Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[NPC Concept] Kuebiko the hacker

trunks013

wGeVIZx.jpg

Kuebiko is an ally to the tenno specialized in hacking. 
He is well known for is knowledge about Weapons and Mods.

Particular traits

Seems like he don't age : He is still young but didn't went into cryosleep .
    Inability to walk : He seems to be able to rotate around and use is hand but often refer to is inability to walk "Stay there i'm gonna go for a walk ... aww man" 
    Extensive knowledge about weapons , mods and history.

Personality traits

Kuebiko is a friendly motor-mouth colloquial speaker.
    He often replace or add the word "thingy" in multiple sentence.
    Kuebiko seems to have a deep attachement to the tenno but the reasons seems unknown.
    Really often refer to history facts and fairytales

The Main Idea
Kuebiko introduction is for tutorial purpose. I know we already have a tutorial section but not a lot of new player goes trought it.
Having a character speaking to them might be easyer to start with.
With a character like this we can introduce short tutorial on mission types / crafting / starchart / dammage and many other features.
I have shown warframe to a lot of my friends and they all have the same problem at first. 
For them there is too much content and no straigth path first to give them an idea of what they can or must do.
Kuebiko can also be used as a reason why the orbiter gets upgraded.

Idea source
I always try to help new tenno so no surprise my first concept is a new player helper NPC.
Kuebiko is from japanese god of knowledge and agriculture. Often refered as scarecrow who cannot walk but has comprehensive awareness

Character introduction
Upon activating the Arsenal. After Ordis current speech.
Ordis glitchy voice : System Override Orbiter self destruction sequence activated
Ordis regular voice : Kuebiko ! Its the operator stop the sequence
Kuebiko: *taps in the cam lens* What the ... YOU'RE AWAKE ! WHOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO !
Ordis glitchy voice : System Override Orbiter self destruction sequence disabled
Kuebiko: Sorry about that. We installed counter mesure after the orbiter was scavenged the first time
Ordis regular voice : Thanks you Kuebiko.
Kuebiko: Nah ! You made my day !
Ordis regular voice : The communication system has been removed how can you still communicate with us ?
Kuebiko: They didn't removed the basic communication system. Still limited in functionality you should get the main one back.

Tutorial example

Upon first activation of the arsenal

Kuebiko: Hey ! So its been a while since you have put mods on warframe and weapons. Do you want a little refresh on modding ?
- Answer Yes : you will be shown a little tutorial by Kuebiko on basic moding ( no mention about lens here because its not in the starter)
    Basic mod turotial

Kuebiko: Allright lets start with warframes !
        Kuebiko: You see those Numbers right there ?
        Interface: Highlight Mods capacity numbers
        Kuebiko: Those are your mods capacity.
        Kuebiko: It means more you install Mods in this area
        Interface: Highlight the mods area ( excluding the aura and the exilus slot)
        Kuebiko: The capacity available will reduce based on this number.
        Interface: Highlight a mod capacity requirement
        Kuebiko: Those little dots indicate the current rank of the mod and the max rank you can acces
        Kuebiko: Higher is the rank, higher is the cost.
        Interface: Highlight a mod rank
        Kuebiko: You see those symbols thingy 
        Interface: Highlight all the polarity
        Kuebiko: Those are called polarity. 
        Kuebiko: If you match the polarity the cost of your mode will be the half rounded up
        Kuebiko: If you do not match the polarity the cost will increase by 25 percent
        Kuebiko: Now for the Aura section
        Interface: Highlight the aura slot
        Kuebiko: The aura will give you additional capacity.
        Kuebiko: If you match the polarity it will double.
        Kuebiko: If not it will reduce the bonus given by 20%.
        Kuebiko: This locked section right there
        Interface: Highlight the Exilus slot
        Kuebiko: its unlocked by installing an Exilus Adapter
        Kuebiko: Speaking of upgrades ! There are 3 you can use on a warframe.
        Kuebiko: First the orokin reactor. It double the amout of capacity you can use.
        Kuebiko: No matter if you install it on unranked or ranked warframe you will have no lost.
        Kuebiko: Second the Forma. You can only use a forma on a max rank warframes or weapons.
        Kuebiko: It will reset your warframes or weapons to unranked but allow you to put a polarity on a slot or to change one.
        Kuebiko: Third the Exilus adapter. It unlocks the Exilus section to allow you to put more mods on your warframe.
        Kuebiko: Now lets see the weapons
        Kuebiko: You can see there is no Aura or exilus here. The same basic logic for mods can be applyed here.
        Kuebiko: You can upgrade a weapon with an orokin catalyst to double your capacity just like the orokin reactor for the warframe
        Kuebiko: For melee weapons you have a stance section. If you equip a stance it will give you more capacity like an aura.
        Kuebiko: But instead of having an effect it will actually give you multiple melee combo you can do if the stance mod is ranked.
        Kuebiko: That's pretty much it ! Have fun !

