The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Male vs. Female Operators - the odds

Deshiel

On 09/09/2016 at 7:41 AM, Rhekemi said:

Yes, but the bulk of said weakness is attributed to being in stasis, atrophy. It's not a character or gender trait.

I didn't. Chose a male operator.

It's interesting, though. There are many players who only choose to fight as male warframes, or female warframes, because it works better for their sense of immersion.

I've seen complaints that casters/nukers are all female, and stealth was predominately male. 

Yet once what the Tenno are finally revealed, many players choose female operators. I guess between your post and Senigata's, maybe I am starting to see the logic.

Some players may not have wanted to choose a weak looking male Tenno, and would rather choose a female one. Perhaps those who had issues with the Second Dream's huge reveal (that Tenno are immortal teens). Perhaps a way to dissociate said weakness with a female Tenno and remain aligned with the powerful warframe persona.

That could all be true. 

But it could all be bulls**** since I don't know the players and am not a psychologist. 

I honestly don't know. But admit I can see the logic better now.

I only know that I chose a male Tenno because I wanted him to reflect me, since we are the Tenno/players. But then again, after the initial surprise (which shouldn't have been one given the hints we'd gotten), I didn't have any problem seeing immortal-teen Tenno and dozens of warframes as a singular, symbiotic identity. This goes to my point, I suppose. Generalizations can often gloss right over our individual reasons for our choices.

I love how you go for a long and sorta deep pseudo psychological analysis and then destroy it with the flick of a finger at the end xD It has good chances of being in the right though.

On 09/09/2016 at 1:01 PM, DarkDataStorm said:

Did you just assume my gender?

Spoiler

dNVvntX.gif

I had a good laugh on this one

Back to the point, i can't really answer the first question because a) i rarely ever see people activating focus and b) it's not that easy to discern wether they're male or female anyway without a long look and c) i generally play solo, so for me the operators i see are 99% female, as mine is :P

I would be pretty disappointed in a "boob slider" tbh. Though having the option of selecting a generic male / female body type to go along with the voice packs, i'd like.

49 minutes ago, KinetosImpetus said:

The male operator is a straight cylinder. The female one is slightly slimmer, slightly curvy, and definitely female. If you can't tell the difference you are blind or willfully ignoring the differences. 

I'm neither, and the insult is uncalled for and beneath you.

I said, in response to the operator that came out of the pod being "slim", that all the Tenno were relatively slim / that doesn't automatically make them female. (And I noted I didn't understand the point of the comment.)

Not that I can't tell the difference between a male and female operator. 

Again, the bit you quoted was in response to this odd generalization:

Everyone one I know uses a female Operator (myself included), mostly because during The Second Dream, the model that came out of the pod looked like the definitely slimmer model of the female Operator compared to the male one, which is actually where you can recognize the gender pretty well if you don't go overboard with the clothes.

My issue was with the bold (not with being able to tell the difference between male and female builds).

It seemed an odd assumption (based on ?) that we all got female operators to start with / that the model that came out was female (not case specific based on a player's actions, or their gameplay, but that it simply was female) without any evidence to suggest this was as universal as assumed.

I got a male kid coming out of the pod, and during the reveal.

Perhaps this assumption (that the operator simply came out of the pod female for most people) is based on the fact that most people were in female warframes and the game auto-selected female operators.

Does anyone know if it worked like that? Before we assume the Tenno that came out of the pod was default female?

I played the Second Dream in Rhino. Got a skinny male teen coming out of the pod, and in the face selection screen, a white male teen.

Edited by Rhekemi

16 minutes ago, Rhekemi said:

Perhaps this assumption's based on the fact that most people were in female warframes and the game auto-selected female operators.

Does anyone know if it worked like that?

It did not. Everyone got the exact same Operator in the cutscenes, as well as the same default Operator to customize. If you insist you got a male kid out of the pod and other people insist they got a female kid, well, that says something probably.

47 minutes ago, Rhekemi said:

I'm neither, and the insult is uncalled for and beneath you.

I said, in response to the operator that came out of the pod being "slim", that all the Tenno were relatively slim / that doesn't automatically make them female. (And I noted I didn't understand the point of the comment.)

Not that I can't tell the difference between a male and female operator. 

Again, the bit you quoted was in response to this odd generalization:

My issue was with the bold (not with being able to tell the difference between male and female builds).

It seemed an odd assumption (based on ?) that we all got female operators to start with / that the model that came out was female (not case specific based on a player's actions, or their gameplay, but that it simply was female) without any evidence to suggest this was as universal as assumed.

I got a male kid coming out of the pod, and during the reveal.

Perhaps this assumption (that the operator simply came out of the pod female for most people) is based on the fact that most people were in female warframes and the game auto-selected female operators.

Does anyone know if it worked like that? Before we assume the Tenno that came out of the pod was default female?

I played the Second Dream in Rhino. Got a skinny male teen coming out of the pod, and in the face selection screen, a white male teen.

I used male frame and my operator was female. 

Edited by KinetosImpetus

13 hours ago, (PS4)Akuma_Asura_ said:

You also forget that the warframe community has a huge age range . OP could of easily been 13 .

