Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vacuum: Discussions Post Devstream #80

[DE]Rebecca

Spoiler

I recall saying about a logical solution. I will AGAIN repeat it as I am clearly not getting my words across.

ADVISORY: CAPSLOCK IS ON BECAUSE I BELIEVE THIS WILL HAVE YOUR ATTENTION BY NOW.

OK. HERE'S THE CONCEPT:

-Carrier RETAINS PRECEPT and NEW PRECEPT but cannot use BOTH at the same time.

-VACCUM is SPLIT into singular mods that cater to EACH LOOT TYPE but can also be MERGED via TRANSMUTATION - new reason to use that system.

-NEW VACCUM VARIANTS would be created by merging. CAN ALSO APPLY TO WARFRAMES (I.E: Health + Vaccum for resources and ammo, Shields + Vaccum for Endo and Affinity, Other_Mod like Rage + Vaccum for Energy and Health) with chance of making a mod you didn't realize would be good.

-DEVICE TO PUT NEW VACCUMS IN IF YOU HAVE NO ROOM. +15 MOD CAP, +4 MOD SLOT (Sentinel / other, non-essential mods like Intruder and so on). Can be used on: Warframes, Primaries, Secondaries, Companions. This would be mounted like Exilus or Catalyst/Reactor, but can be swapped across the things it can be used on, but only ONE can be used on your loadout.

I have said about my solution earlier but, from the looks of it, nobody's reading the concept.

Alternative: Increase Warframe mod/credit/resource pickup radius so they don't have to walk over every single thing.

Edited by Koldraxon-732
Put spoilers on things. New solution. 'An accident'.

3 hours ago, Koldraxon-732 said:

I recall saying about a logical solution. I will AGAIN repeat it as I am clearly not getting my words across.

ADVISORY: CAPSLOCK IS ON BECAUSE I BELIEVE THIS WILL HAVE YOUR ATTENTION BY NOW.

OK. HERE'S THE CONCEPT:

-Carrier RETAINS PRECEPT and NEW PRECEPT but cannot use BOTH at the same time.

-VACCUM is SPLIT into singular mods that cater to EACH LOOT TYPE but can also be MERGED via TRANSMUTATION - new reason to use that system.

-NEW VACCUM VARIANTS would be created by merging. CAN ALSO APPLY TO WARFRAMES (I.E: Health + Vaccum for resources and ammo, Shields + Vaccum for Endo and Affinity, Other_Mod like Rage + Vaccum for Energy and Health) with chance of making a mod you didn't realize would be good.

-DEVICE TO PUT NEW VACCUMS IN IF YOU HAVE NO ROOM. +15 MOD CAP, +4 MOD SLOT (Sentinel / other, non-essential mods like Intruder and so on). Can be used on: Warframes, Primaries, Secondaries, Companions. This would be mounted like Exilus or Catalyst/Reactor, but can be swapped across the things it can be used on, but only ONE can be used on your loadout.

I have said about my solution earlier but, from the looks of it, nobody's reading the concept.

Dude, I'm sure people have read it, do you want a medal? My personal view on your idea is that it is a bad idea, hence I didn't bother posting anything about it, but repeating it for the third time is just asking to be called out for it.

Having mods that can be transmuted into specific new mods requires a whole bunch of new subsystems to be added to the modding/transmutation system. What you are really asking for is dozens of new mods and a whole new category of equipment item. Dozens of new mods to serve a single purpose that many people have offered up a far simpler way to solve and that is just put vacuum on the frames themselves, no mods, just a universal passive.

DE have proposed an overly complicated way of solving the problem of everyone and their grandmother using Carrier and it won't even solve the problem. True universal vacuum would be orders of magnitude easier to implement as the base code already exists inside the vacuum mod for Carrier. Your idea is even more complicated than DE's idea and still doesn't deal with the issue of required mods/companions/equipment.

You are far from the only person posting crazy, over complicated solutions, but the only one begging for some kind of response. 

