The Second Stream Podcast: Episode 3

[DE]Drew

The Second Stream   

535 members have voted

1. 1. Did the snapshot of missions played surprise you? (check image below if you did not watch Devstream 80)

• Yes, some of those numbers suprise me.
    • No, those numbers are roughly what I expected.
    • Other (post an explanation below).
    • No opinion on this topic.
  2. 2. Universal Vacuum is coming! What do you think?

• I think that's great! Other companions will see much more play.
    • I think it shouldn't be universal. Leave it for Carrier only.
  3. 3. Spear Gun is coming as a new primary type! What's your first impression?

• Looks promising!
    • Not very interested in Spear guns.
    • Not sure yet - need more information.
    • Will it take me a million light years from home?
  4. 4. We've hinted at a new Syndicate system that will allow you to hunt or save VIPs. Which option interests you more?

• Kill all VIPs!
    • #SaveTheVIPs!
    • Death for some, salvation for others!

This poll is closed to new votes

Please include hosts' and guests' names in the episode description.

27 minutes ago, chaotea said:

3 vacuum mods. 1 sentinel, 1 kubro, 1 kavat.

really doubt it. Vacuum is centered on your sentinel, but think about that logistically for a kubrow/kavat. How do they vacuum items to you? The effect would have to be centered on you, not your companion.

No, it's probably three different pickup types: ammo, orbs, and resources.

While I don't have as negative a reaction to the vacuum split, I dislike that only sentinels can use it. All I really wanted was an orb draw with no strings attached. I understand why people dislike picking up individual resources, but orb draw is an absolute necessity in WF. That's a matter of survivability, not utility. Core game mechanics as a pickup is fine, but not if the pickup is out of your way and potentially obscured. Think about it practically. You cannot watch the whole battlefield and get orbs at the same time. You also have frames who are wholly reliant on orbs, such as Nekros. I agree that sahasa is underrated (not chesa, still way too focused on aggression to be compared to vacuum), however the complaints with kubrows (and more recently, adarza) using abilities too infrequently are legitimate.

Then you have many sentinels being questionable-to-worthless: Shade, whose reactive cloak is dispelled by parkour; Djinn, who tries to tank despite being the squishiest sentinel and can't heal or revive; Dethcube, whose signature "high-damage" ability can't even compete with sentinel weapons or kubrow melee attacks, which don't have a 30s cooldown. There's also the fact that a lone lv50 bombard can one-shot your sentinel with splash damage, and there's nothing you can do to protect them. The few healing sources that worked on sentinels have been gradually removed. By the time their powers would be a significant contribution, they're already gone. The whole sentinel mechanic is treated like a gimmick. Carrier, Helios and Wyrm are the only ones who perform their jobs well, and even they die when you need them most. Why? Were they too OP? Then why let me use them against weaker enemies but not stronger ones? That is the opposite of balance.

Regarding the proposed Vacuum changes, I think we need a more comprehensive overhaul of how looting works in general.

These vacuum changes might be a tolerable short-term solution, but overall they feel like a net negative. For players who appreciate the current iteration of Vacuum, it will now require greater investment to see the same benefit.

Why not expand on how the UI presents and details our loot acquisition, and do away with needing to pick those things up entirely? Ammunition and Orbs can remain as they are, but credits / Mods / Endo and the like could be deposited directly into player inventory with an appropriate UI popup. We already have our little "loot crawler" at bottom center screen; I think that functionality could be expanded to show a running tally of loot that feels just as good as our current "ground sparkles" do.

A side benefit of this change: it will be easier to parse the ground clutter that can become a problem in some situations. Warframe can be pretty unfriendly when it comes to demanding intense visual sifting from its players, and the removal of needing to "touch or vacuum" every piece of loot could be a profitable inroad towards reducing visual noise.

Edited by notlamprey
words!

1 hour ago, Venn2 said:

The biggest surprise to me from that chart is that people spend more time in raids than conclave on average. Especially since conclave take up half the patch notes every time, and requires massive amounts of rebalancing every time new gear comes out. 