But yes to answer his question , it would. A breast slider would make female operators more popular because that's just the way people are 

No offense but please, it's could have been not could of. Help end the cancer today. 

14 hours ago, Deshiel said:

Corrent me if I am mistaken, but right now the only way to identify the gender of friendly operator is to witness them in thier apparation form during missions,

During your travels, how many male or female operators have you met? I am curious about the odds. I myself play as male operator and I think that I have met more male operators than females. I should add however that when I visit this forum, namely fan zone and artwork section. I notice a lot of female operators depicted in artworks and screenshots, meanwhile in game I meet mostly male operators.

One more question. Do you think that a breast slider in customisation would increase the female operators in population or would it remain the same?

The player population, statistically, is male by a wide margin, so a bias towards males makes sense.

My Tenno is based on my Kubrow-loving daughter.

I use maxed invisicrit Naramon so charge time is considerable.  It makes sense, strategically, because I don't need it until harder enemies spawn 10-15 minutes in.

I'm guessing most focus users wait for the bigger payoff, or just don't need it most of the time.

My 2 cents.

14 hours ago, AM-Bunny said:

I almost never see anyone use Focus, so I couldn't say which is more favoured.

As for body sliders, I've found that they're typically more trouble than they're worth. People would demand fat body types and muscular body types, and in order to make the suits fit on these body types, they'd have to be re-modeled. Some games with customizable bodies are content to just stretch clothing to fit, but the result is usually quite poor looking. In the end, most people realistically end up picking the 'average' looking body anyway, so all the extra work that goes into those alternate body types is wasted.

Having just a boob slider without other body options would come off as pretty pervy; I think DE has a little more class than that.

Poor looking you say? Nah.

Image result for dark souls character creation ugly

59 minutes ago, Belgard said:

It did not. Everyone got the exact same Operator in the cutscenes, as well as the same default Operator to customize. If you insist you got a male kid out of the pod and other people insist they got a female kid, well, that says something probably.

Then...I don't know.

Maybe I'm confused or am mistaking what it looked like. I'll admit that. I could be wrong. 

48 minutes ago, KinetosImpetus said:

I used male frame and my operator was female. 

There goes that theory.

Edit: 

Okay, skimming through a walk-through now (only played the Second Dream once, and never actually watched others' playthrough), yes, you're all correct. 

The default model in the cutscene was female (and I'm a bit disappointed that DE relied on the trope: save the frail girl). 

I was wrong.

But I do remember correctly that my operator/Tenno was was a white, male teen. (And laughing at his face, needing to change it.)

Before I assume, did we all get the same default white male kid upon entering the character creation screen?

Edited by Rhekemi

40 minutes ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

The player population, statistically, is male by a wide margin, so a bias towards males makes sense.

My Tenno is based on my Kubrow-loving daughter.

I use maxed invisicrit Naramon so charge time is considerable.  It makes sense, strategically, because I don't need it until harder enemies spawn 10-15 minutes in.

I'm guessing most focus users wait for the bigger payoff, or just don't need it most of the time.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for your input ;)

ill keep saying that the concept of operators being kids makes no sense, so yeah, i would aprove body sliders

also i use a female operator, i feel more confortable using female frames with a female operator

Edited by Toppien

I chose a female Operator because it fit my headcanon of my Excalibur being my Operators sword and shield, completely devoted to protecting her at all costs. Kinda like a Knight protecting royalty.

Anyway would it really have made a difference if they did? Even if it was introduced people would still pick their prefered gender, though I do agree that more body types would be more interesting.

Edited by (PS4)zeratul____12

The only really good way I've found to distinguish male and female operators is through their voice, since those are pretty telling. From what I've heard in missions, I see female operators more often. I am a male player, but my operator is female because my favorite of the voices is a female one, also she matches my Banshee.

13 hours ago, Vyra said:

operators (mind ) are thousands of years old... their bodies may be young ( but how is that different from asian type of humans? i know asian women who are 151cm tall and look like 12yo be they are 24 - and they are married so would you call their husbands being perv?)

That's not a valid excuse and it's kind of concerning that you're trying to make this work after the conversation is over with, if we're going into the lore with this they really haven't aged physically or mentally at all so no they're not really thousands of years old since they were in stasis the entire time and until quite recently were barely aware of their own existance, they're kids and they are actively refered to in that manner by the community.

This is a game, what does the real world have to do with this? The issue is suggesting that children have a breast slider not Asians finding love (there's a vast difference between being short and being young BTW but this isn't anatomy class and I'm not in the mood to get into it, way to try and make that black and white).

There are plenty of actual reasons why a breast slider in general doesn't belong in this game (Even on Warframes) but I'm not going to go beyond what I've written here if you want to talk about it more make a thread but please stop derailing this one

32 minutes ago, -Amaterasu- said:

That's not a valid excuse and it's kind of concerning that you're trying to make this work after the conversation is over with, if we're going into the lore with this they really haven't aged physically or mentally at all so no they're not really thousands of years old since they were in stasis the entire time and until quite recently were barely aware of their own existance, they're kids and they are actively refered to in that manner by the community.

