Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Miz's Workshop | Saryn Helmet and Infested Syandana WIP

Mizui

Greetings Tenno!

This is basically just a place for me to post stuff as I work for you guys to feedback to me (and please, be super honest).
Screenshots coming soon~

Edit: Screenshots below.

Edited by Mizui

14 minutes ago, NocturnalVahey said:

pretty sexy. keep up the good work

Thanks, I'll try to keep it up \:D/

3 minutes ago, rytisrytis said:

I get titania/monster vibes from this helmet, would be cool if those bonds on the back of her head were organic or energy because saryn - toxic,virus,organic.

Thanks for the feedback. Something I'm considering doing is trying out some sort of particle from the ends to represent spores.
I was also considering covering the pipes in a membrane or something similar. :)

3 minutes ago, Mizui said:

Thanks for the feedback. Something I'm considering doing is trying out some sort of particle from the ends to represent spores.
I was also considering covering the pipes in a membrane or something similar. :)

That actually sounds really good, so far front side of the helmet looks great, will  be looking forward to finished version:)

12 hours ago, AlphaPHENIX said:

Cool, wondering a lot on a fitting name though. A voice in my head can't stop saying ''Predetor'', but I am not too sure.

I can see where you're coming from with the name. However I was thinking more along the lines of 'Breakout', because the idea is that the helmet was a prototype that failed, if that makes sense.

12 hours ago, fredaven said:

looking good, be sure to hammer home your line work so it not just scratches the surface or is to uneven

Thanks, I agree with the lines, I gotta work on those a lot more.

7 hours ago, Kyotra said:

Are you the guy who posted that Valkyr helm to the workshop? You sure seem to like your fins.

Haha, sadly no, I'm relatively new around here, many, many abandoned attempts at other stuff :P (although that helmet is very nice :D)

Edited by Mizui

2 hours ago, Mizui said:

I can see where you're coming from with the name. However I was thinking more along the lines of 'Breakout', because the idea is that the helmet was a prototype that failed, if that makes sense.

Thanks, I agree with the lines, I gotta work on those a lot more.

Haha, sadly no, I'm relatively new around here, many, many abandoned attempts at other stuff :P (although that helmet is very nice :D)

I thought, Alien Queen. The breakout part I definitely see, like the Kara Valkyr helmet. As for 'Breakout' I'd suggest some rip and tear effects to really hammer home the theme.

Quick update.

Not really intending to do much actual sculpting today, apart from the little I did earlier. So, instead, I did a little test polypaint to see how I wanted it to look.
Of course it's not 100% done, but this should give everyone a vague idea of what I'm going for with this.

Let me know what you guys think. :)

vOOzpH0.png
3SjLK6a.png

1 hour ago, Mizui said:

Quick update.

Not really intending to do much actual sculpting today, apart from the little I did earlier. So, instead, I did a little test polypaint to see how I wanted it to look.
Of course it's not 100% done, but this should give everyone a vague idea of what I'm going for with this.

Let me know what you guys think. :)

I think some of the ornaments on helmets front have disappeared. bottom picture has a lot of empty white space which is bugging me :/  

3 minutes ago, rytisrytis said:

I think some of the ornaments on helmets front have disappeared. bottom picture has a lot of empty white space which is bugging me :/  

Yeah, I removed one of the scars because I felt the face was too cluttered and I wanted the infestation to be more on one side than the other.
Basically I'm trying that out, if I don't like it being gone then I can always carve more cuts into her face \:D/

Edited by Mizui

3 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

Very nice!

i like how it flows from front to back ;D

Thanks, gone back on what I said earlier and working on the flowy lines now ;3

Edited by Mizui

Not a bad start. A few things to keep in mind with infested in particular:

-Infested's asymmetry is pretty extreme, so if you want to push it into that territory you will have to also push the primary/secondary forms, not just tertiary (surface level) detail. You'll want to go back to using some very large brushes and push and pull some fleshy masses that break silhouette. 

-Infested is supposed to be somewhat chaotic looking for sure, but it still follows the basic rules of flow and detail grouping, perhaps even moreso than other WF styles. You'll want to really emphasize a single unified flow of movement across the piece. Think about what each line says about that flow... does it truly add to it or does it complicate it without reason? You'll also want to group small focal point details together, and leave some areas open for the eye to rest. For example right now I see a lot of little dots of energy color but they don't cluster in areas that help tell a story of movement, they're just filling in shapes. Deep see creatures might help you here with the way their bioluminescence is composed.