Sorry if this has come across rude. It's not meant to be (blunt, maybe, but I intend no offense). This issue has struck a chord in me. As a gamer, one that spent 3 months playing this game before even touching Carrier, it was immediately apparent to me that the game is better when you have vacuum. As a designer it baffles me that this even has to be a discussion. DE have an amazing game, no doubt, but having universal vacuum would make the game better. They want people to use other companions, then vacuum needs to not be tied to any specific one/category. They want people to spend money on slots, then make it so you don't just need the sentinel slots the game gives you for free. They want to do away with necessary mods/equipment, then give the feature of the necessary mod (vacuum) to everyone. So many problems solved with the very thing we (many of us, not all, whatever) have been asking for.

Edited by devlkore
Wrong word

Default:

1: Player loot such as mods, endo and credits are automatically banked.

2: Gameplay items such as energy orbs, health orbs retain their current collection methods.

3: Everything else is vacuumed up through warframe proximity.

Options:

A: Drops around orbs coalesce into loot piles.

B: Sentinels confer passives to the player with ownership. For example, Carrier unlocks the vacuum passive.

C: Carrier now has a saddle because every ninja needs a space scooter.

I can only hope that the different versions of Vaccuum, if youd decide to go with that, will either be about different companions (1 for Kavats, 1 Kubrow and 1 Sentinels) or they will be equippable to all companions but give slightly different benefits (1 gives more health, one more resources, the other more ammo).

But the best would be a Universal Vaccuum equippable on ALL companions.

And if you ask what that Kubrow with the specialty of fetching will do? Simple; it will still run out pretty far away from the player to fetch items all over the stage, rather than be limited to a small area of movement near the player.

If all mods, resources and endo were instantly added to player inventories instead of lying on the ground :

- There would be far less visual clutter in this already "busy" game visually

- I'm presuming there would be some network improvements (DE limited mods to 50 on the ground at a time to improve performance)

- There would be no need for vacuum at all, but instead it would be an option for those using ammo hungry weapons or needing credits.

- This optional mod could then be a single one that fits all companions like Animal Instinct.

I honestly cannot see a down side to this change, unless DE actively don't want players to get all the pickups for some reason.

Since this is on the table, here are my 2 cents.

1: Keep one version a 'universal vacuum'. If players have to equip three versions to get what functionality they had before, they will occupy almost 50% of the sentinel's mod capacity just to get vacuum.

2: Alternate versions can be for specific segments of items. One useful one might be 'everything but health/energy'. Some abilities (such as Zenurik's energy-orb sharing, or Arcane Energize functionality) mean you want allies near you when you pick up energy orbs, so you may want to wait until allies are near to pick up the energy orbs, and not want them vacuumed up. Similarly, Simaris' Energy/Health conversion abilities are similar. BUT... these players would still have every reason to pick up every resource and ammo drop they can find.

3: If you must split up vacuum types between types of pickup, consider having these 'specialized' vacuum types magnify the pickups that are collected, or have a much larger radius, etc. If it is going to be specialized (nerfed), it should have a buff to make up for the loss of functionality.

Why is everyone obsessed with making vacuum a mod, or even worse, multiple mods? It should just be a thing that happens when you walk near items...that's all there is to it.

If it bothers you that all items are being picked up around you, then as an inherent game play mechanic (that "vacuum" should be) you can go to options and toggle what types of things you want picked up; or, if you want nothing picked up at all. I think its time that vacuum ceases being talked about as a mod and starts being implemented as a mechanic on warframes.

please devs i'm just saying you should, and begging. please make PC to PS4 account migration a thing for once more. i got si many friends on PC but i'm on PS4 and niether wants to lose their epic gear. please please please please please please please please please please please please. I hope this humble request reaches you golden thrones er....couches, please

I occurred to me that some people may not want a constant vacuume effect, as it will suck in orbs and ammo when you have only fired one shot or are one or two points shy of max energy. To that end, I would still like Vacuum to be inherent on all frames, but make it a manually activated ability that you have to hold down the "interact" button to activate and channel for a few seconds, like one of those sink faucets where you push down the valve to have it automatically spout water for a little while.

Another option would just be to make it a toggle, but then I don't know if adding a new key would be viable for implementation on console controls.

Edited by Ryme

On 9/25/2016 at 8:44 AM, Very_Melon said:

Here's an idea: how about DE finally learns that making mods as band-aids for inherent gameplay design faults is an awful thing to do?

