Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

need PC building help

sneakatone

Looks fine except I wouldn't skimp on the PSU, get a gold cert one at least and make sure they give good clean power by looking for reviews. AIO coolers are over rated,  get a Noctua or Cryorig R1 as you get the same cooling with less chance of failure because no pump etc.  Also the gigabyte 480 is the second worst next to the PowerColor in build quality, get the MSI,  Sapphire,  Asus or XFX. Get a slightly better case too,  the Define S is a fantastic option for slightly more. 

Looks fine.

Few changes I'd make

Better PSU, if you go for a 650W one of a higher quality you'd have more ability to upgrade in the future, and your build would run more efficiently. 500 will run everything there, but if you ever add in another graphics card you may find issues. 

Nvidia over AMD, personal experience here, AMD has way more problems than the NVIDIA equivalent, their drivers are awful and I've seen far more hardware failures in AMD cards. 

I'd also whack in a 1-2 Tb hard drive. It's cheap storage. And games don't get a hell of a lot of benefit from being on an ssd. 

27 minutes ago, Sixty5 said:

Looks fine.

Few changes I'd make

Better PSU, if you go for a 650W one of a higher quality you'd have more ability to upgrade in the future, and your build would run more efficiently. 500 will run everything there, but if you ever add in another graphics card you may find issues. 

Nvidia over AMD, personal experience here, AMD has way more problems than the NVIDIA equivalent, their drivers are awful and I've seen far more hardware failures in AMD cards. 

Current generation gpus can run easily on a 500w PSU, just a good 500-550w gold is more than enough but if you want to do more than just an extra GPU them 650w might be preferred. Also let's not spread opinion as fact. In 10yrs never once had an issue with any AMD GPU. It merely comes down to personal preference.  If we want to knock drivers I could bring up that Nvidia had released drivers that have actually killed cards. I realize you said personal experience, but let's not attempt to sway needlessly when they can choose by looking at reviews and making up their own mind.  Both brands have their merits, faults,  etc. 

6 hours ago, Echoa said:

Current generation gpus can run easily on a 500w PSU, just a good 500-550w gold is more than enough but if you want to do more than just an extra GPU them 650w might be preferred. Also let's not spread opinion as fact. In 10yrs never once had an issue with any AMD GPU. It merely comes down to personal preference.  If we want to knock drivers I could bring up that Nvidia had released drivers that have actually killed cards. I realize you said personal experience, but let's not attempt to sway needlessly when they can choose by looking at reviews and making up their own mind.  Both brands have their merits, faults,  etc. 

Last laptop I used had a nice big fancy AMD card in it, ended up the whole thing crashed every time the driver loaded. I even made a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V6mKpeByE0

Turns out that I'd updated the drivers and they had caused the card to overheat and basically die.

The laptop I used before that had an AMD card and that broke after a windows update, and didn't work for 6 months, until I ran a full reinstall of the entire system.

In my job as an IT Technician I have come across countless laptops that refuse to boot because AMD drivers have broken, to the point of a clean uninstall of GPU drivers is the first thing I do when a PC with a Radeon/ATI sticker comes through the door. 

I've seen AMD cards in PC's randomly decide they are running an extra monitor creating big areasd of dead screen space.

Sure I have seen issues with NVidia cards as well, but not to the same extent as with AMD ones, the only issue I have ever had with my 970 is that shadowplay got blocked by the Windows 10 Xbox DVR, but that is more a Win10 fault than one with Nvidia.

Basically what it boils down to is that my experience with AMD is such that I cannot in good conscious recommend running AMD parts to anyone. Nvidia and Intel might not be perfect, but that is still far better than trash i have seen from AMD. 

19 minutes ago, Sixty5 said:

Last laptop I used had a nice big fancy AMD card in it, ended up the whole thing crashed every time the driver loaded. I even made a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V6mKpeByE0

Turns out that I'd updated the drivers and they had caused the card to overheat and basically die.

The laptop I used before that had an AMD card and that broke after a windows update, and didn't work for 6 months, until I ran a full reinstall of the entire system.

In my job as an IT Technician I have come across countless laptops that refuse to boot because AMD drivers have broken, to the point of a clean uninstall of GPU drivers is the first thing I do when a PC with a Radeon/ATI sticker comes through the door. 

I've seen AMD cards in PC's randomly decide they are running an extra monitor creating big areasd of dead screen space.

Sure I have seen issues with NVidia cards as well, but not to the same extent as with AMD ones, the only issue I have ever had with my 970 is that shadowplay got blocked by the Windows 10 Xbox DVR, but that is more a Win10 fault than one with Nvidia.

Basically what it boils down to is that my experience with AMD is such that I cannot in good conscious recommend running AMD parts to anyone. Nvidia and Intel might not be perfect, but that is still far better than trash i have seen from AMD. 

Just on the topic of the laptop, it didnt happen to be an Asus did it? Asus liked to not update GPU vBios (and roms for Ethernet,etc.) in laptops a few years back and it caused conflicts. An old Asus gaming laptop from the Windows 7 era cant even run windows 10 without crashing because they are abandonware.

The rest Im not even gonna bother because once someone starts claiming theyre an IT Tech and their opinion is more concrete, any sense is a lost cause. 

OP make up your own mind GPU wise, but dont go with gigabyte/powercolor or any of the cheaper brands this go around as theyre skimping hard on the power delivery and PCB quality in general. XFX/Sapphire/Asus/MSI (and some Nvidia equivalents) are doing pretty solid. The rest of the build is pretty fine. 

Edited by Echoa

Ensure that the CPU is the correct size for the socket on that Motherboard. I made that mistake once and had to reorder a new CPU because I got LGA 1151 instead of LGA 2011. 

Also, you may find yourself running out of space in only a short time. 240 gb is not very much. I know big SSD's are expensive, but maybe get an HDD to install games on. 

And make sure that the OS you have there is a full OS install, not a system builder. 

Edited by Plasmaface

11 hours ago, Plasmaface said:

Ensure that the CPU is the correct size for the socket on that Motherboard. I made that mistake once and had to reorder a new CPU because I got LGA 1151 instead of LGA 2011. 

Also, you may find yourself running out of space in only a short time. 240 gb is not very much. I know big SSD's are expensive, but maybe get an HDD to install games on. 

And make sure that the OS you have there is a full OS install, not a system builder. 

thanks, turns out i got the right one