Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Two panel doors, why is this a thing?

PoobahTheGrand

I can't stand this, especially when I'm playing with one other person. I'm running to the objective and reach a two panel door, and can't get through because the other person decides to get somethings to eat. Or if I'm in a squad and the rest of my team is like 1000m away or all downed because instead of going to the objective they decide they want to kill random trash mobs. And I really don't see why this is even a thing in the first place. What possible reasons could there be for this? To me this is another feature in the game that encourages solo play.

Edited by PoobahTheGrand

2 minutes ago, DogManDan said:

The game is designed to be played as a team! If you are running far ahead of your team than you should go and play it solo and stop complaining about the feature.

Bad argument! i agree with the OP. I enjoy playing in teams but sometimes someone joins the game and is afk for example and you are fk'd... why should i get punished for his stupidity?

Just now, --Q--UmadcausebaD said:

Bad argument! i agree with the OP. I enjoy playing in teams but sometimes someone joins the game and is afk for example and you are fk'd... why should i get punished for his stupidity?

You only need one other teammate to open the door with you. Unless every single one of your squadmates went afk on you. In which case, you probably shouldn't have your settings set (is that redundant?) to public.

Just now, (PS4)abbacephas said:

You only need one other teammate to open the door with you. Unless every single one of your squadmates went afk on you. In which case, you probably shouldn't have your settings set (is that redundant?) to public.

you dont have always a full team.

Other than that: give me one good reason for those doors? You dont need skill or anything to get through. Just a second person and IF this person afk you got a problem. I dont see why it is in the game.

1 minute ago, --Q--UmadcausebaD said:

Other than that: give me one good reason for those doors? You dont need skill or anything to get through. Just a second person and IF this person afk you got a problem. I dont see why it is in the game.

Good is a subjective term. As others have stated, a reason why it has been implemented is because this game is intended to be played cooperatively and this is a means to impose (not sure if this is the most appropriate word) that. It's not about skill, it's about fostering team based play. If you're in a squad, you should be playing together to successfully complete the objective, not have one guy just run off and rush the mission while others do whatever they feel.

Is this a good reason? Some will say yes and others will say no. It is a game mechanic that exists and it is one that can be dealt with by either playing solo, or playing with a friend/clan mate with the same goal as you (ie. kill everything is sight or rush the mission).

It's old design to combat Coptering Rushes (using a bug in Melee weapon physics to fling yourself across the map, where one person would rocket ahead of everyone else, and end the mission before anyone else was even halfway to the objective tile. The Double Doors were a check on that, requiring 50%+ of the Cell to agree to that style of play for it to continue. The design still holds for the same reasons today.

If you are going to play with PuGs you have to, at a certain level, accept that the majority of the Cell may not want to play your way. Either accept that, play solo, or find like minded people to play with (Rush or Explore). That's been the case for nearly 4 years.

The Double Doors could use a bit of redesign to mesh better with the AFK system, to take people who are marked as AFK out of consideration.

6 minutes ago, --Q--UmadcausebaD said:

There is no other good reason, The doors are made specifically so that You wait for Your team and play with them without rushing the mission.

They wont remove a feature just because in some rare cases You can join a random who could be afk, Either leave and redo the mission so that Afk doesn't get You stuck, Or go Solo mode where Those doors wont stop You.

Reasons why they take time to join you at the "Friendship door"

• Lag, they might have loaded up to a minute later then you
  • Afk (yea they are a jerk)
  • You have a speed optimized frame and they don't
  • It is co-op, allow them to catch up
  • They are behind you because they are looking for loot (and maybe don't have vacuum)

If you really have a problem with it, and want to speed run.  GO SOLO or make your own speed run group

24 minutes ago, --Q--UmadcausebaD said:

I can't say for sure, but it is possible...at least a little possible... umadcausebad

1 hour ago, DogManDan said:

The game is designed to be played as a team! If you are running far ahead of your team than you should go and play it solo and stop complaining about the feature.

While I agree with this, I personally think they should be removed entirely from solo play. It's a slight disruption in flow by having to click a button to open a basic door :awkward:. Kinda unrelated, but hey.

Edited by LazerSkink

1 hour ago, Tsoe said:

we need more stuff like that...

open spaces need more Friendship feature :D

Maybe an Unjumpable abyss , and you need team to activate a badass bridge?

More team oriented mechanics would be interesting. Although it needs to be properly implemented, otherwise it will feel like DE is forcing us to team play.

If playing solo was the solution for everything we wouldn't have so many people complaining about Ash and Mirage or OP things in general. If you don't agree with the mechanics or think it needs to be nerfed, go play solo so you don't have to see them amirite? So that argument is bad. And Im sure some of the players who are saying play solo also think OP gear needs to be nerfed or certain things should be reworked because it isn't team friendly. I already see one off the top of my head in this thread.

And furthermore, if my team decides they want to move like a snail or want to kill every single enemy they encounter like a trigger happy cop, then by all means, do you. But I shouldn't have to have my path block because you decided to do so. It's not a speed run if I'm the only one attempting to reach the objective.

2 hours ago, LazerSkink said:

While I agree with this, I personally think they should be removed entirely from solo play. It's a slight disruption in flow by having to click a button to open a basic door :awkward:. Kinda unrelated, but hey.

Friendship doors make a good point to take a breather, maybe drop some pizzas if you're having trouble, because you can be guaranteed no enemies will come from in front of you and you won't have to backtrack the way you came to continue (as would be the case of using a dead end room for a breather).

Also, it's really fun dropping like 20 Teslas in front of the door, opening it, and watching all of your Teslas activate all at once.

Edited by Inarticulate

16 minutes ago, PoobahTheGrand said:

If playing solo was the solution for everything we wouldn't have so many people complaining about Ash and Mirage or OP things in general. If you don't agree with the mechanics or think it needs to be nerfed, go play solo so you don't have to see them amirite? So that argument is bad. And Im sure some of the players who are saying play solo also think OP gear needs to be nerfed or certain things should be reworked because it isn't team friendly. I already see one off the top of my head in this thread.

Playing solo isn't the solution to everything, but it is the solution to this. If we're brainstorming better solutions, removing Friendship Doors is not a good one: as many have already said, they promote team play and prevent players who are overlevelled from taking the fun out of the game for the rest of the squad. Yes, there are times when players go afk or get stuck and this is frustrating, but those cases aren't very common and removing Friendship Doors would do more harm than good to the environment of this game. We are, after all, operatives toward the same cause, so treating the mission as though your allies aren't even there detracts from the aesthetic of teamwork.

If we want a solution to afk players, there are two much more constructive solutions. The first would be to add a much-talked about "Kick Player" option. This would have to be agreed upon by all active squad member and check to see that the player in question isn't moving at all for an extended duration. This would prevent abuse of a Kick system.

The second solution (and this could work in tandem with the first) would be to improve matchmaking options. Have toggles available that could match a player into certain demographics (similar MR or playtime or overall Conclave rating on Loadout), and allow these to be adjusted to the player's preferences.

However, working with what we have now, it's best to just run solo if you're really in a rush and can't stand waiting for just one other Tenno at the door. If the mission is so easy that you've blasted through and are just hanging out by yourself, you might as well just play the thing by yourself and save some time. Or maybe try out that Level 15 Nitain Alert without your multi-Forma'd prime weapons.