Clan emblem maker?

Question

Well, I have been reading a lot of clan emblem information. I am in the market for a clan emblem. I just started a clan in warframe, and we only have 4 members ATM. I have been playing for a long time, been in a few great clans, and thought it was about time I moved on up and started my own. I built the dojo to a full max built dojo, everything is fully researched and am currently decorating. But something I really want to do before a hotfix or update is get my clan emblem up and ready for certification. Now I have some basic art skills, but I don't have much experience with computer graphics. I am teaching myself to learn how to use paint and Adobe Photoshop essentials 10 and am experimenting  with the emblem. I know exactly what I want as I have done the emblem many times on other websites as well as real patches for sports games. The problem is that this would be the first time, since Gunz the duel that I have to make it from scratch and upload to PC. Every other game I built it had a clan emblem creator. There are tons of things that can go wrong with the initial upload and I might have to try more than a few times to get it exactly how I want. I would like to avoide this and spending the wasteful plat on reuploading a new emblem. So I thought that while I create one in case no one messages me, to search for someone who has free time, and some sort of art skills. If you have done this before please let me see your past projects. I don't have the ability to pay with actual currency ATM since I am between jobs, but I don't mind spending 100-200pl for a nice emblem that everyone will see. I know that this may fall under short ears but I thought it was worth a shot. Thank you again for reading this.  

Shadow✝Cross

Founder Erick

Take care of yourself fellow Tenno.

20 answers to this question

There are plenty of people out there that will be more than willing to create a emblem for you, but if you're wanting to make one yourself then do it :).  If you make one and you want feedback just post it here and people will give their input based upon the picture provided.  

If you're wanting to do this yourself:

What you should probably do is use a iPad or other tablet with a pen and get a cheaper drawing program that gives you the ability to use multiple layers (plenty out there, but read the reviews).

If you've got the time and motivation then it's definitely worth trying to do it yourself.

I would recommend using a vector drawing program for making emblems.  There are a few good free ones, like Inkscape or maybe DrawPlus.  I use Inkscape mostly, and Photoshop just for finishing effects.

14 hours ago, TheLoneNinja said:

And here I am, still wondering how to even change my clan emblem.

go to the main website and login, once you do go to the tab where it's got your username and go to the "Clan Settings" page.  I can't upload a image right now because I do not have enough plat, but it's all there:

"Clan Emblem Change Cost = 150 Platinum

Warlord, please carefully read the following instructions before uploading your Clan Emblem:

1. Clan Emblem must be a 128x128 .PNG file. No exceptions.

2. The fee for uploading Clan Emblem is 150 Platinum.

3. We review all submissions. If we approve your image, you will see your Clan Emblem implemented in the nearest hotfix or update. If we reject it, we explain to you in an email why your image was rejected. Your Platinum will not be refunded.

We will reject at our own discretion. Do not upload offensive and inappropriate images. Do not take the risk and upload questionable images.

You will get a chance to preview the image before it gets submitted with your platinum

Ready to submit?

You need more platinum to use this feature."

14 hours ago, (XB1)ERICK001BC said:

Well, I have been reading a lot of clan emblem information. I am in the market for a clan emblem. I just started a clan in warframe, and we only have 4 members ATM. I have been playing for a long time, been in a few great clans, and thought it was about time I moved on up and started my own. I built the dojo to a full max built dojo, everything is fully researched and am currently decorating. But something I really want to do before a hotfix or update is get my clan emblem up and ready for certification. Now I have some basic art skills, but I don't have much experience with computer graphics. I am teaching myself to learn how to use paint and Adobe Photoshop essentials 10 and am experimenting  with the emblem. I know exactly what I want as I have done the emblem many times on other websites as well as real patches for sports games. The problem is that this would be the first time, since Gunz the duel that I have to make it from scratch and upload to PC. Every other game I built it had a clan emblem creator. There are tons of things that can go wrong with the initial upload and I might have to try more than a few times to get it exactly how I want. I would like to avoide this and spending the wasteful plat on reuploading a new emblem. So I thought that while I create one in case no one messages me, to search for someone who has free time, and some sort of art skills. If you have done this before please let me see your past projects. I don't have the ability to pay with actual currency ATM since I am between jobs, but I don't mind spending 100-200pl for a nice emblem that everyone will see. I know that this may fall under short ears but I thought it was worth a shot. Thank you again for reading this.  

