now besides a complete freeze, the game not shudders horribly to the point of it being unplayable. Sometimes the audio freezes as well but after a few seconds comes back to normal. The game goes back to normal periodically but then suffers from the same problems again.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a similar problem for 2 years, My graphics driver would randomly crash while playing, sometimes it would recover, other times it required a full pc shutdown. After so many tried solutions, over a year of new graphics driver updates...I finally found a solution that 100% works for me (also works in other games that get crash issues). The problem with warframe from what i can tell is it @(*()$ hates overclocked cards, even factory overclocked.

So the solution is to:

1. Download MSI afterburner.

2. On the MSI Afterburner main page, set the core clock(MHz) slider to -100 instead of 0. This will reduce your core clock by 100MHz. The performance hit is negligible like 3fps if anything.

3.Optional: Set 2 profiles on MSI Afterburner main page, so you can easily switch between regular core clock and -100 core clock when playing warframe.

4. Enjoy your game crash free.

1 hour ago, CptPiggly said:

Can anyone else confirm this works?

If down clocking your GPU or related memory fixes Warframe crashes, your overclock isn't stable enough with this specific game. In the case of a stock card that stops crashing when down clocking, you basically have a hardware failure. In this instance, within the warranty period, you have the right to RMA your card, including one that crashes with a factory overclock.

For reference, I've run this game without issue on multiple properly overclocked CPUs and GPUs...just take into account that when you start tinkering with the hardware yourself, stability might not always be as stable as you may think it is. Additional tweaks may be necessary depending on your practical usage. Also, as hardware ages, you may have to change settings later on again. 

23 hours ago, CptPiggly said:

Can anyone else confirm this works?

I will say that underclocking my previous videocard(gtx 770) from factory settings to reference (-64mhz) did stop warframe from crashing as well as a few other games.

Before trying to reduce you graphics cards clock speed i would suggest trying to disable tessellation and physx first since those settings seem to be the most unstable setting in my experience with warframe.

So if that doesn't help, and you are going to try reducing clockspeed i will suggest to reducing to reference speeds before going lower.