Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightmare Mode Feedback

[DE]Drew

Very displeased to see the (opaque, not indicated anywhere) 8h cooldown.
Means that DE views NM missions as nothing more than a gate towards farming the NM mods, as opposed to being their own thing.

If you must do that, at least let me rerun a mission I liked for no NM mod, as with Raids and arcanes.

----------

Glad to see that Friendly Fire doesn't seem to directly affect abilities. Would've been pretty unplayable.
As it is, in my experience it's fine assuming everyone knows how it works(, doesn't bring mindless AoE spam weapons) and is slightly careful.

Energy Vampire a.k.a. 'no abilities for you'-mode is still a 'why on Earth would I want to play this'? ofc, you could just use Inaros.
Gauntlets are fun. These aren't Gauntlets. The closest they come is high level non-ship Sab. Cap would work as well, if Capture targets weren't the stupidly tanky CC-immune proc-immune cowards that they are. Oh, and let's not forget Cap Target's Glaxion of Doom.

The rest are all still varyingly interesting, depending on the specific combination, though Timed Mode doesn't play nice with pacifist stealth runs. But given that DE doesn't support that playstyle anyway, I guess that's to be expected, and besides, who plays like that anyway.

3 hours ago, -----LegioN----- said:

Imo, the difficulty was amazingly toned down with something as simple as listing the nightmare modifier on starmap. Before we should build for whatever comes and adapt in mission, currently it's as simple as "oh, no shields, I'll take Inaros"; "friendly fire? better go solo or with friends"; etc. too easy to cheese

to be fair anybody who actually worked out it was a nightmare mission from the reward would usually have taken inaros anyway...

1) Make Nightmare nodes glow red with a corona of light to make them stand out from regular nodes and make them easier to spot. Honestly ALL special nodes should do this (Nightmare, Fissure, Invasions, Alert, etc).

2) Friendly Fire mode is basically "Kill your squad mates on purpose" mode. I never bother with these unless solo.

3) If Nightmare nodes are on 8hr timers, why not just have a visible timer counting down when the planet is zoomed in on? At least we can get an estimate on when the next one arrives or when it changes.

Edited by DaftMeat

On 10/28/2016 at 3:27 PM, Viedra_Lavinova said:

If DE really wanted to discourage this behaviour; they could easily punish players by halving their shield and health for each completed attempt at the same nightmare planet within cooldown. Both sides get their cake and eat it too, favoring the house longer term.

I kind of like where this suggestion is going. There is good precedence to having 3+ versions of a mission, with rapidly increasing difficulty. Tactical Alerts are the first example, and Sorties (with increasing enemy level).

Either increasing enemy level (not my personal first choice) and/or applying additional mutations. DE could also ramp up the difficulty faster on the more cheese-able missions, or even select non-random secondary mutations targeted to make those those missions types harder. Even bringing in Sortie or Dragon Key mutators.

A hypothetical multi-run Capture Nightmare: No Shields (default spawn), Enemy Elemental Enchantment (Cold) (2), Enemy Physical Enhancement (Puncture) (3), Energy Reduction (4), Extreme Cold (5), Energy Drain (6). +25 enemy level (+5 per extra run).

This would also play into having ramping up challenges for veteran players (although they're the most likely to have all the nightmare mods and not need the runs). 

And again, secondary mutators could be pre-selected for the mission type to make it actually horrible. For capture Energy Drain, Extreme Cold, and Enemy Elemental Enchantment (Cold) come to mind in that order.

As everyone else has said, Friendly Fire mode is a bad idea. I already ran into a Mirage Synoid Simulor user and a Loki trying to shoot my Titania out of the air. I just run them solo now. If that is what you want, just add a solo modifier.

Also, please give them their own window in the upper right showing the time left on the mission and the difficulty to make mod farming a bit easier.

On 10/28/2016 at 5:24 PM, [DE]Drew said:

Please, post your Nightmare feedback in this thread. Discuss what you like/dislike here!

Thanks!

Pros.
It's back.
shorter 8 hour cycle
3 new mods
new modifiers
different tiers
missions show you what will happen so you can prepare (instead of just "go Inaros")
no more only "no shield" mode
friendly fire isn't as bad as you would think it would be

Cons.
(Bug?) Specters you throw are now enemies (Tested with Rhino specter during "death detonation"/"low gravity")
deliberate friendly fire
the planet nodes don't say what tier the mission is (Easy/Tier 1, etc.)
missions have red hue, and my friend is monochromatic color blind (black and white)(maybe make arrows pointing in an X towards the node denoting its existence?)
"Hey man I need to borrow some health" Life Strike your friends!
"death detonation" isn't as deadly as it could be

Edit: For friendly fire, you could make the weapons use conclave-like (b/c not all weapons are in conclave yet) damage vs. Tenno in friendly fire mode, but have it scale per tier like say 1x, 3x, 5x? (Or 1x, 4x, 8x) I also wouldn't mind a nightmare sortie. Something like choose between the regular or the the nightmare one that day, and you can only do the one that you choose for that day.

Edited by danewgui2
Friendly Fire suggestion

Nightmare modes are good, gives us vets a variety and reason to do a mission. I'm fine with the cooldown because I'm a filthy casual. I don't even have the time to do a tour of all the planets for all missions per day. The nodes do need a better indicator though, like a symbol or effect to show it's there.

Friendly Fire mode.... not too sure about this because it only made me go solo or only group with friends and coordinate in a mission like Spy where you don't have to be close to each other. I find the concept to be fun and could potentially be a challenge but in PUGs either you find trolls or players who don't give a crap whether they killed you or not, the same with when you PUG a Radiation Hazard Sorties. So I can't see it being popular unless there's a penalty for killing your teammates.

