Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Miz's Workshop | Saryn Helmet and Infested Syandana WIP

Mizui

2 hours ago, (PS4)Phoenix32778 said:

Its not bad at all. I was wondering how you were able to post a picture of your idea, I cant seem to figure / find a place to put mine of an Ash skin sketch

Do you mean adding a picture into the post? If so I just go to 'insert other media' and add an image from URL, hopefully that helps :)

2 hours ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

yessss more infested themed items 

Glad you like it :D

Yet another speedy update (I'm going to start leaving them for longer/waiting until I have something more substantial to show) where I've done some more work on the helmet.
Zm4N5jN.png

I think the next bit I'm going to work on is lines and where they go (possibly lessening the amount of infestation for a cleaner look), possibly making some 'interest points' near the scar and back of the head, we'll see what I come up with.
Any input is appreciated. ;)

Edited by Mizui

23 hours ago, Kothophed said:

I like the infested bits, they make it different from other Saryn stuff.  The others look far too clean for a disease/toxin frame.

Thanks for feedback, I'm trying not to go tooooo overboard with the infestation, I want to keep a side less overtaken with it to kind of preserve what the helmet would have looked like before it 'broke out', if you get me.

General announcement:
Currently streaming work on the syandana, may move over to helmet later, relink if anyone wants it: https://www.twitch.tv/mizuitime

Edited by Mizui

2 minutes ago, -Kyria- said:

hi i already give you enough feedback on steam but let's dump some opinions here too ok

Hide contents

fecyfk0.png

it's mainly rambling about colours and such but might help you out

...Well that was fun to read for some reason.
Right, to start with, I mainly did these colours as they're temporary and based on my in game colour scheme, although I do understand where you're coming from lol.
I did the more blue purple because It's armour plating as opposed to flesh, I basically want to represent that so as not to confuse others and, more importantly, me (I'm easily able to confuse myself).

Spoiler

This is best shown with a previous, cleaner interation of the helmet:
SVdDoLw.png

It's also rough, as I have said previously, probably will be for a loooong time ;_; . The weirdly intersecting stuff needs a lot of my attention, I need to make it look like it's on top instead of through, layering on stuff and making it 'fold'.
Overall thanks for the feedback, both on and off of this topic. :3

Only think I think I see that's problematic is that, unless one of those colors is un-tintable, you have too many colors. White, black, strawberry yogurt, blackberry/raspberry yogurt, grape, and pink energy (It makes sense for it to be energy, but maybe not?), making it 6 colors when we only have 5 tints. Now, that's not necessarily bad, as I think some un-tintable grey/black or even small white parts help when colors start to blend too much (solid blacks, too many of one color, etc) making it easier to color in some cases. Preferentially, I'd say the black should be the un-tintable one. But if you want them all to be colored, you might make strawberry and blackberry/raspberry yogurt the same tint, but make the diffuse mask darker where the blackberry/raspberry parts are, since they seem to be more or less the same hue/saturation. I think that'd make it close to the same look while keeping it all tintable.

But yeah, other than that I'm really digging the helm. The danglies at the back I'm a little skeptical on, but I'll wait till those are more fleshed-out. (badum tss)

3 minutes ago, KaraOgata said:

Only think I think I see that's problematic is that, unless one of those colors is un-tintable, you have too many colors. White, black, strawberry yogurt, blackberry/raspberry yogurt, grape, and pink energy (It makes sense for it to be energy, but maybe not?), making it 6 colors when we only have 5 tints. Now, that's not necessarily bad, as I think some un-tintable grey/black or even small white parts help when colors start to blend too much (solid blacks, too many of one color, etc) making it easier to color in some cases. Preferentially, I'd say the black should be the un-tintable one. But if you want them all to be colored, you might make strawberry and blackberry/raspberry yogurt the same tint, but make the diffuse mask darker where the blackberry/raspberry parts are, since they seem to be more or less the same hue/saturation. I think that'd make it close to the same look while keeping it all tintable.

But yeah, other than that I'm really digging the helm. The danglies at the back I'm a little skeptical on, but I'll wait till those are more fleshed-out. (badum tss)

Hello. I noticed this a few days ago myself, and you're right, I'm one colour over (I don't want the black, that was more of a base thing, may come into use later though for dark recesses). I agree with what you said about the diffuse, making it darker. Also yeah, the pink is energy. To go back to the black and how i do colours, we'll have to see how I do the rest of the helmet, I still have the entirety of the back to work on, still trying to work out how to do it.