Yea... nonsense from DE. They're losing precious resources and time on the Conclave IMO.

2. Universal Vacuum is coming!

Great ! But make it inate for every frames or companions instead of making new mods. Mod slots are not expendable and Sentinels already need too much Formas to be efficient.

3. Spear Gun is coming as a new primary type!

I approve as a huge fan of the Stargate movie ! Give my regards to King Tut !

The proposed "universal" Vacuum change is just as bad, if not worse in some aspects, than the current Vacuum situation. All it does is create 3 necessary mods you'd need on your Sentinel at all times, and STILL doesn't make Kubrows and Kavats and more viable vs. Sentinels. 

Vacuum should be an innate ability for all Warframes. That solves the issue of creating more necessary mods for Sentinels and makes Kubrows and Kavats more viable to use. Even if it's up to 5 meters, it's a better solution than Scott's proposed change. 

BUT, if universal Vacuum HAS to be a mod, it should be applicable to all Companions and the 3 proposed Vacuum types (Health & Energy, Credits & Ammo, and Mods, Endo, & Resources/Misc...), the effects should be applied to each level of the mod (1/3/5). 

Vacuum - either a passive for warframes, or a single universal mod usable on all companions.

An option would also be to:

- have vacuum in 1 mode, as is now,

- and also have 2 other types of vacuum, one for ammo/health/energy, and one for the other loot.

2. Universal Vacuum is coming! What do you think?

Sentinel-universal is good.
Companion-universal is better.

Just addressing the underlying issue and increasing the Frames' inherent pickup range + removing the bandaid mod = priceless.

If you really want, attach the increased pickup range to an emote. Slightly cumbersome, but still lets you decide when you do and don't want to pick up everything in the vicinity.

Particularly good stuff from TGDM, as usual. Glad to see you roped him into the podcast again.

Edited by Chroia

2. While I really want universal vacuum I dont want it in form that was mentioned, 3 mods and on sentinels only not only make it worse then current carrier vacuum but also doesnt fix problem it supposed to: make other types of companions attractive(like kubrows or kavats). Also this will make the mods mandatory something you said you are against(since its big improvement of quality of life).

Better it would be if all frames had inbuild vacuum.

3.While I am very excited for spear guns I would be even more excited if we also got spears and/or spears with shields as weapons.

Universal Vaccum 

Quiette Shy sums up my thoughts and her proposed solution I fully support. Innate vacuum ability on Warframes and Archwings/Sharkwings will allow for greater use of any type of companions. Vacuum has always been a quality of life, and really should be a core mechanic that will benefit not only veteran but new players. As someone who is Mastery Rank 22, I no longer need to tell a new player to get Carrier because of Vacuum.

Splitting Vacuum into 3 mods will only inadvertently limit the players choice, since we will need to fill 3 mod slots on our sentinels to do what 1 vacuum mod once did. DE has said countless times that they really wish to alleviate "mandatory" mods in favor of more interesting mod combinations / builds. (ie. The Serration argument) By splitting vacuum into 3 mods it is not actually adding diversity and enhancing different play style, but just adding more filler mods to a single build. The vacuum game mechanic now cost 3 mod slots, but more to the point takes away mod slots that could be used in other ways.

Universal vacuum:

- Dont do your horrible solution of 3 mods division

- Dont do a compromised solution

- Dont try to reach a middle ground solution

-  enough band-aids, enough 2.0´s and 3.0´s, do it right, at first, you have 3 years of treads, specifically saying "universal vacuum"

- Do universal vacuum, as a innate feature for all frames, or as a innate feature for sentinels and pets.

Warframe is not like other games, whit small, or few loot; grinding and RNG is not decreasing (its increasing in allot of features), universal vacuum is a quality of life feature that should be a basic thing whiteout restrictions. 

If vacuum is going to be compromised or nerfed in any way, please, dont bother changing it then, dont waste your time, nor ours.

Because the community will start another 3 years cycle of "universal vacuum 2.0" treads.

-----------------------

Missions played graph:

There is no surprise.

