Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nvidia Physx and Warframe = Bad fps over time?

ChillZi

Hello,

first my specs:

Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz  
Haswell 22nm Technology

16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (MSI)

Now to the problem: Every time I activate Physx effects, I get good fps at first but after I played my second mission the fps drops continuosly. For instance I start with 120 fps. The first 2 missions go well but after I get back in my ship I notice that the fps has reduced to like 80. After that it gets more and more worse. Until I am at 40 fps. The game begins to stutter and it makes it really unplayable in this state. Like I said this only happens when I turn on physx in the game. Did anyone have the same issue?

Oh yeah this also happened before the war within update so the update can't be it.

I'm having the exact same issue now and BEFORE the update as well though I have not tried turning off physx to see if it fixes the problem. I load the game with ~250 fps (vsync off) in the liset and after a few missions or, a really long one, I'll return to the liset with half that or 40~50fps and it will only get worse as I continue to play. The only way to fix it is to restart the game but the issue repeats.

Ill try turnings physx off and see if I still get continual fps drops.

Intel Core i5-4460 @ 3.2GHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6gb (EVGA)

16 gb ram

Edit: Seems like turning off physx does stop the fps issue.

Edited by SmokeyJesus

Same problem with ASUS GTX 1070 and I7 6700K

Usually after one mission and from 360 fps in liset to 18 O.o

Havnt played a long time so idk if i had the problem before

Edit: Have tried without Physics X for a few missions and now its stable

Edited by Heggenkid

I would guess this would link to my issue. Using a 980Ti and would usually have a very steady 144fps (144Hz Monitor) at maximum settings, however, I have noticed in missions this is now dropping to around 80fps. I removed frame cap in liset and have over 300+ fps.

Same problem here with MSI GTX 1070. But i will check if PhysX will harm that overtime FPS drops. My GPU also goes from 50% to 4% usage overtime, while FPS went down too.

Edit: nope turning PhysX off slows it down but does not remove it.

Edited by VigiHunter
checkfor

Hi everyone,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. In regards to PhysX, could you all please confirm that you are using the latest video drivers?
Also, you may want to Verify / Optimize your Download Cache using the Warframe launcher.

0DqGyS6.png

Unfortunately we are having some difficulty reproducing this issue, so if you still experience poor performance then the following answers would help is greatly:

Does it occur solo while playing solo? Or are other players required? 
Do you notice any improvement if you change Warframes? Or even weapons?
Do you notice any improvement if you remove any Sentinel / Kubrow / Kavat you have equipped?
Is there a location where this occurs more often or seems more severe than others?

Also, there is a chance that these performance problems might be caused by another player's actions. So try to keep an eye on what other people in your party are using as there could be a pattern. Any additional information that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

21 minutes ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Hi everyone,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. In regards to PhysX, could you all please confirm that you are using the latest video drivers?
Also, you may want to Verify / Optimize your Download Cache using the Warframe launcher.

0DqGyS6.png

Unfortunately we are having some difficulty reproducing this issue, so if you still experience poor performance then the following answers would help is greatly:

Does it occur solo while playing solo? Or are other players required? 
Do you notice any improvement if you change Warframes? Or even weapons?
Do you notice any improvement if you remove any Sentinel / Kubrow / Kavat you have equipped?
Is there a location where this occurs more often or seems more severe than others?

Also, there is a chance that these performance problems might be caused by another player's actions. So try to keep an eye on what other people in your party are using as there could be a pattern. Any additional information that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

My drivers are the latest for nvidia 375.70.

All of those launcher settings are on for me.

I reinstalled warframe before the war within update but I can attempt it again.

It was happening in solo mode for me. As I was doing the war within quest (solo), one of the missions had continual loading screens and it felt like after the loading screens there was a noticeable performance drop. This took about 2-3 or about 30 minutes of play before I was getting noticeable frame rate drop. I eventually had to alt f4 the game in the mission it got so bad so I could restart the game. It's not just the quest though, that's just where I noticed the issue harshest as it kept me in a mission for about an hour. (As a side note for playing with other players I have noticed that being a host seems to quicken the fps issue as opposed to being a client, but that's just my observation)

Changing weapons or warframes does not improve performance

I have not tried to change my companion, I will try this when I get some time tonight.

As far as I know no specific location seems to cause more issues. Before the war within update I did notice that infested tile sets seemed to cause the issue after one mission and I would have to restart the game every mission or two.