Pretty sure Vacuum was never a bandaid and was just an option for you to use. You pick up loot fine without it.

I'll give my own input too.

Universal Vacuum

I honestly don't like the recurrent idea of an universal vacuum for warframes, mainly because it takes out an important mechanic of the game. Warframe is not just a fast paced shooter on which you go ahead and kill everything fast and that's all . There are different missions for a reason and there are also several alternative ways of completing them. You can try going fully into stealth and kill all of the enemies sneakily or, for example, in the defense/control-related missions you can try to buy time with crowd-control instead of bluntily murdering everything. I do see a lot of players just shooting constantly inside my Snow Globe (even to enemies that are already slowed), or going to kill all the enemies I inflicted with Chaos to make them fight each other, needlessly to say those that kills the ones Vauban traps. In my mind I see it as a waste, the mission is defending this objective for like 2 minutes and my strategy of just sitting there and enjoying the environment while killing whoever gets close feels more attractive tan just shooting endlessly to have a huge kill count. But you know what? That's totally fine, if they enjoy shooting endlessly and I enjoy my own pace, that's completely fine and we can totally co-exist and play together as comrades. I will still enjoy sitting there buying time while my comrade kills everything; he is enjoying his game of killing, I am enjoying my game of relaxing and just instakilling whoever gets too close (I like shotguns for a reason!), and as a matter of fact that other person is making my game even easier, while I am always there to support them through their reckless moves and protecting that Mirage with a barrier, being the tank to revive them if needed!

This is where my problem towards the universal vacuum stands. Sure, there are people that enjoy shooting endlessly and killing everything fast, but there are also some people that do enjoy taking their time and collecting things. Oh I play with a friend and there is nothing more amusing and also frustrating when they find a certain rare drop and I still have to rush to their position to get it too, sometimes even passing by and not seeing it! There is nothing more delighting than going over the ítem and picking it up myself, or killing an enemy, roll to get the ítem and just mind my business, like a sort of mockery to the enemy; this is how I play and I feel an universal vacuum will kill that for me.

The problem is that the universal vacuum will be total waste of health and energy is real. I was with my friend farming and he was a Nekros, and as usual there was one of this toxic aura enemies that dealt damage over time while I had my Carrier. Eh...let's say I was seeing health orbs being collected for amounts that pass over 600 health, when the damage I had when I grabbed each of those health orb couldn't be much more than 1, 2 or 3 health points, so yeah, but it's not the only problem. For me, there is also the fun of collecting things.

And sure, those that don't like to collect can make use of Carrier, or this new universal mod, to serve them well. That's fine, that's just the fun of playing our own game, but don't ask for something that would negatively affect a group of players when there is very little benefit from it. Sure, with universal vacuum for warframes you won't need to get a Carrier (or the new mod) and.....that's pretty much it. I mean, I don't think a lot of players take care to use every single sentinel slot properly or add the needed formas for that, and even then I think it's a pretty fair exchange that you have to actually put that mod in a slot to have that passive so you lose the chance to use that slot for something else. It's natural! All benefits must have a cost even if small, otherwise it would be just too easy to have it set all the time. Plus, come on...sentinels have eight slot, the cost of opportunity of that is close to non-existent.

Three Vacuum

As for the three versions of the Vacuum that are being planned I do find it an interesting idea, though of course I also fear it a little. I mean, if the planned Vacuum are intended to be one for resources, one for ammo and one for energy/health orbs then it's plainly awful, because then it will be certainly restrictive and would hurt those that actually love Vacuum as it is.

If the idea is that, for example, one of the mods is like an 'all-around' that lets you pick everything while the other two versions are more like 'I work just for picking these' and 'I work for picking these others' then that would be awesome. Being able to tell my sentinel that I just want material-resources and don't waste other needed resources (*cough* life supports) it would kinda cool. I am pretty sure the sentinel is able to recognize the matter of an energy orb and a few bullets from a little purple crystal or an ancient cell, so there. I do think the best number would be 2 (two) instead, though, as there is no reason to think people wouldn't want to get the rare resources if they decide to invest in a Vacuum slot; the only difference would be if that mod drags the other kind of mission-only resources like health orbs, energy orbs, ammo and please, also life support.

