Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightmare Mode Feedback

[DE]Drew

Does everything have to include energy drain? I know it doesn't but it sure is on a lot of nodes. Why not just make some of them no energy instead. I'm not ranting at all about it but if you look 75% of the missions are energy drain and something else. I'm just looking for variety. How about ammo limiting mode or no ultimate mode. There must be more modes you come up with versus the same old ones we had back in the day

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see...

Pros: 
-Nice rewards (at first, when you're just building your mod collection)

-Different modes can be interesting

-Gives purpose to clear every mission node on a planet

Cons:
-Mission node shifts around, resulting in NM missions that nobody wants to run (Sab, Spy, RESCUE, Def).

-Some of the environmental hazards are huge deterrent to wanting to run it (Magnetic Anomalies, especially), and the "No Shields" challenge isn't a challenge; it just says, "Bring Inaros or Valkyr."

-NM mods are nice, but they are hard to sell for plat and there is little other reason to run this mode, meaning people who have a set of the mods they want have little reason to continue running this mode.

What would I like to see different? Unique rewards (doesn't have to be mods, but those are always welcome) based on the mission type, removal of "No Shields" as a mode, and a whole lot less energy drain mechanics in the game overall. On the point of energy drain, it's not fun to play against, usually has very little (or no) counterplay, and only results in frustration--and not the healthy kind. In short, it's a toxic mechanic.

On 12/21/2016 at 5:46 AM, Mega_Aleksandar said:

@(Xbox One)BULLS 0N PAR4DE From my experience, I get a lot more "No Shield" than "Energy Drain". So you just get a bit bad RNG :) Do not worry about it, just play accordingly. It is good to have a challenge from time to time.

Mega_Aleksandar

Except that neither of those are "challenge" at all.

"No Shield" just means you bring a health/armor frame.

"Energy Drain" means you don't bother with the mission at all because it's more hassle than it's worth, OR you bring cheese weapons.

Edit:
Something that might add challenge would be along the lines of...

-Enemies have more health, armor, and/or shields.
-Enemies spawn at double/triple rate or amount.
-More eximae.
-Enemies have "rainbow" weapons (multiple random elemental enhancments).
-Enemies carry unique weapons (Simulor, Amprex, Penta, Pox, etc).
-Enemies move at double speed, have their fire rate and melee attack speed enhanced 35%.
-Level alternates between low-grav and high-grav (less of a "challenge" and just interesting, but could have fun interactions).
-Heavy, toxic fog (stay airborne, above the fog to avoid damage).
-"Hot Lava" (similar idea, don't touch the ground to avoid fire damage).
-Electro-static charged floor (gain increased move speed and damage proc similar to Volt passive while on the ground, take damage when you land from an airborne state).
-Limit weapon types as with Sorties
-Special rules; Magazine Cap = 1 but damage increased 300%, Can only deal damage through status effects, No status effect procs, can only use a certain power slot (such as 2nd power), etc

In case it's not clear, there is A LOT of design space here that they could work with. Current NM mode feels like it's still in Alpha. I'm curious to see what 2.0 looks like. An interesting concept would be to allow us to select and mix/match any/all the modifiers we want for scaling rewards, similar to how Skulls work in the Halo series. One of the coolest side effects I foresee with this kind of system would be the ridiculous and awesome YouTube videos and streams this could produce!

Edited by (PS4)Sange13

^^^^^^^^

Choosing the effects (or how many via a blind interface) would be fun. That way someone who has a lower mastery level, hasn't bought any weapons or gear with $$$ could run with one random status effect while a group of people who have tons of gear could choose say 3. Rewards could be say a percentage chance at extra mods (beyond the one you get) or prime parts or whatever.

I'm not sure that 3X as many enemies, lava and high-low alternating gravity would be fun though lol...that might be a bit much........

