Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ash Oni helmet. 2017-02-10 Feedback on Tintareas please :)

arch111

ash6_by_gaber111-daxhtme.jpg

ashclr_by_gaber111-dayjxi7.jpg

This is my most recent iteration. I want to keep the demon, just make it more, well warframy. The braid is not worked on at all, I just wanted to add it there and get a general feedback on it.

This is my other version of this helmet, V5. They are very similar, but there are some differences made to them.

Ash ONI helmet v5 by gaber111

Most of all I wanted to try out the tinting and eyes to see what would look good and be fun in warframe itself.

Hi all!

This began a while ago when I got a request to make a 3Dmodel based on and inspired by this concept art. It celebrate the traditonal ninja that Ash is.

I5fJYPS.jpg

I have been working on it on and off for some time now. The biggest challenge have allway been to get the Oni demonmask to still work in the context of a warframe.

From the beginning I had no real thought that it could only day be a real Tennogen submission. But as tine went on and now that Ash Deluxe is official,  it seemed only right to share what has become of this project so far.

My first iteration looked like this. And it in retrospect looked more like a human skull than a demonmask.

ash_oni_by_gaber111-da8ktmg.jpg

So I kept working on a new design, and another and another. Several versions down the line I made this version.

ashoni_by_gaber111-dah1wtz.png

It was close,  but still not quite there so I began again and made a new model. This time it was more true to the concept art.

oni_10_ash_wip_by_gaber111-dahq114.jpg

As you can see when I paste it on existing screenshots it blends quite well, the tinting and details will probably be what really nails the look in the end.

sketch1474011328756_by_gaber111-dahwkum.png

sketch1474012056019_by_gaber111-dahwkz6.png

ashoni13_by_gaber111-dahqq6o.jpg

I would love some real constructive feedback since it is not done yet and might still change more before its done.

sketch1474009188646_by_gaber111-dahwker.png

Thanks for reading! 

- Arch111 -

Edited by arch111
Demonic Ash

nice sketches for sure. I personally think its to human. If you wanna do an oni mask draw inspiration from one. Don't actually do one. Like if you kill the nose/nose bridge. maybe keep the mouth in some form or shape.

Look at the warframes overall. they are very far away from any sort of human resemblence

I like the concept, but... too face-y right now. Too much eyeholes, too much nose.

What if you took the bottom of the brow and dragged it down to cover the eyes? So instead of two eyes, you just have one sort of slit near eye level. Maybe make the whole center of the face kinda smooth, and then really exaggerate the lower jaw with jagged teeth coming up.

Edited by motorfirebox

24 minutes ago, fredaven said:

nice sketches for sure. I personally think its to human. If you wanna do an oni mask draw inspiration from one. Don't actually do one. Like if you kill the nose/nose bridge. maybe keep the mouth in some form or shape.

Look at the warframes overall. they are very far away from any sort of human resemblence

Yes it is more human than the traditional warframe, though Ash is perhaps the one with helmets that align perfectly with a human head.

I knew this would be a common reaction to it. But maby Ash can be the strong exception to the rule?

25 minutes ago, motorfirebox said:

I like the concept, but... too face-y right now. Too much eyeholes, too much nose.

What if you took the bottom of the brow and dragged it down to cover the eyes? So instead of two eyes, you just have one sort of slit near eye level. Maybe make the whole center of the face kinda smooth, and then really exaggerate the lower jaw with jagged teeth coming up.

The trick is I think to go about this like Nekros Prime, that you see right away what it is, but it deviate enough to be alien.

I am still not done, so who knows what next iteration will bring?

Thanks for the feedback!

You know Anthro mag from polycount contest? it originally had an obvious human lips, people commented on that and the creators changed it.

And this is what DE_Kary said

Having seen it, and dwelt on it for a day or two it is definitely the right decision to pull the lips.  They're cool, interesting and wild, but they dominate the piece and it's out of step with the rest of what we've done with the Warframes.  If I had the chance to write the rules up again I would likely stress making anatomy analogies extremely abstract.  We have touched them with one or two alt helms, but largely stayed away from it sense.  http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/warframe/images/b/ba/VoltSeries3Helmet.png/revision/latest?cb=20130713212831 is the sort of thing we have done, and that is ultra extreme and doesn't draw into question human-ness.