Carrier New Precepts

Finally, I would like to talk about what Carrier could have as new precepts. It's a Carrier, so him having a mod that increases our bullet pool is just, well, meant to be from the beginning honestly, and that would put Carrier, at least in high missions, at the same level of the other sentinels (I still believe Djinn is the best sentinel, at least for my own style).

However, I don't like much the idea of adding a mutation ammo precept to it. The reason is basically because there are already three ways to regain ammo. The easiest one is the ammo restorer, but let's focus on the other two. Warframes do have auras to increase the amount of ammo picked for certain weapons and I have to say I have never seen that aura mod used by anyone, I myself wouldn't use it and the reason it's because it's just kinda lame compared to the amazing stats other aura mods give. The third option is the ammo mutation mods, for which some even have Prime versions. Some might argue it's useless to waste a slot mod of a weapon to add those, but my response is that you don't need to! You can just put those specific ammo mutation mods to the sentinel's weapon (assuming you got all the sentinel weapons to be able to use each mod required the situation) and it works perfectly, plus it's not like the sentinels weapon deal any damage to begin with, so it doesn't hurt them. Some might also argue that you can only put one kind of mutation mod to that weapon, but then again, normally it's one of the weapons you use that requires ammo, not every single one.

So the problem is that having so many different escapes from the issue already, I don't think giving Carrier that precept would be a good idea. It will, honestly, basically keep Carrier as one of the most used sentinels, just that the reason will be the Ammo Mutation instead of the Vacuum. I feel Carrier deserves something a bit more unique. I have a few ideas on my mind I can give:

1) Enhance Simaris's mod for carrier, making it so not only shoot containers, but also goes to slowly open some cabinets, so you don't need to walk towards all of them at least.

2) Make it so Carrier, well, works as a Carrier with a ''Pick-up'' precept, on which he actually grabs the ammo and stores it for you (probably showing a little animation and even carrying them above him or well somewhere) and when you need it you can interact with him, either by him moving side by side to you (as opposed to sentinels always floating above us) for you to be able to press E on him or just having a special button or gesture you could make for him to drop the ammo for you to grab. Not only will that prevent wasted ammo, it would also avoid the need of a Vacuum for ammo related purposes and well, it would be cool, like being able to do it just when you run out of ammo, to think you can trust the little boy.

But those are just suggestions I can come up with now, there are a lot of other options to choose from. I just would like some a littler fresher.

And that's pretty much it, thanks for those that did took their time to read my post, I appreciate it.

>Ahem<

I don't use Carrier. I prefer Sentinels with long ranges so that they can easily apply blast procs to enemies from a safe distance.

I understand this change is coming, and I understand why people could get upset about it, and if it does end up getting changed I won't bat an eye.

However, this doesn't change the fact that I see a 'universal vacuum' (i.e. Warframes) as incredibly superfluous and unnecessary.

@DE 

First off, I love this game, I've been playing for exactly 106 days, logging in every day (should be some greater bonuses for consecutive logins please), I've bought 3 of 4 steam packs, and 3 of the biggest platinum packs in that time. I want to see this game succeed I'm invested emotionally, physically, temporally, and financially.

This vacuum issue is one that needs much more open communication from your side I believe.

I think the community, at least those vocal minority responding here, are overwhelmingly in favour of universal vacuum of some form. So this leads to multiple questions I have:

1) What is the resistance at DE to implement a universal vacuum? I don't think this has been communicated before, and because of that the goals and outcomes are unclear, which leads to a lack of confidence in the design process (especially after the 'lets split vacuum into 3' idea).

2) Why do majority of people use Carrier/Prime? I'd wager the obvious answer is it's health and vacuum. Even if all sentinels had vacuum its most probable that Carrier/Prime would still be the most used because of its durability. People want their sentinel to survive. Until new prime sentinels come out with greater health/armour this will always be the case that people go for the most likely to survive. Sure some people will change, but Carrier/Prime will still be the most used until that is addressed.

3) By the Beard of Zeus what possible design process and rationale led to the idea of vacuum being split into three? I'm relieved that this decision is being reconsidered, but it would be great to know why that was thought it would make people use Carrier/Prime less.