Graphs have to be interpreted, and sometimes they are even interpreted wrongly.

A missions that is played allot of time, or not at all, isnt equal, to "players like it" or "players dislike it"

I dont even know what is the intention of the question of being surprise, nor why it is asked, very devious, for a community hot-topics, to ask the level of surprise about a graph, that does not come with a interpretation.

Edited by 7grims

I think there should be better rewards for non endless missions. The mission type I enjoy the most lately is sabotage. Running around searching for caches is actually really fun, also because stealth gameplay can be part of this. Unfortunately the rewards aren't really there. Imo getting all 3 caches should reward us with a high chance of getting a relic. I don't have exact numbers ofc, but it doesn't feel like spy missions are a much higher time investment, yet they give a lot more affinity, mod rewards and they always give a relic.

1. Not surprised at all by the snapshot. Biggest thing to me is the 1.29% Trial play. I would love to be able to play these, but since I do not play with a dedicated group of friends I am stuck with the PUG scene, and that pretty much means no Trials.

2. I like the idea of being able to customize what the vacuum picks up, but not so happy with the three mod suggestion. Honestly would prefer it to be a setting in the options menu, or if the devs are committed to making it a mod going with the idea of adding functionality to a single mod as it ranks up.

3. New weapons always make me happy. Gonna equip it with my Inaros and go Goa'uld on the Grineer. Only thing is please stop calling it a Spear Gun. That makes me think of the underwater weapon. They don't call them Sword Guns or Blade Guns, they call them Gun Blades. Gun Spear! Oh, and you could name one Gungnir. Gungnir the Gun Spear! :)

4. Excited for both.

Regarding Vacuum this really is a no brainner and I don't see why they are trying to make it more complicated than it needs to be, you do one of two things either give the vacuum mod to all Sentinels and animals or make vacuum innate to all warframes with the same range as a fully maxed Vacuum mod, that's it why is this so complicated lol?

As for the universal vaccum, I think this should be an innate ability on all warframes. The game is just too fast paced to spend time fiddling with loot on the ground.

This would also settle the issue of Carrier dominance and players wouldn't feel the need to neglect other companions just to keep the guns running or on the chance they might miss significant loot.

Breaking up vacuum will cause more problems than anything else.

The real answer is a universal innate large radius pickup on the warframes themselves.

For the question about "Universal Vacuum", I'd prefer that every companions have the ability of vacuum (the old one), and maybe give Carrier some new unique abilities. So it could be not just simply nerfing Carrier, but nerfing Carrier by buffing the others, and then making up on nerfed Carrier.

Vacuum passive for all warframes is the only way. Should have been like that from the start. It's a core game mechanic for any game of this type (where theres lots of loot), needing a mod for it is like needing a mod for "jump" function.

Edited by Berdfess

In regards to Universal Vacuum, I think pickups need a rework in general.

LOOT should either be subject to innate warframe-based vacuum, or not 'drop' at all, but instead be awarded directly (kinda like how we instantly get Cryotic when the Excavator finishes).

Mission-specific drops should still work as they are now, just with a single universal vacuum mod for sentinels, and something similar available to pets.

Edited by DeltaPhantom

2. Actually, I don't think give vacuum to others sentinels going to make much difference in game. I'm not against the idea, but, Why not just give sentinels a buff, or a passive ability, or even a rework from some of his abilities?
And, if at the end you gonna add the new three mods for Vacuum, just make the sentinels abilities level up like the warframes.
Idk, just hope for the best.
Have an awesome day!.

Vacuum should not be split into 3 parts, and all companions, including kubrows and kavats should have it. I like the concept of having a companion do it instead of the warframe as it gives greater incentive to get one, so greater incentive to possibly buy platinum and such. it make business sense to give a greater incentive to buy more than one companion. also the chesa abilities need to be changed along with this new change. THe new carrier precepts needs to be more active than just giving you a magazine and ammo conversion buff. instead of making it suck, give it some blow back ability that procs blast. this in addition to the magazine and ammo precepts.