Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

IceFlame's Foundry Attempts -Limbo?-

IceFlame1019

20 hours ago, Rekkou said:

If your PC can't handle too many polys, i suggest splitting your models into smaller models and sculpt them separately

I found a way to do it, I had totally forgotten about the Dyntopo functions that only add polys where you're sculpting.
Now I just need to figure out where this "Circular Reference in texture stack" error is coming from.  Didn't start popping up until I made the high-res copy.  Preeeetty sure that's not supposed to happen.

7 hours ago, led2012WF said:

how to sculpt on a low end PC?
Learn and use zbrush. Dyntopo on blender is so unoptimized that you can feel the lag at around 100k polys. 
I use both and I just use blender now for organizing the meshes. 

I'd love to but Zbrush is too expensive for me right now.
Maybe if this hat can generate some revenue for me I can afford to pick it up and really get down to business, but I'm only experienced in freeware and loaned copies of Photoshop and I know there's only a small chance I'll actually get this Greenlit for Tennogen inclusion.  At the moment I'm saving what I can for a slightly better computer that can handle my other game design stuff in addition to the 3D, along with ZBrush and some other programs that aren't freeware, but for now I'm using what I can to try to get up off the ground first.  It's not ideal, but it's all I've got unless I can find a more stable employment with better pay; currently I'm working at Harbor Freight and only getting maybe 2-3 days of work a week with no other job opportunities available.

Hence, me crash-coursing myself in this 3D stuff to generate things to sell.  Can't find better work locally, so gotta turn to other means.  If nothing else this helmet will be some good experience.

I am using Sculptris, which someone suggested as a free version and intro for Zbrush, but my biggest issue with it is that I can't reliably move models back and forth between Sculptris and Blender, for reasons I posted earlier in this thread.

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2016 at 10:58 PM, IceFlame1019 said:

I'd love to but Zbrush is too expensive for me right now.
Maybe if this hat can generate some revenue for me I can afford to pick it up and really get down to business, but I'm only experienced in freeware and loaned copies of Photoshop and I know there's only a small chance I'll actually get this Greenlit for Tennogen inclusion.  At the moment I'm saving what I can for a slightly better computer that can handle my other game design stuff in addition to the 3D, along with ZBrush and some other programs that aren't freeware, but for now I'm using what I can to try to get up off the ground first.  It's not ideal, but it's all I've got unless I can find a more stable employment with better pay; currently I'm working at Harbor Freight and only getting maybe 2-3 days of work a week with no other job opportunities available.

Hence, me crash-coursing myself in this 3D stuff to generate things to sell.  Can't find better work locally, so gotta turn to other means.  If nothing else this helmet will be some good experience.

I am using Sculptris, which someone suggested as a free version and intro for Zbrush, but my biggest issue with it is that I can't reliably move models back and forth between Sculptris and Blender, for reasons I posted earlier in this thread.

How is it going??

On 1/27/2017 at 11:50 PM, Trickst3rGawd said:

I hope to god this DOES NOT DIE ;-;

It's not dead, I've gotten swamped by IRL stuff - work random scheduling, health issues, a potential move, job searches - but I've also been looking for a collaborator and I think I found one.  I've been tweaking it here and there trying to find a way to do it on my own, but I just don't have the tech specs or knowhow x-x; so I've been looking for someone who has the machine and availability to help with the high-res Normal model.

On 1/30/2017 at 8:54 AM, SpiralViper said:

Since you mentioned wanting help or collaboration, there's a couple Discord channels i'll link here

https://discord.gg/AyQCU

https://discord.gg/N7FGr

I'll give those a look, thanks!

26 minutes ago, IceFlame1019 said:

It's not dead, I've gotten swamped by IRL stuff - work random scheduling, health issues, a potential move, job searches - but I've also been looking for a collaborator and I think I found one.  I've been tweaking it here and there trying to find a way to do it on my own, but I just don't have the tech specs or knowhow x-x; so I've been looking for someone who has the machine and availability to help with the high-res Normal model.

I'll give those a look, thanks!

You don`t know how happy you made me when you replied! I hope everything is going okay pataining to your health man!! Super glad you may have found one good luck

• 2 weeks later...

_9d762c752d377522298ea8bf2d69dfc5-png.jp

Trying out SculptGL

This is just a practice version.  Gonna see if I can possibly sculpt a high-poly base first this time and then decimate it, but still need to find a program for free that can handle the higher polys or otherwise "cheat" the Normal mapping detail.  Looking into some options.

I like how SculptGL's "Symmetry" option doesn't automatically mirror everything, so I can toggle it on and off as needed and work around the asymmetrics.