As for other players I did notice one of my friends using radial javelin on a huge group of enemies which would cause pretty huge frame dips, but stuff like that isn't terribly uncommon so I am unsure if the physx particle effects from that may be contributing the the loss of fps over time.

I will play with physx on tonight and see if I can find anymore info on the issue and I'll update my response.

15 hours ago, SmokeyJesus said:

My drivers are the latest for nvidia 375.70.

All of those launcher settings are on for me.

I reinstalled warframe before the war within update but I can attempt it again.

It was happening in solo mode for me. As I was doing the war within quest (solo), one of the missions had continual loading screens and it felt like after the loading screens there was a noticeable performance drop. This took about 2-3 or about 30 minutes of play before I was getting noticeable frame rate drop. I eventually had to alt f4 the game in the mission it got so bad so I could restart the game. It's not just the quest though, that's just where I noticed the issue harshest as it kept me in a mission for about an hour. (As a side note for playing with other players I have noticed that being a host seems to quicken the fps issue as opposed to being a client, but that's just my observation)

Changing weapons or warframes does not improve performance

I have not tried to change my companion, I will try this when I get some time tonight.

As far as I know no specific location seems to cause more issues. Before the war within update I did notice that infested tile sets seemed to cause the issue after one mission and I would have to restart the game every mission or two.

As for other players I did notice one of my friends using radial javelin on a huge group of enemies which would cause pretty huge frame dips, but stuff like that isn't terribly uncommon so I am unsure if the physx particle effects from that may be contributing the the loss of fps over time.

I will play with physx on tonight and see if I can find anymore info on the issue and I'll update my response.

My drivers are also the latest. I will try to verify and optimize my download cache.

Also happened to me solo so I dont think other players are the issue here. When I played through an infested mission (Eris Survival) I also noticed that the longer I went, the fps got worse and worse while Physx was active. I played with different warframes and weapons and it was still the same issue.

I will test again without any companions eqquiped.

I tried to turn off all graphical settings and just activate Physx and yeah it still didnt make a difference.

Also I noticed everyone in here uses a gtx 1060/1070/1080 card.

On 11/15/2016 at 9:33 AM, ChillZi said:

Also I noticed everyone in here uses a gtx 1060/1070/1080 card.

Good catch, ChillZi. 

http://www.techradar.com/news/heres-why-you-should-hold-off-on-installing-nvidias-latest-drivers

It appears some users may be experiencing some issues with the latest Nvidia drivers. Could everyone please try rolling back to the 375.70 drivers and confirm whether or not you still experience these problems with Warframe?

We also recommend using a program like Display Driver Uninstaller to completely wipe away the Nvidia drivers you currently have installed.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Good catch, ChillZi. 

http://www.techradar.com/news/heres-why-you-should-hold-off-on-installing-nvidias-latest-drivers

It appears some users may be experiencing some issues with the latest Nvidia drivers. Could everyone please try rolling back to the 375.70 drivers and confirm whether or not you still experience these problems with Warframe?

We also recommend using a program like Display Driver Uninstaller to completely wipe away the Nvidia drivers you currently have installed.

Thanks.

After playing through the war within, I did a DDU uninstall of all my drivers in safe mode and reinstalled to 375.70 and was still having issues with physx on. This was on Saturday morning right after the release of the update (before my first response on this topic) so I can confirm this is happening on 375.70 with a clean install.

Nvidia just released a new driver, 375.86, perhaps I'll give it whirl with physx on to see if the issue still happens. Been so busy haven't had a whole lot of time to test.

Edit: Was able to test 375.86 with physx and I can confirm the same issue is happening. I tried two 20min void fissure survivals on the corpus ship tile set. The first attempt was on Invite only status and I had two friends with me (Both of them have gtx 970, one asus one EVGA and they have not had any issues with warframe). Before the mission I had ~160 fps in the liset, 55-90 fps in-game, and returned to the liset with my ~160fps after 20min. The Second attempt was on public, same friends and one pub. My friends and I equipped the Jat Kittag for maximum jump slam particles and I started in the liset with ~160fps, and in the mission the frame rate gradually decreased to the lowest at about 34fps. When I returned to the liset I then had a max fps of 62.