Anthro mag probably won't be chosen for polycount winner if the creator kept the lips

1 hour ago, Rekkou said:

You know Anthro mag from polycount contest? it originally had an obvious human lips, people commented on that and the creators changed it.

And this is what DE_Kary said

Anthro mag probably won't be chosen for polycount winner if the creator kept the lips

Thanks for posting that. It will help going forward. 

I love it, but i would also like the details to be less blurry and a bit more defined, like the original concept where you can see every strong contour. Think how Atlas' thighs are sculpted-beautiful play with planes, clear-cut and chiselled contours, like that. The spread the colour patterns. For reference you could check out such helmets such as Raknis, which goes for a very similar face-like feel.

Keep at it mate! 

18 hours ago, tnccs215 said:

really,really like it. A perfect fusion of fluid lines and metalic ones. Somewhat human, true, but good nonetheless. Love the transition from the "cheeks" to the "mouth".

I'm glad you like it, this is still ongoing and the goal is of course to find the perfect balance, one that even Kary and Rebecca is ok with.

1 hour ago, Evanescent said:

I love it, but i would also like the details to be less blurry and a bit more defined, like the original concept where you can see every strong contour. Think how Atlas' thighs are sculpted-beautiful play with planes, clear-cut and chiselled contours, like that. The spread the colour patterns. For reference you could check out such helmets such as Raknis, which goes for a very similar face-like feel.

Keep at it mate! 

Yeah, this is the rough and messy one. I am not 100% with the horns and the chin, when I am I will do a simple low poly of it and then continue with the details and paint.

I want to stay as true to the ideas as possible.

24 minutes ago, arch111 said:

I'm glad you like it, this is still ongoing and the goal is of course to find the perfect balance, one that even Kary and Rebecca is ok with.

Yeah, this is the rough and messy one. I am not 100% with the horns and the chin, when I am I will do a simple low poly of it and then continue with the details and paint.

I want to stay as true to the ideas as possible.

Sounds like a plan to me! Followed.

49 minutes ago, Vlada91 said:

Please dude finish the helmet,it looks amazing and cool at the same time! :cool: 

Lol it's so amazing how different we all feel about warframes design.

Thanks, happy to hear it! I hope it will look good as a lowpoly model , I am unsure about the braid though. Would it look good or bad rigged and animated?

20 hours ago, arch111 said:

Lol it's so amazing how different we all feel about warframes design.

Thanks, happy to hear it! I hope it will look good as a lowpoly model , I am unsure about the braid though. Would it look good or bad rigged and animated?

If this is your concept-art ?then you have nothing to worry about.I think it looks nicer without the braid ...You only need 2 improve horns. And seems to have only 3 colors primary,secondary and energy....you need 2 more and that's it. For all i know this is the most creative design and it seems very promising:smile: and  i think that the circuits for energy to be a bit bigger to see energy more clearl, such as in the drawing... for example:QvIoiRB.jpg

vtIxqxd.jpg

Jk3wkyc.jpg

Jm73Vgq.jpg

17fiweH.jpg

Edited by Vlada91

Two things need to change, in my opinion. The nose needs sharply reduced in profile or removed (it looks too human), and the teeth need to look far less like, well, actual teeth.

As an example of how to do the teeth, take a look at Nekros Prime's helmet:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160710161326

Notice how part of his helmet has the appearance of skeletal teeth without actually being, well, teeth? It's just a small section of the helmet that juts outward with a few grooves on the surface, just enough for the mind to pick up on the allusion to teeth without actually going all the way.

On another note, I don't think everything Ash needs a "ponytail", but that's just me.

On 2016-9-19 at 4:05 PM, Vlada91 said:

15 hours ago, Kyotra said:

Two things need to change, in my opinion. The nose needs sharply reduced in profile or removed (it looks too human), and the teeth need to look far less like, well, actual teeth.

As an example of how to do the teeth, take a look at Nekros Prime's helmet:

Reveal hidden contents

latest?cb=20160710161326

Notice how part of his helmet has the appearance of skeletal teeth without actually being, well, teeth? It's just a small section of the helmet that juts outward with a few grooves on the surface, just enough for the mind to pick up on the allusion to teeth without actually going all the way.

On another note, I don't think everything Ash needs a "ponytail", but that's just me.

2 hours ago, Senketsu_ said:

I feel that removing the nose would make this helm perfect. I've been wanting an ONI mad for ash forever now.

I guess I will explore the nose and teeth further now and see how that looks.

Thanks for the feedback!