Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vacuum mechanics aren't even needed, here's an orthogonal way to achieve the same effect

dadaddadada

Attracting items in a range is boring. Tl;dr at bottom.

The ability to pick up items if you walk over them stays unchanged, but to pick items at longer range, you have to aim at them.

This should be innate with pinpoint accuracy and no upper limit on range but with 1 meter punch-through in case of items stuck in geometry.
Once an item starts the floating animation, it continues even if you look away afterwards.

An exilus mod is responsible to upgrade the attraction speed and the diameter of the screen area around the center of the screen à-la Peacemaker
to allow more items to be triggered in a single quick mouse swipe.
Max area diameter could be 1 cm, more can be too much. Double it for gamepad/console players.

Pros:

- requires user interaction, difficult to exploit in farming scenarios

Cons:

- requires user interaction, needs at least 3 billion years of evolution to execute.

Optionally, this should be coupled with a rate balance pass such as: drops occur half as often, but yield twice the amount.

Pros:

- easier to locate resources you might need among others and can even be displayed as dots in the minimap altogether without clutter

- overall performance benefit of having half as many drops scattered on the floor.

Cons:

- alot of overfilling, might need overshield-like mechanics applied to ammo.

TL;DR:

Aim approximately at an item at any distance to attract it.
Innate, but upgradable with a mod.
Also, half as many drops, but worth double the amount.

4 minutes ago, dadaddadada said:

Attracting items in a range is boring.

Why? Why make things unnecessarily complicated?

I can understand if you do not like the idea of auto-attracting items. For that, you have a choice of not using Carrier(present time) or Vacuum type mods(future implementation). Or even let DE make it a toggle-able on Warframes, so you can toggle it off and I can toggle it on.

But if your idea is implemented, it takes away my choice. I, for one, can not be bothered on pointing towards loot when I can point towards enemies.

Millions of players are playing this game and they have their own idea of fun and boredom. Why are you suggesting to impose your idea of fun (picking up loot) on others?

I do not believe you understand why people use Carrier. It's about convenience. People want to play the game and fight enemies, not roleplay being a trash collector and watch the ground for stuff to pick up. Your idea is even worse than having no vacuum at all.

Edited by ----Fenrir----

2 minutes ago, ----Fenrir---- said:

I do not believe you understand why people use Carrier. It's about convenience. People want to play the game and fight enemies, not roleplay being a trash collector and watch the ground for stuff to pick up. Your idea is even worse than having no vacuum at all.

Also, This^.

8 minutes ago, ----Fenrir---- said:

Its the only reason I use carrier.

8 minutes ago, DEADSHOT456 said:

Why? Why make things unnecessarily complicated?

I can understand if you do not like the idea of auto-attracting items. For that, you have a choice of not using Carrier(present time) or Vacuum type mods(future implementation). Or even let DE make it a toggle-able on Warframes, so you can toggle it off and I can toggle it on.

But if your idea is implemented, it takes away my choice. I, for one, can not be bothered on pointing towards loot when I can point towards enemies.

Millions of players are playing this game and they have their own idea of fun and boredom. Why are you suggesting to impose your idea of fun (picking up loot) on others?

7 minutes ago, ----Fenrir---- said:

I think you two are underestimating your own reflexes. A decently skilled player could pick any loot dropping from an enemy before it even touches the ground, and a mouse swipe takes like one third of a second to instantly clear a very large portion of floor.

6 minutes ago, dadaddadada said:

I think you two are underestimating your own reflexes. A decently skilled player could pick any loot dropping from an enemy before it even touches the ground, and a mouse swipe takes like one third of a second to instantly clear a very large portion of floor.

I still do not believe you understand what I'm trying to say. Let me make it clear:

I DO NOT WANT TO PICK UP LOOT!