Hope that helps! Keep up the good work!

51 minutes ago, Syncrasis said:

-Infested's asymmetry is pretty extreme, so if you want to push it into that territory you will have to also push the primary/secondary forms, not just tertiary (surface level) detail. You'll want to go back to using some very large brushes and push and pull some fleshy masses that break silhouette. 

-Infested is supposed to be somewhat chaotic looking for sure, but it still follows the basic rules of flow and detail grouping, perhaps even moreso than other WF styles. You'll want to really emphasize a single unified flow of movement across the piece. Think about what each line says about that flow... does it truly add to it or does it complicate it without reason? You'll also want to group small focal point details together, and leave some areas open for the eye to rest. For example right now I see a lot of little dots of energy color but they don't cluster in areas that help tell a story of movement, they're just filling in shapes. Deep see creatures might help you here with the way their bioluminescence is composed.

Thank you for the lengthy feedback.

With your point on asymmetry, I do have a plan to grow out the more infested side, make it, hopefully, much more tumour-like.

With the second part, I agree, I really need to work on how it all flows.

Thanks again for the feedback~ :)

13 hours ago, Syncrasis said:

I would have to agree with the dots on the right side.

But I still like it.

4 hours ago, Slendy-Broseph said:

I would have to agree with the dots on the right side.

But I still like it.

That's good! :3

Another quick update, I've mostly been working on the infested side today, bulked it out a bit more, added some overlapping to parts, etc.
Polypaint is still in the works of course, I've also been playing around with it, gonna start swapping colours out for tint colours when I'm happier with it.

Unpainted so far:

Spoiler

leetEL7.png
hbVnhx2.png
9BQdZUK.png

Rough painted:

Spoiler

1Lzr61l.png
3cwz3nt.png
q9HI0Lk.png
I imagine the darker pink to share a tint with the lighter, I'll darken the areas on the diffuse or summat. \:D/

I have also spent a small amount of time, for now, working on the pipes(Still not got round the the membrane stuff). As you can see, there is now a growth on the central one, a sort of gland, and there will be others on the two sides.

Close up of the gland:

Spoiler

YMLdWsv.png
4exJ6VU.png

That's all for now, as always, feedback much appreciated. <3

PS: Although I'm not currently doing so, in future I may occasionally stream me working over on my twitch (when I'm not busy or streaming other stuff...) so feel free to pop by. :)

Edit: I'm an idiot and didn't actually link my twitch, here - https://www.twitch.tv/mizuitime

Edited by Mizui

4 hours ago, Mizui said:

Another quick update, I've mostly been working on the infested side today, bulked it out a bit more, added some overlapping to parts, etc.
Polypaint is still in the works of course, I've also been playing around with it, gonna start swapping colours out for tint colours when I'm happier with it.

Unpainted so far:

Reveal hidden contents

leetEL7.png
hbVnhx2.png
9BQdZUK.png

Rough painted:

Reveal hidden contents

1Lzr61l.png
3cwz3nt.png
q9HI0Lk.png
I imagine the darker pink to share a tint with the lighter, I'll darken the areas on the diffuse or summat. \:D/

I have also spent a small amount of time, for now, working on the pipes(Still not got round the the membrane stuff). As you can see, there is now a growth on the central one, a sort of gland, and there will be others on the two sides.

Close up of the gland:

Reveal hidden contents

YMLdWsv.png
4exJ6VU.png

PS: Although I'm not currently doing so, in future I may occasionally stream me working over on my twitch (when I'm not busy or streaming other stuff...) so feel free to pop by. :)

Edit: I'm an idiot and didn't actually link my twitch, here - https://www.twitch.tv/mizuitime

Approved! giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Mizui said:

Unpainted so far:

Hide contents

leetEL7.png
hbVnhx2.png
9BQdZUK.png

Rough painted:

Hide contents

1Lzr61l.png
3cwz3nt.png
q9HI0Lk.png

Close up of the gland:

Hide contents

YMLdWsv.png
4exJ6VU.png

yesssss