Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Insufficient Memory in Relays

kyori

I have a very old PC using WinXP (ya I know) but the game's requirement set WinXP is able to play.

Whenever I go to any Relays, until I reach the concourse, it will over 90% of the time said i have insufficient memory and I have no other option then to click on it and close the game. I am not sure what is so memory heavy in the relays as compared to other tilesets.

I have 4GB RAM, the standard for WinXP and a commit charge of X-M / 8153 M when viewed in task manager. The game will usually takes up about 1.1-1.2GB

I have a Core2Duo 8400 with GTX 550Ti

I have another issue here: 

Though I could think that it is due to my old HDD...

On 10/7/2016 at 10:30 PM, kyori said:

Received this message asking me to include this code: WAR-1064328 when reporting for this bug.

Thank you for this, kyori. We will look through your crash and see if there are any improvements that we can make on our end. Hopefully we can get you back in the relay in a timely manner.

6 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Thank you for this, kyori. We will look through your crash and see if there are any improvements that we can make on our end. Hopefully we can get you back in the relay in a timely manner.

I am not a programmer, so I can't tell why only the relay is so heavy on memory. 

Thanks for replying and looking into this. 

In my experience, its not overloading your system RAM per say but the RAM dedicated to your video card processes. Try entering a relay that is supposed to be empty. It might let you stay until other players load. This might be due to the texture types used or video memory addresses compared to direct x9 versus 11 but as more players enter the relay, their emblems and cosmetic will load directly into your video memory instead of system RAM, if you have less than 2 GB VRAM, this will overload VRAM and give an out of memory error with more VRAM, it takes a bit longer at least in the past. With the 550 TI, which is a nice card overall for its performance/cost, it has 1GB VRAM so if you are in the Relay using Dx11, it should start crashing within a few minutes if there are a good number of blinged players in the relay with you. Using Direct x9, the card should overload its RAM within one or two minutes unless the relay is empty. Do you get the crash on Uranus, Ceres, Derelict, or the void sometimes as well?

1 hour ago, Urlan said:

I am not sure if my video card is using DX9 or DX11.... but I am using WinXP, is it possible to even use DX11?

I have stated my specs on my first post and in fact i have pushed up the VRAM(?) to over 8GB as seen in my task manager.

Nope, there is absolutely no issue with all tilesets except relays and sometimes maroo's place(can't really remember if it occurred there). So it is only the relay that is causing the memory problem.. that is why in layman's term I am wondering why the relay caused memory issues but not all other tilesets.

No, normally you can not use Direct x 11 on Windows Xp without making modifications to the system OS, wasn't sure if that was the case here. It is not possible for you to increase VRAM - Video RAM - without fabricator access. You are seeing 8 GB of virtual memory perhaps? Can we assume you are running Windows Professional 64 bit? Unfortunately, as the card can not use Direct x 11, and even then has 1GB VRAM you won't have much luck in relay visits if others are there.

Edited by Urlan

18 hours ago, Urlan said:

I am using home edition WinXP 32bit. The usual trip I made to relay has no one(as in players) in them. The thing is sometimes there are no problem but most of the time there is memory problem. Very inconsistent.

I can play 4 person co-op online, sorties etc all no problem... except for relay. Really weird.

Oh VRAM is not virtual memory, I see. Ya I was talking about virtual memory, doesn't seems to help after pushing up to 8GB+

Cool, that gives us a bigger idea of what kind of system we are working with! That should allow easier testing, in my experience with similar builds, on your side, there is little to do outside of upgrades. I would love to hear about improvements to the video memory handling in direct x9 situations.

1 hour ago, Urlan said:

Thanks, I hope this is solved soon too. 

Usually there are high chances of successfully going to relay after I restart my pc and immediately play warframe... but even that is not 100% guaranteed to work.

Sometimes can access relay without even restarting my pc.

I usually don't complain about the grinding etc because I know and I am very grateful that this is a wonderful free-to-play game... but this performance issue is just... weird. lol

I have had this issue happen once, but i never saw it happen again even while being on filled relays for 5 minutes, but again i don't stay on them for very long. Back when it happened i didn't even made it to the main area before getting the error, it took like 15 seconds.

My system is similar, a Windows XP SP3 32 bit, 4 GB of ram (altough i only have access to 3 GB) and a ATI HD 4850 with 1GB of video memory

According to the logs that warframe outputs, it reads a few machine specs, including the used OS, if it detects windows xp it assumes a bunch of other things, including direct x9 to be the only way to run the game even if you have emulated direct x10

3 hours ago, KIREEK said:

Back when it happened i didn't even made it to the main area before getting the error, it took like 15 seconds.

