Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Vacuum Within: Universal Vacuum Feedback

Racter

So after literally years of people asking for universal, frame based vacuum for pick ups, you proposed splitting it into three mods that do the same job as current. Still sentinel restricted, very obviously a nerf. Massive wave of salt over this, and you come back with this? 5m range, still only works on sentinels? This is, again, far worse than just leaving it alone.

89% of the player base is using Carrier for Vacuum currently. 89%. You are substantially nerfing an item that nine out of ten people consider mandatory to enjoy your game. What train of thought possibly led you guys to think this was a good decision? This is not some game breakingly OP weapon, or some frame instakilling entire tiles, it is a quality of life feature that nearly all of your players have been using exclusively since the day it came out. This is not just dropping the ball, this is spiking it out of spite.

Please, please reconsider this. At the very least make it 5m on frames and give all companions one mod to increase it to 12.

Edited by [DE]Danielle
Edited title/Added Megathread Tag/Merging threads

They'd better not. I'm in the minority, sure, but vacuum as a passive is a terrible idea, let alone on frames.

Understand though, for a moment, that with said 89% of the playerbase using carrier, that this will allow said carrier spammers to go to other (and better) sentinels instead of sitting on a glorified household appliance because they're too lazy to pick up after themselves. Sure, it doesn't fix the problem, but it at least gives the option for diversity to begin with.

5 minutes ago, Racter said:

So after literally years of people asking for universal, frame based vacuum for pick ups, you proposed splitting it into three mods that do the same job as current. Still sentinel restricted, very obviously a nerf. Massive wave of salt over this, and you come back with this? 5m range, still only works on sentinels? This is, again, far worse than just leaving it alone.

89% of the player base is using Carrier for Vacuum currently. 89%. You are substantially nerfing an item that nine out of ten people consider mandatory to enjoy your game. What train of thought possibly led you guys to think this was a good decision? This is not some game breakingly OP weapon, or some frame instakilling entire tiles, it is a quality of life feature that nearly all of your players have been using exclusively since the day it came out. This is not just dropping the ball, this is spiking it out of spite.

Please, please reconsider this. At the very least make it 5m on frames and give all companions one mod to increase it to 12.

I don't see how it is a nerf.

Sure it can not be used by dogs and cats, but at least now people can choose a sentinel instead of just sticking with Carrier. That is still a buff. Maybe it is not the perfect buff, but it is a buff nonetheless. As for the 5m range, lets wait and see how it works out in the game before we jump to conclusions.

If using Carrier: You get a new ability for free. Vacuum unchanged.

If using any other sentinel: You get a new Vacuum for free. Ability unchanged.

If using anything else: You are unaffected.

This change might not be enough for you, but it is not a "nerf" by any definition of the word.

EDIT: Whoops, scratch that. I forgot about the new 5m range.

It's worth noting, though, that Carrier is no longer conceptually the Vacuum sentinel. Carrier is the only bot to be negatively impacted by the change, and even then it's only a straight downgrade if you don't bother equipping his replacement precept.

I'm also a bit bummed that the range was hit so hard, but seriously, the world is not about to end.

Edited by SortaRandom

Just now, DEADSHOT456 said:

I don't see how it is a nerf.

Sure it can not be used by dogs and cats, but at least now people can choose a sentinel instead of just sticking with Carrier. That is still a buff. Maybe it is not the perfect buff, but it is a buff nonetheless. As for the 5m range, lets wait and see how it works out in the game before we jump to conclusions.

Is the number 12 larger or smaller than 5? Smaller? That's a nerf. There is no arguing against 5<12, it's math. We can clearly see how it works in the .gif, even if we had no way to tell how big 5m was in game (hint, it's nothing).

2 minutes ago, wolfsongcry said:

Nerf? This could have been worst. Try to imagine what could means to add 3 mods on a sentinel, decreasing its survivability only to pick up stuff. The decreased range is a good compromise in my opinion, if we can add it to any sentinel.

that will be 2 less space and the need for catalyst and forma. ( only 2 because 1 is used by the original vaccum )
my case i haven't really filled up the 8 slot of a companion.

2 minutes ago, Racter said:

Is the number 12 larger or smaller than 5? Smaller? That's a nerf. There is no arguing against 5<12, it's math. We can clearly see how it works in the .gif, even if we had no way to tell how big 5m was in game (hint, it's nothing).

If that's your idea of nerf, I pity you.

See that UNIVERSAL word that you wrote in the thread title? Yes? That is the buff here. Now, Instead of Carrier just looting and shooting, you can use Shade for looting, shooting and stealth. You can use Wyrm for looting, shooting and CC. You can use Helios for looting, shooting and scanning. And so on. You can now choose the sentinel of your choice for the specific scenario and still enjoy vacuum. And choices are always a buff.

As for the 5m distance, a gif is not a gameplay experience. As a matter of my opinion, even in the gif, I saw that the range was enough.

See that UNIVERSAL word that you wrote in the thread title? Yes? That is the buff here. Now, Instead of Carrier just looting and shooting, you can use Shade for looting, shooting and stealth. You can use Wyrm for looting, shooting and CC. You can use Helios for looting, shooting and scanning. And so on. You can now choose the sentinel of your choice for the specific scenario and still enjoy vacuum. And choices are always a buff.

As for the 5m distance, a gif is not a gameplay experience. As a matter of my opinion, even in the gif, I saw that the range was enough.

Sentinel only does not equal Universal.

7 minutes ago, Racter said:

There is nowhere mentioned that Carriers Vacuum mod will be removed or changed, so i rather stay calm and see how the things turn out instead of burning the forums with the corrupted word "nerf" .