10 minutes ago, dadaddadada said:

I think you are not understanding the following facts -

• Choices matter. Please stop trying to shove your idea of fun down my throat in the name of my reflex.
  • Convenience matters. Not having to worry about aiming to pick up is a major positive effect. Yes, it may be psychological, but you can not ask me to change my psychology for a game, especially, when majority(and by majority, I mean everyone who uses Carrier as the main which happens to be 89% of the playerbase according to DE).
  • Your idea takes away choices from players. Therefore, it is simply not a good idea. I would not have been against it if you made it something optional. But you did not. You just want auto-attracting loots to go away to suit your idea of fun. But the problem is you are not the only player in Warframe.

2 minutes ago, ----Fenrir---- said:

I still do not believe you understand what I'm trying to say. Let me make it clear:

I DO NOT WANT TO PICK UP LOOT!

Sorry to burst your bubble but even with carrier you are, in fact, picking up loot by moving in range of it.

I would like to reiterate that to grab the loot in this idea you only have to approximately aim at it in a cone, no other clicking or wasd movement required and you can be very VERY fast at it you won't even notice.

4 minutes ago, DEADSHOT456 said:

I think you are not understanding the following facts -

• Choices matter. Please stop trying to shove your idea of fun down my throat in the name of my reflex.
  • Convenience matters. Not having to worry about aiming to pick up is a major positive effect. Yes, it may be psychological, but you can not ask me to change my psychology for a game, especially, when majority(and by majority, I mean everyone who uses Carrier as the main which happens to be 89% of the playerbase according to DE).
  • Your idea takes away choices from players. Therefore, it is simply not a good idea. I would not have been against it if you made it something optional. But you did not. You just want auto-attracting loots to go away to suit your idea of fun. But the problem is you are not the only player in Warframe.

If your entire case is that you are concerned previous vacuum would vanish from your hands, i'm happy to inform you that there is nothing in my idea that contrasts or excludes a coexistence with the current vacuum, so sure, you can have both. Was such hostility needed to pass that concept?

14 minutes ago, dadaddadada said:

If your entire case is that you are concerned previous vacuum would vanish from your hands, i'm happy to inform you that there is nothing in my idea that contrasts or excludes a coexistence with the current vacuum, so sure, you can have both. Was such hostility needed to pass that concept?

Unfortunately, your thread title indicates otherwise.

Also, I was not being hostile to put my point forward. That is how to speak. I can't help it if you think it was hostile.

I believe that movement is faster than aim, especially on console. That this mechanic of picking up items would be directly tied to sensitivity.

This seems like it would make for a very gimmicky gameplay mechanic. It would be best to go with the simplest solution, vacuum passive for all warframes. 

30 minutes ago, mac10smg-ToaOfGreen said:

I think the phrase you are looking for is "I don't want to walk up to loot to pick it up"

It is disconcerting how often vacuum threads dissolve into people arguing about laziness.  There are people who are more than happy with walking over to pick up loot and there are people who prefer to walk 'near' items and have them sucked up.

I honestly don't see how having some innate vacuum on frames in general would adversely affect those who are accustomed to picking each loot one at a time.  It also helps those who prefer not to as well.  

Would those who are more into using non-carrier companions really raise an uproar over having vacuum there readily available?  Even if / when they split the vacuum mods up those who don't use carrier still won't have their game play interrupted at all.

1 hour ago, dadaddadada said:

Aim approximately at an item at any distance to attract it.

The single most important problem with your idea is that it completely contradicts the already established method of loot gathering in Warframe.  Would we have to literally aim downward even if the loot is right at our feet too?  Are we completely disregarding the current methods in preference for this new system or would both be available?

Sure you think its boring and not as interactive but unfortunately you aren't the only one playing, it may be a good idea to try and see both sides of the coin rather than making blanket statements base on your own opinions.

13 minutes ago, DEADSHOT456 said:

Unfortunately, your thread title indicates otherwise.

Also, I was not being hostile to put my point forward. That is how to speak. I can't help it if you think it was hostile.

Well your main point appears to be choice, so i would have typed a one-liner like: "Listen, i think this should be optional to prevent accustomed people from feeling dropped" and thats about it, but whatever, its fine in the end.

