Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Decrease the Sarpa's spread

AdmiralAvalanche

The Sarpa's spread is indeed a balancing factor for the weapon, to ensure that it doesn't arbitrarily and totally eclipse the Redeemer.  As it stands now they both have identical stats in most areas, with the Sarpa having slightly higher damage and attack speed.  The Redeemer has a tighter spread, this allows both weapons to be alike sidegrades to one another, rather than the Sarpa just being powercreep.

1 minute ago, Bobtm said:

The Sarpa's spread is indeed a balancing factor for the weapon, to ensure that it doesn't arbitrarily and totally eclipse the Redeemer.  As it stands now they both have identical stats in most areas, with the Sarpa having slightly higher damage and attack speed.  The Redeemer has a tighter spread, this allows both weapons to be alike sidegrades to one another, rather than the Sarpa just being powercreep.

Except the Sarpas spread is so atrocious it's barely usable as a gun beyond 10m. It can't even hold a candle to the Redeemer imo, let alone be a sidegrade to it.

19 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

Except the Sarpas spread is so atrocious it's barely usable as a gun beyond 10m. It can't even hold a candle to the Redeemer imo, let alone be a sidegrade to it.

So then, to pose the magic question here;  Were it up to you, what statistical parameter would you see sacrificed on the Sarpa to have its accuracy improved?

If the Sarpa's accuracy were reliable enough to hit foes at longer ranges then it would (assuming we wish to avoid needless powercreep) have to have a meaningful stat which is then lower than the Redeemer to balance it out.  Stats like crit chance/damage or status chance are already off the table unless the Redeemer gets buffed in one of these areas, because right now each is so low on both gunblades that they aren't meaningful stats to modify for this situation.

Basically it ends up with, make the Sarpa a chunk weaker than the Redeemer but retain its speed advantage.  Make the Sarpa a chunk slower than the Redeemer but retain its damage advantage.  Of course then having the Sarpa's accuracy changed as desired by some.  Personally speaking, I wouldn't mind having the Sarpa being a weaker/faster gunblade iteration.  I'm also find with its current statistics as well however.  Another more roundabout possibility would be to make adjustments to both gunblades' stats and grant one of them very solid crit stats, and the other having better base damage/speed and very high Status chance.  However, that would be a much larger and more complicated to balance swath of changes.

6 minutes ago, Bobtm said:

So then, to pose the magic question here;  Were it up to you, what statistical parameter would you see sacrificed on the Sarpa to have its accuracy improved?

Damage.

One gunblade is a Shotgun, the other is an Uzi.

One can't hit anything beyond 10m and has high damage. One is viable at mid range with less damage. Which set of properties should match which weapon? Because I don't see why the Uzi should act like a Shotgun and vice versa.

3 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Damage.

One gunblade is a Shotgun, the other is an Uzi.

One can't hit anything beyond 10m and has high damage. One is viable at mid range with less damage. Which set of properties should match which weapon? Because I don't see why the Uzi should act like a Shotgun and vice versa.

Neither gunblade is an Uzi, and they've never been anything resembling an Uzi.  Unless a lot of things were changed neither one could be an Uzi.  The minimum delay which occurs when you do a charged shot prevents chained rapid fire from being a thing.

Or in other words;  What?

Are you trying to say that you'd make a wider set of changes to the two gunblades, making the Redeemer have lowered accuracy and entirely modifying the Sarpa's charged shot so that it fires a rapid spray of gunfire instead of the current shotgun blast of pellets?  I'm not saying I'm opposed to such a concept, but it would be a fairly stark change away from what currently exists between them.

3 hours ago, Bobtm said:

Neither gunblade is an Uzi, and they've never been anything resembling an Uzi.  Unless a lot of things were changed neither one could be an Uzi.  The minimum delay which occurs when you do a charged shot prevents chained rapid fire from being a thing.

Or in other words;  What?

Are you trying to say that you'd make a wider set of changes to the two gunblades, making the Redeemer have lowered accuracy and entirely modifying the Sarpa's charged shot so that it fires a rapid spray of gunfire instead of the current shotgun blast of pellets?  I'm not saying I'm opposed to such a concept, but it would be a fairly stark change away from what currently exists between them.

Seriously?

I compared the Sarpa to an Uzi because it's a one handed pistol sized weapon that isn't semi auto, to my knowledge the most recognised weapon that matches that criteria is an Uzi. If you hadn't noticed the Sarpa fires in a burst, not like the Redeemer.

No, I'm not saying any of that. Again, really thought it was obvious. I want the Redeemer to behave like a shotgun (in which it's fine as it is tbh, high damage and mid/low range), and I'd prefer the Sarpa to be it's faster but slightly less damaging Gunblade cousin.

To clarify.

3 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

Damage.

One gunblade is a Shotgun (Redeemer), the other is an Uzi (Sarpa).

One can't hit anything beyond 10m and has high damage (Sarpa). One is viable at mid range with less damage (Redeemer). Which set of properties should match which weapon? Because I don't see why the Uzi should act like a Shotgun and vice versa. (Shotguns should be more effective at close range than SMG's)

2 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

To clarify.

>clipped the rest to save space<

Apologies for not understanding what you had implied, I suppose we just were looking at what was said in an entirely different light.  An uzi is an automatic firearm when referenced in gaming (I know in reality other types of uzi exist), so that's where my understanding of what you were saying went off the rails.  Since both the Sarpa and Redeemer currently fire a spray of pellets I view them (by gaming terminology) as being shotguns by nature.  That's just the outlook I've come to have over years of gaming trends and such.

Anyways I can totally agree with where you're coming from, and I'd be fine with the change you've suggested in their entirety.  And again, sorry about not grasping what you'd stated initially.

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2016 at 7:10 PM, Bobtm said:

Apologies for not understanding what you had implied, I suppose we just were looking at what was said in an entirely different light.  An uzi is an automatic firearm when referenced in gaming (I know in reality other types of uzi exist), so that's where my understanding of what you were saying went off the rails.  Since both the Sarpa and Redeemer currently fire a spray of pellets I view them (by gaming terminology) as being shotguns by nature.  That's just the outlook I've come to have over years of gaming trends and such.

Anyways I can totally agree with where you're coming from, and I'd be fine with the change you've suggested in their entirety.  And again, sorry about not grasping what you'd stated initially.

f621fedca9.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2Fcaklt_8oPayHA0XGvk

Lol, everyone knows Sarpa is Mac n Cheese.

Anyways, Sapra fires 3 separate bullets in a rapid succession. We call this type of firing, "burst" firing. Hence, it is a burst auto weapon.

The Reedemer fires one shot with multiple pellets. We call this "semiauto" with a shotgun spread.

My theory as to why the Sarpa is inaccurate would probably be a combo of the recoil and the movement it makes in the stance, since it fires a burst and will take even slightly longer to fire all of its bullets than the Redeemer would.