Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

IceFlame's Foundry Attempts -Limbo?-

IceFlame1019

Limbo gets so little love :c
So, here's a remodel-skin set I'm hoping to complete and upload to the Workshop

I'm not very experienced with sculpting but I'm going to attempt this in Sculptris, unless someone wants to help and split the credits with me?  I'm really looking to learn sculpting myself but video tutorials only really go so far since you can't ask them questions like you can an actual person ^^; I'd love to collaborate with someone, working alone on designs has gotten really boring these last few years :c

Limbo Reskin Design -roughdraft 1-
2016sketchtober07_by_iceflame1019-dalegt
I have an updated sketch in the works, with a revised head/hat interconnection and better foot flares, but the basic gist is I wanted to create a skin more evocative of his power visual effects.  The syandana is being reworked as well.  Second sketch will have a back view too and a pose view of him holding his hat.

Edited by IceFlame1019

Still wondering if I can get the thread moved ^^; or should I just restart it in the Tennogen area...blegh.

Either way, a little update.
I'm still refining the sketch but I derped around a bit in Blender just fiddling with the existing mesh.  Did it to figure out how he's built, and if I could make a reskin with what's already there instead of having to start all over from scratch so there's less weighting  work afterwards? 

cbe37b6ec4b244f78877175465df6c2d.png

I rather like how the chest area turned out with the "frill" attempt, and the shoulders, but after looking over this result I feel I'm gonna have to go to Sculptris and sculpt him out as was my original idea.  Wanted to see how far I could get with this idea though. 
This one would look much better with the textures and normals, of course.
His head, I definitely need to sculpt from scratch.  Rearranging the vertices already there is a bit too complex for me at the moment.
Also realized that unlike most of the other Frames, he's built in two main pieces; his lower body and upper body are two separate halves overlapping, which may not work well for the more "open" front design on the sketch.  Lots to consider here, lol.  But, doing this derpage in Blender gave me more to go on for revising the sketch to fit more with how he's built.

EDIT:
Derped a bit in sculptris to rough up some different styles of the feather.  I think this is the one I'll use as a basis.

4ddf730f9f47c1ea72ec9055af98673e.png

EDIT 2:
Couldn't sleep.  Derped more with Blender's sculpting tools to refine the head and then shape up a rough hat.
0fc3e5b6146ea9761aebaa416c21730d.png50afee7fcec675948f3f235b7896d9f9.png

Edited by IceFlame1019

More progress on the hat sculpting, but now the real challenge begins: hollowing out the underside to make room for the top of his head.

dc14585f3a3039b1c8867a22aba3e8c4.png51bb08a6a91b8b12b3ec89ab3cfec89d.png

As I was sculpting it I rather liked the swirly "bars" along the sides of the hat (would likely have the energy colors along them), but now on second look I'm not so sure.  I may smooth them out and shape it more like the actual sketch.

On 11/3/2016 at 6:07 PM, Kyotra said:

I'd make the 'feather' part of the hat rather than the base. A design that actually relies on clipping to work is just....I don't see it looking too hot in motion.

It's actually not clipping.  :D

Top-down view:
398c3aaeb0285e8c557bcfe34620b655.png

The hat is still very rough and I'm refining it more, but ideally it's going to be spiral-themed like the rest of the body sketch.

However, I am toying with an alternate version where the feather (or part of it at least) is on the hat rather than the head like in the original sketch, to reduce the "clipping". 

On 11/3/2016 at 5:00 PM, [DE]Taylor said:

Moved to the TennoGen subforum!

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_m9rk3alVIg1r6k2zao1_500.gif

Edited by IceFlame1019
Formatting glitched o_O boy I'm just striking out left and right here D:

Quick tip: You're basically providing DE with a material set ONLY when you make a skin for the body, so basically just keep in mind that your textures will be added to a mesh that's already rigged and in the game. You can't alter the low poly that's in the game. When you make your own new high poly sculpt of the body for the skin, you will bake that onto the existing low poly.

Helmet is fine to go nuts with of course... you make your own lowpoly for that. 