My system is similar, a Windows XP SP3 32 bit, 4 GB of ram (altough i only have access to 3 GB) and a ATI HD 4850 with 1GB of video memory

Yup... sometimes it even happened while on the loading screen where I see my liset flying in the sky.

That is true. 4GB is only on words as WinXP is unable to utilize the full 4GB.

This makes sense. Its my experience as well when using Direct x 9 with cards that have less than 2GB like the GT 640 1 GB. It happens in Vista 32 bit as well when using direct x 9 but lasts a little longer in Direct x 11 which is unfortunately not an option in this case. The same Vista 32 system can last for a little over an hour in the relay with the same configuration otherwise with a change to 2 GB but still fails in direct x 9 after a few minutes sadly.

There was a hotfix update that says it helped a bit with relays, anyone mind testing to see if it helps?

Edited by Urlan

On 10/7/2016 at 2:24 PM, kyori said:

Whenever I go to any Relays, until I reach the concourse, it will over 90% of the time said i have insufficient memory and I have no other option then to click on it and close the game.

Hi kyori, we just released an update that should reduce memory usage (especially in Relays).

Could you please take a look when you have a moment and let us know if this helps?

Thanks.

12 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Hi there,

After about 80 minutes of gameplay, I went to Saturn's relay... the game crashed when I tried to skip the 2nd video, the one liset landing on relay)

I log in again... the game hanged for about 5-10 seconds when I was approaching the concourse but resumed and I can parkour in the relay no problem for about 10 minutes

*the hang sometimes occurred.. which I think is the system trying to rectify the memory issue?..and when it is able to rectify, I can move about the relay no problem... but if it cannot rectify, then it will say insufficient memory/

*I used to just walk in the relay because layman thinking if walk slowly then the relay has time to load up texture etc and won't get memory issue. lol

After exiting saturn's relay, I went to mercury's relay.... there is a clan function there or something I think... insufficient memory when I reached the concourse where there are a lot of clan members there.

I went to a relay after about an hour of play and experienced a severe corruption of textures(a lot of textures are in plain bright yellow)... as I proceed deeper into the relay, the whole screen soon became totally plain bright yellow.... and my pc had a blue screen and auto restarted.

After pc restarted, I went into warframe and first thing go to the relay... suffered insufficient memory as I enter the concourse.

I am really glad I can get my syndicate offerings straight from my ship. How I wish I am able to turn-in syndicate medallions and all the simaris businesses from my ship too. 

Edited by kyori

Sadly, switching to Direct x 9 will cause the game to overflow the Video Ram in a minute or two if other players are active in the relay and load in their actual looks versus the blank Excalibur shadow avatars. Video Memory will be filled a little over 700 MB on the status fps display. With the same situation, in Direct x11 with 1 GB, it will overflow still but more players are required with memory displayed around 900MB or more. If I remember correctly, this particular issue started around update 16, it seems to trigger when loading cosmetic attachments and regalia for other players.

Edit: Seems about 10 other players loading in their real looks while in the relay are enough to cause the 'insufficient memory error'.

Edited by Urlan

Now I start to wonder why the relay cannot function the same like any other nodes? Meaning if I'min solo mode then I will be the only one in the relay, or that particular relay session.

I have been trying to access the relay to turn-in my medallions to get a syndicate weapon since about 2 hours ago... with no success.

7 minutes ago, kyori said:

Now I start to wonder why the relay cannot function the same like any other nodes? Meaning if I'min solo mode then I will be the only one in the relay, or that particular relay session.

I have been trying to access the relay to turn-in my medallions to get a syndicate weapon since about 2 hours ago... with no success.

I would reason that the relays are basically acting like other nodes, its just that in most situations you don't interact with as many players in standard missions outside of trials which have a similar issue in full teams. It could be due to a method that is being used to load cosmetics or players and display them but perhaps, with threads like this, the cause can be narrowed down and corrected.

6 hours ago, kyori said:

I never experienced insufficient memory in dojo before but I just did. After a few minutes in the dojo... insufficient memory popped up!

Were other players in the dojo at the same time or was it after a few missions?

1 hour ago, Urlan said:

Were other players in the dojo at the same time or was it after a few missions?

Ermm.. I don't think there is anyone in the dojo... also I think it is after 1-2 missions only.

Usually there is no problem with dojo. Oh no.. hopes this won't infest the dojo too

That would likely be due to memory or textures being held onto; try to get an idea of which missions or allies seem to trigger these crashes the most What are the allies wearing look wise and what kind missions do these crashes happen most on. Keeping logs or notes on this might assist support trying to reproduce the occurrences.