- Answer no : 
        Kuebiko: I know its like running a bike. You can always ask me later by using this call button
        Interface: Highlight the Tutorial button

Thanks for reading this ! Feel free to give me some feedbacks. Keep in mind its my first Fan Concept.

PS: This is just a quick draft to get an idea of the character. The whole idea is an open concept we can add stuff on the go.
PS2: Sorry for bad grammar and typos ^.^ 

Edited by trunks013

I'm all for enriching the Warframe universe with new and helpful NPC's and there's nothing inherently wrong with it, but I feel the tutorial side of things is probably best, thematically, if left to the Lotus as she is supposed to be the one guiding the Tenno. Perhaps that role has been diminished slightly due to the inclusion of Ordis as he carries some of that responsibility when it comes to the Liset, but I don't think adding a 3rd NPC to fill that role is unnecessary. 

I agree that getting the Tutorial information upfront to players is something definitely needed and isn't currently direct, but I still feel that role could/should be left to the Lotus or at the very least, Ordis as they're both involved with helping or guiding the Tenno in some way. Perhaps it's because the Lotus' role isn't quite as defined as Ordis. He controls the ship and all its functions, so anything relating to the ship is his domain. Lotus was introduced as and has been, even now, a fairly mysterious figure in terms of her limits and full abilities (We have a long list already) and she appears to be covering a lot of bases in terms of roles for the player but her main role has always been Guiding the Tenno.  

That's really my only criticism, however. 

I'd love to have another character you could interact with regularly as you progress and Kuebiko sounds like a hoot. Darvo is a good example of a character who pops in and out, but isn't an ever present figure like the Lotus or Ordis. We could use more of them.

14 minutes ago, Haldos said:

I'm all for enriching the Warframe universe with new and helpful NPC's and there's nothing inherently wrong with it, but I feel the tutorial side of things is probably best, thematically, if left to the Lotus as she is supposed to be the one guiding the Tenno. Perhaps that role has been diminished slightly due to the inclusion of Ordis as he carries some of that responsibility when it comes to the Liset, but I don't think adding a 3rd NPC to fill that role is unnecessary. 

I agree that getting the Tutorial information upfront to players is something definitely needed and isn't currently direct, but I still feel that role could/should be left to the Lotus or at the very least, Ordis as they're both involved with helping or guiding the Tenno in some way. Perhaps it's because the Lotus' role isn't quite as defined as Ordis. He controls the ship and all its functions, so anything relating to the ship is his domain. Lotus was introduced as and has been, even now, a fairly mysterious figure in terms of her limits and full abilities (We have a long list already) and she appears to be covering a lot of bases in terms of roles for the player but her main role has always been Guiding the Tenno.  

That's really my only criticism, however. 

I'd love to have another character you could interact with regularly as you progress and Kuebiko sounds like a hoot. Darvo is a good example of a character who pops in and out, but isn't an ever present figure like the Lotus or Ordis. We could use more of them.

Thanks for the feedback ^.^

My understanding of the lotus was like she is more important than this. The Lotus will be like you need to do this to keep the whole system safe. I'm not realy seeing her explaining a tenno how to use mods/catalyst/orokin reactor.

The main idea is totaly not to push aside the Lotus but quite the oposite. I see Kuebiko more like the guy who the Lotus entrusted with those tasks.

Edited by trunks013

I agree with @Haldos in the aspect that the tutorial stuff should be left to Ordis and Lotus. Your idea for a tutorial walk-through is pretty spot on though and I think it would be a great addition to the "new player experience!

Maybe Kuebiko could be used as a historian kind of person, like a second Codex. Someone we can visit in a relay and/or via a ship console and we can get some brief explanation on known lore and events (because its a lot easier to hear lore points rather than reading deep into codex entries) or someone that can explain the aftermath of "game altering" events such as the Cicero Crisis or Operation: Tubemen of Regor