Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Maroo's Ayatan Mission

Noamuth

The missions themselves aren't that bad (who am I kidding?  They're bad if you're not a veteran.) but the process of starting the mission is tedious, especially if you failed it, multiple times.

• Load in
  • Run to Maroo
  • Wait for [X] Talk to appear, 'cause lag of dozens of players standing in front of her
  • Sit through repetitive dialogue (I have this memorized already and it hasn't been more than a week)
  • Select Ayatan mission
  • Confirm that you want the Ayatan mission
  • No really, I want to do that Ayaten mission
  • Fail mission because there's no way of knowing which vault I'm in, so I can't even Google it to get a clue on how to proceed
  • Fail because there is no timer present on the screen to indicate that the vault portion is even timed and you have no way of practising these tests
  • Start at "Load in" and repeat 2-5 times
  • Give up on the 6th attempt because I have better things to do than raise my blood pressure and break my keyboard

DE, please make this mission a bit more new player friendly.  If this is meant for veteran players, then put a MR lock on it or something.  But please please please, at the very least, put the vault timer on the screen and actually give us some time to figure out how to navigate the vaults.  Maybe put the pedestal the Ayatan on on a timer, so if you don't reach it in time, it disappears but players are still able to explore the vaults.

inb4 "git gud" "It's for vets"

want to practice them? go to the void, all they did was talk the void treasure rooms and put a sculpture in it in Maroo's mission. they'll show up in any void mission, besides defence and interception for obvious reasons, you just have to find them on your own. of course theres a few different ones you could get  tho. oh, and there is a timer, its just not a visual one, its an audio one

3 minutes ago, Viltemri said:

Not the Void missions I have access to.  

Ta da, still no way of practising the tests.

All void missions can have parkour room tiles, which are the same courses that you run through to complete ayatan missions. They're off the beaten path, so you'll have to explore a little bit, but they are fairly likely to spawn.

1 minute ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Let people restart the mission from the summary screen (or better yet, make it a quest-like thing, show it as an alert etc.) and give Maroo ONE SINGLE OPTION in her dialogue menu for it. Problem solved.

Yes please.

I'd be far less annoyed if it was easier to restart the missions.

I can agree on the dialogue not being able to be skipped - this really should always be an option in games and the only time when skipping shouldn't occur is when the information is important or required to some degree.
The void puzzles/obstacle courses are quite old and are in need of a revamp to make them less of a secret feature and more of a feature that is integral to the game. Having a timer pop up on the HUD would be a step in the right direction.

Why not ask for help / teachings?

I helped my whole clan doing it, each one of them.

And if anyone would come up to me to ask for help doing it, I'd do it for them then teach how to run it. Or just teach and let you do it in the end.

1 hour ago, Manyc said:

Why not ask for help / teachings?

I helped my whole clan doing it, each one of them.

And if anyone would come up to me to ask for help doing it, I'd do it for them then teach how to run it. Or just teach and let you do it in the end.

Because the community shouldn't be picking up the slack of poor game design?  Because the community at large has totally ignored my repeated requests for help completing normal missions?  Because the two clans I joined were either totally silent when I asked questions or simply said "google it" or "make some friends"?

You're an awesome player who goes the extra mile for people, awesome, clone yourself and make sure there are at least 20 of you on at all times.  

Seriously, this is a bad design.  DE is relying on it's community to bandage bad choices.  The videos provided by @TrueHawkEye are helpful, but I shouldn't have to ask others how to do this, it should be in game.  In my 6 years of gaming, this is the first game I've come across that does such horrible tutorials and explanations. 

47 minutes ago, ------ArtOfViolence----- said:

Git gud, its for vets.  Seriously the rooms aren't that hard.  Just explore normal void missions and get used to them first.  Why do you people always want everything free, fast, and easy?  Put a little effort in. You shouldn't need a guide or google or youtube to figure this out. 

Please see my very first line, where I said that it's easy if you're a vet.

At no point did I say I wanted it free nor fast, I said I wanted better explanation and less aggravation.   I said I wanted more user friendly options, like either being able to do practice runs (as has been pointed out, the Void) or by being able to explore the Vaults after a failed mission.  Or simply having a visible timer, so we don't have to ask the community why I inexplicably fail a mission 3 times in a row.

And since it's available to a MR4, it's not veteran content and should be fully explained or have a MR cap put on it, so that it truly is veteran content. 

1 hour ago, Viltemri said:

In my 6 years of gaming, this is the first game I've come across that does such horrible tutorials and explanations. 

The context within which you're saying this makes this more petulant than anything else. You honestly expect the game to give you a tutorial on an obstacle course? Trial and error-- after your first failure due to time you now know that there's a time limit. Next time around, explore and see what's open when you're running around as quickly as possible. Oh man, there's a door that's slowly closing! Next time around you rush to that door. Then you refine it until you've perfected it.

These things don't need tutorials. They are the basics of gaming.

The obstacle courses existing in the Void, for practice, is also not something that you need a tutorial on. The community is what decided that rushing through every map was the norm, not DE. They expected you to explore their maps and learn the secrets. Exploration is not something you need a tutorial on.

47 minutes ago, Chipputer said:

The context within which you're saying this makes this more petulant than anything else. You honestly expect the game to give you a tutorial on an obstacle course? Trial and error-- after your first failure due to time you now know that there's a time limit. Next time around, explore and see what's open when you're running around as quickly as possible. Oh man, there's a door that's slowly closing! Next time around you rush to that door. Then you refine it until you've perfected it.

These things don't need tutorials. They are the basics of gaming.