This is a game, what does the real world have to do with this? The issue is suggesting that children have a breast slider not Asians finding love (there's a vast difference between being short and being young BTW but this isn't anatomy class and I'm not in the mood to get into it, way to try and make that black and white).

There are plenty of actual reasons why a breast slider in general doesn't belong in this game (Even on Warframes) but I'm not going to go beyond what I've written here if you want to talk about it more make a thread but please stop derailing this one

concerning ?
everything is fictional...
sliders are a must for every modern game with customization .. be it breasts or facial ones.

On 9/9/2016 at 1:20 AM, -Amaterasu- said:

and things like breast sliders never attract the right kind of crowd

right kind of crowd?
how do you know what kind of crowd already plays?

based on the artworks and other things from the net warframe players seem to be very pervy these day...
just googling "warframe a horrible place" and looking at the NSFW section reveals that...

if they are really teens ( kids? ) it feels already weird playing (using them for murder )them no matter if there are breast sliders or not.. nuf said
i just hope DE states somewhere the tenno are 18+.. then we have more liberty... this stupid censorship/moral barrier getting out of control...

Edited by Vyra

1 minute ago, Vyra said:

concerning ?
everything is fictional...
sliders are a must for every modern game with customization .. be it breasts or facial ones.

Again sliders aren't the issue here but I guess you can keep doging the point if you want, I'm not going into further detail with this so make a thread or PM me if you want to talk.

3 minutes ago, Vyra said:

right kind of crowd?
how do you know what kind of crowd already plays?

based on the artworks and other things from the net warframe players seem to be very pervy these day...
just googling "warframe a horrible place" and looking at the NSFW section reveals that...

Artists can be artists and do what they want, I have no problem with that, however I will have a problem when things like that are forced onto a game that has nothing to do with that in the first place, it's a sci-fi shooter, and one of the few good ones, let's keep it that way instead of making it about marketing.

5 minutes ago, Vyra said:

if they are really teens ( kids? ) it feels already weird playing (using them for murder )them no matter if there are breast sliders or not.. nuf said
i just hope DE states somewhere the tenno are 18+.. then we have more liberty... this stupid censorship/moral barrier getting out of control...

It's supposed to, that's part of the lore of the game, the whole point is the Orokin were using them as weapons and it got out of hand.

This isn't about Censorship or Morals but I'll just say right now the lore actively refers to them as "Children" so I'm going to stop arguing this point now...

Again PM me if you want but I'm done derailing.

No, cause they're meant to be children, which naturally have barely or undeveloped gender specific sexual characteristics. They're supposed to convey the contrast between childish innocence and vulnerability(their looks/voices/characters/behaviours) and unspeakable horror(their abilities/acts). If anything, I'd want them to look even younger to enhance that contrast.

I for one am glad there's no 'hardcoded' gender (and stereotypical limitations of hair-styles that might've followed with it - I like my female Op shaved-haired, thank you). It's quite novelty approach & I hope that stays.

That being said, more ways to customize the body-types would be great; but I'd figure they have other priorities than that; as the whole "morphs" they'd need to make, to appease us, who'd want more sliders for more customization involves a lot of work; not only on the models themselves, but all the accessories they'd add to them - ie. the Operator suits would need to fit the bodies, and it'd be more problematic if we had these sliders too. Given we only see our Operator-characters sitting in our Landing Craft and others just see them for few seconds... the amount of work this'd need just doesn't pay off well-enough & is dispropportionate to what we (and they) would get out of it. A lot of people also withold from purchasing Operator cosmetics for this very reason - these characters are more akin NPCs in the state they're now, rather than something seen as our characters.

Edited by jodarkrider

Just now, SenorClipClop said:

Maaaybe in the upcoming War Within? The trailer reveals our Operators can walk, at least.

Probably not. I saw a screenshot of TWW's first page of the script, which someone won at PAX, mentioning cast-members, and there's someone mentioned as "Tenno (Mara)". My assumption is, that the person (Operator) we see in the trailer, is someone named Mara; aka, another Tenno. It's likely that it's not our Operators, actually.

Because warframe is class/gender locked you can mostly say with your name what is you in the real life and can distinguish from others. If there would be a gender swap option so they fully make a model for each gender for every frame (the names could change btw) then maybe more people choose their real gender. It is not a guarantee because in mmo games the majority like to choose females because not less important what's butt you will watch all the time.

As for operators not really mean anything because rarely seen the others operators, no option yet to visit other tennos lisets and what I said before line ago is true with operators too so most of them female. 

A normal option to distinguish could be nice because often annoying when peoples think you are in the bad gender because you no have options to play your.

Other hand on internet everyone can be everything.

On 9/9/2016 at 9:19 AM, Beggining said:

When I'm doing pub runs, I never see those Operator Apparitions. Maybe people just don't want to spoil the quest, or because it ends much too quickly to be of any use XD (most only use them for pasives, anyway)

I am strongly against this, since we are talking about children.

I mean, they have existed for thousands of years but always in a child's body. They could very well have an intelligence similar to that of a fully matured adult. Bah. Really echoes the IRL argument for age of consent and stuff.