Another Nightmare modifier could also be specific weapons only, like in Sorties.

I see friendly fire mode is gone. Thank you. That was just chaos, people would jump in using AOE weapons without thinking and all of the sudden your entire team is dead. 

Unrelated but still something I've thought about:

I don't know how many other people agree with the idea of giving a nightmare mission an assigned mod to reward and showing it the way alert rewards are shown, but I think it would be a nice QoL change. Odds are not too many other players will support this idea, since it pretty much makes nightmare missions more like slightly harder alerts and less like the daily sorties. I guess the reason I want this is partly because I'm largely displeased with the way sorties dispense rewards. The RNG at the end of 3 intentionally difficult missions has always rubbed me the wrong way, and I don't particularly like the idea of nightmares being super similar. Granted, most nightmares are easier than sorties and dispense the reward after 1 successful run, but I'm all for QoL tweaks. 

First : finally they're back.

The new starchart make it hard to see the different alerts on a node. We could use a bigger icon, maybe as a background of the node, instead of being limited to the node icon size. You could maybe also use a red ripple effect on nightmare node.

Don't hesitate to add some more modes that we will test, you could even apply them to sorties if the community like them enough. I want to see a mode where most of the kills have to be headshots (enemies that have head are invincible otherwise), or a mod where tenno specters can invade (the "bug" that cause them to turn hostile in nightmare mission) or a mode where our mods have their ranks halved etc. Some modes from sorties could also be added to nightmare mission.

And it's ok if the mode is not a success like the friendly fire one.

i'm fine with the 8 hours rotations,  you could maybe make the 3 nodes available at the same time, with a reset every 24h. I could also be ok with multiple modes staking to redo the mission, depending on which one is used. A timer mode that keep going down each time you do the mission for example. But my guess is if the modes are too hard, people will just rely on invisibility/cheese, which is somewhat already the case. 

edit : just had an idea, we could make repeating nightmare nodes work like invasions, you can do them a limited number of time with an extra mode each time and at the end we could have a special bonus reward.

energy drain mode was buffed ( you didn't have to) whereas some other mode feel pretty easy because of some frames who can mitigate that mode condition (no shield, etc) or the mode being easy by itself (timer, vampire).

friendly fire mode : i don't really care that it was removed, it was pretty obvious what was going to happen. If i had one suggestion, add it to the clan only new mission builder. That way people who know each other can have fun, because it's ok to troll someone you know, it's not ok to do that with someone you don't.

As for the rewards, on top of the mods, maybe we could double (or an increase of x %) the credits rewards in those missions. Same for affinity, i'm tired of farming the same nodes. 

Last thing, are the specters turning rogue a feature?

edit : did an exterminate with 533 enemies, energy drain mode, everyone was using melee that was fun.

edit 2: the detonation mode seems a little weak, i think explosive barrel do way more damage than that modifier.

Edited by Gilmaesh

Energy drain mode is great. It makes me not have to think of bringing any frames based on abilities and what they can do because none of their abilities will work unless you put down a energy pizza every time you gonna cast an ability.

Never change DE, kill every abilitiy to make difficulty, great balancing.

Edited by Astery86

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2016 at 3:25 PM, danewgui2 said:

Specters you throw are now enemies (Tested with Rhino specter during "death detonation"/"low gravity")
deliberate friendly fire

I was doing a mobile defense solo, when stalker spawned in I dropped a specter... rhino with tigris prime, death by my ally felt so bad then I moved on.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, (PS4)Azoth17 said:

How do you know which missions are Nightmare ones on the new map??  I haven't been able to figure that out since they changed the solar map.

They removed Nightmare missions on console and PC some time ago. But DE recently  put Nightmare Missions back on PC. Were getting Nightmare Missions back with the War Within Update. 

I see big problems in nightmare mode:

Problem 1: Energy drain mode drains horribly much(it exceeds energy restoration and makes us spend dozens of energy pizzas)

Problem 2: Terminals dealing extreme damage(it would be reasonable to make it around 100-200, not over 5000!)

Problem 3: Alarms are triggered at start of mission, one mob reaching terminal does instant lockout(and as hacking a high-level terminal is now 50% suicide it makes mission absurdly hard).

Edited by Death_Master_

I want friendly fire - nightmare mod back into nightmare nodes!

A real challenges, as no players communicate or coordinates with each others!

Make single-target more useful than aoe-target weapon. Unless you wish to become a dead-weight.

Hello everyone,

I am also glad that the Nightmare mode is back.

For everyone that is missing the friendly fire mode, please play PvP.

I like the new system for the tiers and the mods, but some things are still unclear, because the wiki page for the nightmare mods is outdated.

Thanks for bringing the nightmare mode back.

Edit 1: Is it a bug that "Easy mods" drop on the "Hard" planets?

Edit 2: Some mods drop on different places, as well as on the planets listed in the Recurring nightmares update.

Mega_Aleksandar

Edited by Mega_Aleksandar

The current Capture on Mercury fails to spawn an operative to actually capture :( Have aborted and reloaded it and still the same lack of Capture target. It's like the Kuva Siphon mission capture bug where Siphons spawn but the actual person objective doesn't so you can't complete the mission!

I personally am not a fan of  the 3 tier difficulty missions, because it would make sense to me that "Nightmare" missions should be really hard missions in which you get a mod that correlates.

As one of many that are rather overpowered for low level content, I Was looking forward to seeing nightmare missions coming back, but I feel that if you'd really want to get people spending time to do these missions: 

- Add a bunch more nightmare mods that we've not seen /may want, and shove them into high difficulty, high level missions.

Because as of now, to me this seems like it benefits new players of the game more than anyone