Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[TWW] New Tileset: Kuva Fortress Feedback

[DE]Danielle

Once you've progressed far enough in The War Within to discover The Kuva Fortress, a new region will appear on your Solar Chart!

Play through and experience some of our most difficult and heavily fortified missions yet. 

With this set, we knew we wanted to provide an awe-inspiring entry into the world of the Grineer Queens and Kuva. This set is complete with the latest in graphics enhancements like Volumetric Lighting, and includes some of the first ever Archwing Enemy incorporation into foot missions. Don't forget to aim up, Tenno. 

New Music can be discovered while playing these missions, Keith Power brings us his creepiest compositions to date! 

Missions Offered:

• Assault: A completely new spin on the spirit of 'Sabotage'. This is arguably one of our longest non-endless missions to date. This mission also includes classic side-objectives like Cache hunting! 
  • Exterminate: An old faithful.
  • Capture: A speed-runner's delight.
  • Mobile Defense: Will it take longer than Lotus calculated?
  • Spy: Ivara, Ivara, let down your Zipline. 
  • Survival: For glory on the Leaderboards!
  • Rescue: You must save those in need!
  • Defense: A bit more environmental hazards this time around, beware! 

So what do you think after playing through the new Kuva Fortress tileset and missions? We want to know! Post your thoughts below and please be constructive in your comments.

If you have bugs to report please use the Bug Report Megathread. Thank you! 

Assault sounds interesting, I do enjoy learning how to do Sabotage missions as much as learning how to do well with Spy ones. Well, no much more to add, as my internet will take its time to update, but I am curious to play the new tileset. I love the fact you tuned up the graphics, that's so cool.

Honestly, this is probably the best tileset yet. I still think the orokin tower and moonbase tilesets are the best looking, but aside from annoying as hell enemies, the Kuva fortress is great. It looks great, it sounds great, the music is great, the traps are damn awesome.

I just wish it wasn't so friggin DARK. What is with the obsession with pitch black tilesets? I'm sick of having to max out my brightness.

I've just completed the fortress assault, but It bugged bigtime for me. My operator ability caused me to fall through the world and die. Using unstuck spawned me as my operator and my warframe vanished. My operator then went permanently invisible and had no ability cooldowns, but I wasn't able to turn back to my Loki at all. Fun times but it's really hard to move around that tileset without bullet jumping or aim glide

Making Assault have caches is a bad idea. The whole point of caches is to give incentive to spend more time in an otherwise-short mission so people explore where they otherwise wouldn't.

Assault is "your biggest non-endless mission yet", in a tileset with already enormous, convoluted tiles. That's already plenty of time investment in the mission. Having to backtrack and comb through those enormous tiles in all axes (plenty of vertical going on) is going to make people disfavourable to the mission/tileset, not enjoy it more. Crosses the line from exploration to tedium - especially as there's no known unique reason to go to such arduous lengths (unique potential rewards from the caches, like Bullet Dance to Orokin Sabs and Xiphos parts and Nitain to Ship Sabs). It would have to be more valued than both mentioned to be worthwhile for the extra likely investment.

Survival doesn't need the field cameras. We're there to distract them, they already know we're there. The cameras just serve to make noise at this point.

Assault was fun but a bit disappointing when you don't see anything blow-up when firing the canon. Though I was standing on-top of it.

Spy was interesting, I felt like there needed to be a way to disarm the cameras momentarily but ended up getting around them anyway.

With this tileset we need an improved mini-map to show difference in height/levels. Not just by saying these markers are up or down but by highlighting the actual floor you're on.

It is awe inspiring from the design, music, visuals, and just from comparing. Although the whole thing looks like a uterus XD

Spoiler

3k85sdk.jpg

UoQqkIf.jpg

It was cool to see this next pic during a regular run.

Spoiler

AtaGial.jpg

4 hours ago, LuckyCharm said:

I've just completed the fortress assault, but It bugged bigtime for me. My operator ability caused me to fall through the world and die. Using unstuck spawned me as my operator and my warframe vanished. My operator then went permanently invisible and had no ability cooldowns, but I wasn't able to turn back to my Loki at all. Fun times but it's really hard to move around that tileset without bullet jumping or aim glide

Yeah my operator was doing that too

In Assault mission types if you are standing under the Cannon when you destroy the last fuel element it falls on you trapping your warframe so that even /unstuck doesn't work and you have to quit the mission.

Also, this is a very dark tileset, with a lot of organic curves and very non-regular paths with terrible navigation markers and the existing terrible minimap, if none of these are fixed then I can't see this tileset being very popular.

Have a think about Mirrors edge, the way they use colour to tell you the flow of the tileset, why aren't there subtle colour cues to show is where the attach point for the tiles are? I don't see why hunting you fine the only exit from a tile because the nav marker is outside of the visible map in a mostly black map with mostly black enemies is fun.

Hell I could barely even make out the design of the new grineer, surely that's not what the texture artists wanted?

Edited by SilentMobius

I don't think I like scanners being completely invulnerable. It'd make sense that Grineer put armour on their surveliance camera (who's dumb now, Corpus?), but this is too much. Make them tough, like mobile scanners, but complete invincibility is an overkill.

Otherwise I like the tileset very much. A bit labyrinthine, but I'll get used to that, the esthetics are great and the music is brillaint - Keith Power nailed it once again, the soundtrack is excellent at getting the "lair of evil" feel across.

