[DE]Rebecca

Sept 24. Weekend Connectivity Issues.

1 hour ago, Cowdouken said:

lets focus on the topic, shall we?

Yeah... that got derailed, I apologize. However, I believe my point-of-view and my reasoning is sound and valid. I don't have the exact numbers but I'm estimating that 1000s of players were experiencing network connectivity issues across all platforms. In fact entire regions had outages like in South America. These people missed out on the weekend events, Baro and Acolytes. Double Whammy. That's bad. There are shiney new games and DLCs out and coming out. XCOM2 is looking great and there are rumors that Xbox will get the Fallout 4 "console mods" treatment for XCOM2, since the modding community on PC is so enthusiastic.

Seriously though, if DE lets this slide without throwing customers a bone on this one... this close to TWW. It won't be good.

Edited by (XB1)TexasBotHurt

51 minutes ago, (XB1)TexasBotHurt said:

Yeah... that got derailed, I apologize. However, I believe my point-of-view and my reasoning is sound and valid. I don't have the exact numbers but I'm estimating that 1000s of players were experiencing network connectivity issues across all platforms. In fact entire regions had outages like in South America. These people missed out on the weekend events, Baro and Acolytes. Double Whammy. That's bad. There are shiney new games and DLCs out and coming out. XCOM2 is looking great and there are rumors that Xbox will get the Fallout 4 "console mods" treatment for XCOM2, since the modding community on PC is so enthusiastic.

Seriously though, if DE lets this slide without throwing customers a bone on this one... this close to TWW. It won't be good.

I apologize as well.  I do agree that, with all of the negativity circling TWW's delays, lack of compensation would come off horribly.  And I'll admit, when I couldn't log in on the PC due to network issues, I went and played other games as well.  I do also believe that, while not everyone is acting entitled, a few did.  Perhaps I did overreact, though.  Truce?

• Upvote 1

Here's a thought just tailor-made to cause a delicious salty asploshun (which may be why I love it!) but I can't resist throwing it out there:

For the players who have supported this FTP game by spending at least $XX.00 on it, DE will give some sort of chatchki as compensation for down time.  For those players who haven't financially supported the game (i.e., haven't spent at least $XX.00 on it) they get a sincere apology from DE...and that's it.

I mean, that's fair, right?  You spend nothing, you get nothing.  You support the game with actual money, you get something of value in return when DE gets attacked by outside actors or otherwise experiences some kind of problem.

I say this knowing DE would never agree to it.  But it does cut right to the heart of the matter, doesn't it?  The attack(s) weren't DE's fault, but some Tenno believe that because they couldn't continue to get something for nothing (i.e., play WF for free) somebody somewhere owes them something, and DE is right here, so let's see if we can get DE to make it up to us for what the attackers caused.

15 minutes ago, FierceRadiance said:

Here's a thought just tailor-made to cause a delicious salty asploshun (which may be why I love it!) but I can't resist throwing it out there:

For the players who have supported this FTP game by spending at least $XX.00 on it, DE will give some sort of chatchki as compensation for down time.  For those players who haven't financially supported the game (i.e., haven't spent at least $XX.00 on it) they get a sincere apology from DE...and that's it.

I mean, that's fair, right?  You spend nothing, you get nothing.  You support the game with actual money, you get something of value in return when DE gets attacked by outside actors or otherwise experiences some kind of problem.

I say this knowing DE would never agree to it.  But it does cut right to the heart of the matter, doesn't it?  The attack(s) weren't DE's fault, but some Tenno believe that because they couldn't continue to get something for nothing (i.e., play WF for free) somebody somewhere owes them something, and DE is right here, so let's see if we can get DE to make it up to us for what the attackers caused.

What imaginary attackers? The Russians again? Your idea is just plain bad, as is you spreading a false rumor of what happened? There was no "attack" the servers just went down. It happens. But alienating a good chunk of their players who *may yet still spend* this close to a MAJOR update... it's just not smart.

2 hours ago, (XB1)TexasBotHurt said:

What imaginary attackers? The Russians again? Your idea is just plain bad, as is you spreading a false rumor of what happened? There was no "attack" the servers just went down. It happens. But alienating a good chunk of their players who *may yet still spend* this close to a MAJOR update... it's just not smart.

Well, I based my assumption (and it is an assumption) on Rebecca's statement:

"We are working with our infrastructure partners to resolve issues with connectivity in certain regions.  We're sorry for the bad timing and frustration as we're split across the continents but we have brains and fingers working to resolve at our home base." 

"Connectivity" implies some kind of outside attack to me, especially if it was regional--but I could be wrong.  From my limited understanding of such things, it also looked a lot like other DDoS attacks I've been a victim of.  My bad (possibly).

Since you brought it up, where does your statement that it was a massive simultaneous server outage come from? Has DE made a statement about the source of the problem? I hadn't read anything confirming that, but I didn't do an exhaustive search (assuming in my arrogance that I already knew what the issue was)....

EDIT: I just love hearing that "If DE would just do this, players MIGHT spend.." argument.  Uh-huh, yup, it's possible, sure is.  So, just to be fair, let's make a slight modification to the proposal: for not spending, you get nothing.  But if you DO spend in the future, you might get something...in the future.  Same argument as yours, just reversed, so it's still fair, right? Or maybe "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today" doesn't sound as tasty when you're the one fronting the burger money and hoping to get paid back down the road.

If players want to support the game -and I hope they think this game is worthy of their financial support- then let them buy Plat.  If they don't want to buy Plat, that's perfectly fine, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that decision. But what's frustrating to me is when people who have currently contributed nothing start asking for freebies.  To me, THAT seems unfair.

Edited by FierceRadiance

A follow up to the connectivity issues over the weekend has been posted by [DE]Drew and can be found here:

• Upvote 2

Heyo there guys , is anyone able to start the game today ? I was still getting "network not responding" error in game last night , occasional game freeze or loading screen stuck and launcher getting stuck at "checking for updates", so i decided to let the game reinstall when i went to sleep , but now after starting the launcher its stays on "checking for updates" then proceed to give me the following : 

Update failed!

The content servers are temporarily unavailable.

ERROR_INTERNET_TIMEOUT

The update will be restarted shortly..

Edited by x0Zeref0x