Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Inhabiting the Player Character

Shoelip

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:59 AM, SilentMobius said:

Other way around, when I play Warframe I play it as my Tenno, I adjust my decisions to align with the motivation I think my Tenno should have. Right from the very beginning (Way before the second dream) the player was addressed through the perspective of a singular, persistent character who was referred to as a "Tenno" so that's what I played the game as.

The Second Dream just gave us the opportunity to assign a voice and a face to that character.

Much in the same way my "Commander Shepard" wasn't me in mass effect, I just made decisions the way I wanted/expected "Commander Shepard" to act.

This is why I don't care for "What Warframe will you be using in TWW"-like threads, because my Tenno would use the right tool for the mission be it rifle, pistol, melee or warframe.

^The voice of the wise^

That's how players are intended to view the Tenno.

On 14/10/2016 at 5:17 PM, HalfDarkShadow said:

On an somewhat unrelated note, I just finished last night this RPG called Trails of Cold Steel. Clocked in at 140 hours (yes, it's that long lol), but holy moly did shiz-hit-the-fan real fast by the end haha. I'm definitely going to take a break before jumping into the sequel to see what happens, because man, for a 100 hour story there's so much to sink in and comprehend xD

On a note related to your unrelated note, Trails of Cold Steel is part of the Kiseki series. If you enjoyed the setting and such, then I recommend checking out 'Trails in the Sky' on Steam (or wherever it can be found beyond) as that's where the series started off. I clocked in about 156~ hours combined over the course of Trails FC and SC. Extremely solid RPG experience, with quite frankly an awesome soundtrack. Falcom's JDK band are awesome at what they do.

And with any luck, XSEED will be bringing us Trails in the Sky: The Third sometime next year. Looking forward to it if so. Heck...be glad that both FC and SC are out on steam cause waiting a year for the follow up to how things ended in FC was rough. Feels were had...Worth it though, cause yay, resolutions! Bonus too that there's a lot of stuff in SC that recognises what you did in FC should you import save data (which you should).

Gushing, sorry. So...I'm going to stop here.

But seriously, Trails in the Sky is great. Highly recommend it.

19 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

I just want to be able to exert more direct choice about their dialogue pool.

Pretty much this. Whilst I doubt we're going to get something like 'shoutouts' in Phantasy Star Portable 2 (God I loathe the 'game title is system acronym' trend) which were just text boxes you edited as saw fit (combined with given voice pack you went for sort of), if we got something akin to God Eater's varied voice packs, that'd be solid. And if we could pick and mix responses/comments from such a set up...That'd be great.

Alas, all we can do is wait and see what all these hours of Operator dialogue equate to.

2 minutes ago, Blakrana said:

Pretty much this. Whilst I doubt we're going to get something like 'shoutouts' in Phantasy Star Portable 2 (God I loathe the 'game title is system acronym' trend) which were just text boxes you edited as saw fit (combined with given voice pack you went for sort of), if we got something akin to God Eater's varied voice packs, that'd be solid. And if we could pick and mix responses/comments from such a set up...That'd be great.

Alas, all we can do is wait and see what all these hours of Operator dialogue equate to.

Something like that is/was already coming. You know about the accidental leak of the new dialogue system a few hotfixes ago, when Spectres first dropped?

Hold 'Q' for your Gear wheel and Emote wheel....and below the Emote wheel was a quicktip leading to what was unmistakably an unfinished Dialogue wheel, with a dozen or so segments. Only one segment was occupied by text, and it was one of the Operator lines.

That got patched out right quick, but a bunch of people saw it.

14 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Something like that is/was already coming. You know about the accidental leak of the new dialogue system a few hotfixes ago, when Spectres first dropped?

Hold 'Q' for your Gear wheel and Emote wheel....and below the Emote wheel was a quicktip leading to what was unmistakably an unfinished Dialogue wheel, with a dozen or so segments. Only one segment was occupied by text, and it was one of the Operator lines.

That got patched out right quick, but a bunch of people saw it.

Yeah, though that seemed more sort of like your 'Quick chat' function, like in Monster Hunter or God Eater; take a few preset things, shout out as needed. This case, it was 'Enemy marked' I believe. 

Didn't work on Controller at the time, can say that much. Though not surprised considering it likely was quite unintentional for it to be out. Still, if it's added to and accessed much like emotes are, then it's likely pretty straightforward to get it in a functional state, if it's still a thing.

No, frankly I find the operators pretty awful. Worst part of the game, even. I preferred the Warframes and the Lotus being mysterious entities. Suddenly my ambiguous, cold and impersonal space ninja is an ugly androgynous kid and the Lotus is literally standing in my ship. No thanks. I'm very grateful for the fact that we can keep our hoods up and turn the voices off.

Admittedly though carrying yourself around in the Second Dream was cool.

Edit : I didn't actually answer the question. No, I don't identify with the teenager, I would have identified more with the blank slate silent Tenno, and the cinematic elements of TWW are going to have me cringing all the way through as they try, and fail, to make the operator relatable.

Edited by Genymede

33 minutes ago, Genymede said:

No, frankly I find the operators pretty awful. Worst part of the game, even. I preferred the Warframes and the Lotus being mysterious entities. Suddenly my ambiguous, cold and impersonal space ninja is an ugly androgynous kid and the Lotus is literally standing in my ship. No thanks. I'm very grateful for the fact that we can keep our hoods up and turn the voices off.

Edit : I didn't actually answer the question. No, I don't identify with the teenager, I would have identified more with the blank slate silent Tenno, and the cinematic elements of TWW are going to have me cringing all the way through as they try, and fail, to make the operator relatable.

Finally somebody i can agree with.

46 minutes ago, Genymede said:

You're the first person to actually notice when they didn't answer the question!  Thank you! XD