Kuva Fortress
the pros:
+ solid atmosphere(especially the lighting)
+ lovely soundtrack

the cons:
- INVULNERABLE scanners all over the place
- blaring alarms ever 5m due to excessive amount of scanners
- spy data vaults,be invisible or go home,no easy way in unlike with any previous ones
- scorch's undodgeable inifini pen deathray due to narrow corridors
- no kuva resource caches in the enviroment,just rare rng dependant harvester drones
- turrets have somewhat serious knockback,enough to shove you across a room or off a platform

on a side note
new melee weapons are underpowered,you get them in endgame,make them fit that

My first impression of the new tileset is very good. It looks great.

Having multiple levels is always a bit of a problem, because the map can become very hard to use at that point.

It's great to have another location to farm neural sensors, especially because this is a highe level area.

It would be nice if we were able to sabotage/ take control of the defensive mechanisms.
For example there could be a console to hack, that would then have to be defended for a short while. This would disable the cameras/scanners in the area and active the turret once.

If there are areas where we can fly around in archwings, I haven't found them or I simply haven't figured out how to use my archwing there. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have all the missions tagged with archwing then.

Assault mode:
I would like to see some variance for the final objectives. It feels kind of wierd, that there would always be a Grineer ship ready to be blown up and sabotaging the controls at the end felt kind of underwhelming to me. There is also potential to offer different options to get past the first doors. I have only done this 3 times, so if there actually is some variance, that's great.

The rewards feel really underwhelming. It's pretty much the same as with the new reactor sabotage. I like to compare them to spy missions, because the time investment is actually very similar, but spy missions give far better rewards. They give a lot more affinity for the objectives. Spy missions always give a relic, which is really nice imo. I don't see why relics can't be part of the cache rewards. There are some really nice mods and ivara to get out of spy missions. Random resource rewards and a low chance to get a xiphos part simply can't keep up with that.
So there is no good reward for completing the mission itself, which as mentioned already is the longest mission type outside of endless missions. And finding the caches also doesn't feel like it's worth the time.
To start, there should at least be relic drops somewhere. If this is tied to finding a 2nd cache, I'm fine with that. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some good mods to drop when finding all 3 caches and completing the mission. There could also be a guaranteed kuva siphon after completing the mission.

Ah, what a pleasure to shoot a Grineer Galleon with a huge cannon. The Assault mission is totally approved for me :thumbup:

BTW the new tileset is amazing! The lightnings, the music, all those security... I became distressed playing the quest, and I liked it :)

Can you guys add some or small amount of Kuvas for the endless (survival and defense), Assault and Spy Kuva mission rewards ? It'll be really helpful rather than waiting for the Kuva Siphon to spawn randomly. I've seen some players having difficulty finding Kuva Siphon to spawn even though the ran alot of high level Grineer missions.

Thx

On 11/12/2016 at 0:09 PM, [DE]Danielle said:

Assault: A completely new spin on the spirit of 'Sabotage'. This is arguably one of our longest non-endless missions to date. This mission also includes classic side-objectives like Cache hunting! 

I still don't see the point of making it long here. It simply feels really tedious and mundane after running back and forth on the EXACT SAME ROUTE, picking up things, defending an objective and destroying a machine IN ONE SINGLE MISSION doesn't really add anything new here. It feels more like a chore than my 4 hour kavat grind and 3 hour Equinox grind combined.

8 hours ago, .LeiA._ said:

Can you guys add some or small amount of Kuvas for the endless (survival and defense), Assault and Spy Kuva mission rewards ? It'll be really helpful rather than waiting for the Kuva Siphon to spawn randomly. I've seen some players having difficulty finding Kuva Siphon to spawn even though the ran alot of high level Grineer missions.

Thx

Better yet, they should become a tad like Eximus perhaps. My biggest gripe with the Kuva is not farming for them, is that we have a new enemy type that we will rarely see.

As for the tileset itself: It's. Goddamn. Amazing.

Everytime you guys add a new tileset post quest you guys outdo yourselves. I thought the Moon was impressive, but the incredible laberynthic feel of the Fortress, the formation of Grineers... Everything is so cohesive and so well executed. Props to the Level Design team, to the Audio team and to Keith, honestly. Can't wait to see if you guys expand it and how.

As a note on the grand scheme of things (not so much for the level design theme, but for everyone):

-Now that we have Archwing/Land transition: We need more levels like that throughout the Starchart. Instead of replacing nodes, add them. I'm hoping you guys finally sort out the Archwing issues and we can enjoy a new experience.

I wanted to ask that if you guys pulled out a new tileset for the Origin system for it to be higher level than the last two we got, but I want to make sure I've played thoroughly the new levels. Here's hoping at least Steve's plan of going outside the Origin System gives us more powerful foes to go up against.

22 minutes ago, rockscl said:

The new grineers detectors should detect invisible players other wise they are not better than the old ones from spy vaults

I was thinking too that it would do so, but then I played Spy. There's so many detectors it's not hard to run out of invisibility on some frames with the lasers on you.

I mean, I have mixed feelings as if it would be something I feel should happen.

I have two issues with the Kuva Fortress:
* Way too dark, makes it hard to navigate and figure out what's shooting me
* Scanners are invulnerable

Otherwise it's pretty cool. Felt good to shoot that Galleon.

Edited by MrPie5