Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does Grinlok needs a buff?

Artekkor

5 hours ago, Artek94 said:

Or Grinlok Being implied to be a Status Weapon even though status builds are worthless on weapons that do not have decent fire rate / attack speed (grakata, karak wraith, braton and burston primes, knives) or at the very least NOT having all 3 primary physical damage types in the stats to reduce amount of different possible status effects to proc making the desired ones more constant (Twin Basolks).

Slow-firing status weapons are great at killing with Viral/Slash procs and applying Gas and Electric procs to kill in AOE, as well as the usual usage for CC purposes (continuous weapons can also excel at this.)  There is more to status than just hosing enemies with Corrosive procs (which only do anything against one [broken] faction anyway.)

7 hours ago, Artek94 said:

Or Grinlok Being implied to be a Status Weapon even though status builds are worthless on weapons that do not have decent fire rate / attack speed (grakata, karak wraith, braton and burston primes, knives) or at the very least NOT having all 3 primary physical damage types in the stats to reduce amount of different possible status effects to proc making the desired ones more constant (Twin Basolks).

But... they're not... worthless on low fire rate weapons?

Grinlok is a middling weapon. It is capable of both status and crit and a middle-road build on it will give you a happy sweet spot. I purposefully used just the augment for my crit and used 90% elementals. I proc a status every other shot, often a Slash proc (crit + headshot), and I deal decent damage that way. I also often use Adarza so I end up with 100% crit for 10 seconds quite often.

Even without Adarza, the Grinlok is far from terrible. Not only is it a well balanced weapon, it is also a fun weapon to use and a fun weapon to watch in use. It feels like no other weapon does. The weapon is not bad simply because it doesn't follow some arbitrary rules that you've been told.

6 hours ago, LeighWong said:

Let's face it, all sniper rifles need a buff.  The big sniper rifle changes helped, just nowhere near enough.  Until that family gets re-visited again, they are all just fun weapons or mastery fodder.

The grinlok has always been an underwhelming weapon.  I wanted it to be good, but it has always fallen short in the actual performance.

all they need is a base punchthrough of 1-2 meters, and the lanka and snipetron vandal are fine as is

Grinlok is quite well balanced as it stands. the Augment gives it valuable features (and allows it to become a pretty reliable Crit Weapon*). only deserving slightly higher Rate of Fire, slightly higher Status (to compete with some other Status Weapons), and a slightly larger 'Magazine'.
but ofcourse, in Warframe, a Balanced Weapon is 'complete garbage to never be used for anything'.

Marelok is the one that does more Damage than deserved (among a few other Weapons in same Archetype nowadays).

*: Grinlok is highly Accurate (not pinpoint, but it's close, in the same ballpark as average Weapon Spread in Battlefield - which is very low) on the first shot or Shots taken with pauses. if one tries to be a 'cowboy' and bump fire it, Accuracy gets quite poor. this is an excellent probably accidental feature of the Weapon.
67.5% Crit Chance is great for a DMR, and coupled with how nuts Weakpoint Crits are means Grinlok definitely deals DMR Damage (it's closer to Sniper Rifle tbh, it's a Heavy DMR). and then ofcourse the things that Crits due to some Status Effects...

(Grinlok and Marelok also should feature Sequential Reloading...)

classroom time - in Video Game Weapon Balance, a Spike Damage Weapon can never have more or similar DPS than a Bullet Hose.
if a Spike Damage Weapon does have close or the same/higher DPS than a Bullet Hose, it is Overpowered. as it now has completely defeated another Archetype of Weapon from use.
people that use DPS comparisons as ways to balance Video Games which feature varying Weapon Archetypes are being naive and i would recommend 'letting the pros handle it'.

8 hours ago, Artek94 said:

Like Latron Prime having x2.5 crit damage but only having 15% crit chance (37,5% with Point Strike (PS)) therefore you are more likely not to crit (also extremely low reload speed)

or at the very least NOT having all 3 primary physical damage types in the stats to reduce amount of different possible status effects to proc making the desired ones more constant (Twin Basolks).

another very balanced Weapon! Crit Chance could stand to be very slightly higher (probably 16%). but Latron Prime is Balanced.

if a Weapon has ANY Physical Damage, the same problems that come from Weapons which have all three Physical Types will still be present, in regards to Elemental Status.
Grinlok appreciates its Weakpoint Crit Slash Status though, on top of being able to sufficiently apply Status Effects which don't need to be stacked.

Edited by taiiat