(It should also be noted that, while my pc build is not the best, I feel like any of the 10 series cards paired with a 4th gen I5 should be more than capable of running this game at a steady 60 host or client and it feels like even with physx off that performance seems difficult to keep steady. However turning physx off does seem to fix the gradual fps loss over time and that this is the ONLY game I seem to have difficulties running. The short version of what I'm trying to say is that I think this issue might go beyond just physx and may be deeper rooted into issues with the 10 series and possible some 900s)

Edited by SmokeyJesus

16 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Good catch, ChillZi. 

Thanks.

Thank you [DE]Dmitri. I will try to roll back to an old driver and see what it does. Also tested with companions unequipped but it didn't change anything. I too think it has to be the drivers. Sorry it took so long to post because I was streaming warframe the last days and I just had no time to test this out.

Edited by ChillZi
Typo

On 11/17/2016 at 3:07 AM, [DE]Dmitri said:

Good catch, ChillZi. 

Thanks.

I can confirm this, Dmitri.

Any version revolving around 375.* has some significant memory issues. After a mission, the frames per second is still low despite being in the Liset and off the maps, such as the Grineer Galleon.

Just recently reverted to 373.06, about a month before the major driver patch went on. After playing a game or two, the frame rate returns as normal. From 52 FPS to 25 FPS then back to 52.

I'm no programmer, but I think it must have something to do with the graphics looping where the data just keeps ramping on something that doesn't even exist anymore.

Having Dual 970's here in SLI mode one is for physX and one is for the normal rendering in WF I see same issues and I stream for sessions longer then one tileset, I stream sessions longer then 6 hours, have not closed the game in that 6 hours and it runs fine "ish", the issue sometimes is with void fissures that the FPS drops drastically and becomes almost unplayable.

I don't seem to get the issue you guys have but on some occasions my game dips towards 30+- frames a second and lower.

To note the most boggling issue is that while having these issues it is definitely a memory leak in physx again, I've seen that before and before, although do not expect to get good performance with A grade GPU's becasue WF is a CPU bound game.

Chao, The Roaring Lion

Edited by TheRoaringLion

I am also expriencing this problem where warframe drops to low FPS after an extended period of time. I have also experienced freezing where the game is actually playing in the background but the video-output itself isn't. I have everything maxed out except for physx and i really want to turn it on as soon as possible, therefore please try to fix this problem for our sakes.
I used the advice [DE]Dmitri gave us but still no success.

My rig:

I7 6700k
Asus 1070 strix
16gb 2133hz ram

EDIT 1: I think the problem lies in 64bit mode, if i disable it then the game works fine with 140+ FPS. Problem is that PhysX doesn't work without 64bit. Also i have no v-sync on and my monitor has a 144hz refresh rate, i tested it on a 60hz monitor and still got the same results. I updated the drivers to check if it solved the problem but it didn't, i also reverted back to 375.70 but still got the same problem. I don't even need to go to a mission for it to drop to 30fps, it just happens overtime. Trying to lower the graphics didn't increase my framerate either so i think it's something bugging it down, maybe the PhysX particles don't dissappear correctly so the GPU still calculates and it weighs the performance down? Like stacking equations one after one before you can finish the first.

EDIT 2: Ok, so i have disabled Nvidia share and overwolf and it seems that the game is working fine with PhysX again, i've let it run for about 45min now and it's still over 300 fps inside the ship, i've done a couple of missions with minimal FPS loss. It seems that the problem is either Nvidia Share or Overwolf although i think it's Nvidia share that is the problem since almost everybody here has 10X0 generation of cards. Disable your Nvidia Share to see if that solves the problem for you!

Solution: I can now confirm that it is Nvidia Share that is causing this issue, in my pc atleast. I've tried running warframe with physx on whilst overwolf was active and it was working perfectly fine. In conclusion if you want to play with Physx without warframe going down to 30fps after a while you'll have to disable Nvidia share in the settings; http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4228/~/how-to-disable-the-geforce-experience-share-in-game-overlay

Edited by BlueFlameFIreZ

Hello, 

I'm having the same problem here, my overclocking friend gets 10 more fps with a gtx 980, I run on about 50fps basically anywhere, only on the start of the mission I get 80 fps, everything set to low/high doesn't matter for me... Sad to see newer games/any overall 2016 games running on 100+ fps and warframe that was released ~3 years ago runs poorly, this needs to be fixed immediately!

My RIG:

i7 6700 skylake

Gigabyte Gtx1070 8gb

8gb DDR4 memory

Windows 10 64-bit

Driver version 375.70

EDIT: I updated drivers to Newest 376.10 I think and now it gave me 30 fps more but it's still not best.

Edited by -Handy-