Shadow✝Cross

Founder Erick

Take care of yourself fellow Tenno.

I should have clarified earlier to the OP, but I was running low on time and we've got a storm in currently so I did not want to lose anything.  As @Buff00n says, there are plenty of good drawings programs out there.  I still stand by having one that gives you the ability to use a few different layers to work with just to help separate different things.  I use autodesk sketchbook pro 7 before they went to subscription, but there are more great drawing programs out there.  However, after looking at the list of things available (in the Windows Store and Apple Store) and comparing them to inkscape I'd probably go with Inkscape because of the features it does give you for free!  Windows and Apple you'd be spending anything from $2-$20. 

3 hours ago, Btabc said:

go to the main website and login, once you do go to the tab where it's got your username and go to the "Clan Settings" page.  I can't upload a image right now because I do not have enough plat, but it's all there:

"Clan Emblem Change Cost = 150 Platinum

Warlord, please carefully read the following instructions before uploading your Clan Emblem:

1. Clan Emblem must be a 128x128 .PNG file. No exceptions.

2. The fee for uploading Clan Emblem is 150 Platinum.

3. We review all submissions. If we approve your image, you will see your Clan Emblem implemented in the nearest hotfix or update. If we reject it, we explain to you in an email why your image was rejected. Your Platinum will not be refunded.

We will reject at our own discretion. Do not upload offensive and inappropriate images. Do not take the risk and upload questionable images.

You will get a chance to preview the image before it gets submitted with your platinum

Ready to submit?

You need more platinum to use this feature."

Thank you.  That explains it!

23 hours ago, Buff00n said:

If you've got the time and motivation then it's definitely worth trying to do it yourself.

I would recommend using a vector drawing program for making emblems.  There are a few good free ones, like Inkscape or maybe DrawPlus.  I use Inkscape mostly, and Photoshop just for finishing effects.

I'll have to give it a try. I searched for the iOS version but it wasn't free. I started watching tutorials on how to layer pictures and then merge them in Photoshop essentials 10. I just need to learn how to maybe cut and paste from my older pictures to save some time. They just announced the new update arriving in mid September and I would like to get it done by then.

My biggest fear is that I won't meet the deadline as I am currently going in and out of interviews. 

My second one being that, I never really put that much detail on my clan emblems before. Not to say my old ones where not great for the in game program I used, but with the freedom of it being PC and user made vi your own choosing, I feel anything I make might be a crood draft. Yet I'll keep playing and learning yo use the new software so I can add to it or give it a makeover down the line.

For these two reasons, I was hoping someone with some knowledge might want to take the job, but I haven't been pm or anything. The emblem is simple so here is hoping I can get it done before the deadline. I read some post on all the specs I need while working on it, but only time will tell.

But, I'll post my Clan emblem that I created and sent to a patch maker so you guys can see what I am trying to make. P.S. Adobe doesn't have any of these clip arts, and I am still not sure if I can create a image from transparent ping pictures and just do layer by layer.

2 minutes ago, (XB1)ERICK001BC said:

I searched for the iOS version but it wasn't free.

Try installing it on your PC?

3 minutes ago, (XB1)ERICK001BC said:

The emblem is simple so here is hoping I can get it done before the deadline.

If you already have a clear idea what you want it to look like then I can probably help you out.

8 hours ago, Buff00n said:

Try installing it on your PC?

If you already have a clear idea what you want it to look like then I can probably help you out.

I don't own a PC anymore, I am using my sisters so... I don't want to just install programs on it, but she should be cool with it. 

