Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sixty5's IT Helpdesk

Sixty5

I work in the IT industry and have gotten a bit more free time right now, so I figured I'd open this up. 

If you are having computer troubles, and need a hand, drop a comment here and I'll see what I can do to help. Hell, I'll even walk you through installing your printer.

Normally I'd charge a pretty penny for this stuff, but because you guys are awesome, I'll do it for free as long as you draw me a picture of your favourite warframe (quality is not required)

Be aware that I can't help with everything, like if you are running AMD components in your pc, but I'll do the best I can. 

Also, before posting, try turning it off and then on again. 

5 minutes ago, (PS4)eyepet2002 said:

A little tip though: If you think you have malware, never reboot. That's how a lot of payloads can be triggered.

In my experience anyone who gets that sort of malware onto their computer already has a bunch of other nasties.

In the case of an encryption virus or the like you would be right, but in 99% of cases a reboot is fine

1 hour ago, Deshiel said:

I run 64bit windows OS. I have 2x DDR2 2GB RAMS which should give 4GB of RAM at my disposal.

System only registers 3. Dunno when it happened, but it wasnt always like that.

Are you running them in the proper channels?

The other thing I'd check is where it is showing 3GB is available

I'd check your task manager and system pages for what they show

70V9UC0.png

Alternatively it could be that your RAM is wearing out, or needs to be reseated.

I'd recommend that before anything else.

Ok, so... I have a problem with my graphics card.

I recently changed my computer for one with really good specs. Among them, a GTX 960 GPU (also 16 GB of RAM and a sixth generation i7 3.40 GHz CPU. It was put together with the individual parts by the store I got it from). I thought naturally I should be able to run everything on ultra.

But when I started playing the games I have, it would set everything to the minimum possible resolutions. I checked the NVIDIA pannel and it just gives me an error message saying "you are not currently using a video connected to an NVIDIA GPU."

So I went and checked the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to see which GPU was being used, and it turns out my computer is not using the GTX I have installed at all. It is seemingly using a Intel(R) HD Graphics 530.

So why is my computer not using the good graphics card I have, and how can I fix this?

Thank you for your time.

1 hour ago, Gorila_Azul said:

I recently changed my computer for one with really good specs. Among them, a GTX 960 GPU (also 16 GB of RAM and a sixth generation i7 3.40 GHz CPU. It was put together with the individual parts by the store I got it from). I thought naturally I should be able to run everything on ultra.

But when I started playing the games I have, it would set everything to the minimum possible resolutions. I checked the NVIDIA pannel and it just gives me an error message saying "you are not currently using a video connected to an NVIDIA GPU."

So I went and checked the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to see which GPU was being used, and it turns out my computer is not using the GTX I have installed at all. It is seemingly using a Intel(R) HD Graphics 530.

So why is my computer not using the good graphics card I have, and how can I fix this?

Thank you for your time.

Well that's easy. They fudged up part of the installation or it's loose.

I think you owe me a pic.

14 minutes ago, OverlordMcGeek said:

I think you owe me a pic.

Of the computer's interior?

By the way, I think it's worth mentioning: I'm using said computer plugged into my TV through an HDMI cable alone. Could that be causing the problem?

Edited by Gorila_Azul

7 minutes ago, Gorila_Azul said:

Of the computer's interior?

By the way, I think it's worth mentioning: I'm using said computer plugged into my TV through an HDMI cable alone. Could that be causing the problem?

Of your favorite warframe drawn a'la OP.

No clue. I wish I was as lucky in RL as I am with RNGesus. I kid you not. Every single hdmi cable I have ever handled haven't worked properly. This of my own with my computer or that of friends. That is about 15 of them, 4 of which were brand new.

11 hours ago, Gorila_Azul said:

Thank you for your time.

First thing I'd check is that your hdmi cable is plugged into a port on your graphics card and not one on the motherboard.

Secondly I'd check your graphics properties (right click on desktop to access menu) and see what your profiles are set to. Sometimes stuff can default to internal graphics fir stupid reasons. 

