Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Attempt at an Excalibur Helmet *feedback appreciated :)*

EpicBred

I pictured this Helmet in my head for quite a long time now, so when I recently discovered Sculptris, I gave it a try! I am completely new at 3D modelling and I have nearly no experience at it. That´s why I am asking you for tips and feedback now :) I plan on naming it "Arthus", because it looks like a crown and that name fits Excaliburs theme

6kPlXhI.png

3 minutes ago, Hemmo67 said:

whats ya talkingbout sonny?

thats clearly the helmet of lich king from Warcraft frozen throne :'l

Oh my bad i tought about this

sauron_by_geosis093-d7wljh6.png

but that may be my Lord of the ring fiber that kicked in ^.^  and also the fact that spikey crown helmet are kinda a concept almost every medeval theme used because its awesome.

Edited by trunks013

7 minutes ago, trunks013 said:

oh some lord of the ring inspiration.

Looks great i'm looking foward for the end result.

2 minutes ago, Hemmo67 said:

whats ya talkingbout sonny?

thats clearly the helmet of lich king from Warcraft frozen throne :'l

So either WB or Blizzard would take it down if it would ever be implemented into the game.

I am sorry OP, but this could cause some problems, it would be better to change your design.

The similarities are to huge to not cause problems.

11 minutes ago, trunks013 said:

oh some lord of the ring inspiration.

Looks great i'm looking foward for the end result.

You can never have enough spikes ;)

10 minutes ago, (XB1)chillichillman said:

Not bad, not bad.  This is an amazing rough sketch, now all you need are the details.

I'm thinking doing some orokin/tenno writing on the edges of the tips, and maybe givin this thing lights in the grooves of the tips.

I really like the idea with that tenno writing! thank you! And yes, I needs a LOT of details! I am still trying to figure out what I will do with the top of the head. Shouldn´t be completely bald like that :D

11 minutes ago, (PS4)Elctrcstel said:

this looks really awesome! Good job!

keep us updated once you add textures and detailing to it.

Thank you! It will probably take a long time until I am able to texture it, I dont know how that works at all. someone told me I have to do one really detailed model for the texture and one low poly version but I´ll google that later!

9 minutes ago, (XB1)LexaHex said:

I feel like the face would look more menacing if it was a bit more stretched down, mostly the chin.

otherwise it looks great

Do you mean I should strech the face plate down to the chin or pull the whole front further down?

3 minutes ago, EpicBred said:

I really like the idea with that tenno writing! thank you! And yes, I needs a LOT of details! I am still trying to figure out what I will do with the top of the head. Shouldn´t be completely bald like that :D

Well, think of a crown.  The very top would be a little plain, unless the wearer was the fonzzzz(Ayyyyyye!) but, if you really wanted to, you could extend the base of the spikes to travel back aways, and possibly add energy effects there.  

Edited by (XB1)chillichillman

8 minutes ago, (XB1)LexaHex said:

Probably stretching the face plate down would be better than the stretching the chin, so, yeah, just stretch the face plate down

Great! I'll do that right when I get to my PC!

9 minutes ago, (XB1)chillichillman said:

Well, think of a crown.  The very top would be a little plain, unless the wearer was the fonzzzz(Ayyyyyye!) but, if you really wanted to, you could extend the base of the spikes to travel back aways, and possibly add energy effects there.  

I thought of these spike extensions too, but when I tried it that didn't work out so well... BTW you really like your energy effects don't you? :D

11 minutes ago, Vakaryn said:

As a long time Excal player, I'd love to see this in-game. Just needs more detail and some adjustments to the top of his head and it would look pretty great.

Thank you :) I play Excalibur myself all the time! Unfortunately detailing the top of the head is my biggest problem atm

Just now, EpicBred said:

I thought of these spike extensions too, but when I tried it that didn't work out so well... BTW you really like your energy effects don't you? :D

Needs moar glowy bits!  Wear ALL THE LIGHTS!

(I like tron.  the visuals.  and try making low ridges, probably at 1/10 the height of the spikes. either that or just have the helmet slope away from the front spikes, giving it an angled flat-top.)

5 minutes ago, Shad0wWatcher said:

I'm digging this, im getting some Infinity Blade vibes from this helmet. From this guy v.

Infinity-Blade-III-2.png

This is where I actually got the inspiration from! The God Kings helmet already looks really futuristic and kinda like Titanias aurai helmet

1 hour ago, Novatico said:

Hold on, did you UV map it's basic mesh already before starting to go into high detail scultoing? It's going to be an awkward situation if you haven't .  _.

I just copied it before I subdivided the polycount. But what I thought was that I could just reduce the polycount when I am done with the detailed version, because I am still making changes (like pulling the face plate down and that) so it is a bit different to the old low detail one.

And now I will have to look up what a UV map is and if I can even do it with sculptris models and with my plan of reducing the finished high detail version

14 hours ago, EpicBred said:

I just copied it before I subdivided the polycount. But what I thought was that I could just reduce the polycount when I am done with the detailed version, because I am still making changes (like pulling the face plate down and that) so it is a bit different to the old low detail one.

And now I will have to look up what a UV map is and if I can even do it with sculptris models and with my plan of reducing the finished high detail version

You may be better off exporting this into Blender or other good software and build the mesh in there, UV and then texture.

Sculptris is not good at this since it uses a custom texture-map that looks jumbled in for example Photoshop. 

I like your design so far.