4) What are the actual stats for sentinel use? Per mission type? Per player level?

5) What are the statistics on sentinel survival? Per mission type? Per player level?

6) What is rationale for not sharing full sentinel usage statistics with the the community? This would go a long way towards establishing trust, especially if you are using the argument that 'statistics show we need change X'

Anyway DE, those are my questions. Apologies if any of the above have been communicated before and I missed it, which is probably due to me playing the game.

For the record I'd like to please keep vacuum on Carrier/Prime, or make a universal one for all sentinels.

Loyal Viggo

-Leave Carrier exactly as it is now. 

-Do not give players any additional vacuum methods

-Change mods and resources to be universal, like credits, so we don't have to worry about missing something everyone else got.

It's bad enough to have .2% drop rates on mods we desperately want.  Do not compound this with a pointless chance we just missed it drop.

having it universal to frames is probably the best solution for convenience, having It as one mod for all companions is good for a mix between convenience and strategy (conversion mods, focus n arcanes that share orbs, etc) but 3 mods is realistically bad for most people, its less efficient and less convenient than what we currently have, and it doesn't solve any problems. Breaking good things to make the least used things in the game look less insignificant by comparison isn't an acceptable alternative to actually fixing things or improving those less used items.

the way that I look at it, if we get the 3 mods the way DE described, we are basically getting punked. Its a bad joke. The one thing that 90 percent of the community uses constantly would then take 3 times the mod space to use, the people that are looking for some improvement to kubrows/kavats are left in the wind, even the carrier will have to make sacrifices to its builds to vaccuum at its current level, anyone that wanted to have vaccuum on a Helios or other sentiel is kinda out of luck there cuz you're gonna have to sacrifice survival mods and that sentinels gonna die. Which is a shame because you probably have almost every slot formad just to fit a mod in each slot... N now they want 3 more taken up to fill the role of 1.

I think only 4 people are happy with this solution n its because basically, "screw carrier, I dont use it", "I like picking stuff up manually", and "so I can vaccuum without picking up health n energy orbs" plus that one guy who I'm pretty sure just wants us all to suffer.

the other 95% of us want universal carrier either on the frame or a single all companion mod. So DE make a poll, have 3 options, a) universal on frame, b) single all companion mod, c) the DE 3 mods "solution"

I personally think there should be community polls on alot of things. Implement it in game, each account can only vote once, pops up at login when there's a new poll, put in a link to whatever megathread is running on the subject so people can see what the sides n opinions are. Boom, more quality, more community involvement, less rage from the community over ill thought out "fixes" that don't fix anything, it would even be a decent way of figuring out console specific things, like what should the next prestige/renown pack be.

PS. for the people that like the idea of wasting two mods slots to have vaccuum NOT pick up health n energy, why not make a mod/augment that stops orb pick up by vaccuum.

Edited by (XB1)ashes of suvius

1) make Vacuum universal (either frames or companions)

2) FIX THE ENERGY AND HEALTH ORB DROPS SO THEY ONLY GET PICKED UP PAST A CERTAIN THRESHOLD OF REMAINING RESOURCE ie. dont pick it up if its higher than what would be refilled.

example numbers are ofc the non modded values...but that still doesnt change the issue.

300/300 HP...if it drops below 275/300 then pick it up, else bring it to the player but dont activate.

Energy: depending on which orb it is (I've had some orbs that give 50 energy instead of the normal 25) if energy drops below 275/300 then pick up orb (or 250/300 if a 50 energy orb), else bring it to the player but dont activate

How hard is it to fix that kind of stuff so we arent wasting the orbs on a single point of hp or energy?

Edited by xcynderx

3 hours ago, xcynderx said:

1) make Vacuum universal (either frames or companions)

2) FIX THE ENERGY AND HEALTH ORB DROPS SO THEY ONLY GET PICKED UP PAST A CERTAIN THRESHOLD OF REMAINING RESOURCE ie. dont pick it up if its higher than what would be refilled.

example numbers are ofc the non modded values...but that still doesnt change the issue.

300/300 HP...if it drops below 275/300 then pick it up, else bring it to the player but dont activate.