If that doesn't work, I'd run a clean install of the card. For that I run Display Driver Uninstaller 

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

It does a better job of cleaning stuff out than the defaulr windows uninstaller. Just start in safe mode, run the program, restart and install the latest drivers. 

4 hours ago, Sixty5 said:

First thing I'd check is that your hdmi cable is plugged into a port on your graphics card and not one on the motherboard.

Secondly I'd check your graphics properties (right click on desktop to access menu) and see what your profiles are set to. Sometimes stuff can default to internal graphics fir stupid reasons. 

If that doesn't work, I'd run a clean install of the card. For that I run Display Driver Uninstaller 

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

It does a better job of cleaning stuff out than the defaulr windows uninstaller. Just start in safe mode, run the program, restart and install the latest drivers. 

Ok, thank you very much. I'll get around to it when I have time.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate having to pester people like this, but, I'm a bit at the end of my rope. Recently, my computer began suffering a horrific case of something called "UNBOOTABLE". No matter what I do, the computer always starts up to this phrase. All literature I've read has told me that the only hope is to restore it to factory standard. Is that true? Must I loose 6 years of projects?

Edited by Unus

On 24/09/2016 at 10:55 AM, Sixty5 said:

It was exactly that. Also, the graphics card port was capped for some stupid reason. Thank you very much for the help.

10 hours ago, Unus said:

I hate having to pester people like this, but, I'm a bit at the end of my rope. Recently, my computer began suffering a horrific case of something called "UNBOOTABLE". No matter what I do, the computer always starts up to this phrase. All literature I've read has told me that the only hope is to restore it to factory standard. Is that true? Must I loose 6 years of projects?

What sort of screen do you get when you are trying to boot?

If you can, I'd suggest going into BIOS and seeing if you can see the hard drive there, and check that all of your settings are correct, I've seen a number of computers in the past that have lost CMOS power and decided to switch around a bunch of stuff causing boot issues.

I can give you a bit more specific help if I get a few more details, such as the age of the computer, what operating system you are running and the exact nature of the error screen that you are getting.

If a computer is not booting it is one of three things:

Hardware fault, most likely in the HDD, but possibly also a bad CMOS battery or RAM failure

An bad boot config, as in settings in the bios are causing boot issues

A bad boot sector, this is a tricky one, it can usually be fixed if you have a recovery disk or are able to access the recovery sector in windows 8 or 10.

9 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

How do I download more RAM?

http://downloadmoreram.com/

Or just buy it like a normal person

2 minutes ago, Sixty5 said:

What sort of screen do you get when you are trying to boot?

If you can, I'd suggest going into BIOS and seeing if you can see the hard drive there, and check that all of your settings are correct, I've seen a number of computers in the past that have lost CMOS power and decided to switch around a bunch of stuff causing boot issues.

I can give you a bit more specific help if I get a few more details, such as the age of the computer, what operating system you are running and the exact nature of the error screen that you are getting.

If a computer is not booting it is one of three things:

Hardware fault, most likely in the HDD, but possibly also a bad CMOS battery or RAM failure

An bad boot config, as in settings in the bios are causing boot issues

A bad boot sector, this is a tricky one, it can usually be fixed if you have a recovery disk or are able to access the recovery sector in windows 8 or 10.

http://downloadmoreram.com/

Or just buy it like a normal person

Well, judging by the dieing screech/grind of the fan as the printer spat papers in a satanic manner 3 hours ago, I'm gonna say. . . hardware fault.

All the same, many thanks for your wisdom, I wish I knew of your existence before.

Edited by Unus

6 minutes ago, Unus said:

Well, judging by the dieing screech/grind of the fan as the printer spat papers in a satanic manner 3 hours ago, I'm gonna say. . . hardware fault.

All the same, many thanks for your wisdom, I wish I knew of your existence before.

If you have a second PC handy you can always try running the hard drive on that to see if you can access any files on it. 

Just mount it in a cradle or as a secondary hard drive and see if it shows up.