Well ll that would be cool. But I want to show you guys what emblems I have used in the past.

the one with the skulls St. the bottom was my Old 2000s ish Gunz the duel emblem. 

The white one with the scythe and katana was my gta online one

And the patch is the one that I am currently trying to make. Again, no background just the cross, the crosshair and the wings. The blue one is the rough draft I sent a patch maker.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.png

image.jpg

how to print screen on pc

i am in love with how it came out, would love to see a remix of it on warframe. Any criticism is welcome, btw.

p.s. I was trying to update the cross on photobucket. I wanted to make the cross look a little bit more cooler like I did while searching for crosses on google for ideas. I'll post those soon.

Edited by (XB1)ERICK001BC
10 hours ago, (XB1)ERICK001BC said:

The emblem is simple

1 hour ago, (XB1)ERICK001BC said:

image.jpg

Snark aside, when you go down to 128x128 and look at it in-game you lose a lot of fine detail.  I'll see if I can quickly bang something out, but it's not going to be nearly that elaborate.

Your combination cross + cross hair is basically a Celtic Cross.  

11 hours ago, Buff00n said:

Snark aside, when you go down to 128x128 and look at it in-game you lose a lot of fine detail.  I'll see if I can quickly bang something out, but it's not going to be nearly that elaborate.

Your combination cross + cross hair is basically a Celtic Cross.  

Yeah the emblem is simple.

That picture was posted with the second set of pictures I found on Google while searching for crosses. I never said I made it or that I wanted it to be that complex. I just said I wanted to try and draw the cross similar to one of those 3 instead of my basic cross on my patch. I already read that the more detail a emblem has when it is configured to the basic size that warframe wants it might come out either pixelated or distorted. That's one of the reasons why I want to work on the emblem first so I can then see if I can add a small section at the bottom with the clan name or something of that sort.

When I first created my very first emblem for Gunz the Duel, I used 3 emblems in the total of my life spam. One was a basic cross casting a shadow, the second was a Celtic cross casting a shadow, and the 3rd was that first image in the first 4 uploaded. I was young and never knew that the name for that cross was a Celtic cross. Though with time I understood what the lore and usage of the Celtic cross was. But I wanted to be something different than a Celtic cross which is why I added the cross hairs to make it seem like something original. To be honest, that was started when I brought my clan over to games like counter strike, cod, battlefield, and other shooters. The cross hair always makes a X on the cross which is important because some games do not allow the + emblem to be used and I have to use Shadow X Cross instead to register the clan. 

The center of the cross I try and leave blank. There is something I use in the center, but I stopped using it because it is a ranking I put on the best players, as well as the top of the cross. But since I wanted the emblem to be the same for everyone of my members I stayed with the cross, the red X crosshairs behind the cross, and the wings behind that. 

As for the picture. Thank you for taking the time off your day to work on it. I am going to keep trying to see if I can get it as close as possible to the patch but just change the cross. Do you know if Adobe has a crop tool that lets me just extract everything I want and avoid getting the background? Because I searched YouTube, but haven't found any tutorials on it.

Thank you again Fellow Tenno.

21 minutes ago, (XB1)ERICK001BC said:

As for the picture. Thank you for taking the time off your day to work on it. I am going to keep trying to see if I can get it as close as possible to the patch but just change the cross. Do you know if Adobe has a crop tool that lets me just extract everything I want and avoid getting the background? Because I searched YouTube, but haven't found any tutorials on it.

To start with you'll need a much cleaner, in focus picture of the patch in direct light.  Even then, you're going to have trouble finding a clean separation between the stitches and the background.  You can try the Quick Selection or Magic Wand tools, but you're going to end up painstakingly correcting the selection pixel by pixel to get a halfway decent result.  You could try using the Cutout filter to make it less noisy, or some combination of level, brightness, and contrast layers to make the background easier to separate.  The chief problem is those crosshairs, which are very hard to distinguish.

