Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An idea for Nightmare rework

at35z

Hi there,

I was really sad when Nightmare missions disappeared from the map. I liked the additional challenge in favor of a special mod that gives two bonuses.

I didn't do them often, though, but there were times when I went back to these to collect some mods for fun, also in case a clanmate needs a specific one.

I really wish these were back. With some tweaks, however, these can be made even better.

-----------------------

My idea is to make Nightmare missions a lot more special, have them take place in a "virtual reality", similar to literal nightmares, where a lot of unpredictable stuff can happen.

FINDING THE NEW NIGHTMARES

• Give Nightmare missions their own nodes, (similar to Dark Sectors, isolated from regular missions) instead of generating a random node playable in this mode.
    • Maybe each mission gives a unique, different set of mods, so each one is played equally?
    • Maybe these can be absolute separate nodes, that are unlocked once every mission on the planet is complete?
    • OR
    • Keep it as they were, randomly generated, and make these Nightmares available inside of a mission, with a Rift hidden somewhere. Similar to Orokin Moon Spy missions or the old Void Fissure system. The players have to find a portal to this virtual dimension to enter the nightmare mode. If they don't want to, they simply skip it.

THE LOOKS OF THE NEW ROOMS

• Give them a special screen effect, maybe make everything a bit darker or more red.
  • The missions start with the warframes falling down, slowly standing up, shaking their head.
  • The Lotus is distorted, hardly audible.
    • Maybe these are guided by Ordis instead, but then again, much harder to understand the actual task?
  • Nightmares should take place in the same/similar looking tile set as Simularcum or Mastery Rank Tests do.
  • The screen may occasionally shake, causing parts of the floor to fall down, creating new obstacles.
  • New, random challenges are introduced with a screen flickering effect, similar to the Stalker's appearance.
  • Due to the harder challenges, the number of random mobs spawning in this mode is greatly reduced.

OBJECTIVES

• The missions always have at least 2 objectives, or just generally one, with a really high chance to have multiple ones, but not more than 3.
    • After completing the first task, the mission becomes a bit harder until the end.
  • The mod rewards are hidden somewhere, within the mission, similar to the old Raid missions.
    • The mods should have a room very similar to the really old Void Raid missions did, a large room with a sphere being in the center.
    • The artifact is surrounded by lethal lasers, the players have to use their parkour skills to get them.
      • Only one player is required to go through the obstacle course, similar to Derelict Vaults. 
  • Some new objective ideas, only for this mode:
    • Labyrinth:
      • The map is disabled, while being in the labyrinth room. This will make sprays and specters a lot more useful.
      • The mod is in the center of the puzzle, with a portal that brings the player to the next room, so the mission is not overly long by making the players go though everything again.
  • Other, existing, stackable objectives that can be fun in this mode:
    • Rescue, with forced stealth and disabled abilities. (similar to Mastery Rank 19 test)
    • Capture
    • Raid, with an obstacle course filled with lasers that instantly kill a player upon contact.
    • Exterminate
    • etc.

CHALLENGES

• General challenges that can be applied though the entire mission, not stacking:
    • Increased friction and gravity
    • Drastically reduced gravity
    • Mods are removed from every equipped gear
    • Disabled abilities
    • Shields only, no health (or 2 max)
    • etc.
  • Random challenges that can occur any time within the mission:
    • A random assassin appeares(Zanuka/Stalker/Grustrag Three/Lynx/Hyenas/Juggernaut, etc.)
    • Sudden floor destruction
    • Sudden path destruction
    • A door suddenly closes, the players have to find a key to open it
    • Enemy level suddenly increases (shown by a special effect on the affected enemies)
    • Map disables for a limited time
    • Further shield/health reduction for a limited time
    • Weaker abilities for a limited time
    • etc.

OTHER THEMATIC IDEAS

• A connection could be made with the Sentients/Orokin, giving the mode an entirely different theme than what I suggested.

the idea particularly seems great and interesting it would also make sense to have more that one reward too.
the nightmare mode could also be used in the orokin tileset since its not used much lately, or maybe a normal mission could then have a portal to the orokin tileset for a specific part just like in sabotage missions. the idea is really interesting

31 minutes ago, at35z said:

I really wish these were back.

Some interesting ideas, but Nightmare alerts still appear on the Starchart. They're just a little less obvious now. It used to be that the alert icon on the node was red, now the only indication is that the reward is a Nightmare mod.