Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sobek's 'Shattering Justice' mod

Landpaddle

After the Kohm, the Sobek is probably my favorite shotgun due to the Acid Shells mod and the crowd clear potential it offers in lower-level content. However, its syndicate mod--Shattering Justice--leaves much to be desired. The only niche in which I would currently use this mod is low-level survival and defense missions due to the utility of the syndicate bomb.

In order to offer an alternate build for tackling high level content (particularly for void and grineer missions), I suggest buffing the additive status chance increase of Shattering Justice to 30-40% to make the Sobek a 100% status chance viable shotgun with the syndicate mod and sufficient dual-stat element/status mods.

The reason I propose this change is that the Sobek does not have the burst effectiveness to quickly dispose of heavily armored targets and does not have the status chance to reliably reduce that armor with corrosive procs. With a 100% status build, it might be feasible to strip the armor of Bombards or Heavy Gunners and let their larger health pool synergize with Acid Shell's health-scaling AoE damage.

A Sobek with its syndicate mod adjusted like such would still not be as effective as the Kohm, a Scattered Justice Hek, the Vaykor Hek or the Tigris family in burst, but it would at least serve as a decent means of firmly establishing it as a shotgun more viable for content in the later game. Moreover, because the Sobek is largely an impact-based shotgun, having 100% status on it wouldn't disrupt game balance too much due to its innate lack of slash or puncture procs, both of which scale better against armored targets; the Tigris Prime and Hek can both be modded for 100% status already, so why not the Sobek too?

What do you think about this suggestion? Would they help the Sobek find more parity with the Hek and Tigris, or is this encroaching on the niche of the Boar Prime and the Sobek is fine where it is?

No.

The shotguns that are able to reach 100% status use that to scale (since using Corrosive damage with 100% strips armor within a few shots).

However, Sobek does not need this. With Acid Shells, it has AoE damage that occurs anytime an enemy is killed. Even killing lower enemies to strip armor of higher enemies is useful because the damage scales endlessly.

If Sobek was buffed to be able to reach 100% status chance, there would be literally zero reasons why you'd want to use something else, unless you wanted to have slash procs for Nekros's Desecrate

Sobek kills high-level enemies fine and Acid Shells is a scaling mod...Sortie Hyena Pack allows you to focus fire on a single Hyena to kill and thus lower the health of the nearby Hyenas.

Shattering Justice is just a mod that doesn't justify the mod slot.

Also I agree that Sobek doesn't need to be cemented as the end-all-be-all weapon among the masses.

From my perspective of total load out:

Sobek burst damage with Fire-rate mods Trump's the other shotguns

Melee status trumps Gun status builds

Kavats and certain Warframe abilities will strip enemy armor without wasting ammo.

Augmented Enemy Armor Lephantis Sortie is feasible playing solo with only using Sobek....so I don't agree with just adding more Power to an already powerful shotgun.

3 minutes ago, KotoKuraken said:

No.

The shotguns that are able to reach 100% status use that to scale (since using Corrosive damage with 100% strips armor within a few shots).

However, Sobek does not need this. With Acid Shells, it has AoE damage that occurs anytime an enemy is killed. Even killing lower enemies to strip armor of higher enemies is useful because the damage scales endlessly.

If Sobek was buffed to be able to reach 100% status chance, there would be literally zero reasons why you'd want to use something else, unless you wanted to have slash procs for Nekros's Desecrate

Strun Wraith (40% base status) has a pellet count of 10, whereas Sobek has a pellet count of 5 (less procs per shot).

The armor stripping from Corrosive procs would only apply to a single enemy, or a line with punch-through mods - enemies not in the line of fire would be unaffected by the corrosive procs of the shots. Unless I am mistaken, explosion damage from Acid Shells is not increased by the armor of the enemy killed.

If Shattering Justice was buffed to +25% base status chance, and changed to apply before other status mods (Sobek's 15% + flat 25% from Shattering Justice = 40%), it would be able to reach 100% status chance with Shattering Justice and 3 Dual Stat mods. Adding Acid Shells, (Primed) Point Blank and Hell's Chamber would leave 1 slot open for a final mod.