On 27/10/2016 at 2:53 AM, IceFlame1019 said:

Limbo gets so little love :c
So, here's a remodel-skin set I'm hoping to complete and upload to the Workshop

I'm not very experienced with sculpting but I'm going to attempt this in Sculptris, unless someone wants to help and split the credits with me?  I'm really looking to learn sculpting myself but video tutorials only really go so far since you can't ask them questions like you can an actual person ^^; I'd love to collaborate with someone, working alone on designs has gotten really boring these last few years :c

Limbo Reskin Design -roughdraft 1-
2016sketchtober07_by_iceflame1019-dalegt
I have an updated sketch in the works, with a revised head/hat interconnection and better foot flares, but the basic gist is I wanted to create a skin more evocative of his power visual effects.  The syandana is being reworked as well.  Second sketch will have a back view too and a pose view of him holding his hat.

Looking forward to this skin, if you manage to get it in the game, I would love to buy it first once it has been released.

• 2 months later...

49c08fd510bd390b108c9561d0bbad71.png

Considering adding some Orokin decor words to this skin.  I have Limbo, Rift, Magic, Banish, and then Spatial Shift, Distortion, and Nowhere And Everywhere so far.  Sorry for the potato quality, webcam sucks and my computer won't see other photo-enabled devices x-x Windows 10 sucks.  I just haven't had the energy to &#! myself to deal with computer issues between work shifts.

I'm still in the process of trying to figure out exactly how to write some of this stuff.  If I'm going by pronunciation alone, "everywhere" can have several different Tennobet spellings (for example, "ev-e-ry", or the more common "ev-ry"), and I don't know for sure how to stack multiple vowels since the examples show only two vowels per diagonal stack but in both "nowhere" and "everywhere", the W is flanked by vowels on either side, but in Tennobet, W is the "oo" vowel.  so it boils down to the vowel -o or -y, then a w "oo" vowel, then the "eh" vowel before the final "r".  So far as I can find, it's only two vowels per consonant in a diagonal stack so... :x I'm not sure if what I have is correct or if I can stack all three vowels in one diagonal and then have the final "r" be in the adjacent diagonal.

Also,

_9a9586259941a4e44e35fb424cef1105-png.jp

It's taken me far too long to dredge up the motivation and time to really start fleshing this out.  "JUST. DO IT."  I'm abandoning the other higher-res models I've made so far and starting from scratch on the head and hat again.  I may also redo his cloth fold under his neck so it's a bit flatter and wavier instead of just some blobby thing.  Sketches are one thing, but seeing it in actual 3D leads me to a lot of small changes that add up over time.  I'm still trying to stick to the Final Fantasy "red mage" appearance that influenced the sketch back in October.

EDIT: apparently I'm also by myself on this now, the guy who originally agreed to help has had to back out due to time constraints.  le sad.  v-v
If anyone would like to partner up with this and assist me with texturing (and possibly UV-unwrapping the head/hat combo), it would help a lot, and of course, joint credit for the submission :P

Considering going with the syandana idea as well, though Imma make it more of a cape than an energy field like I thought of before.

Edited by IceFlame1019
herp a la derp.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:47 PM, IceFlame1019 said:

What is that exactly? oO

also, I've hit a wall I may not be able to surpass with my current equipment.  :/

If any Tennogen "veterans" read this, what's the level of poly detail you use for creating the Normal map for your submissions?  Or do you use some sort of art program to custom-draw the Normals?

My computer can't handle the level of poly detail I'd like to get to in order to render up a Normal map with the finer lines seen on Limbo's body, so...how do you go about this?  I've been Googling it but most resources just say that the high-res model should be in the "millions" of polys.  Blender is lagging beyond 200k, and for some reason I can't get the model to import into Sculptris, I get an error saying "Too many connections to a vertex (max 24)" though I don't have any such vertex overloads.

Blender it's nice but doesn't handle millions of polygons very well; you can try do as Rekkou suggested; and if it still gives you issues you can try just modelling the main and secondary shapes; and paint height map details in Substance Painter (it's a relatively cheap program and it's immensely useful).

Otherwise If you are serious about it, save up for Zbrush (you can try the software first to see how your system handles it) that thing can chew up quite a big amount of polys :P

P.S. just found out that i answered to an old message, so nvm :P

Edited by Stenchfury
i'm dumb

2 hours ago, Stenchfury said:

Blender it's nice but doesn't handle millions of polygons very well; you can try do as Rekkou suggested; and if it still gives you issues you can try just modelling the main and secondary shapes; and paint height map details in Substance Painter (it's a relatively cheap program and it's immensely useful).