Personally, I would just trace it in Inkscape to make a nice clean vector version, then work with that to fancy it up.  This is actually much easier than what I did before:

TZYSpuM.png

5 hours ago, Buff00n said:

To start with you'll need a much cleaner, in focus picture of the patch in direct light.  Even then, you're going to have trouble finding a clean separation between the stitches and the background.  You can try the Quick Selection or Magic Wand tools, but you're going to end up painstakingly correcting the selection pixel by pixel to get a halfway decent result.  You could try using the Cutout filter to make it less noisy, or some combination of level, brightness, and contrast layers to make the background easier to separate.  The chief problem is those crosshairs, which are very hard to distinguish.

Personally, I would just trace it in Inkscape to make a nice clean vector version, then work with that to fancy it up.  This is actually much easier than what I did before:

TZYSpuM.png

Before anything, wow! That looks amazing. It looks almost 100% identical to my patch emblem. For me to make something like that it will take me a few weeks still.

Yes I noticed that. The crop tool is different then paints crop tool, but even if I just crop based on color density it still shows up really jagged. I might have to trace it like you said. But for it to come out half as good as yours might take me some time lol.

Now two things. The first being, if with your permission, I was allowed to use the emblem you made for me, is it just the emblem or would it come with a white background? For the most part I been trying to follow ...

... with the lighting and the bloom and the "standards" so it wouldn't come out bad, but I had to scrap them because I don't have any vector software that can let me make it symmetrical and even. I seen A video on YouTube by a nooblet make a N with vectors to make it even and smooth, but that's out of my league.

Though would the image being uploaded be just what's in the emblem? Or would it be the white background as well? I keep making my files png with transparentcy so I get just the emblem with no background, but in the previews it shows up really bright and ugly, again it was just with practice emblems. So I know what colors to avoide.

Second how would I be able to repay you if I did use the emblem? Because in all honesty I love how nice it is. Looks so much like my patch and that just adds to the coolness factor. Thank you again.

29 minutes ago, (XB1)ERICK001BC said:

Now two things. The first being, if with your permission, I was allowed to use the emblem you made for me, is it just the emblem or would it come with a white background? For the most part I been trying to follow ...

That PNG is ready to go; I even pre-dimmed it so it won't look like a flashlight on you shoulder.  I read all the horror stories and guidelines about clan emblems before making my own, and that turned out pretty good.

That being said, yours is still pretty rough.  Give me a day or so to make it nice.

29 minutes ago, (XB1)ERICK001BC said:

Second how would I be able to repay you if I did use the emblem? Because in all honesty I love how nice it is. Looks so much like my patch and that just adds to the coolness factor. Thank you again.

Meh, I just want a screenshot of it.  I do this for kicks and to keep the skills up.

2 hours ago, Buff00n said:

That PNG is ready to go; I even pre-dimmed it so it won't look like a flashlight on you shoulder.  I read all the horror stories and guidelines about clan emblems before making my own, and that turned out pretty good.

That being said, yours is still pretty rough.  Give me a day or so to make it nice.

Meh, I just want a screenshot of it.  I do this for kicks and to keep the skills up.

Okay no problem, I am in no rush. Right now I am just trying to learn so I'll be able to help myself and others in the future. It's good to know how to do this kind of stuff. Well I will definetly take a screen cap of it. But I think I may be able  to get you something aswell. I'll pm you later when I get it. It not much but it's just to say thanks. 

Btw, you have me really excited. I can't wait to see the final product!

5 hours ago, Buff00n said:

Cleaned it up and added a little shading.

rRR5MHy.png

If you want, I can give you a .zip with a high-res version and all my files so you can see how I did it.

Wow, I like the detail you put in it. It really shows, the texture alone makes it pop out!

Sure, that sounds like fun. I'll send you my email in a pm. What better than to learn from the master, hopefully I find ideas on how to improve my skills.

Again thank you so much, I can't wait to upload this and see it on my shoulder and all over my dojo! Screen shots comming!