17 hours ago, hooperinius said:

^^^^^^^^

Choosing the effects (or how many via a blind interface) would be fun. That way someone who has a lower mastery level, hasn't bought any weapons or gear with $$$ could run with one random status effect while a group of people who have tons of gear could choose say 3. Rewards could be say a percentage chance at extra mods (beyond the one you get) or prime parts or whatever.

I'm not sure that 3X as many enemies, lava and high-low alternating gravity would be fun though lol...that might be a bit much........

Sounds fun, and more importantly--challenging--to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Having been running these almost non-stop for the past week for 'fun', these would be my suggestions:

1. Remove Endless missions from the Nioghtmare rotations; it is really difficult to get a PuG for these missions;
  2. Give each Nightmare Mod a planetary affinity that boosts the chances of getting it on that planet; for example, Lethal Torrent has a greater affinity towards Earth and Saturn, which means that it's more likely to be a reward from that planet's NM missions;
  3. Make it so that  the rotation so the various Conditions that can happen match the Sortie missions and also have the current conditions available.  In addition to this, I wonder if it's possible for each Condition beyond the first to have a chance at an additional mod (say, 10% chance/Condition).

• 1 month later...

Don't understand why you'd change it to only being active for one run per node. The energy drain is far too quick, I want to atleast try to use my ability in sticky situations.

This change seems rather unwanted. imo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2.1.2017 at 4:05 PM, (PS4)Sange13 said:

"Energy Drain" means you don't bother with the mission at all because it's more hassle than it's worth, OR you bring cheese weapons.

So, if you cannot "cheese" with your frame, you need to "cheese" with your weapons? On a lvl 30 mission?

Maybe keep adding new mods to keep people interested in nightmare missions? By now almost everyone has pretty much every nightmare mod, or can easily trade for the one he doesn't have. Right now nightmare missions can possibly be some sort of platinum runs, selling high-level nightmare mods maybe, but I'm not sure how many people do that.

• 4 weeks later...

The current nightmare mode is interesting and allows for a nice change of pace when you are able to do the missions available. Sadly, you are unable to repeat them, for fun or otherwise, because of the rarity of the mods. Would it be possible to have the nightmare mode missions work in a fashion similar to trials, i. e. allowing the player to repeat them but forbidding them the nightmare mod reward at the end. Even better if when repeating a node it would tell you how long there was left until the mission reset and you could try to get a mod again.

Are there any plans to implement nightmare modifiers in sorties, or sortie modifiers in nightmare missions? Vampire mode, for example, seems doable in sorties; and radiation/magnetic hazards don't seem too far off from what we already have in nightmare missions.

Edited by AzoreanEve

On 18/3/2017 at 0:07 AM, Kuestenjung said:

So, if you cannot "cheese" with your frame, you need to "cheese" with your weapons? On a lvl 30 mission?

People don't cheese for the sake of it, they cheese because "sometimes" the grind of this game is a bit out of proportion.

I only miss Streamlined Form...how many times tier 3 nightmare missions do I have to run to get one?

• 2 weeks later...

So, a dilemma I have with the new interface on XBone and Nightmare missions...am I just crazy or were nightmare missions not highlighted in red with the nighmare sigil in the actual alerts feed? I seem to recall they were, so I knew from the alerts feed that it was a nightmare mission right out the gate. Now, I have to go to the actual planet navigation node, after checking where that alert is and trying to spot it on the planet navigation screen to find out if it is a nightmare mission. Certainly don't just click the alert (which doesn't tell me it's a nightmare mission) because that's a really rude awakening when you get into the mission expecting normalcy and BOOM, no shields. Or worse. Can we not bring back the nightmare coloring in the alert feed and a notification (sigil or parenthesis "nightmare" label)?

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing, at least on console (Xbox One), is that I've noticed the Nightmare alerts, in the Alert Feed, haven't had the proper enemy levels associated with them--much like the issue of the Alert Feed not actually showing it is a Nightmare Alert. I've found the navigation point on the planet will show it is a Nightmare mission, but the enemy levels aren't correct. Is anyone else seeing these things?