The only potential issue I can see with this change is deaths from Gas procs (AoE Toxin procs) causing extra explosions in tight groups.

1 hour ago, KotoKuraken said:

Acid Shells doesn't proc the corrosive status, only the damage (and frankly wouldn't be balanced if it did). It inherently scales badly against heavily armored enemies due to this, is less effective with enemies whose hitpoint pool consists partially of shields, and scales best with infested since they mostly have raw health and no armor.

Compare to the Hek: With Scattered Justice (+200% multishot), you can get insane amounts of pellets--especially when considering the Hek has more pellets than Sobek to begin with. This extra multishot allows you to hit 100% status chance on a far more powerful weapon. Really it's incredibly good and might scale better than the crit-heavy Vaykor Hek for extremely armor-heavy targets solely for being able to proc Corrosive a lot.

The fact that Shattering Justice only gives you additional status chance, which is not sufficient to hit 100% without spending another damage/firerate slot on Nano-Applicator, is just not comparable to the incredible Scattered Justice mod, which not only makes the Hek a status cannon but also so much more hard-hitting than the Sobek could ever be in burst and sustained. I think the Sobek does deserve that buffed Shattering Justice syndicate mod to at least be remotely as viable as the Hek for higher-level content.

On 9/25/2016 at 10:51 AM, (PS4)lhbuch said:

Sobek is amazing but not as a status shotgun. The augment is worthless since it doesnt help to get to the 100% status needed, you might use the mod only for the synd proc if you want.

^

Also, the gun is an IPS weapon that is impact heavy.  Even if you hit 100% status most of your procs would be impact and nigh worthless.  Shattering Justice is just another example of a syndicate mod with the best intentions without any real usefulness to it.  Shotguns have the unique property where the difference between ~~90% status and 100% status makes a HUGE difference.  Because of that the sobek falls just short of 'greatness' (also being impact heavy hurts).

4 minutes ago, zehne said:

Also, the gun is an IPS weapon that is impact heavy.  Even if you hit 100% status most of your procs would be impact and nigh worthless.

A bit of over-generalization here.

The Strun Wraith is also a physical weapon with the majority of its base damage in Impact. However, because it has a very high 40% base status and fires a lot of pellets, it can make very good use of elemental status by virtue of the fact that it only needs three of the four 60% status-elemental mods to reach 100% status, leaving an extra mod slot open for a 90% elemental mod of your choice. A build for Corrosive-Heat with all four Corrosive mods and Scattering Inferno and Blaze for Heat lands an average of 8 Corrosive procs per shot out of its 22 pellets. (Replacing Blaze with a damage-type-neutral mod improves the average to 8.7 Corrosive procs per shot.)

The Sobek's issue is not that it's an Impact-based physical damage weapon, but that its base status chance is simply too small. You need to expend more mod slots to build up its status chance, resulting in fewer mod slots available to shift the status proc bias towards Corrosive.

33 minutes ago, Infinitewin said:

http://imgur.com/a/1YB41

does this mean 88+(.9*15)=102? i tried to play a match but it was bugged so i cant be sure if it works or not.

Theoretically, yes, that will work.

36 minutes ago, Inarticulate said:

A bit of over-generalization here.

Yes I understand.  The problem is that in a topic about a shotgun that has 2 weapon specific mods, raising the status chance of the weapon alone won't make it that viable (at least currently) due to it running out of mod space between the 'required' mods.  It'd need either a super high base status chance, higher base damage or a much faster reload speed to give it the capability to pull a status/acid shells combo off.

Shattering justice needs to effect the base value of status so that 60% elemental scale off of it to make the sobek status viable.  Because there is a huge difference between +9% status per 60% elemental and +21% per 60% elemental(before multishot).  Even if shattering justice effected status scaling from other status mods, you'd still need 2 60% elementals to get to 100%.  That means you'd use half your mod slots just to make it a status/acid shells gun.  That gives a meager 4 mod slots for the obligatory multishot/damage/fire-rate/reload/elemental damage(to weight the procs) mods.

imo...We need to just wait for damage 3.0 and see if that 'fixes' the sobek.  It's not a bad weapon at all currently but I don't have any use for shattering justice because it just doesn't do enough for the weapon to justify using it.

Edited by zehne