Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PC minimum spec advertsied

polarbear911

Hi there,

So, recently I had issues with hosting and/or joining raid runs without crashing all the time; LOR-norms, nm and JV (with more than 5 people in the sessions). This was when I had the 32bit windows 7 running. After countless submissions of tickets and passing all the tests set out from the support team, I've finally solved the problem by installing windows 10 (64 bit). My concern for how the game is advertised saying that the minimum spec should allow the game to run, but never said that you will have crash free experience running on the minimum spec is something that I think the publisher should revise from time to time. It is crucial for information to be as accurate as possible so that not only player's experience of the game is not deteriorated due to the fact that they can't play the game properly, but also it stops the flooding of support ticket submissions for the same issue that people are having. Over the course of trying to solve my issues, some of my 'regulars' (people whom I run raids with) just simply stopped inviting and stopped joining my session entirely, which resulted that I lost some 'friends' and 'opportunity'.

Anyway, I just think that if people reply to this post simply by saying that to "Get a new Computer" or "losing friends? just make new ones?" or "just do raid by yourself? no... wait... you can't, gg noob, get good or new computer or get out" or "just find raiders with the same crashing problems so that you don't feel that you're left out" and or the likes of it would simply solve the problem, just goes to show that it's perhaps not the hardware issue entirely, but the compatibility of misinformation may need to be addressed too.

Anyway, just some thoughts over these couple of weeks, and hopefully that the company can provide better "communication" to the community and to the public.

1 hour ago, -SDM-NerevarCM said:

To me, Minimum specs was always the minimum to make the game execute, and not the minimum to play without any problems.

^Same...

The thing is. The game has a minimun specs to play without many problems, on low levels. You see... When we start to jump into high levels, mob density increases and so the spam rate of our abilities.
Think as the Minimum Specs being the newer levels, and the Recommended Specs being the "endgame" of Warframe. Where in both cases, they can run without any problems.

And 32bits don't work so well.

13 hours ago, Tuxpenguino said:

Affirmative on this. I recently build a computer that should have run warframe fine... but only 45fps max on low???

I will Let you decide.

Pentium Dual Core @ 3.4

8 GB memory

GTX 750ti

How is this not running at least medium settings @ 1080p 

That is sure a CPU bottleneck since the Pentium Dual Core is something that was relevant from 2006 to 2009....

Edited by Momo93

It can't be, when i upgraded my cpu from a core 2 duo 2.13ghz to one overclocked to 4 ghz i got a miniscule game performance increase, only when i upgraded the graphic card was i able to see any improvement, still i find odd that having a less powerfull gpu and a less powerfull core 2 duo enabled me to run warframe at 60 fps, it could dip into lower fps and still does, but 45 fps wasn't the max i could achieve.

So with a 750 ti and a core 2 duo at 3.4 would be enough to get 60 fps, i'm sure of it. If you aren't getting 60 fps then the bottleneck may be the cpu, i mean it can't be the gpu.

I have the feeling other things are in motion here, how can i with a less powerfull gaming pc get more fps? something isn't right.

On 10/09/2016 at 5:58 AM, Tuxpenguino said:

Affirmative on this. I recently build a computer that should have run warframe fine... but only 45fps max on low???

I will Let you decide.

Pentium Dual Core @ 3.4

8 GB memory

GTX 750ti

CPU: pls no... Anything tha has Pentium in it's name can't run many things on low at 1080p.
RAM: No problem here.
GC: Still good today, but try to not enable AA or AO and you will be good for some more years.
Resolution: Did you know that rendering anything needs both CPU and GC right? Lower the Res and maybe it can run better.

Solution: Buy another CPU. Yours already is really outdated. (Yes, I know that it can tun other things. All CPUs can).

10 hours ago, Nedow40 said:

CPU: pls no... Anything tha has Pentium in it's name can't run many things on low at 1080p.
RAM: No problem here.
GC: Still good today, but try to not enable AA or AO and you will be good for some more years.
Resolution: Did you know that rendering anything needs both CPU and GC right? Lower the Res and maybe it can run better.