Oh so it's universal? It works with my kubrows? How about my kavats? Does it work with no companion? There are 14 companions currently. Only one of them, currently, can use Vacuum. After this change, it will be 7. 50% is not universal. Sentinel only does not equal universal.

7 minutes ago, Airwolfen said:

Do people REALLY think that Vacuum on a Kavat / Kubrow is a good thing? What are you gonna do. Modify their lungs and add a vacuum and go

"Say AHHH now puppers, suck up all that loot"

yeah GREAT idea... not.

You mean like how we can modify them to remotely turn us invisible or spontaneously vomit syndicate medallions into our pockets?

The point of vacuum is to be a convenient addition for gameplay. Realism is nice, but it should NOT get in the way of gameplay.

25 minutes ago, Racter said:

they change ,no 3 mods, but reduce the range

8 minutes ago, SortaRandom said:

You mean like how we can modify them to remotely turn us invisible or spontaneously vomit syndicate medallions into our pockets?

The point of vacuum is to be a convenient addition for gameplay. Realism is nice, but it should NOT get in the way of gameplay.

Yet the current situation is not getting in the way of gameplay either. And I really do not get why people would think that sentinels getting vacuum and pets not is in the way of gameplay. As you said it, it is a convenience. Not a necessity.

4 minutes ago, Airwolfen said:

Yet the current situation is not getting in the way of gameplay either. And I really do not get why people would think that sentinels getting vacuum and pets not is in the way of gameplay. As you said it, it is a convenience. Not a necessity.

I really don't care if it's a "convenience" or not I don't want to waste time running around just to pick up loot if I'm not using a carrier when I'm trying to run a mission it's way to easy to run past and not pick things up.

32 minutes ago, FractalGenerator said:

Sentinel only does not equal Universal.

Maybe. But it is still better than the option of just using Carrier. And your witty one-liner does not change that fact. As for why I referred to it as universal is because it is commonly referred to as universal. I did not want to coin a new term like "Universal Sentinel Vacuum", but then again, I don't expect you to understand that universal in this case refers to "Universal to Sentinels" and not "Universal to Companions". Context matters.

29 minutes ago, Racter said:

Oh so it's universal? It works with my kubrows? How about my kavats? Does it work with no companion? There are 14 companions currently. Only one of them, currently, can use Vacuum. After this change, it will be 7. 50% is not universal. Sentinel only does not equal universal.

Context. Read the above.

Oh, and read my first post. I clearly said it can not be used on cats and dogs. Universal in this case refers to universal among sentinels.

Because according to your and Generator's idea of Universal, USB should be compatible with HDMI port.

Edited by DEADSHOT456

49 minutes ago, FrostboundFlame said:

They'd better not. I'm in the minority, sure, but vacuum as a passive is a terrible idea, let alone on frames.

Understand though, for a moment, that with said 89% of the playerbase using carrier, that this will allow said carrier spammers to go to other (and better) sentinels instead of sitting on a glorified household appliance because they're too lazy to pick up after themselves. Sure, it doesn't fix the problem, but it at least gives the option for diversity to begin with.

The option for diversity would have been to give us a gameplay setting: AoE loot on / AoE loot off. AoE Loot Range 12 meters. Orbs, Ammo and Life Support? They can make that 5 Meters then for all I care.

45 minutes ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

Good. Vacuum needed the nerf from day one. They should have just left it on Carrier, tho.

Contrarianism and hipstery at its finest. You neither add to the conversation, nor state why you think it's 'needing a nerf'. Because we can pick up loot? Loot should be autopicked up or have a huge aoe range for pickups by default. What's your issue? Orbs, ammo and Life Support? Those can be adjusted, but loot should NOT be nerfed. Why? Come on, you're apparently an adult human being, explain just why you think Vacuum Range for LOOT ITEMS should be nerfed, other than you being "2 cool" for it or playing the game for so many years that you don't even care about resources anymore?

Edited by Sold0ut

28 minutes ago, Sold0ut said:

The option for diversity would have been to give us a gameplay setting: AoE loot on / AoE loot off. AoE Loot Range 12 meters. Orbs, Ammo and Life Support? They can make that 5 Meters then for all I care.

Wouldn't it be cool if they made it a passive we could turn it on or off in the menu and you get like .5 meters pick up range per mastery rank I think that would be a perfect idea. That way you'd max out at 11 meters at MR22 and at my current mastery rank which is 14 I'd have 7 meters of pick up best of all that gives me lots of reason to get to MR22 so I can have that sweet sweet 11 meters of pick up which isn't bad.

Edited by MessengeroDeath

11 minutes ago, DEADSHOT456 said:

Maybe. But it is still better than the option of just using Carrier. And your witty one-liner does not change that fact. As for why I referred to it as universal is because it is commonly referred to as universal. I did not want to coin a new term like "Universal Sentinel Vacuum", but then again, I don't expect you to understand that universal in this case refers to "Universal to Sentinels" and not "Universal to Companions". Context matters.

Context. Read the above.

Oh, and read my first post. I clearly said it can not be used on cats and dogs. Universal in this case refers to universal among sentinels.

Because according to your and Generator's idea of Universal, USB should be compatible with HDMI port.

Your condescending attitude aside, it is commonly referred to as universal because we wanted it to be frame based. Aka, actually universal. Not just for sentinels, not even just for companions, though that would have been an acceptable compromise for most, and not nerfed to 40% of current effectiveness. Not this bad joke.