10 minutes ago, Xekrin said:

Would we have to literally aim downward even if the loot is right at our feet too?  Are we completely disregarding the current methods in preference for this new system or would both be available?

Sure you think its boring and not as interactive but unfortunately you aren't the only one playing, it may be a good idea to try and see both sides of the coin rather than making blanket statements base on your own opinions.

I did state in my OP that the default picking range (at your feet without vacuum) remains unchanged. If you think it would not be enough, we can agree on some amount to grow it more. Clearly it would be too much to allow full vacuum range AND aimpicking at the same time, but nothing is preventing it to be implemented in a mutually exclusive manner to whatever DE comes up with and allow both either in the form of interchangeable mods or option switches or whatever.

Or they can just give us loot the moment it drops. Unlike other loot games(Diablo series, Borderlands series etc.) loot in Warframe isn't exciting. Most of the stuff you get are mods that you pick to grind into Endo. Furthermore, Warframe has no inventory, which means that there is no reason for you to not pick everything that drops.

13 minutes ago, Redthirst said:

Or they can just give us loot the moment it drops. Unlike other loot games(Diablo series, Borderlands series etc.) loot in Warframe isn't exciting. Most of the stuff you get are mods that you pick to grind into Endo. Furthermore, Warframe has no inventory, which means that there is no reason for you to not pick everything that drops.

I think that the background reason for which your suggestion (and also my suggestion) will not happen is because it takes away the alleged risk of moving towards the enemy and thus exposing yourself to gather loot dropped by the enemy itself.

Edited by dadaddadada

2 minutes ago, dadaddadada said:

I think that the background reason for which your suggestion (and also my suggestion) will not happen is because it takes away the alleged risk of moving towards the enemy and thus exposing yourself to gather loot dropped by the enemy itself.

The issue is that Warframe barely has this risk as is. The game isn't really made around using cover, so most of the time you are already exposed to enemy fire at all times.

1 minute ago, Redthirst said:

The issue is that Warframe barely has this risk as is. The game isn't really made around using cover, so most of the time you are already exposed to enemy fire at all times.

That is the reason of the "alleged" bit in my post. I am really taking a guess at what DE could have thought when warframe was in its infancy. What i am interested in knowing is if they would like to drop this idea or not at this time. But if they do, i would be interested only if they have a very creative way to replace it with that would fit best the current gameplay. If your suggestion gets the pass, it would for sure be a step forward, even tho i would personally be meh about it.

2 hours ago, FLSH_BNG said:

sorting through loot on the ground

This never happens.

Look, if I'm not allowed to say that using Carrier is lazy, you're not allowed to pretend like you sit there and pick through loot like it's a dish you didn't like that your mom made for you.

You walk over the pile and pick everything up. You don't pick and choose what to pick up. You. Simply. Walk.

19 minutes ago, BattledOne said:

Ha, you should work at DE. This just reeks of best of the best one step forward two steps backwards and you fell down the stairs mememagic game design DE is famous for.

You can now tell your buddy to put that gun down. You are free to go.

In Guild wars 2 ( just got back into it after rebuilding my computer this week) they have a button press to loot area. I've often thought this would work well in WF as a replacement idea for the vacuum mod. Until now it never really seemed relevant. I don't know how I feel about splitting it up into seperate mods, On the one hand it seems like a good idea because you can specify your loot, on the other hand, it seems like a extra mod series that is redundant and the entire mod system is already so full. 

I think that speaks really to the entire system though. So many mods several of which aren't really used, or are used sparsely and don't really offer enough utility to justify using them. Personally I'm not sure what their motivation is for adding more mods to the system. I'd like to see a refined system and a reduction of the mods count, while incorporating some of those mods into the weapons/frames/sentinels/companions respectively.

2 minutes ago, Babellon said:

button press to loot area

They could easily just make it, "Press [contextual action key] to turn vacuum on/off when no other contextual action could be taken." This way I can have my, "I don't want to vacuum up health and energy when I'm only missing 1 point," and others could have their, "I want to suck everything up no matter what," AND they no longer have to do some mod split.