Solution: Buy another CPU. Yours already is really outdated. (Yes, I know that it can tun other things. All CPUs can).

I have ran Crysis 1 & 2 @ 1080p on a pentium dual core, Thanks you very much. The GPU is the main thing when it comes to gaming.

12 hours ago, Tuxpenguino said:

I have ran Crysis 1 & 2 @ 1080p on a pentium dual core, Thanks you very much. The GPU is the main thing when it comes to gaming.

The GPU is the main thing when it comes to games that are GPU focused. There is many games that are CPU focused. Just as Warframe is a little CPU balanced. I run it with an AMD FX6300 and a GT630 with 8GB RAM at 720p and it runs at 30 frames in a Survival Sortie. GC and VRAM are needed but are secondary source of power for some games, just like CPU isn't that needed for Crysis and Payday 2.
Crysis 2 was lauched in 2011. Warframe is 2013. Crysis is in the CryEngine, Warframe is in the Evolution Engine. See the difference?
Different games means different engines that means different peformance. Go play some Payday 2 and you will see that it will run good because the Diesel Engine engine is GPU focused.

BUT, an "anything quadcore" should work for you if you really need to make it work.
AND I'm trying to give a light to you, not to attack you in any form or shape. I just can't be serious when someone wants to run a 2013 game in a 2010 hardware. Is the same thing as putting a PS4 game into a PS3 and saying "it don't work pls fix".

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/09/2016 at 11:41 PM, Momo93 said:

That is sure a CPU bottleneck since the Pentium Dual Core is something that was relevant from 2006 to 2009....

On 11/09/2016 at 6:44 PM, Nedow40 said:

Really does depend on the pentium that he's referring too, some of the most recent ones have been really good value gaming cpu's and could overclock like crazy. 

Having said that I really do feel that the dev's need to increase the min requirements for the game AND include a 'test' to see if your setup is capable of playing smoothly or at the very least a test to determine if the pc is capable of being game host.  I doubt they would though because that could reduce players etc even if the minimum spec players cause issues when they get stuck as host for some strange reason.... 

Digital Extremes has a huge bank of systems on site with wildly varying hardware and software.
the suggested Min and Recommended Specs are not guesses.

Min Spec is what should be playable, at a playable Framerate.

i'll just reiterate the usual fact people can't comprehend - Warframe is completely CPUbound.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2016 at 9:58 AM, Tuxpenguino said:

I will Let you decide.

Pentium Dual Core @ 3.4

8 GB memory

GTX 750ti

I suggest trying to get a Quad core at a similar frequency. More cores means that more tasks can be done at once. The more tasks that can be done at once, the faster the program will run. I never go for CPUs any lower than Quad-Core. Also, how's your ping? That could be a limiting factor

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2016 at 10:58 AM, Tuxpenguino said:

I will Let you decide.

Pentium Dual Core @ 3.4

8 GB memory

GTX 750ti

My PC specs running on win10:

• CPU                     i5 - 2320 @  3.4 GHz
  • RAM                    10 GB
  • GPU                     GTX 750 Ti

Warframe settings:

Spoiler

• Display  Mode     fullscreen
  • Video Resolution  1920x1080
  • Aspect Ratio        auto
  • V-sync                  auto
  • Brightness            50%
  • Contrast               50%
  • Field of view         90%
  • preset                   custom
  • Nvidia PsyX Effect        ~
  • Run time Tesselation to High Shader Quality ON
  • Geometry Detail to Texture Memory HIGH
  • Anisotrpic Filtering 16x
  • Trilinear Filtering  ON
  • Anti Aliasing         HIGH
  • Dept of Field        ON
  • Motion Blur          OFF
  • Bloom                  ON
  • Bloom Intensity   60%
  • Color Correction to Characters Shadow ON
  • Constant Weapon Trail OFF
  • Weapon Elemental FX ON

I get around 60 fps but it is sometimes drops when ever new content is released on new content 

Edited by ChaellExE
specs

the minimum spec requirements are just a rough guage of what is required, they cant posibly know how the game will run on every possible combination of hardware people have on their home systems, OP's specs may match 99% with someone elses specs yet 1 may be fine with the other having difficulty, thats just how PC's have always been and always will be.

