Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A larger Gear wheel

SquireAngel

So, this is something of a personal gripe. As a long time player, I've had plenty of time to gather the resources to make a crap ton of the consumables in WF; from spectres, to Energy/health/shield/ammo large pads, to Kinetic Siphon traps. Now, the Gear Wheel is a pretty good size already; I run a loadout of Air Support charges, the 4 pad types, Siphon traps, Synth Scanner, And the Glyph Prism. Now, the Glyph Prism is purely accessory, and can easily be swapped out, but everything else is something I find irreplaceable for my own use/my teams usage, and there isn't really anything wrong with the system in place. However, I DO also have 12 sets of specters, and fireworks, and remote observers I would like a few slots to smuggle in. A simple increase to perhaps...10 gear slots allows a few specters, or a specter and Fireworks. This would also allow for a specter to be replaced for an apothic/dragon key quite easily. I would like to see some fun other consumables placed in WF (Jack O'lanterns for Halloween, for example?) that we could play around with. The Gear wheel at base covers the essentials, but a few spots for shenanigan toys would be awesome as well ;)

That would be an issue with hud size, hotkeys, etc. Being able to add more than the small increase of 2 MAYBE 4 slots would make the gear wheel images even smaller, making it harder to distinguish individual items. Also, having the UI change everytime you paid for more could get buggy. It's not a bad idea on the side of paying for something that isn't necessary, but I feel like doing it that way would require more work with potential bugs than just increasing the size outright. 

On a related note, it'd be nice if mission-bound gear items that aren't deployed on-demand—Dragon Keys, antitoxins/apothics, Fomorian Disruptors, etc.—had their own equip slot(s) or even a separate pre-mission interface like Relics now have. Only one variety of these can usually be brought into a single mission anyway, it seems like a fairly needless penalty on gear slots.

Personally I feel like it's part of the balance, so you have to make some choice in what to take to the mission. Not that it would break the game too much, but I like that you can't just bring everything. It's quite enough for the basic set already. Although I wouldn't mind if some stuff that's primarily for fun would take separate slots (like fireworks, remote observer, glyphs etc), but I'm not sure how can you do that without making a mess in wheel selection screen.

I get the balance idea, but any premade can already exploit that to a degree, and even then, with diminishing results. Specters are the only thing that could bring sway to the balance behind that, and you'd need like, every slot dedicated to specters to even really feel the sway. 

Why the Glyph wasn't an "Emote" slot thing I'm sure comes down to programming issues and needing to make essentially a "Glyph Gun" for it to work the way it does.  Throw that on the list of "needs more polish".

=====

I'd drop the Siphon Traps. They're only useful for catching Synthesis Targets if you don't have any other form of CC, which includes knockdowns from Jump Kicks (slide/crouch while in air) and weapon ground pounds.

I run Scanner, Specter, Shield Restore, Glyph/Dragon-Key, Cipher, Ammo, Energy, Health. The Glyph gets swapped out for Dragon Keys or other similar "mission specific items.

The only way the Wheel would really be made bigger would be to take the Neverwinter Nights (2000) approach and have expanding segments off the radial position. Keep in mind the Gear Wheel also has to be Controller friendly to use. This would actually be ideal for the Emote system as having more room for more Emotive options would be great and fit very well into FashionFrame.

Spoiler

pScvq2S.jpg

However I'm not super keen on expanding the Gear menu, personally. And especially not for Platinum.

Consider this. The Team Restore 'plates' are about as Pay-to-Winnie as you're going to find currently. The ability to instantly restore Health, Ammo, Energy, and Shields to the whole team, with only a hard cap of 200 to keep them in check (if you call them that). There are defiantly times I've dumped two or three or more down to push through situations that I and the team really should have wiped.

By allowing people to buy (not earn) additional slots you are allowing them to bring all the goodies. This includes every type of Specter, all 8 types we can throw: Tenno, Syndicates (6), Clem. So we're now up to 12 (4 plates, 8 specters) of "bypass gear", that can allow you to heal and power through anything that isn't an instant kill AND 8 supporting AIs. We then include Quality of Life gear, Scanner, Cipher, Trap. A mission specific slot (Key, Disruptor, Apothics, etc). And the cosmetic Glyph.

With the current limit of 8, a player can only really min-max with Health and Energy Restore, plus 6 of the 8 AI types. But loses out on QoL, mission gear, and cosmetics.

=====

If you want to clean up the Gear system a bit, my suggestion would be to:

• Move the Glyph into the Emote's menu, along with other "cosmetic gear" (Valentine's day arrows, fireworks, etc)
  • Expand the Emotes Menu (maybe for Plat).
  • Add 1 non-menu slot for "mission" items (Dragon Keys, Disruptors, Apothics, etc)

This gets the non-active "mission" items off the Gear wheel, opens up the Emotes menu for "cosmetic gear", and leaves the Gear menu more focused on in-game aids and QoL items. But leave the Gear menu at 8.

Edited by Brasten

3 hours ago, Nocam said:

Maybe a lot plat cost increase to gear wheel slots? Say 3-5 plat for two slots?

"A lot" => "3-5 plat"..... Dude what?

3 hours ago, SquireAngel said:

So, this is something of a personal gripe. As a long time player, I've had plenty of time to gather the resources to make a crap ton of the consumables in WF; from spectres, to Energy/health/shield/ammo large pads, to Kinetic Siphon traps. Now, the Gear Wheel is a pretty good size already; I run a loadout of Air Support charges, the 4 pad types, Siphon traps, Synth Scanner, And the Glyph Prism. Now, the Glyph Prism is purely accessory, and can easily be swapped out, but everything else is something I find irreplaceable for my own use/my teams usage, and there isn't really anything wrong with the system in place. However, I DO also have 12 sets of specters, and fireworks, and remote observers I would like a few slots to smuggle in. A simple increase to perhaps...10 gear slots allows a few specters, or a specter and Fireworks. This would also allow for a specter to be replaced for an apothic/dragon key quite easily. I would like to see some fun other consumables placed in WF (Jack O'lanterns for Halloween, for example?) that we could play around with. The Gear wheel at base covers the essentials, but a few spots for shenanigan toys would be awesome as well ;)

Consumables and power-ups slots are limited.....well duh, would you like them actually endless?

13 minutes ago, -BM-Leonhart said:

Consumables and power-ups slots are limited.....well duh, would you like them actually endless?

The point; you're missing it. We have enough gear and gear slots for em, my point was adding a slot or two for bits and bobs like Glyphs and Fireworks. 

5 minutes ago, SquireAngel said:

The point; you're missing it. We have enough gear and gear slots for em, my point was adding a slot or two for bits and bobs like Glyphs and Fireworks. 

Aha! so only for those.......haaa, doesn't it seem just too fishy to you if they introduced slots with hard restrictions....that is just messy game design. I am pretty sure no developers with good sense would over-complicate things like that.

If they have a change of heart, they may add more slots without any requirements to them, which is far more likely than them adding the mess you proposed.

Edited by -BM-Leonhart

5 minutes ago, -BM-Leonhart said:

Aha! so only for those.......haaa, doesn't it seem just too fishy to you if they introduced slots with hard restrictions....that is just messy game design. I am pretty sure no developers with good sense would over-complicate things like that.

If they have a change of heart, they may add more slots without any requirements to them, which is far more likely than them adding the mess you proposed.

It wouldn't be solely locked to those, the original idea was 1-2 more slots which isn't exactly game breaking, a point already touched upon. Brasten also came up with a more interesting iteration that doesn't touch it at all. Maybe read?