Energy: depending on which orb it is (I've had some orbs that give 50 energy instead of the normal 25) if energy drops below 275/300 then pick up orb (or 250/300 if a 50 energy orb), else bring it to the player but dont activate

How hard is it to fix that kind of stuff so we arent wasting the orbs on a single point of hp or energy?

They mentioned something like this a long time ago.  Roughly the choice was, while it is an action game, the choice to pick up orbs is yours.  You have to avoid them if you don't want to use them too quickly.  You have to watch your health and energy because you are supposed to be that good.

Things may have changed, but it still seems like a decent enough system.  Only use orbs when they will be good for you.  Try to not use them otherwise.  Not everything should be handled for the players.

11 hours ago, JHarlequin said:

They mentioned something like this a long time ago.  Roughly the choice was, while it is an action game, the choice to pick up orbs is yours.  You have to avoid them if you don't want to use them too quickly.  You have to watch your health and energy because you are supposed to be that good.

Things may have changed, but it still seems like a decent enough system.  Only use orbs when they will be good for you.  Try to not use them otherwise.  Not everything should be handled for the players.

I'm really not trying to be rude here but do you understand the conversation going on? This isn't about what people should do, or how they play, its about in game mechanics changing, and how it affects what people do and how they play. Its not people asking for a change. DE plans on making a change that quite alot of us are unhappy about, and this thread is a conversation about doing it better because quite frankly, many of the community ideas and the way it is now are both better than the proposed change.

you might already understand all of that, but your post made it seem (at least to me) like you don't and just read part of one persons post about energy orbs. Out of the proposed solutions from the community (and seemingly a very popular one) is a universal vaccuum on your frames, which would mean the "try not to use orbs when not needed" thing would literally not be doable, which is part of why i say make it one universal companion mod n give people that don't want orb pick up an augment for the ability. Honestly though, as long as this gets handled any other way than DEs 3 mod BS, ill be happy. Well maybe not happy, I still think this whole thing came up right in the middle of the 'bringing back endgame' debate a little too conveniently. Almost like DE wanted a problem they can fix (lets mess up vaccuum, ok we're not messing up vaccuum) to distract us from a problem they cant fix immediately (endgame n the lack there of, the fact the endless void kept alot of long standing tenno here, the fact they are losing players and content creators over it, and that they have no clue what to do about it without undoing part of the specters of the rail changes)

but I digress, I dont think DE is against us, just misguided and in over their heads sometimes... And sometimes unreasonably unresponsive to what they know they community wants, which makes no sense for such a community based game. *couch* dojo love *cough*

anyhoooo, I'm gonna go try to hunt down the elusive nauseous crawler eximus for my codex like I do everyday... One day, one day ill find you...

Edited by (XB1)ashes of suvius

The question is simple:

Now the Carrier is useful, the other sentinels are useless ...

Why that? Because Vacuum power is really useful and comfortable, especially for high level players. Stepping over each resources is really boring and slow. And you don't have time to catch it during a mission. So the vacuum is something that all player need.

Giving that to all players (maybe can be powerful as the master rank grows up?) is the best solution, so the other sentinels return to have some kind of benefit.

Edited by Cougar84

id rather see something like

carrier has the a larger vacuum 10-15m and a passive of his vacuum being affected by radar mods while the other sentinels have a static 5-10m vacuum

as for precepts

id like to see one precept like equilibrium, one that increase the ammo he picks up by 100%, and one that can pull weapons out of an enemies hands

On 9/28/2016 at 9:54 AM, (XB1)ashes of suvius said:

Out of the proposed solutions from the community (and seemingly a very popular one) is a universal vaccuum on your frames, which would mean the "try not to use orbs when not needed" thing would literally not be doable

with all do Respect you are wrong , if DE makes it a Frame based passive and Adds in an Options section in the "Options" menu for "vacuum" and in that area List Each Drop type letting you Pick and choose what items we want sucked up, it would in fact fix the issue you are talking about while keeping the Quoted players ideal play style in tact
P.S. try Orokin Derelict Sab missions for your crawler as thats where i got my 3 scans , kill a room , go to another, look for your crawler. if its not there repeat.

Edited by (PS4)IrSchm33