Well, I know there's the simple re-texture for the body, but Limbo's got a few mesh nuances that make it hard to work a new texture onto him, moreso than most of the other frames, like that little gold "E" wire on the right of his chest.

No harm in trying though, right? ^^;

But yeah, the main focus of this is a new hat, though I would like to see a different actual body mesh for him as well, kind of like how there's a Proto Excalibur skin.

Problem I've found though is that I can only work with Blender and I can't find the seams on his body/head for guidance with either the .OBJ or the .FBX files.  :x so...skinning him is gonna be a challenge.

Edited by IceFlame1019

More progress pics:

c60a9b804b375aa56a498ec92c7e9382.png437db20ba6209ad52f939d743c051efe.png

Comparison with the body:
a55f8bb2c5c5367336e890c75dece3eb.png

Hat alone:
fbffc3539adcdd1b2cd56eb333833753.png
Back
f45d0bb6c9f44be5860861d17e9f93a1.png
Side Angle
32217f6e2b5ce6f2505ca0e0b77a3b01.png

Still gotta smooth it out a bit but I think it's ready for some test coloring at least.  Gonna let it sit a few days again and then return to it.  I'm already debating removing the second spiral-arm from the non-feather side, but we'll see.  I like the more uniform spiral shape throughout compared to earlier.

It took a fair bit more time but earlier I had forgotten to account for "fitting" the details of the top of his head. 
a5d224a7f89913ec972dd527d07b7486.png
Now it actually fits the top of his head like his other hats do, for the most part.
Spent some time remodeling it from scratch by filling in the grooves with Meta shapes and then adding onto them to make the hat rough, then exported that into Sculptris to refine the shape.

On 11/19/2016 at 4:43 PM, WarframeWins said:

Little late to the party on this post, but that looks pretty good. Limbo being my favorite frame, I'd buy just the helmet if it could make it into the game.

Yay thanks, lol

I'm still in the process of texturing, and getting a normal map established, but work's gotten in the way.  I may need to see if I can find someone more experienced in texturing these items for some pointers @_@

Some more doodles:

029bbcf1ec27598edbca43c9d35493aa.png

Just gotta make/bake a normal map.
Unfortunately, having been away from modeling for a while, I forgot that the new Blender internals don't just automatically make a Normal map of what you have selected, you have to make a high-res detail copy.  And usually, it's that copy that gets decimated to the low-poly game model... soooo derp.  I gotta go the hard way and duplicate this, add a few subdivision levels, and sculpt the "physical" details.  So for now I'm just kinda scribbling on him to figure out how best I want to physically texture, since this has evolved/deviated from the original sketch. 

When I get the colors in, the central ridge of his hat will be an energy line, sweeping along the brim on his left that's wrapped around the feather.

I may need to flatten out the spiral on his right side so they're not so finger-like.

On 11/25/2016 at 4:01 PM, IceFlame1019 said:

.......well, there goes my weekend. 
*now has myriads of possible designs floating around in the brain*
I am compelled to forge such a device.

These designs remind me of the concept sketches for some characters in the mistborn series.

Spoiler

JeHoy.png

It's pretty sick.

Edited by Shreiko

43 minutes ago, Shreiko said:

These designs remind me of the concept sketches for some characters in the mistborn series.

Reveal hidden contents

JeHoy.png

It's pretty sick.

What is that exactly? oO

also, I've hit a wall I may not be able to surpass with my current equipment.  :/

If any Tennogen "veterans" read this, what's the level of poly detail you use for creating the Normal map for your submissions?  Or do you use some sort of art program to custom-draw the Normals?

My computer can't handle the level of poly detail I'd like to get to in order to render up a Normal map with the finer lines seen on Limbo's body, so...how do you go about this?  I've been Googling it but most resources just say that the high-res model should be in the "millions" of polys.  Blender is lagging beyond 200k, and for some reason I can't get the model to import into Sculptris, I get an error saying "Too many connections to a vertex (max 24)" though I don't have any such vertex overloads.