Thanks for your feedback! ^^

2 hours ago, Mizui said:

...Well that was fun to read for some reason.

it's because of my cute handwriting of course

2 hours ago, Mizui said:

Right, to start with, I mainly did these colours as they're temporary and based on my in game colour scheme, although I do understand where you're coming from lol.
I did the more blue purple because It's armour plating as opposed to flesh, I basically want to represent that so as not to confuse others and, more importantly, me (I'm easily able to confuse myself).

aye, your in-game scheme looks fine, your in-game just has a lot more black than white compared to the screenshot here. place your tints in a way that would make your current scheme look good and the helmet should transfer nicely into other schemes too, as long as you match primary / secondary / highlights on the existing Saryn skins to the same slots on your helmet.

by flesh are we talking infested flesh? I'm seeing it more as whatever material Excalibur's back is made of, while the rest is metal like Exc's front. otherwise the fleshy parts would take on more infested looking colours as a contrast to the armour plating as opposed to compliment.

if you're going to confuse yourself doing tennogen use 4 distinct colours in development? red, green, yellow and blue. energy can be white.

2 hours ago, Mizui said:
Spoiler

This is best shown with a previous, cleaner interation of the helmet:
SVdDoLw.png

that's definitely a lot cleaner- the indented parts would have looked good in infested colours for sure as a contrast to the rest. the newer one is definitely more fitting for Saryn though.

2 hours ago, Mizui said:

It's also rough, as I have said previously, probably will be for a loooong time ;_; . The weirdly intersecting stuff needs a lot of my attention, I need to make it look like it's on top instead of through, layering on stuff and making it 'fold'.

some of that intersecting stuff could easily stay how it is if you use planes and a webbing texture or blend in different layers on your diffuse to make it look like it's grown around it. it doesn't necessarily have to be pushed behind or grow fully around something.

look near the guy's feet here, and it looks like DE did a similar thing in-game here.

Overall thanks for the feedback, both on and off of this topic. :3

felt like doing something more than "is it good?" -> "yes" for once

edit:

nice

Spoiler

08cf9fbe88.png

Edited by -Kyria-
fixed some inaccuracy

On 10/21/2016 at 11:08 AM, Mizui said:

Hello. I noticed this a few days ago myself, and you're right, I'm one colour over (I don't want the black, that was more of a base thing, may come into use later though for dark recesses). I agree with what you said about the diffuse, making it darker. Also yeah, the pink is energy. To go back to the black and how i do colours, we'll have to see how I do the rest of the helmet, I still have the entirety of the back to work on, still trying to work out how to do it.

Thanks for your feedback! ^^

Ahhh okay, it's more placeholder than anything. Coolio, just wondered. It really does look fantastic so far ^_^

Happy to help!

On 10/21/2016 at 6:55 PM, -Kyria- said:

it's because of my cute handwriting of course

aye, your in-game scheme looks fine, your in-game just has a lot more black than white compared to the screenshot here. place your tints in a way that would make your current scheme look good and the helmet should transfer nicely into other schemes too, as long as you match primary / secondary / highlights on the existing Saryn skins to the same slots on your helmet.

by flesh are we talking infested flesh? I'm seeing it more as whatever material Excalibur's back is made of, while the rest is metal like Exc's front. otherwise the fleshy parts would take on more infested looking colours as a contrast to the armour plating as opposed to compliment.

if you're going to confuse yourself doing tennogen use 4 distinct colours in development? red, green, yellow and blue. energy can be white.

that's definitely a lot cleaner- the indented parts would have looked good in infested colours for sure as a contrast to the rest. the newer one is definitely more fitting for Saryn though.

some of that intersecting stuff could easily stay how it is if you use planes and a webbing texture or blend in different layers on your diffuse to make it look like it's grown around it. it doesn't necessarily have to be pushed behind or grow fully around something.

look near the guy's feet here, and it looks like DE did a similar thing in-game here.

felt like doing something more than "is it good?" -> "yes" for once

Clearly.
I kinda messed up there, what I meant to say is my secondary main scheme, I made a slightly altered version in much similar colours to this helmet, and yeah, I do need to work on the matching of colours, a lot. Very glad that it's fitting, otherwise this would be kinda pointless. :D
I agree with you on the intersecting stuff, I could do that, and very well might, but I I also want to have it look like it's properly going over it anyway.
Thanks for the... (very) expanded feedback.