Otherwise If you are serious about it, save up for Zbrush (you can try the software first to see how your system handles it) that thing can chew up quite a big amount of polys :P

P.S. just found out that i answered to an old message, so nvm :P

Yeah...unfortunately, even substance painter is a bit out of my budget realm right now, I have to stick completely to freeware options.  x-x; It really sucks but...such is life.

Zbrush would be awesome but again, that's a long-term pipe dream unless something I make can reel in enough money to cover it, but before that I also need a computer upgrade that can actually handle all this xD;
To be honest though I do want to try to see how far I can take this with just freeware.  But then again I'm losing a lot of time and would like to get this done ASAP. :x  It's a struggle, heh.

4f46817f36f6ae4c094a917687976945.png

Messed around iwth basic colors on a screencap in Krita to try to further solidify what I'm going for and visualize what it might turn out to be.  The colors won't be this vivid of course, just for visual purposes to see what works where.  The hands I'll probably change up, and his arms and legs need a lot more work.  I may have several recolors by the end of this xD;

Edited by IceFlame1019

On 5/23/2017 at 9:05 PM, IceFlame1019 said:

4f46817f36f6ae4c094a917687976945.png

Messed around iwth basic colors on a screencap in Krita to try to further solidify what I'm going for and visualize what it might turn out to be.  The colors won't be this vivid of course, just for visual purposes to see what works where.  The hands I'll probably change up, and his arms and legs need a lot more work.  I may have several recolors by the end of this xD;

liking the body but hating the head, like you just cut the top off it and put a hat now his head looks tiny and see nothing that resembles a face.

5 hours ago, iMalicious said:

liking the body but hating the head, like you just cut the top off it and put a hat now his head looks tiny and see nothing that resembles a face.

I...kind of see that?  but have you seen his Magrite helm and default helmet?  Those are fairly flat as well on the head part :x

6 hours ago, IceFlame1019 said:

I...kind of see that?  but have you seen his Magrite helm and default helmet?  Those are fairly flat as well on the head part :x

I have but now he looks like he has half a face or something, if this was a human model it would be like you cut the head off where the nose was then put a hat on it totally disregarding the human model had eyes where as in warframe it's like it has nothing to even resemble a face or head and you're just putting a hat on half a head, idk just looks off to me. also I prefered limbo being more of a top hat wearer as it fit his style. If this ever got released to tennogen I'd be happy with just the skin.

Edited by iMalicious

1 hour ago, iMalicious said:

I have but now he looks like he has half a face or something, if this was a human model it would be like you cut the head off where the nose was then put a hat on it totally disregarding the human model had eyes where as in warframe it's like it has nothing to even resemble a face or head and you're just putting a hat on half a head, idk just looks off to me. also I prefered limbo being more of a top hat wearer as it fit his style. If this ever got released to tennogen I'd be happy with just the skin.

Except that's exactly what Limbo is. Did you never saw his idle animation where he removed his "hat"? The joke is that he never actually wears any hat because his "hat" is actually half of his head. And none of Limbo's helmets resembles face either, in fact too much resembling human "face" will make it more likely that a submission will be rejected.

1 minute ago, Rekkou said:

Except that's exactly what Limbo is. Did you never saw his idle animation where he removed his "hat"? The joke is that he never actually wears any hat because his "hat" is actually half of his head. And none of Limbo's helmets resembles face either, in fact too much resembling human "face" will make it more likely that a submission will be rejected.

yeah, the Aristeas is the closest any of his helms get to having a more distinct face, but the Magrite helm just has the one "eye".  but as Rekkou said, the point of Limbo's heads is that they're half head, half hat.
As I go along on this I'm going to try to make the hat look more like a part of his head, though this design is a tad tricky to pull that off :x but we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2016 at 2:53 PM, IceFlame1019 said:

Limbo gets so little love :c
So, here's a remodel-skin set I'm hoping to complete and upload to the Workshop

I'm not very experienced with sculpting but I'm going to attempt this in Sculptris, unless someone wants to help and split the credits with me?  I'm really looking to learn sculpting myself but video tutorials only really go so far since you can't ask them questions like you can an actual person ^^; I'd love to collaborate with someone, working alone on designs has gotten really boring these last few years :c

Limbo Reskin Design -roughdraft 1-
2016sketchtober07_by_iceflame1019-dalegt
I have an updated sketch in the works, with a revised head/hat interconnection and better foot flares, but the basic gist is I wanted to create a skin more evocative of his power visual effects.  The syandana is being reworked as well.  Second sketch will have a back view too and a pose view of him holding his hat.

i want it! THE PIMPFRAME WILL RISE!! also pleeeeease make a staff skin that makes it like a pimp cane!