The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lens installation

Desperado14

Question

So I built a greater naramon lens yesterday, and going to install it today.  I am unsure which weapon or frame to install it on though, and also how to get the most focus with it.  Anyone have any good ideas?  I was thinking redeemer, nikana prime, or excalibur, all of which I use a lot.  Let me know your ideas.

13 answers to this question

You have 2 options:

1. Put it on a frame and you'll be guarantee 25% affinity to focus conversion. You are flexible in using any weapons and will still get focus.
  2. Put it on a weapon and you'll get 75% affinity to focus conversion BUT you are force to equipping ONLY that weapon and killing with it.

My suggestion: Put it on a frame. Less thinking. More flexibility. Lens on a weapon if you know what you are doing.

I would say put it on your favorite/most used frame first because you will always get focus from it. if on a weapon, you only get focus if the weapon was used.

after that try putting it on a weapon that will get a lot of use and do higher level spy missions to the best of your stealth capabilities. that stealth multiplier really does wonders.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)A_SimpleName said:

You have 2 options:

1. Put it on a frame and you'll be guarantee 25% affinity to focus conversion. You are flexible in using any weapons and will still get focus.
  2. Put it on a weapon and you'll get 75% affinity to focus conversion BUT you are force to equipping ONLY that weapon and killing with it.

My suggestion: Put it on a frame. Less thinking. More flexibility. Lens on a weapon if you know what you are doing.

There's one problem though: There is A LOT of conflicting information out there, namely, that the community cannot make up it's mind whenever it's a good idea to have a lense on both the frame AND the weapon. From my experience - if they haven't changed it - it works quite nicely to have a lens on both Warframe and Weapon and doing Stealth Kill Combos after you collected the Convergence pickup.

21 minutes ago, Kiyomaru-EN- said:

There's one problem though: There is A LOT of conflicting information out there, namely, that the community cannot make up it's mind whenever it's a good idea to have a lense on both the frame AND the weapon. From my experience - if they haven't changed it - it works quite nicely to have a lens on both Warframe and Weapon and doing Stealth Kill Combos after you collected the Convergence pickup.

Yes, the best option is to have lenses on all your gears (warframe, primary, secondary, and melee). This way, you are ensure to have 100% affinity to focus conversion. Since the OP only have 1 lens, it's probably best/easier (at the moment) for him to equip it on his warframe.

Example:

A) Lens on Warframe

• 25% focus all the time regardless of how the enemies dies
  • 100% focus when killing with Warframe's abilities

B) Lens on 1 weapon

• 75% 50% focus if killing with say weapon (25% 50% go to warframe)
  • 25% focus (if primary, secondary, and melee equipped) from shared affinity
    • 50% focus (if 2 weapon equipped) from shared affinity
    • 75% focus (if only that lens weapon equipped) from shared affinity

Thank you Deflinek for correction

Edited by (PS4)A_SimpleName
edit corrections

16 minutes ago, (PS4)A_SimpleName said:

You have 2 options:

This is not correct information. First of all normal lens converts 1.25% of affinity earned to focus, while greater lens converts 1.75%. On top of:

1. If you put the lens on frame and kill with frame power, you will get 100% of earned focus. If you kill with any weapon, you will get 50% of earned focus. If ally kills while in range you get 25% of earned focus.

2. If you put the lens on weapon and kill with that weapon you get 50% of earned focus (the other goes to the frame and is lost if you don't have lense there). If ally kills while in range you get 25% of earned focus. If you kill with frame power or any other weapon you don't get any focus on that weapon at all.

Still putting it on frame is the best option, but putting lenses on everything is even better, especially if you play in group. More info on conversion on wiki lens page

For general use I'd say put it on your favorite frame or most used weapon.

For farming put it on a frame you can make invisibility builds on e.g. Ash, Loki, etc, and run high level Exterminate missions keeping your stealth multiplier up and you'll be banking focus like it's no one's business.

20 hours ago, Kiyomaru-EN- said:

The only conflicting information is misinformation that comes from people that don't understand shared affinity.  Knowledge is power.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Focus

That page has a very good chart that shows the amount of focus for greater lens vs regular lens and source of the affinity (ie who / what killed it).  It only shows one weapon equipped but you can easily extend the concept to multiple weapon load outs.

21 hours ago, Desperado14 said:

So I built a greater naramon lens yesterday, and going to install it today.

OP, building greater lenses is a suckers game if you ask me.  Four regular lenses are both more flexible in you have four items with a lens and in total gain you more focus when playing the game in a non "I'm farming focus" way.  Obviously you can do things like equip only one weapon to make a greater be better, but who really wants to play that way?

8 minutes ago, (PS4)Agent_CHAR said:

The only conflicting information is misinformation that comes from people that don't understand shared affinity.  Knowledge is power.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Focus

That page has a very good chart that shows the amount of focus for greater lens vs regular lens and source of the affinity (ie who / what killed it).  It only shows one weapon equipped but you can easily extend the concept to multiple weapon load outs.

So... Am I correct in assuming that equipping Lenses on all Slots - Warframe, Primary, Secondary and Melee - would grant you more Focus in theory, since no EXP is lost by using your none-lensed weapon? Though I would guess, that the bonus would be very small or none existant due to the split affinity of each weapon... Which kinda makes me come back to the meta of having a lense on your warframe, and your weapon and having nothing equipped besides that.

12 minutes ago, Kiyomaru-EN- said:

So... Am I correct in assuming that equipping Lenses on all Slots - Warframe, Primary, Secondary and Melee - would grant you more Focus in theory, since no EXP is lost by using your none-lensed weapon? Though I would guess, that the bonus would be very small or none existant due to the split affinity of each weapon... Which kinda makes me come back to the meta of having a lense on your warframe, and your weapon and having nothing equipped besides that.

The question is do you want to "farm focus" or do you want to play the game and not really worry about it?  Neither is correct or strictly better than the other choice. 

I happen to fall into the camp of just wanting to play the game personally.  I want the flexibility of having lenses on 20 different frames and  45 different weapons across all five focus schools.  I also don't care one wit about capping out each day.  What ever I get in terms of focus is fine by me, but having everything I consider worthwhile in the trees unlocked and max ranked already gives me little incentive to seek out more focus points and allows this more passive approach.

So bottom line is I'm not telling you how you should use lenses or what to put them on.  Just understand how it all works and make the choice that works for you.