The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A New Concept: Option to Forma a Mod Polarity

(PSN)A_SimpleName

After farming the new aura mod (from TSG) last night, a thought pop into my head: How about allowing us to forma the polarity on the mod itself?

What I am suggesting will allow us to change any polarity for that copy of the mod and fit it into our builds. This will help with warframe that have different builds that uses different mods polarities. Even with this implementation, we still need to use up the same amount of formas. However, we won't need to build 3 separate frames with 3 separates forma-ing. The catch is that forma-ed mod count as its own individual copy. (e.g. I will need 3 prime continuity if I want to have 1 with dash, 1 with V, and 1 with D).

*In a hurry so I will come back and flesh out the details later.*

...work in progress

Basics

• A new item (ala forma-liked) that allow changing of mod polarity
  • The change will only affect that individual copy of the mod and the "forma-ed" mod will count as a separate entity.
  • You can only "forma" mod that has reach a "max" level. There will be a certain amount of endo that you'll need infuse the mod with before it can be "forma".
  • After each forma, the mod reset back to unranked.
  • The forma-ed mod will still have the same amount of drain (e.g. Prime Flow will still need 14 pts at max)

Pros

• Reduce the grind needed to build multiple copies of warframe in order to have multiple builds
  • Allows flexibility in modding

Cons

• Diminish the uniqueness of polarity
Edited by (PS4)A_SimpleName

Only potential problem with this is having veteran/hardcore players formaing every mod and mod slot to the same polarity (e.g. making every single mod a - polarity, then only formaing weapons to have all - polarities). This would greatly favor older/established players and put new players at a disadvantage as they would not have the forma/forma bp reserves needed to optimize their mods.

Also, there are supposed to be different polarities on the Auras so that we can't just switch back and forth at will. If we could, it would trivialize the importance of Auras and polarities, as choosing the polarity for your Aura slot would have no challenge.

Edited by Cano_Lathra

if you could change the Polarity of the Mod itself, that would be functionally the same as removing Polarities all together and halving the cost of every Mod.

doesn't really sound like an improvement to the game, since it completely removes a significant feature of Mods and Mod Loadouts (even if the existence kind've devalued innate Polarities - and made much less actual thinking and choice involved with deciding what Mods to Equip and instead just Equip what has the highest stats).

1 minute ago, Cano_Lathra said:

Only potential problem with this is having veteran/hardcore players formaing every mod and mod slot to the same polarity (e.g. making every single mod a - polarity, then only formaing weapons to have all - polarities). This would greatly favor older/established players and put new players at a disadvantage as they would not have the forma/forma bp reserves needed to optimize their mods.

How does your concern affect the concept itself? Veterans will have more resources over new players. Please explain because I don't understand.

2 minutes ago, Krivasran said:

Sooo...

Why wouldn't I just make every mod I cared about, and every slot on my warframe, the same polarity? Wouldn't that sort of defeat the polarity system?

Yes, you can still do that but in the end, you'll still need to put in the same amount of effort (formas, and re-leveling the mod with endo). It does trivialize the "uniqueness" of polarity but the same amount of work and effort are needed.

8 minutes ago, Cano_Lathra said:

That makes no sense. Veterans with everything moded they way they want would have to incentive to change mod polarities because that will in turn force them to re-forma their weapons and frames. 

Edited by (PS4)Regiampiero

2 minutes ago, (PS4)A_SimpleName said:

Yes, you can still do that but in the end, you'll still need to put in the same amount of effort (formas, and re-leveling the mod with endo). It does trivialize the "uniqueness" of polarity but the same amount of work and effort are needed.

Have you given thoughts to how this would impact balance and weapons, to be able to have maximum utility and power within one set? Perhaps this should have been posted with full details rather then "flesh out the details later"?

1 minute ago, (PS4)A_SimpleName said:

How does your concern affect the concept itself? Veterans will have more resources over new players. Please explain because I don't understand.

Yes, Veterans will always have more resources, but for the most part that simply means they can get the latest and greatest sooner than the newer players (which is fine). With this proposed system, veterans would be able to but any 8 mods on any weapon/frame/companion as they so choose, while newer (and even 'middle-age') players would still struggle with what they can put where.

For example, I put a V polarity on my Titania once I had leveled her, but then found that one of the builds I was doing couldn't work with that extra V, so I had to re-forma the slot to a polarity that worked for all my builds. If I could have just made all of my mods the same polarity, there would have been no strategy on my part for formaing her, just make everything the same and go level a few times.

Warframe modding is, at its core, all about strategy and acceptable sacrifice. You have determine what you can afford and what you can't. This proposed change would remove the great majority of that, which is not what DE wants to do.

45 minutes ago, Cano_Lathra said:

This isn't a problem, this game is Mostly PVE, we are all on the same side.... "Vets" in the way you are saying (which I use very loosely, that word has very little meaning in warframe) are always going to have the advantage that way... but it's not effecting you... Just means they have more time in game. 

That being said, I don't understand what's wrong with the forma system as is. It doesn't take much to forma a frame or a weapon. There would need to be more of a cost involved for formaing a mod as well. Max out the mod, put a forma, It goes back to 0 and you have remax it out again? Just like is involved with a frame? At that point it would make a lot more sense just to put some forma to match the mods due to cost, since you can use the endo and credits on other stuff, and the only cost for weapons and mods are forma and time to level. 

I'm against making a "cookie cutter" approach to the frames. The way the system is now, I don't think it's broke. It makes us think before slapping a forma on, It's interesting and unique. Frustrating when something changes to mess up your build a bit, but it's always fixable. 

Just my two cents

Edited by Mutt2679

Since this completely trivializes the polarity system and the requirements of making various builds work with the polarities you have, Id have to say no on this. Everyone would just polarize their mods and slots as V and be done with it, which would in turn really mess up the balance of the game. Making strong builds for your equipment is a large part of this game, you have to plan ahead when you are adding forma so you maintain flexibility. Removing that aspect is too much.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)Regiampiero said:

That makes no sense. Veterans with everything moded they way they want would have to incentive to change mod polarities because that will in turn force them to re-forma their weapons and frames. 

Perhaps, but mods (unlike weapons) have no time requirements to level, so if you have over 5 million endo (as many veterans have) the releveling of mods would be trivial. Yes, they would have to re-forma some of their weapons, but the majority of weapons are already forma'd primarily with either V slots (for crit/status) or - slots (for pure damage/specialty weapons), so just choosing one polarity and converting the other weapons to that polarity would take less than a week. Just buy a one-week affinity booster and go to Bere.

I see absolutely no reason for this to be of use for Warframes, as they usually are already set up. 

Spoiler

I will only accept it if the price to adapt it requires a less commonly attained object, like an Exilus Adapter along with either a Focus Lens, Polarity Transmute Core, or another Exilus Adapter along with a lot of credits and Ducats depending on rarity, along with the following listed:

-Only one of these polarity'd mods can be used on one 'frame or weapon. The mod can only be forma'd once, which will add 1 more level, but requires an Exilus Adapter and one of Simaris' polarity transmutation cores according to the polarity you're making it, along with the credits according to maxing the mod from it's current rank. Upon forma'ing it, it resets to R0 and gets +1R. 

-An option to use the Exilus to make the mod Exilus Slot enabled would be made available, but again the same restrictions apply.

-You cannot own more than 2 of these polarity'd mods for a Warframe, primary, secondary or melee. 

-You cannot trade the mod once it has undergone this change.

-You cannot do this to Conclave mods unless it can be used outside of Conclave as applying such changes will simply make it unable to be used in Conclave as doing so probably would make Teshin think you're cheating or something.