Their minimum spec details are not a guarantee for anyone, they are only a guide.

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned RAM. A 32-bit application can only assign 2Gb blocks of RAM so that is going to limit how many things you can fit on the map at once. As you get fewer spawns in solo I would assume the minimum would be based on RAM usage and solo mode.

This is also why you can drop 8Gb of RAM into a 32-bit machine and Windows will report about 3.5Gb of available RAM (depending on how much video RAM you have on the GFX card). The memory address spaces simply don't go any higher.

• 2 weeks later...

well all i can say is,

if you only have 3.5gb ram, dont forget warframe run on 780 MB by itself. If you on a few more stuff, you already reach half of your ram capacity of course there will be some lag.

• 2 months later...

To recap on everyone's advice (Also, I have a similar problem, so I want to make sure I'm understanding things):

• CPU - Upgrade from Pentium (although the recent ones are ok?). Don't settle for less than Quad-Core
  • Graphics card - Most cards made in the last five years should work fine
  • Internet - Do what you can to keep the ping low. Using Ethernet instead of WiFi.
  • RAM - 8 GB is fine.
  • OS - Upgrade to 64-bit so that you CAN use all 8 GB RAM
  • Speaking of bits... - If you have a 64-bit OS, play the game in 64-bit. (don't know why anyone wouldn't)

Also, if you can't get 1080p at a comfortable enough framerate, but 720p works fine, then count your blessings and go 720.

I personally prioritize speed over looks, so I don't mind completely dropping all of my settings to get 60fps.

On 19/07/2017 at 11:41 PM, The_NSA_Agent said:

To recap on everyone's advice (Also, I have a similar problem, so I want to make sure I'm understanding things):

• CPU - Upgrade from Pentium (although the recent ones are ok?). Don't settle for less than Quad-Core
  • Graphics card - Most cards made in the last five years should work fine
  • Internet - Do what you can to keep the ping low. Using Ethernet instead of WiFi.
  • RAM - 8 GB is fine.
  • OS - Upgrade to 64-bit so that you CAN use all 8 GB RAM
  • Speaking of bits... - If you have a 64-bit OS, play the game in 64-bit. (don't know why anyone wouldn't)

Also, if you can't get 1080p at a comfortable enough framerate, but 720p works fine, then count your blessings and go 720.

I personally prioritize speed over looks, so I don't mind completely dropping all of my settings to get 60fps.

That's mostly on point, though there's one bit I'd like to address.

Warframe is CPU bound, in the sense that a slow CPU will bottleneck it more severely than a slow GPU. The advice about "don't settle for less than a quad-core" is a bit misguided in this instance, however. The Evolution Engine is a heavily-modified descendent of Unreal Engine 3, and as such it's almost entirely single-threaded. If you have Task Manager open to the Performance tab while the game is running, you'll notice one CPU core is pegged while the others are basically idle.

The practical upshot of this is that while a CPU upgrade will indeed help, what matters here is clock speed and IPC (instructions per clock), not number of cores. A more recent CPU will, on average, benefit you more than an older one that happens to have more cores.

The vintage of your current CPU means that replacing the motherboard along with it is pretty much mandatory, and depending on what your new CPU+motherboard require, you may need to buy a new set of RAM modules too. The new Ryzen series of CPUs from AMD are pretty good performers, and are way cheaper than equivalent silicon from Intel. IDK what your budget is, but you can check out the PCPerspective Hardware Leaderboard (http://www.pcper.com/hwlb) for some ideas on what you can get for a given amount of money.