The obstacle courses existing in the Void, for practice, is also not something that you need a tutorial on. The community is what decided that rushing through every map was the norm, not DE. They expected you to explore their maps and learn the secrets. Exploration is not something you need a tutorial on.

Interesting that you chose to interpret my response as petulant, and then also chose to response in a condescending and patronizing manner. 

I can only assume that you're attaching a child like tone to my posts because I'm a new player with a low post count.

To clear some things up.

Yes, you are correct and those are logical actions.  However, you failed to take into account that the entirety of my Void access is via Phobos (a rank 10-15 planet) and I'm only 1 mission into said Void.  And, Maroo's Bazaar, where you get the Ayatan missions, is located on Earth, the starting planet.

How am I supposed to know that I have to work my way through the star system to reach the Void, to practice loot rooms, that I don't know to even look for, if the game doesn't provide a basic tutorial?  Not even a hint that there are other locations for me to practice?

This isn't about making the game easier, so some new player can waltz through the content easily, this is about providing clear and understandable tutorials.

Edited by Viltemri
Clarification.

14 hours ago, Viltemri said:

How am I supposed to know that I have to work my way through the star system to reach the Void, to practice loot rooms, that I don't know to even look for, if the game doesn't provide a basic tutorial?  Not even a hint that there are other locations for me to practice?

And for those who don't know this, there is always talking to Maroo a second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth or infinitive'th time to where you can repeat said challenge until you actually complete it.  As for the OP, I agree that it should be simpler to start the mission.

Idk your definition of 'vet', but most the times parkour is only tied to how much the player is willing to practice it.  You could be MR 0 and perform the same bullet-jump aim-glide wall-run wall-latch bullet-jump aim-glide combo's that a MR 22 (and eventually MR 30) can.  The tutorial 'advanced movement' found in the codex gives you absolutely every bit of knowledge you need to easily beat these parkour challenges (aside from cryo walls/floors, which after you encounter them should be apparent what they do).

Sure advanced movement doesn't really teach you that performing a roll mid-air will speed you up a small bit, but that isn't too necessary in most the parkour rooms because it's usefulness is tied to long straight stretches due to the time it takes to perform the animation.

Also, while the game doesn't point it out explicitly(from what I know) most all parkour related objects have visual indicators tied to them( most wall runs have streak marks).

My advice would be to practice parkour in all mission types until you get the hang of it, when going from Point A to B try and make it as fun as you can if you aren't on a timer in a normal mission. Doing a mobile defence? While you're on your way to the next terminal try to practice along the way, doing an exterminate? Same thing try and kill enemies with wall latches and wall attacks with your melee 'run along the wall and hit melee you'll dash off the wall and swipe with your melee weapon' things like that before you know it you'll be better at it.

On 9/28/2016 at 7:12 PM, Viltemri said:

I'm thankful that so many people are happy to give advice on this, the point of this feedback topic is that there should be more tutorials in the game so that new players don't have to rely on others to figure out how to play.

the first reply to your question was a statement that all the rooms are practice-able, and you seemingly dismissed it out of hand.

It's totally cool to expect and ask for help and feedback, but you can't dismiss our feedback too.

2 hours ago, Tobiah said:

the first reply to your question was a statement that all the rooms are practice-able, and you seemingly dismissed it out of hand.

It's totally cool to expect and ask for help and feedback, but you can't dismiss our feedback too.

I did not dismiss it, I pointed out that the maps I had available at the time the rooms weren't present, as far as I could tell, while responding in the same tone the initial post was made, and I later pointed at at no point does the game tell me to even look for rooms with timed descending walls, or even where to look for them.

This topic is about a lack of information that should keep new players informed and aid their progression.  I already pointed out that Maroo's Bazaaer is on the first planet, and there is no indication that the Ayatan missions are meant for veterans, and it's infuriating trying to run those missions not knowing I have the option of practising the vault before hand. 

If you feel feedback is being dismissed out of hand, fine.  But honestly, it feels like 90% of the posters here are looking at my noobishniss and are dismissing my feedback on a bad design because I'm not "vet" enough to give valid feedback.  Of the 22 posts in this thread, my own included, 10 of them are players telling me information that should be in the game in the first place.

So, since you seem to have dismissed my initial feedback out of hand, let me reiterate it; there needs to be more tutorials and better communication for new players, especially on the beginning planet - Earth. 

• 2 weeks later...

But... Maroo's mission is the tutorial. It's easily accessible to new players, you can run it over and over until you get it right, and there's a map marker showing you exactly where to go. The only real problem is having to sit through the dialogue over and over again. Possibly along with the fact that aside from Maroo's mission, there's really no reason to do the obstacle courses at all.

On 9/27/2016 at 1:12 AM, Viltemri said:

this is about providing clear and understandable tutorials.

People learned the vaults originally by finding them and practicing them till they had it. Maroo's mission is actually much faster for practicing them than the normal void missions are, because you have a guaranteed spawn and you don't need to look for it, plus there's no other mission to complete.

15 hours ago, Azrael said:

People learned the vaults originally by finding them and practicing them till they had it. Maroo's mission is actually much faster for practicing them than the normal void missions are, because you have a guaranteed spawn and you don't need to look for it, plus there's no other mission to complete.

This.

Vault rooms are supposed to be something akin to an easter egg, and you want a tutorial for those? Also, how do you think people are becoming veterans? They do the mission 100 times and learn, so should you. Your other points are completely valid, though.

P.S. What if i said there are orokin cat statuettes scattered throughout the planets in the dark corners of the map, and you need to find them? Have fun, just don't look for tutorials.