21 hours ago, Kothophed said:

This helmet will look great with the embolist armor!

I really hope so, that would be awesome. :P

3 hours ago, Syncrasis said:

Out of curiosity, have you seen this timelapse for the Scoliac? It might help!

I have indeed, been using it as a sort of loose reference from time to time, what I'm trying to do is make some 'distinctive' infestation without trying to stray too far away from the general theme, I suppose it's possibly a slightly altered strain or something (would certainly fit in with the lore idea I have).

2 hours ago, KaraOgata said:

Ahhh okay, it's more placeholder than anything. Coolio, just wondered. It really does look fantastic so far ^_^

Happy to help!

Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update time!

Although this wasn't my original intention, I've spent a lot more time working on the syandana over the helmet. I will definitely get some more helmet work done over the next week though.

I'm not 100% sure on this syandana, definitely much improved, although still very much WIP, but I need some other people's thoughts on the infestiness of it, so please all feedback is welcome (I know I say that too much but it's true, I very much expect to have everything about my work criticised :D).

Spoiler

KGbrzSz.png
AdOfphB.png
POMxJ0H.png
The little circular bit sticking out of the main body is where I plan to put the join between syandana and frame.

Edited by Mizui

13 hours ago, Mizui said:

Clearly.
I kinda messed up there, what I meant to say is my secondary main scheme, I made a slightly altered version in much similar colours to this helmet, and yeah, I do need to work on the matching of colours, a lot. Very glad that it's fitting, otherwise this would be kinda pointless. :D
I agree with you on the intersecting stuff, I could do that, and very well might, but I I also want to have it look like it's properly going over it anyway.
Thanks for the... (very) expanded feedback.

I really hope so, that would be awesome. :P

I have indeed, been using it as a sort of loose reference from time to time, what I'm trying to do is make some 'distinctive' infestation without trying to stray too far away from the general theme, I suppose it's possibly a slightly altered strain or something (would certainly fit in with the lore idea I have).

Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update time!

Although this wasn't my original intention, I've spent a lot more time working on the syandana over the helmet. I will definitely get some more helmet work done over the next week though.

I'm not 100% sure on this syandana, definitely much improved, although still very much WIP, but I need some other people's thoughts on the infestiness of it, so please all feedback is welcome (I know I say that too much but it's true, I very much expect to have everything about my work criticised :D).

Hide contents

KGbrzSz.png
AdOfphB.png
POMxJ0H.png
The little circular bit sticking out of the main body is where I plan to put the join between syandana and frame.

I would suggest making the tubes more uneven by adding some more infestation.

Syandana Update

Time for another update, made the decision to get the syandana done before resuming the helmet properly, and to that end I have somewhat drastically redesigned parts of the syandana, so please let me know what y'all think.

Intending for the pipes at the top to pump out spores or something along those lines.

Spoiler

XWgzioy.png
W0vI9ot.png
JL7Jssg.png
y7m9TXe.png
rWHd3va.png
jeNDPLR.png

Edited by Mizui

On 11/2/2016 at 11:38 AM, Rosellaa said:

As a Saryn main and addict. I love love LOVE this. I'd preorder it if I could lol. I am getting some Nyx helmet vibes though.

Keep it up! <3

Thanks ^-^
I agree with you on the Nyx vibes tho, I suspect due to the crest(s)? May be playing with then some time soon, we shall see.

14 hours ago, Mizui said:

Thanks ^-^
I agree with you on the Nyx vibes tho, I suspect due to the crest(s)? May be playing with then some time soon, we shall see.

I'm getting the nyx vibes due to the 'horn' I suppose. But I am really curious on how the finished product will look. Please don't give up on it!   

tumblr_ogbnrwmTZ81vr4f20o1_540.jpg

4 hours ago, Rosellaa said:

I'm getting the nyx vibes due to the 'horn' I suppose. But I am really curious on how the finished product will look. Please don't give up on it!   

tumblr_ogbnrwmTZ81vr4f20o1_540.jpg

I agree with you and I will try not to give up, been starting to get back into the mood of doing it so I may go back on my decision to leave it until after syandana, who knows.