[DE]Drew

September 23 - 26th: DDoS, Recovery, and Next Steps.

Hello Tenno! 

The information below covers the DDoS attacks experienced over the weekend, our current efforts in Recovery, and what the Next Steps are for those that were affected by the downtime.

DDoS Recap:
On the night of the 23rd at around 7:00 PM EDT, “Network not Responding” messages were abundant for those attempting to login. This was the result of a series of DDoS attacks that were felt throughout the weekend on all platforms. The attacks were countered to the best of our ability, as we worked closely with our infrastructure partners to mitigate downtime and persisting login issues. We had managed to secure connectivity for the majority, but certain regions were still affected and hit harder than others. Specifically players in the South America regions who were caught in a 48 hour blackout period. 

While we’ve managed to deflect further attempts at siege, we are still seeing reports that login issues are lingering, but we suspect this could be due to collateral damage from our countermeasures stopping the attacks and was only temporary as connections returned to normal. 

The Recovery: 
After thorough investigation we found that in the grand scheme, a relatively small percentage of the Warframe community had been affected. While lucky the attacks were isolated, DDoSing is never taken lightly. Historically, anything that denies login access is treated with urgency. During and after this weekend’s events, measures have been taken to improve existing security while also looking into adding new means of protection. We can’t guarantee that attacks like these won’t happen again, but we’ll continue to do our best to prevent them whenever possible. 

Next Steps:
We value your patience while we fought tooth and nail. To show our appreciation, we are planning the following:

The peak of the DDoS attacks unfortunately interrupted Baro’s arrival, leaving many of you unable to shop his wares. As a result, we will be adding last week’s items in addition to Baro’s inventory on his next visit (in two weeks). 

• Upvote 63

The peak of the DDoS attacks unfortunately interrupted Baro’s arrival, leaving many of you unable to shop his wares. As a result, we will be adding last week’s items in addition to Baro’s inventory on his next visit (in two weeks). 

Thanks. But I think this will only cause even more DDoS.

Edited by Komodo_Saurian
  • Upvote 23

2 minutes ago, [DE]Drew said:

Thanks for looking out.

Thank you very much for the information! 

3 minutes ago, [DE]Drew said:

Annnnd thank you very very much again for the 'Baro-plan'. I was still able to get the items I wanted, but I know a lot of people out there who will be very happy to see that there will be another opportunity to get the items, SOON(tm) <3  
(lets see how it will go in 2 week ^-^)

Edited by Fabpsi
  • Upvote 4

Any chance for boosters being extended for those that where effected? I am not in south America but I during large chucks of the weekend I simply could not play becuse the network not responding would boot me from squad or even prevent me from  receiving rewards in solo play.

• Upvote 2

ive noticed that the number of DDos attacks exploded since last week against numerous franchises, hosts and systems. 

my only thought is there must have been a release of an easy kit. 

14492552_1299457243419957_5361886373537778236_n.png?oh=47d17bba67d0cbedf1b041d44f0585e6&oe=585F1AA6

stopping DDOS attacks are fairly simple if they are attacking an ip address (just disconnect the ingress and change your mac address/ip address), however if they are attacking a named address ie yourweb.net it can be aggravating, but still manageable.

Edited by (XB1)EternalDrk Mako
  • Upvote 1

It always feels like when Baro sells those Melee Stances that the ddos' appear. If its honestly someone upset that they are going down in price Ill laugh. Such a childish thing to do. Luckily for me I was barely effected. Snagged some mods for a friend~

7 minutes ago, -InV-Skitz0 said:

Any chance for boosters being extended for those that where effected? I am not in south America but I during large chucks of the weekend I simply could not play becuse the network not responding would boot me from squad or even prevent me from  receiving rewards in solo play.

Yea if DE is going to do this big favor by bringing baros stuff from his last visit to double up on his next visit when it was such a small percentage of people effected then why not extend peoples active boosters by two or three days. I was able to see and buy what i wanted from baro. I had many disconnection while playing and was unable to log in two or three different times so a baro revisit doesn't do anything for me.

33 minutes ago, xProdergy said:

Can't you hide the servers with a proxy etc? I'm no expert tho.

Then how would we connect? Login servers are public for a reason...

Edited by Skaleek

50 minutes ago, xProdergy said:

Hiding the server would not help. Basically think of it as a flood of people trying to login at once. It slows down the network right? That is basically what happens. It just makes it so no one else can attempt to access the data.

It was probably someone wanting to gain information from DE and could not via normal methods. They got irritated and threw a DDOS attack at them and was, apparently, successful to some small extent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

Thanks for the information about the DDOS attack. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, [DE]Drew said:

If the pattern holds, Larunda is gonna be crowded like crazy when Baro comes to town...

55 minutes ago, xProdergy said:

I'm no expert myself, but all that would do is add an unneeded stop for network traffic. Plus, it wouldn't be a proxy; it'd just be a middleman and, if someone DDoSes that, a two-way bottleneck. Now if you thought your connection was bad over the weekend, imagine what it'd be like with a proxied connection. That proxy'll get fried by all the traffic from both the players and the servers with the added weight of a DDoS.

1 hour ago, [DE]Drew said:

Thanks for that, any news on whether Acolytes will be brought back soon since this also affected that event.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to the DE team and their partners for doing their best to handle this in a timely manner. It's a shame how it affected people's boosters and their chances to slaughter acolytes but this kind of thing happens and was beyond their control.