Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More dual swords, and blade length does matter

(PSN)Keaurl

I only mean this as an observation, and a picky one at that, but this is getting under my skin more and more...

I understand some people feel the game is saturated with dual sword weapons, but all I see besides the dex dakra are sword and dagger combos being called dual swords (I don't consider kama/tonfa/axe/claw weapons in the same category just cause you hold one in each hand...) It’s frustrating for a ninja gaiden vet who misses his even length dual katanas. So sexy! Even when the dark split sword came out, it was still the dark dagger copy-pasted to the bottom of the sword, just like all the others. I was excited to use a new high level dual sword, but their blade length was honestly enough to discourage me. I get that this is extremely picky, but I feel it justified in a game where easily a third of the experience is customization and aesthetics. Been playing for just under a year, and every time a new “dual sword” comes out, or even a skin for one, its always uneven length. I almost feel like DE is trying to get someone to call them on this…dual swords are even length…a sword used in tandem with a dagger…is a sword and dagger.

There isn’t even a way to choose which hand holds the sword and which holds the dagger, if they are going to have it this way. The dagger is usually held in the off-hand with a long sword/dagger pairing, but whether you’re a righty or southpaw you always hold the long sword in your left hand in-game. It’s actually a bit of an eyesore, and I have heard people talk about previous versions of the dual heat sword which actually had even length blades, and when the devs changed it people complained for the same reason and stopped using them as much. It’s been brought up before but got shot down saying it wasn’t enough of an issue to devote the time to. How much time do you need to just copy the sword model into the other hand instead of the dagger? It feels like a deliberate mistake that they just hope people will stop noticing…

Not to mention, it feels like all the heaviest hitters right now are all big two-handers. War, scindo, galatine, fragor, heliocor, sibear...The market's flooded, and there has been little else added for dual wields (or single blades for that matter) which compares on a similar level. It'd be nice to see a new addition (with even length blades) compete with the prisma cleavers and prime kamas, like how broken war put the prisma skana and dakra prime to rest...

WOW NICE

i allways had that feeling... dual swords not being actually dual swords prevented me to use them at all

as a side note Real dual Swords and "dagger and swords"  should have separated stances

Strangely enough the holster way is perfect for dagger and sword (while being sad for dual swords)

fight but the actual stances look like real dual swords atacks and dont use the adventage of having a lighter weapon in one hand

Even if it s only a litle change dager and sword should be faster than dual swords and dual swords should be stronger with more parying ability

Edited by Tsoe

Perhaps the reason most of them are Sword and Dagger combos is the simple fact that having two swords of equal length (at least swords that are effective on their own and not floppy pieces of garbage) wouldn't be effective in the slightest. The weight would be wonky and the swords would likely get in the way of each other.

Yes, this is a video game. Yes, suspension of disbelief. Yes. I get it.

2 hours ago, Chipputer said:

Perhaps the reason most of them are Sword and Dagger combos is the simple fact that having two swords of equal length (at least swords that are effective on their own and not floppy pieces of garbage) wouldn't be effective in the slightest. The weight would be wonky and the swords would likely get in the way of each other.

Yes, this is a video game. Yes, suspension of disbelief. Yes. I get it.

Wielding 2 swords of equal length is actually better than holding 1 sword and 1 smaller weapon / buckler because it eliminates the weakness of having one side (the side with the shorter weapon) being more vulnerable than the other due to lack of reach. The reason it is uncommon and  considered ineffective is because holding 2 swords of equal length requires ambidexterity, a rare trait, so it's easier to hold a smaller weapon in the non-dominant arm as opposed to a full sized sword.

But warframes are war machines. They should be ambidextrous. Right? :(

Offtopic: is there a way to switch which hand your warframe holds its weapons? 

1 minute ago, Heckzu said:

Wielding 2 swords of equal length is actually better than holding 1 sword and 1 smaller weapon / buckler because it eliminates the weakness of having one side (the side with the shorter weapon) being more vulnerable than the other due to lack of reach. The reason it is uncommon and  considered ineffective is because holding 2 swords of equal length requires ambidexterity, a rare trait, so it's easier to hold a smaller weapon in the non-dominant arm as opposed to a full sized sword.

True points! They are both historically documented styles of fencing, but subtly different - enough not to be confused with one another. The off-hand dagger used in fencing had more specific roles and tactics, especially if it were a sword breaker, as the toothed edge allowed for more trapping maneuvers. Whereas, as stated, an ambidextrous fighter with an equal length blade in each hand could switch back and forth with offensive and defensive tactics on both sides, which is just as ferocious as it is confusing.

Anyhow, cool to see this get such constructive feedback. Hoping to see some more even length dual blades worth using...dual zoren Prime, while not swords, would be amazing! Dual ether prime, or perhaps prisma dual ether...description of normal ones says they're so sharp they were almost considered a more humane weapon for cleansing allies, so you'd think it'd have loads of crit...none! Dex dakra prime, or again prisma would be cool, with stats similar to prime kamas maybe, or at least decent friggin speed...those things swing as slow as the fragor! As an original concept, i really like the idea of dualing a couple spartan lakonian shortswords...brought them one step closer to their enemy :)

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 6:04 PM, Tsoe said:

Strangely enough the holster way is perfect for dagger and sword (while being sad for dual swords)

Had to bump this just once to agree with you cause I have a sneaking suspicion this might actually be the reason they did that in the first place. Simply because the dagger fits neatly across the back and the longer sword down the shoulder next to where the primary hangs. It just becomes a poor rationalization after a while when clearly a lot of gear loses favor over it. I think it's safe to say a fair amount of sword knowledgables/nerds out there play this game and would appreciate the attention to detail, not to mention the freedom of choice. In Skyrim, for example, you could equip a dagger in one hand and a mace in the other if you wanted. There. I've said my piece. 

11 hours ago, (PS4)Mofojokers said:

My Wish ☺

Give us Duel Prime Nikanas

Seriously, how do you have any kind of a ninja game without dual katanas of some kind? We kinda need this...and then make some symmetrical prisma dual skana as an alternative at lower rank requirement maybe?

I just want dual sword blade-length equality once and for all! When will the off-hand segregation end!?